Greenday4Life
887 IQ
What kind of tuner would I need? As far as ive seen on these forums...everyone tells how to do it by ear which is very difficult for us beginners. Is it even possible for a tuner to read a half step down on the strings?
GBMan
24 IQ
...it should say Eb on your tuner. That is half-step down. Do it to each string (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb). And please, for the love of God - get into some good music quick.
Schecter CSH-1
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter 30th Anniversary Traditional
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey XXX 40
Digitech Whammy
Visual Sound H2O
FullTone Clyde Deluxe Wah
R0CKER1220
UG Addict
523 IQ
just use a regular guitar tuner, it should say Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. And Green Day isnt that bad, it's just that their earlier things were better. And if this turns into a "Green Day Sucks" thread, then i apoligize in advance.
Greenday4Life
887 IQ
Quote by R0CKER1220
just use a regular guitar tuner, it should say Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. And Green Day isnt that bad, it's just that their earlier things were better. And if this turns into a "Green Day Sucks" thread, then i apoligize in advance.

LOL...Greenday sux thread suck

But seriously...do I need a different type of tuner (mine only has E-A-D-G-B).

Maybe I need a chromatic tuner or w/e they are called?
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,733 IQ
Chromatic tuners are easier to use in my opinion. I recommend the Korg CA-30, it's $20 US and works extremely well.

What tuner do you have right now?

And in the future ask tuning questions in the Tuning thread.

-SD
lil-matee
My post is there >>>
834 IQ
well im planing to get a guitar tuner but ive just started on playing a electric guitar and i listen to my pitch pipe and tune it by that... (there much cheaper then tuners!)
martin_costello
88 IQ
Quote by lil-matee
well im planing to get a guitar tuner but ive just started on playing a electric guitar and i listen to my pitch pipe and tune it by that... (there much cheaper then tuners!)

Cheaper for a reason - they are sh*t!
Martin

Gibson 2004 LP Standard Limited Edition 60s Neck in Manhattan Midnight,
Fender 2005 American Stratocaster in Chrome Red with Maple Neck,
Squier Affinity P-Bass Metallic Blue,
Marshall DSL-401,
Fender Rumble 15.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Fret everything at the 1st fret while tuning
R0CKER1220
UG Addict
523 IQ
Silent Deftone's right, doesnt look like there's a flat button on there. Either get a pitch pipe, if you have a good ear, fret everything at the 1st note, or get a tuner. I bought a Korg for $14 and you could put, i think, 5 flats. I'll try to look for a site that has it.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Quote by Greenday4Life
thanx...but whats the difference between the two?

the CA30 is a chromatic tuner, it can tune any note.

The GA30 is a guitar tuner, its expects the strings to be tuned in the EADGBE relations (it can do flat tunings and such but....you can't tune into open G or anything like that directly with it)
Greenday4Life
887 IQ
Quote by seljer
the CA30 is a chromatic tuner, it can tune any note.

The GA30 is a guitar tuner, its expects the strings to be tuned in the EADGBE relations (it can do flat tunings and such but....you can't tune into open G or anything like that directly with it)

cool thanx man
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,733 IQ
seljer nailed it. I greatly recommend the CA-30, it's a lot easier to use, and will instantly tell you what note you're playing and if it's out of tune.

-SD
Greenday4Life
887 IQ
Just ordered it....

One last question...are there any negative affects to tuning down a half step? I heard something about Drop D tuning or w/e could wear it out faster or something...?
Last edited by Greenday4Life at Dec 30, 2005,
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
3,634 IQ
Quote by Greenday4Life
Just ordered it....

One last question...are there any negative affects to tuning down a half step? I heard something about Drop D tuning or w/e could wear it out faster or something...?

Theres not really any really bad negitive effects of downtuning half a step.

Its tunings like Drop C / B / A that may need your guitar re-setting up
Been away, am back