Page 5 of 176
Quote by progbass
i mean...damn...all we have now is ghey metalcore

There are many good Metal bands out there in the US, it's just not all showing on TV ads and Headbanger's Ball like Metalcore is.
Quote by RedDeath9
Anyone else notice how some of their songs create an image of a cabin in your head? I mean, obviously, there's The Lodge, but when I'm listening to "A Desolation Song", there's a guy sitting in front of a fire in a cabin, holding this cup .

"A Desolation song" Always gave the impression to me of a traveller on a road (Romanish times) at midnight.

There seems to always be a mountain, or ocean in their songs... There's This White Mountain On Which You Will Die, but "Our Fortress is Burning... II - Bloodbirds" creates an image with a mountain in it.

Shh, you leave Agalloch and their mountain fetish alone.

The Lodge actually reminds me of the ocean...

*Listens to song* Nope, still reminds me of a snow covered Forest, with the moon high in the sky.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I always have a problem relating most metal to snow covered forests, although I guess the majority of band try to create that scenery.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
Just think "Call of the wintermoon".

You know it makes sense.
On '...Pale Companion', the part where the clean and blackened vocals come in (Where is the landscape/where is god), I think very much of a person staring down at a majestic valley from a snow-capped mountaintop on a clear day. Oh, how wonderous imagination is.
Have been into Pale Folklore for a while now and just got The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain by mail a few days ago. Great band.
Last edited by Makkis at Jul 4, 2007,
whenever i listen to a desolation song it reminds me of a forest like in lord of the rings movies haha. but it yeah it seems that all their songs tie into an image of nature, which i think is pretty cool, like i was in colorado the past week up in the mountains and i was listening to them and it seemed just fit perfectly
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Quote by Blak R Immortal
whenever i listen to a desolation song it reminds me of a forest like in lord of the rings movies haha. but it yeah it seems that all their songs tie into an image of nature, which i think is pretty cool, like i was in colorado the past week up in the mountains and i was listening to them and it seemed just fit perfectly

YA, very nice song for woodland type enviroment methinks.

Out of intrest, what do the voices on "The hawthorne passage" say?
So how do you pronounce this name?

A(as in kate) geh loch?

A(as in Apple) ?

Aye ga lock?

Aye ga loch?
Quote by jesusgonewrong
YA, very nice song for woodland type enviroment methinks.

Out of intrest, what do the voices on "The hawthorne passage" say?

In swedish at about 7:50 they say "-Who are you? -I am death".

In the end they sing and talk in spanish, Babelfish tells me they say:

(woman)
I die, and noone will remember me.
I die, and noone will remember me, me.

(man)
Yes Liz, I will remember you, I will go to the cemetery with a flower and a dog, and on your funeral sing - in a low voice - that pretty is a burial.

EDIT: The swedish part is from this movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal
Last edited by krimm at Jul 5, 2007,
Quote by the spiker
So how do you pronounce this name?

A(as in kate) geh loch?

A(as in Apple) ?

Aye ga lock?

Aye ga loch?

Ah ga lock
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Thank you Vanquish.

Cool band. I stumbled upon them when doing random searches in the iTunes store so I went and bought the Ashes Against the Grain CD from Best Buy. It's pretty good. It's a nice break from all the stuff I listen to.
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Just think "Call of the wintermoon".

You know it makes sense.

That song reminds me of lush, green forests and Benny Hill.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by mr kipling

I never thought of it like that before, but now that you mention it....

How are these guys live?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Agalloch? Apparently Jon's voice goes all over the fucking place live (just youtube it), and honestly, Agalloch is probably music I'd want to listen to somewhere solitary, not pressed up against a bunch of sweaty poeple. Then again, crowdsurfing to Agalloch has the potential to be quite epic.
Quote by Mr. President
Agalloch is probably music I'd want to listen to somewhere solitary,

Yah man, Although if they toured here I would go see and support them.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

haven't heard it, but it's believable considering Pale Folklore wasn't that great [despite the fact I'm getting a bit more into it of late]

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
but it's believable considering Pale Folklore wasn't that great

What didn't you like about Pale Folklore?
a couple of things. Bad production, a couple of really cheesy bits (like the spoken part in the "She Painted Fire Across The Skyline, and the keyboard bells somewhere towards the end of the album), a few moments where there things are way too obviously out of tune, and just overall the music is rather dull. Mid-paced and uneventful.

I think they largely fixed that on subsequent releases. The production/tone is better, more dynamics in general, the song structure is far better thought out, and while the tempo is similar, there's something about the newer material (the Mantle onwards) that sounds better, and the atmosphere just works.

Pale Folklore has its good points by all means (Dead Winter Days for example), but it had quite a generic and boring sound to put it simply.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM

A GR1M Benny hill, I presume?

Tbh, I think Agalloch tred the fine line between epicness and boring quite well.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion

Gracias. Looks like I'm getting The Mantle next haha.

edit: Is that how the song sounds on the album? I found some of it on youtube and the part I heard had the melody played on acoustic guitars.
Last edited by frozen-dirt at Jul 6, 2007,
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
Pale Folklore has its good points by all means (Dead Winter Days for example), but it had quite a generic and boring sound to put it simply.

Personally, I loved Pale Folklore. She Painted Fire Across The Skyline is one of my favorite songs. The whole album sounds great to me and not generic or boring in the slightest way.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
a couple of things. Bad production, a couple of really cheesy bits (like the spoken part in the "She Painted Fire Across The Skyline, and the keyboard bells somewhere towards the end of the album), a few moments where there things are way too obviously out of tune, and just overall the music is rather dull. Mid-paced and uneventful.

I think they largely fixed that on subsequent releases. The production/tone is better, more dynamics in general, the song structure is far better thought out, and while the tempo is similar, there's something about the newer material (the Mantle onwards) that sounds better, and the atmosphere just works.

Well, fair enough. I personally love Pale Folklore. Mostly because of the 'feel' it has with its atmosphere and production, even if it's not the best of the best. I, however, agree with them getting better overtime. Pale Folklore is my least favorite, compared to Ashes and The Mantle, but I wouldn't rate any lower or any higher.
Yeah I just recently checked this band out for the first time, and I'm liking it. Pale Folklore has some awkward moments, but Ashes Against the Grain is awesome and The Mantle is solid too. Good stuff overall.
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
We have Nevermore and Dream Theater. I think we'll be ok. But I agree, Agalloch is definitely one of the best American acts.

It's a shame that they're so hard to find. I've yet to see a copy of The Mantle in stores. I've only seen Pale Folklore and Ashes Against The Grain.

true, and Cynic recently got back together...

but what i meant is compare American bands as a whole to like...Sweden or England. to me, foriegn countries release just all around better music.

that comment about the TV adds is somewhat relevant, although i despise headbangers ball, fuse, mtv, myspace and all such incarnates of those listed, i still have to look at the bigger picture. Just because bands aren't advertised doesnt mean they arent out there. you got me for ignorance on that one. i apologize for that remark.

i guess things are getting somewhat better, i mean, Opeth is gaining a lot of fame in the states recently, so that means of course people will try to copy that, and personally, i wouldnt mind that many bands trying to add ambient jazz/ blues segues into more metal passages.

back on topic: Shadow of our pale comparison FTW!!!
Don Anderson is an awesome guitarist.

I nearly fell out of my chair after hearing that sweep he does in Shadow of our Pale Companion.
Quote by gimme_fuel_89
Don Anderson is an awesome guitarist.

I nearly fell out of my chair after hearing that sweep he does in Shadow of our Pale Companion.

not to mention the beautiful flowing lead that follows

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
^
The whole of Ashes Against the Grain is excellent. But yeah "Limbs" is probably one of my personal favourites as well.
Last edited by Makkis at Jul 21, 2007,
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
not to mention the beautiful flowing lead that follows

Absolutely - but I was more pointing out the unexpectedness of hearing a hard out shred lick in Agalloch

The funny thing is that it works amazingly well.