Page 5 of 36
Ah, the PT thread. I always forget about it because it's in the shred (&prog) forum.

Bought the new album 2 days ago, I think it has to sink in a little bit more in order to give a better judgement but it seems like it's a more mellow album than Deadwing (definitely not their heaviest) but it's still very good. It has two real rock songs and the other four are ballads or just mellow tracks, awesome soundscapes though, it's a very emotional album.

I'm seeing them in June, it's going to be my fourth PT concert.
Last edited by InfiniteSadness at Apr 19, 2007,
Yes but it inclued the heaviest track they ever made (anesthetize) thought I haven't heard it yet everyone says its their heaviest.I cant wait 5 more days and it's released in the u.s!
In May it'll be my first PT concert..I cant waiittt
Quote by PTfan
Probably more then you, I've been grubbing at every bit of info on it i can since about 2 months ago
BTW there was a music video to the main titled song on FoaBP but it was removed today due to the tragedy at virginia tech.(The video included kids with guns)

EDIT: is it back up pooKoo?

Well I guess we know who's the bigger fan then!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Well I guess we know who's the bigger fan then!

:P

Yes! Yesterday got the email, FoaBP has been shipped..Can't wait!
Bought Fear Of A Blank Planet today.

It's pretty much standard PT, which is rather dissapointing really. There are moments of flat out awesomeness (end of Way Out Of Here, almost all of Anesthetize), but nothing of such beauty as Lazarus or Collapse The Light Into Earth.

There's some definite moments of inspiration from Meshuggah, suprisingly enough. Especially awesome then.

One thing I noticed is at 3:51 of Sentimental, it's the EXACT SAME chord progression as Trains.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I noticed that as well duncang, I was like "wtf trains?!" upon first listen. The album took some time to sink in for me, as I got into the more radio friendly tracks (FoaBP, My Ashes) first rather than the prog masterpiece Anesthetize...but that song is absolutely amazing, definitely a big Meshuggah element to the heavy part in it. Also, there was one riff in there, I think it's at around the 6:50 mark - it sounds almost like a Godsmack riff, haha.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
I've heard it takes more then a few listens to really appreciate it as a great album.Most people that have listened to it think its the best album by PT yet.I'll just have to wait till I have it to judge it for myself.
Quote by PooKoo
i wish they'd go back to their mellow days. But still, I'm excited for this cd.

I, on the other hand love their heavier stuff, as well as their lighter stuff.I hope the cd arrives tomorrow, I can barely wait!
The new album wasnt their best imo.

I am a big fan of deadwing and in absentia (and I do like older PT, but I only listen to it when im trying to sleep usually because its so mellow.).

Fear of a Blank Planet is an awesome song, with good meaning behind it.

Anesethize is alright, good solo. I don't like My Ashes or Sentimental, too slow and boring. Other songs are alright.

One question, I read that Alex Lifeson and Robert Fripp played in the album? Anyone know where, if they did. I was thinking that solo could be from one of them.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Piano Lessons(except for the link to the music video)

Amazing song. Also, did anyone find Shallow an odd song for them, I'm not a diehard fan like some of you butI really love that song, PT plays good heavy suff. Do they have any other songs with the more metalish feel that Shallow has?
i liked sentimental actually. i like the mellow stuff they do, its very...well, mellow. and relaxed. the first song is rather heavy, or at least, more so than the others on the album.

Amazing song. Also, did anyone find Shallow an odd song for them, I'm not a diehard fan like some of you butI really love that song, PT plays good heavy suff. Do they have any other songs with the more metalish feel that Shallow has?

blackest eyes from in absentia? that ones is rather heavy, compared to the rest of their songs. or some of deadwing.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
Quote by guitarhero_764
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Piano Lessons(except for the link to the music video)

All of their songs are so great, you can't really single out Piano Lessons as being significantly better, but it one of their better pop-sounding songs
Quote by PooKoo
yes you can, piano lessons is amazing.

