Page 1 of 2
enfilade
Banned
20 IQ
i think most people would say robert johnston, but possibly charlie patton
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
Robert Johnson because he influenced so many blues players, and classic rock guitarists
zxZoSoxz
Just lookin for some tush
47 IQ
On me? or in general?

On me I'd probably say early Clapton (Cream, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds)

In general I'd say Robert Johnson.
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
I declare it hurt be so bad, when I heard she'd got to go.
False_God
ios 5 compatible
8,046 IQ
Since I'm Irish I'll have to say rory G...But in general hmmm, probly hendrix or clapton
Rising
1,730 IQ
hi, im new to the blues thing, im a metal/shred oriented player, but ive been incorporating more blues inspired soloing mixed with what i do, after hearing Stevie ray vaughn

i hear alot of this robert johnson person, that he's good, can someone tell me the name of his band and soem songs so i can check it out, thanks

heh.. for me its Dimebag Darrel and Jimi Hendrix
misfits385
Scanned
283 IQ
Quote by Rising
hi, im new to the blues thing, im a metal/shred oriented player, but ive been incorporating more blues inspired soloing mixed with what i do, after hearing Stevie ray vaughn

i hear alot of this robert johnson person, that he's good, can someone tell me the name of his band and soem songs so i can check it out, thanks

heh.. for me its Dimebag Darrel and Jimi Hendrix

Dimebag isn't a blues guitarist.
Quote by utsapp89
CRUSHING
SLAMMING
BROCOLI!
Face it, t3h MG mini-stack pwns your face.
Rising
1,730 IQ
Quote by misfits385
Dimebag isn't a blues guitarist.

i know he's not, but hes an influencial guitarist to me in general

EDIT : oops i didnt see that it said ''blues musician''
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Son House took the music from the fields and turned it into a holler that penetrated the work of Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf among others...

That's pretty influential.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
jayr123guitar
YOU NEED MORE GUITAR
1,807 IQ
Quote by Rising

His only recordings date from the 30's and it's just him playing and singing. Look up "Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings". These are really old but are and were so influential to so many musicians. Listen to how it sounds so much like 2 or even 3 guitarists and then remember it's only him. You've probably heard Crossroads by Cream, that is a Johnson tune (As well as more than a few dozen tracks Clapton has released over the years) If you're as into metal as you say you may have to really try your best to get into this stuff. You won't be dissapointed if you do.
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref
4,054 IQ
mine is SRV...

altthough the only guy who makes me very sad when he plays certain songs is Clapton.

however, I'd say in general for everyone it would be Robert Johnson or BB King... because EVERY famous blues musician talks about either one of those two...
Looking for my India/Django.
AxeAbuser#2
binned
31 IQ
BB king, eric clapton and Roy Buchanan. All three of them can make me have many mixed emotions at any one time, thats whats great about them all
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by redwing_suck

altthough the only guy who makes me very sad when he plays certain songs is Clapton.

Me too. Every album after the mid 70's, pretty much.

Dirtydeeds468
UG Monkey
948 IQ
Definitely Robert Johnson...
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Jun 8, 2007,
Angus76
Mr. Tinkertrain
706 IQ
Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
crawlup0123
21 IQ
Clapton and Hendrix are a definite influence.

For real true blues, though, i gotta say Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, and Albert King.

Some had more of an influence than others but i had to mention them all. (no order)
crawlup0123
21 IQ
i dont know how i did it , but i forgot to mention Son House. but im saying it right now, you cant forget Son House. I mean come on, he was an influence to even Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, thats gotta mean something
Led N' Roses
mojoworkin
325 IQ
robert johnson...w.c. handy....and ill tell you someone else who has some good tunes is arthur "big boy" crudup...he is the essence of memphis blues
The blues had a child...it was called rock and roll
alantra
32 IQ
there is only one real answer for me and that SRV. he showed me the meaning of feeling rather than thinking and what a real explosion is "third stone from the sun"
evvo_gc_fan
UG's Telecaster
406 IQ
SRV is awesome. my current fav blues player is a guy called Tab Benoit. check him out - he is incredible on the guitar and has one hell of a voice
"What about the neighbours?? What they gonna say?? Stop little sister getting carried away" - SRV. The greatest guitarist of all time.
Quote by R_H_C_P

Evvo_gc_fan is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Quote by ScarredFaith

I liked it.
Is it about fucking?
Alex S.
All you need is love
950 IQ
Just started getting into blues playing after listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. A lot of my playing is starting to sound like his style of playing. I just love his sound, his feel, and it seems he is really into the music. That makes a good blues guitarist in my opinion
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
This thread is mighty ambiguous..

satchboogie_123
276 IQ
Robert Johnson sarted it all
"I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie"
eltravo
358 IQ
for me its SRV, followed closley by Albert & B.B. King
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
srv_numberone
Blues Player and Lover
12 IQ
srv influenced me to play the blues, and that turned me onto many different players, like albert king and clapton. but in general the most influential blues guitarist is robert johnson. you see his style copied the most, look at clapton
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
Quote by Encore_God
Me too. Every album after the mid 70's, pretty much.

...so true.

Influential on me: Clapton, Hendrix

Influential in general: RJ, Son House...has anyone said Leadbelly yet?
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
vantage4
299 IQ
Quote by CrazedGuitarist
Buddy Guy

roger that, goose. buddy guy live....damn he is amazing, his playing isn't all as old school as bb king's so i don't think he gets as much recognition but if anyone here hasn't seen one of his shows, they should. albert king and muddy waters are both also very inspiring.
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!
262 IQ
Quote by evvo_gc_fan
SRV is awesome. my current fav blues player is a guy called Tab Benoit. check him out - he is incredible on the guitar and has one hell of a voice

I'll second good old Tab Benoit. He is an INCREDIBLE guitar player. His voice is great. Just an all around great blues artist, and thank God he was discovered because he is great.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Noah Halvorson
21 IQ
Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield, my father, Jeff Healey (though he is sometimes rather rock-oriented), and Duane Allman (though not a pure blues guitarist, blues is intrinsic in his style)
pyrochris
71 IQ
Quote by CrazedGuitarist
Buddy Guy

+1...

He had a big role in the british invasion due to his early performances in Britain. He was a major influence and inspiration for Clapton, Hendrix, Keith richards, Townshend, Jeff Beck, and many more. And those people also went on to influence the next generation of guitarists. So both directly and indirectly, Buddy was pretty damn influential.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Blues Breaker
289 IQ
For me its gotta be early Clapton. i can't dig anything after Derek. Peter Green and Rory G and Duane Allman in third.

Is it just me but i cant dig SRV. i have two CD's on my computer (couldnt Stand The Weather and Texas Flood) but i dont see whats so great about him. His Playing does not appeal to me, at all. I Hear soooo much about him but i dont get it. I would like to listen to him. Am I The only one????
pyrochris
71 IQ
^^^ you are not the only one. I don't know, I just think he's a little over the top and annoying. But us listeners are allowed to be picky .
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
claptonfan55
Bluesius Maximus
408 IQ
Quote by zxZoSoxz

On me I'd probably say early Clapton (Cream, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds)

Me too.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton