Page 1 of 36
oblique
Classic Metal Alt Grunger
559 IQ
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but anyway...
I heard them for the first time a few days ago and was really impressed, I've downloaded a few tracks and will be getting In Absentia soon. The fact that they've been labeled prog might turn some people off, but the songwriting is great and Steve Wilson's vocals are just awesome. Great musicianship too, and while they do have some stereotypical 12 minute prog epics I much prefer the shorter songs that I've heard. Blackest Eyes, Trains, and Sound of Muzak are awesome.

Anyone else like them?
funkyrabbit7
rock god
10 IQ
I've also recently found out about them, and I really like them
lol the fact that they've been labelled prog may in fact turn some people off but it can also make some people give them a chance, and to speak the truth they are mostly prog except for some tracks in wich tehy vary the musica they play...
Anyway I recommende them
"it's not bleeding but it hurts here..."
AsianPirate
I Eat Plastic
221 IQ
go to waaf.com and go to the In-Studio Tunes on the left- find them- there's Sound Of Muzak and Lazarus acoustic- they're wonderful
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
oblique
559 IQ
Quote by funkyrabbit7
I've also recently found out about them, and I really like them
lol the fact that they've been labelled prog may in fact turn some people off but it can also make some people give them a chance, and to speak the truth they are mostly prog except for some tracks in wich tehy vary the musica they play...
Anyway I recommende them

Well, from what I've heard they're more Pink Floyd prog than "Let's throw as many weird time signatures as we can into this song" prog. Which is the stereotype a lot of people have when they think about prog, and luckily there are no 3 minute synth solos in the songs I've heard.
drunken ninja
310 IQ
yea porcupine tree is amazing. in absentia and deadwing are both great albums.
oblique
559 IQ
I guess... but Pink Floyd gets put in Classic Rock, and Porcupine Tree doesn't have that much in common with Yes or Kansas.
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
They're an amazing band. I've got four or five albums from them and I could quite happily listen to them end on end (but I don't).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
ChurchNSkate
UG's JS/Laney/Carvin user
407 IQ
^No...Porcupine Tree is Progressive.

Pink Floyd isn't progressive, at least I haven't heard any prog in them. They're 100% classic (if psychodelic) rock.

Porcupine Tree is all progressive goodness.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
Porcupine Tree is teh pwnzzz!

seriously I love this band to death, and lyrically their's is some of the finest stuff I've seen... ever...
a lotta people complained about their shift to a heavier sound in their more recent albums like "In Absentia" and "Deadwing", but I think that they still incorporated their best musical elements from their older albums into a different framework. Great ****ing band, god bless Steve Wilson.
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
I've heard about this band I'm really into prog metal at the moment, wanting to get into more earlier prog as well....I suppose "In Abstentia" and "Deadwing" are good places to start? I hear those albums mentioned the most.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
^Interesting, I'll try to check those out. Thanks.
chase09
Guthrie Govan > You
556 IQ
hmm, im listening to soundclips from their site for deadwing. i must say its pretty good. cant wait for my parents to get back from some company christmas party for my dads work so i can show them to him.
ChildofBodom
Snide Remark-Maker
13 IQ
Incredible band. Everything they've done is complete class. I'd go for On the Sunday of Life or Stupid Dream (out of print, check eBay!) first, but that's me. Also, look for the cassette stuff! It's awesome.
InfiniteSadness
34 IQ
Love PT, I saw them two weeks ago (third time this year..) and they were awesome, they're real good when performing live.

And check out some songs from their whole back catalogue, beautiful music.

I want the dvd to come out, I'm sure it will be worth buying, does anyone have some information about the setlist?
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
Quote by «ÃFireÏnside»
I've heard about this band I'm really into prog metal at the moment, wanting to get into more earlier prog as well....I suppose "In Abstentia" and "Deadwing" are good places to start? I hear those albums mentioned the most.

Personally I wouldn't recommend 'Deadwing'. It's a decent album, but in comparison to 'Stupid dream', 'in absentia' and 'lightbulb sun' it's really quite poor.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
^Thanks, I managed to get a few tracks off In Abstentia and I quite liked them, inspired me to try to get more stuff from them. I really like their sound, quite cool. Different then stuff I'm normally into but I could really get into this stuff.
gimme_fuel_89
UG's crazy warehouse guy
374 IQ
I love PT, I don't know why they haven't gained more commercial success. They're amazingly talented and their music is very accessible.
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
I just downloaded a bunch, and i must say, i ****in love it.

Thank you, all of you, for turning me on to them.

btw, any specific songs you guys can reccomend?
Im not gonna be able to buy anything to a while after christmas.
Last edited by PooKoo at Dec 24, 2005,
anthonyzoso89
24 IQ
The Moon Touches Your Shoulder

The Sky Moves Sideways (phase one)

Mellotron Scratch
oblique
559 IQ
Trains is brilliant, just an amazing song. Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes are great too. I haven't heard much of their stuff either, I'll be getting an album as soon as I have the money.
Dreadnought
Infinite & Momentary
5,068 IQ
Quote by oblique
Trains is brilliant, just an amazing song. Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes are great too. I haven't heard much of their stuff either, I'll be getting an album as soon as I have the money.

Man, I LOVE trains. Definitely my favorite song off of In Absentia.

Porcupine Tree are amazing... My MOHAA name is Porcupine Tree
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
benchiefjr
UG's Metalcore Guitarist
217 IQ
Are there any other bands that sound like PT, because IMO Porcupine Tree are absolutely brilliant
Steel instruments shine in
A lively light of green substance
Dead or alive
Bodies and souls are waiting for the contact with these macabre tools
They are only creations made alive
SGRocker0791
Banned
462 IQ
Quote by oblique
The fact that they've been labeled prog might turn some people off,...

Doesn't for me. I've heard about Porcupine Tree on the Progforum before, I might check them out.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth >
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
awesome. fav songs are

Trains
lazarus
blackest eyes
chloroform
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
I ab-so-****ing-lutely love PT. They're ****in awesome to listen to. They're one of the few bands that I listen to that chicks dont have a problem with (its pretty hard trying to get your ****in groove on when you've got a tech death metal band in the background, lol.)
narmi
Into Cold Darkness
208 IQ
Excellent band

I have Deadwing and In Absentia

I have heard Lightbulb Sun

Yeah, I'm a bit of a PT n00b
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
They're one of the few bands that I listen to that chicks dont have a problem with (its pretty hard trying to get your ****in groove on when you've got a tech death metal band in the background, lol.)

Dude, just buy one Michael Bolton album. You'll be set for life.
Musicman48858
212 IQ
Quote by gimme_fuel_89
What are the best songs off Deadwing?

Deadwing
Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
Mellotron Scratch

or, if you're more of a metal fan than a prog fan
Open Car
Shallow