Yes, but so is most of PTs' work
Quote by PTfan
Yes, but so is most of PTs' work

ya, it really is. Piano Lessons always stuck out for me though, even though it's no better than the rest, I really love it.

Anyways, bought the new one bout an hour ago.
GO BUY IT!
it did not dissapoint me, and that's surprising, so far my favorite songs are my ashes and way out of here.
I listened to their album about 7 times so far, and it truly is an awesome blend of heavy and mellow music.The string arrangements are awsesome!! Maybe their best album yet, it really defines the PT sound.
Can not wait to get my hands on the new PT. Hoping it will be another good one.
Last edited by GhostofSanity at Apr 27, 2007,
It is! just don't judge by your first listen, you have to listen to it a few times for it to really sink in
i've only listened through once so far, but i really like it. Still not my fav. but all their music takes time to sink in with me, that's why i love them.

For example, when i first heard lips of ashes, i hated that song, now it's one of my favorites by them.
Right now I'm listening to it for about the 10th time..You really have to listen to it through a good stereo system.I tried listening to it on my small radio/cd player but it just sounds terrible.Right now i'm listening to it on my dads stereo.Damn that solo by Alex is so dark and moody! I love this album, can't wait to see them live!
Quote by PTfan
Right now I'm listening to it for about the 10th time..You really have to listen to it through a good stereo system.I tried listening to it on my small radio/cd player but it just sounds terrible.Right now i'm listening to it on my dads stereo.Damn that solo by Alex is so dark and moody! I love this album, can't wait to see them live!

It's the solo on Anesethize right?
Porcupine Tree are one of my favorite bands at the moment. All I have is Deadwing (although the case is autographed by the band, lucky me), but it's just so freakin' awesome.

I saw them live last fall, and the entire first set was made up of the new songs on Fear of a Blank Planet. We weren't told the titles of the songs, but I was able to match up one of the songs to Anesthetize, because it was really long and it owned.
Quote by PTfan
It is! just don't judge by your first listen, you have to listen to it a few times for it to really sink in

Porcupine Tree was a very hard band to get into at first, so I used to listen to their albums a few times before making a final judgment (which is that they are one of the most brilliant bands that I've heard ). So yeah, I'll let this one sink in once I buy it.

Also, I seen a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet at FYE that was in a box for about $24. Can anyone give me details on this? I want to know if it's worth the extra money. Cheers in advance.
Last edited by GhostofSanity at May 1, 2007,
YES it is worth the money!
I wish I could've got my hands on one it comes with an extended 40 page booklet,the dvd surround sound version of FoaBP which I heard sounds absolutely AMAZING if you have the right equipment, and its signed I think..It's limited to somewhere in between 1 and 5 thousand copies, not sure exactly.Btw they are going on ebay for up to 100 dollars already.+ there is differant artwork on the CD ect..
Last edited by PTfan at May 1, 2007,
I recently came across them as well, when i was listening to one of the bands from UG, called Tetra-something (cant remember, sorry about that), and Porcupine Tree was one of their friends. Im a big fan of the song Mellotron Scratch.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

That was my favorite song when I first discovered PT ^
If you're looking to buy any albums I'd say go for In Absentia to start
I've got the new album, it as hasn't really sunk in so no comment yet. What would you guys say is PT's mellowest album?
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Love the new album and loved the gig in Glasgow

Anyone know what album Mother and Child Divided is on?

I'm guessing it's not on one....
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Damn, it sounded great live. Do you have it? Any chance you can send it to me?
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
The studio version of it is on the 2nd disc of "arriving somewhere.." dvd. I recommend buying the dvd, Its awsome!
Quote by PTfan
The studio version of it is on the 2nd disc of "arriving somewhere.." dvd. I recommend buying the dvd, Its awsome!

lol I've got it, just never watched the 2nd disc

Quote by MaAal_MaAan

Last.FM
^My bad you can watch the projection with the live version of Mother and Child Divided on the 2nd disc, but the studio version is played with the credits at the end of the first dvd

Edit: If you want, I could probably make it into a music file and send it to ya
Last edited by PTfan at May 2, 2007,