Page 1 of 6
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Who in your opinion is the most talented songwriter musically? Just forget about lyrics for a second. I personally think Billy Joel is the greatest. All of his arrangments are fantastic. Captain Jack, Ballad of Billy The Kid, Angry Young Man... the list goes on. Not only did he write all of his piano lines, but he wrote all of the guitar licks and progressions, all of the bass lines, and everything else that goes with the songs. Listen to the song Summer, Highland Falls for some of the greatest musicianship and songwriting ever... its probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
slash_015
Der_Mauerfahrwerk!
760 IQ
oh yeah John Lennon...great. That's right!!!
Knedl mid Soß. Des moga!
nighttrain
77 IQ
jimmy page,nikki sixx and johnny cash
The Blues had a baby,called it Rock N Roll,Rock N Roll had a baby,called it.....Joe Perry.
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?
*Official Deadhead*

Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, George Harrison, Frank Zappa.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Man... Billy Joel gettin' no love? Why so hard?
*Official Deadhead*

TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
Jeff Beck
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
Frank Zappa
Syd Barret
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
Peaceful Rocker
Banned
1,518 IQ
Jimmi Page wrote the guitar parts for Leds stuff, and we aren't talking about the best guitarist.. songwritting, meaning lyrics.. and the overall layout of the song.
So saying Jimmi Page is almost as bad is that one idiot that thought ozzy was in acdc.. lol
nighttrain
77 IQ
Quote by trey-col89
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?

uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK
The Blues had a baby,called it Rock N Roll,Rock N Roll had a baby,called it.....Joe Perry.
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.
*Official Deadhead*

trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by nighttrain
uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK

And this makes him the greatest musical songwriter because? He was an average guitarist and an alright songwriter, but just because he's "JIMMY ****IN PAGE" doesn't mean shit.
*Official Deadhead*

nighttrain
77 IQ
Quote by trey-col89
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.

lyrics or music...BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK
nighttrain
77 IQ
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Not to mention Jimmy Page lifted most of his work from older blues artists
*Official Deadhead*

nighttrain
77 IQ
Quote by trey-col89
Not to mention Jimmy Page lifted most of his work from older blues artists

so?it made him great,did you know chick berry didnt write his own music or songs?johnnie johnson did,but it still made chuck great
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by nighttrain
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins

Have you ever actually listened to Billy Joel? Probably not. I'm sorry you need to resort to name calling and insulting to prove your point, I wasn't aware you are 12 years old.
*Official Deadhead*

nighttrain
77 IQ
iwasnt aware i was 12 either.and yes i have listened to billy joel and he sucks
Burpin'Worm
773 IQ
Paul MaCartney. I saw a programme about how he was using lots of different composition techniques that hadn't been used in modern music before, only in classical etc. I hadn't really realised until then how innovative he was. I think one example to composer was giving was the end of Elanor Rigby.
« »
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by nighttrain
so?it made him great,did you know chick berry didnt write his own music or songs?johnnie johnson did,but it still made chuck great

What do you mean so? So if its not his actual music how can he be a great song writer? Exactly. Good day
*Official Deadhead*

38 IQ
Pete Townshend by a mile!
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by nighttrain
iwasnt aware i was 12 either.and yes i have listened to billy joel and he sucks

Oh well... at least he actually wrote his own music
*Official Deadhead*

nighttrain
77 IQ
name some songs jimmy lifted
Pl3h-B0y
UG's Egyptian
55 IQ
AHEM. nighttrain, not meaning to offend you or anything, but do you know the difference between a piano and a guitar??

Piano:

Guitar:

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I think it takes more skill to play a decent song on a piano than on a guitar isnt it??
mama let that boy, play some rock n roll
Quote by vanceboy
ah, well, Pl3h-B0y is the real deal, so what he says goes.

Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Cptbeefheart to join!
Name That Riff!
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Dazed and Confused and Whole Lotta Love are two pretty big ones. Theres a website somewhere that has all of the songs. Ask Derigible he's more knowledgable about Jimmy's thievery.
*Official Deadhead*

Maet
906 IQ
My n00bie sense is tingling.....

Anyway, Paul McCartney or the boys of Rush for me.
nighttrain
77 IQ
Quote by Pl3h-B0y
AHEM. nighttrain, not meaning to offend you or anything, but do you know the difference between a piano and a guitar??

Piano:

Guitar:

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I think it takes more skill to play a decent song on a piano than on a guitar isnt it??

OMG I WASNT AWARE THEY WERE DIFFERENT and yes it probably does take more skill to play piano.some asswipe starts a thread asking who someones favorite musician is,they they start pointing out they stole this they sound like that while the person they like is like the man of steel,hes untouchable.if it wasnt for led zeppelin,**** knows where music would have went.jimmy page writes simple riffs which to me sound better than any 10 min guitar solo thingy that malmsteen or vai plays,and no im not saying those guys suck.take a look at the beginning of zeppelins bring it on home(i know its a cover) and rock and roll,little blues licks that were used and still are used in blues and rock n roll and always will be.and if the artists who jimmy "lifted"his stuff from thought he stole it,wouldnt they have sued him?eddie van halen learned to play guitar by lifting every clapton lick and putting it into his own style,and clapton never sued him.SHAME ON EDDIE AND JIMMY
Pl3h-B0y
UG's Egyptian
55 IQ
But there's no denying it, jimmy did steal some songs and made them into his own, then claimed it was his, just like bob dylan took poetry and made them into his own songs (i think)
Quote by vanceboy

Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Cptbeefheart to join!
Name That Riff!
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
I'm an asswhipe because I wanted to know why people favored certain musicians and why they felt that the musicianship of that person is better than others? All you did was come in here and suck Jimmy Pages dick saying something along the lines of "BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****ING PAGE". So i said just because hes Jimmy Page doesn't mean ****. Then you felt like you had to insult me and the person I picked, which is why I brought up the fact that he stole songs from people. Download the song Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes which came out years before Zeppelin's. I mean, come one, they didn't even change the name. The riffs are the exact same.
*Official Deadhead*

frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
Quote by Pl3h-B0y
But there's no denying it, jimmy did steal some songs and made them into his own, then claimed it was his, just like bob dylan took poetry and made them into his own songs (i think)

I don't think many of the riffs or the actual "songwriting aspect was stolen." Usually it's just lyrics that Plant took. There are a couple cases or so, like Black Mountain Side or Dazed And Confused. I still think he was a good songwriter, definitely not the best though.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Actually, Page didn't discredit the original artists, Atlantic records did. I'll admit Page didn't do too much to stop them doing it, but it was still Atlantic that was responsible.
nighttrain
77 IQ
Quote by trey-col89
I'm an asswhipe because I wanted to know why people favored certain musicians and why they felt that the musicianship of that person is better than others? All you did was come in here and suck Jimmy Pages dick saying something along the lines of "BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****ING PAGE". So i said just because hes Jimmy Page doesn't mean ****. Then you felt like you had to insult me and the person I picked, which is why I brought up the fact that he stole songs from people. Download the song Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes which came out years before Zeppelin's. I mean, come one, they didn't even change the name. The riffs are the exact same.

oh well it still made him great
Pl3h-B0y
UG's Egyptian
55 IQ
Well then, there you go, frippogenics pwned me. But come on we're going off-topic. Wouldnt roger waters be a good songwriter? not saying he's the best, but he was good.
Quote by vanceboy

Name That Riff!
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Quote by Pl3h-B0y
Well then, there you go, frippogenics pwned me. But come on we're going off-topic. Wouldnt roger waters be a good songwriter? not saying he's the best, but he was good.

Roger Waters is an incredible writer, both musically and lyrically.
nighttrain
77 IQ
who care if they stole this and that.it made zeppelin great and it made their songs great.if it bothers you so much napoleon dynamite,use your brothers time machine,go back to 1969 and stop page from stealing the songs.
Jesse Mrau
148 IQ
^Well, first off: This thread is about musical songwriters/arrangers. And you blatently said Jimmy Page, nobody would have cared so much IF you put a reason down, and when you were asked you said: "HE'S JIMMY ****IN PAGE!!", hypothetically with your reasoning...I could be the best: "IT'S JESSE ****IN MRAU!!" there. Now am I the best? No! Did that statement make me? NO! And another thing, it wouldn't be so bad, if Jimmy Page and the rest of Zeppelin maybe gave credit where it was due.:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Now, I am not a Jimmy Page, so I will say where I got that information from: http://www.warr.org/zep.html

And, anywho I am done. But I haven't given my opinion yet, so I would say: John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival, his songs are just so simple, that people would ask: "Why had it never been done before?" Or Simon & Garfunkel, for their shear brilliance.
Maet
906 IQ
Quote by nighttrain
who care if they stole this and that.it made zeppelin great and it made their songs great.if it bothers you so much napoleon dynamite,use your brothers time machine,go back to 1969 and stop page from stealing the songs.

Is there such a thing as the UG n00b awards? Oh please tell me such a thing exists!