Page 5 of 19
Quote by destroy_techno
Seeing them in july along with Napalm Death and Warbringer. Should be killer.

thats gonna be one good show.
Quote by Stranglehold
Pierced from Within = Possibly my favourite DM album ever.

SUFFOCATION IN CORK APRIL 20th!!!!! This is gonna be insane, they cancelled the last two Irish dates, they better not do it again.

PFW definitely IS my favorite death album of all time. In my opinion, it has never been outdone and probably never will.
Thrones of Blood makes me go buckape mental, I cant wait to see it live. That and Torn Into Enthrallment
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
The bass intro to Depths of Depravity is pretty cool

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
^ Hells yes it owns. Ive been trying to learn Souls To Deny this week, and I have successfully mangled my fingers.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
haha, Surgery of Impalement murdered my fingers also. The solo is fantastic. I played it to my granny and she nearly fell out of her wheelchair

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile
And yes Suffocation in Cork!!!!! I heard its all ages too :S
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
I talked the folks at my local bar into putting STD into the jukebox. I'm the only one in my local area, that I know of, that even knows what's going on. The speechlessness and grimaces of pain are priceless.
Quote by sevenchurches
haha, Surgery of Impalement murdered my fingers also. The solo is fantastic. I played it to my granny and she nearly fell out of her wheelchair

br00tal.

And yeah 11thHour, theyre playing 2 gigs on the same day, the all ages one at 2pm and the proper one at 8pm.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Hey, who's your favorite guitarist from Suffocation: Terrance Hobbs, Doug Cerrito, or Guy Marchais? Whoever it is, tell why they are your favorite also.
Alrighty, I've officially gotten addicted to Suffo now

I've been listening to them while I do exercise (mainly weights ), and I can't get enough. Based on the respect I've seen them get as far as Live stuff goes, I'm quite keen to witness it for myself .

Does anyone know if they are working on new material? Because their s/t is fucking excellent - especially Frank's Vocals, BRUTAL is an understatement .
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Jun 4, 2008,
Yeah theyre working on a new album, 'Blood Oath' which should be out late 2009.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Yeah man, I've been listening to s/t all week!
"Youa are so beautiful - i bathe myself in entrails of you" - NO one says it like suffocation, not even a hallmark card.

Apparantley new album is called Blood Oath? other than that i know ****all about it

edit: yah, what stranglehold said
Frank saying 'get 5 guinnesses up here' in a Noo Yoik accent is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
powerhead, I love that song - I laughed pretty hard the first time I heard it. I went "Oh, what a lovely song, so romantic ".

Cheers Stranglehold, looking forward to that now .
As am I, buddy! I dont think they have ever had a bad album, so we should be ok. Well, I havent heard Despise The Sun in full yet, but it sounded ok when I heard it.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^ lol

Redemption is really kick ass song... I love the riff just after the song kicks in. It's so goddam weird

shmedit: lol was to bassist which is a monkey
Last edited by powerhead at Jun 4, 2008,
Need to get some Suffocation. Only have Abomination Reborn, WANT MOAR.

Effigy of the Forgotten and the s/t are on the to-do list. Good choice?
^ Add Pierced From Within and youre on the way to a winner... Pierced/Effigy can be found in a handy double pack thingy.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Smith is the quietest guy ever, didnt say much after the gig, people just kind of shook his hand and walked away...He talks a lot of crap though, he seems to think Suffocation should be on Geffen records, and have a regular slot on Conan O'Brien or something. Oh well, better than being pessimistic I suppose.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Yeah, he was saying on a Roadrunner documentary thingy that he takes out any aggression and temper on the drum kit, and he was always quiet.

Seems a good bloke though, at least he's not full of himself.
Quote by Stranglehold
Smith is the quietest guy ever, didnt say much after the gig, people just kind of shook his hand and walked away...He talks a lot of crap though, he seems to think Suffocation should be on Geffen records, and have a regular slot on Conan O'Brien or something. Oh well, better than being pessimistic I suppose.

But be honest here, who the fuck doesn't want to see Suffo on Conan and stuff?

I'd rather him have that attitude then trying to be gr1m and kvlt etc, but if I could Drum like that man - I would have a MASSIVE smile on my face all the time (like, scary Joker style smile).
Cool. That's kind of the image I got of them. I have to say, Mullen's modern vocals are pretty much unique. Far more throaty and raw than most.

Reminds me of early David Vincent, if anyone.
I haven't listened to Suffo in forever. Can someone remind me what the best material is?

I've been listening to Effigy of the Forgotten now and I forgot how horrible their production is. Are there re-releases/significantly better production on the later albums?
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Jun 4, 2008,
Quote by Contraband
I haven't listened to Suffo in forever. Can someone remind me what the material is?

I've been listening to Effigy of the Forgotten now and I forgot how horrible their production is. Are there re-releases/significantly better production on the later albums?

Lets hope to satan they don't. The murky and bass heavy production makes the album far more brutal and gives it character, new aged hot topic polished to **** productions rape the life out of allot of todays death metal bands. Now with that said i can say that their later material it at a healthy medium bewtween the two. Suffocation are one of the best and most influential death metal bands of all time. They really pushed the envelope way back in the early nineties.Old Suffo ftw!
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
Lets hope to satan they don't. The murky and bass heavy production makes the album far more brutal and gives it character, new aged hot topic polished to **** productions rape the life out of allot of todays death metal bands. Now with that said i can say that their later material it at a healthy medium bewtween the two. Suffocation are one of the best and most influential death metal bands of all time. They really pushed the envelope way back in the early nineties.Old Suffo ftw!

My post came out retarded. I meant to ask what are their best albums? I want to get into them again. Also, even though the production on Effigy gives the music character, I can't hear any of the ****ing riffs properly, and I hate that.
I've found Jesus
^Effigy of the Forgotten, Breeding the Spawn, and Pierced from Within are the best. And get new headphones or speakers.
Quote by Psychopathology
^Effigy of the Forgotten, Breeding the Spawn, and Pierced from Within are the best. And get new headphones or speakers.

Maybe it was the headphones, but most of Effigy sounded like ass in the guitar department.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Maybe it was the headphones, but most of Effigy sounded like ass in the guitar department.

I dunno i can hear the guitars fine, it sounds good and the tone has a real bight to it that really makes the riffs stand out to me. But hey to each their own.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

I adore the kind of slightly muddy, crunchy tone on the s/t, I must say. Makes it sound urgent as hell.
From a Bassist's POV (and someone who focus' on the Rhythm section a lot) I absolutely LOVE the production/mix/recording of the s/t - should be a Point of Reference for any other Death Metal band that isn't in the Decapitated realm of Tech Death.

That being said, some of the Guitar tracks in their other albums sound a tad "weak", but it's generally only on occasion and sometimes it's just the Lead line that gets buried.
Quote by webbtje
I adore the kind of slightly muddy, crunchy tone on the s/t, I must say. Makes it sound urgent as hell.

yeh, works really well
The best production is on Effigy, fo sho. That perfect mix of absolute crushing,sickening DM sound and yet each instrument can be heard easily enough.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Suffocation is amazing! I really like the breakdowns in Demise of the Clone and at the end of Surgery of Impalement, just as a few examples for their breakdowns. I sure hope in their new album BloodOath that will soon come out has lots of breakdowns because they make them sound so good!