Page 4 of 176
Recently bought Ashes Against the Grain. Wow, what an amazing album. So nicely done. Only (minor) problem I had was "The Grain," since it gets a bit annoying 4 to 5 minutes in when the song is pretty much a few buzzing noises. It's nothing too big, at least the "Our Fortress Is Burning..." set flows nicely from song to song.

In other words, I'll be on the lookout for the rest of their albums.
Our Fortress is Burning sure does take a long time to start. They're all pretty sweet though.

And man, this thread has so much fellation it's unreal. They deserve it, though.
Bugger, I've been meaning to get the album but they don't sell it here. Any chance of someone can pm their msn for this lovely album?
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Bugger, I've been meaning to get the album but they don't sell it here. Any chance of someone can pm their msn for this lovely album?

just order it from teh internets.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
So, I just thought I would bump this, because I've recently discovered how much of a breathtaking album The Mantle is and how much Pale Folklore owns. =D Agalloch are officially amazing in my books.

and so this post isn't totally pointless, is their Of Stone, Wind and Pillor EP any good?
Quote by Akitsa
Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor is by far their best.

I disagree. It's my 2nd least favourite album by them (still extremely good though), their least favourite being The Gray. I even like Tomorrow Will Never Come Better than it. Still great stuff though.

Who cares anyways, all of Agalloch's stuff owns.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

^ Agreed,all Agalloch owns, but I would have to say In the shadow of my pale companion, or she painted fire across the skyline are my favorite songs.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I downloaded some Agalloch, was pretty average. What are some good songs by them?
In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Odal
Falling Snow
Limbs
Our Fortress Is Burning I, II and III
Dead Winter Days

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
****ing amazing! that was their setlist?? Even all parts of "Our Fortress is burning" ??
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
Quote by InfiniteSadness
^add Of Stone, Wind and Pillor and you got the exact setlist from when I saw them last year!

Is it true that Haughm can't sing the clean vox for shit?
Quote by Cannibalkyle16
Anyone else think Agalloch is AMAZING!!!

I'm guessing you havn't read through the last 7 pages? Lol, just joking dude. Yeah, I'd say they are. All 3 albums are excellent, The Mantle is my favorite at the moment.

I Am The Wooden Doors \m/
the falling snow vid isn't much better, unfortunately...
mir ist kalt...
I wish I had a working turntable. I want to hear the bonus song that's only available on the vinyl edition of Ashes Against the Grain (not that I'd be able to find it, I think there's less than 1,000 copies of it).

Does anyone know where I can hear/dowload the song online?
Quote by Scourge441
I wish I had a working turntable. I want to hear the bonus song that's only available on the vinyl edition of Ashes Against the Grain (not that I'd be able to find it, I think there's less than 1,000 copies of it).

Does anyone know where I can hear/dowload the song online?

Yeah, what he said.

I'm sure someone out of that 1,000 got it onto their computer by one of those new confangled record to digital machines.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by ph3n0m
Get the songs Limbs and Not Unlike The Waves. But if you want an album, then all three of their full lengths are awesome

I've heard Not Unlike the Waves, it's a pretty good song. Haven't heard Limbs though.
Quote by RedDeath9
I just recently got into them. My favorite songs are probably Bloodbirds, I am the Wooden Doors, and The Lodge.

If you like The Lodge, you'll go nuts over "...and the Great Cold Death of the Earth". Check out "In the Shadow of our Pale Companion", too. Better yet, go buy "The Mantle".

edit: If you just have heard the video version, get a hold of the full version, the video cut is horrible.
mir ist kalt...
Quote by RedDeath9
I just recently got into them. My favorite songs are probably Bloodbirds, I am the Wooden Doors, and The Lodge.

Find Falling Snow, Hallways of Enchanted Ebony, and Fire Above, Ice Below.

Quote by The Oceanborn
edit: If you just have heard the video version, get a hold of the full version, the video cut is horrible.

Amen. Shortening songs for videos FTL.
Quote by RedDeath9
I've heard Not Unlike the Waves, it's a pretty good song. Haven't heard Limbs though.

Here's Limbs. Listen to it before Myspace deletes the profile, lol. And I agree with Scourge441. Falling Snow has one of the most beautiful intros and Hallways of Enchanted Ebony is one of Agalloch's best songs.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Yeah, what he said.

I'm sure someone out of that 1,000 got it onto their computer by one of those new confangled record to digital machines.

Someone sent me that yesterday, it's called "Scars of the shattered sky (our fortress has burned to the ground)". It's a long ambient track with a nice climax that kinda reminded me of the way some Godspeed you black emperor songs are worked out. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

About the guy's poor singing... well, even on the albums, it sounds to me like he's quite an amateur. It just doesn't sound like he's using a proper singing technique, but that might be an illusion, everyone's voice sounds different after all. Oh well - can't just blame it on technique, anyone who performs live knows about the troubles of, exactly, not being able to hear yourself.
Last edited by Vomit Rapist at Jun 18, 2007,
Did anyone notice the 'falling bird' on the cover of Ashes Against the Grain?
I always thought it was a flame or something... I was looking at the back of the booklet the other night and it said 'falling bird illustration by *some guy*' and I was like 'wtf? where?'
I then took another look at the front cover and I saw it.
one of the best american acts in a long time....

i mean...damn...all we have now is ghey metalcore

atheist split, but they are back together
slayer went way down hill
death is well....dead
Quote by RedDeath9

I am the wooden doors always makes me laugh, simply for the name.

Easy amusement FTL.

But yea, the Mantle, what an album.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by progbass
one of the best american acts in a long time....

i mean...damn...all we have now is ghey metalcore

atheist split, but they are back together
slayer went way down hill
death is well....dead

We have Nevermore and Dream Theater. I think we'll be ok. But I agree, Agalloch is definitely one of the best American acts.

It's a shame that they're so hard to find. I've yet to see a copy of The Mantle in stores. I've only seen Pale Folklore and Ashes Against The Grain.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Anyone else notice how some of their songs create an image of a cabin in your head? I mean, obviously, there's The Lodge, but when I'm listening to "A Desolation Song", there's a guy sitting in front of a fire in a cabin, holding this cup .

There seems to always be a mountain, or ocean in their songs... There's This White Mountain On Which You Will Die, but "Our Fortress is Burning... II - Bloodbirds" creates an image with a mountain in it.

The Lodge actually reminds me of the ocean...