Page 1 of 2
seanbaby
Typical UG guitar fanatic
178 IQ
first post...ever!

Whats the difference between the sound of an sg and a les paul? For example a standard sg with 490's and 498's vs. a les paul with the same pickups. Wouldnt they sound the same?
Mui
Official Knight of Nit
166 IQ
Les Pauls just sound warmer. I don't know how, but they do. But with the right adjustments on your amp, you can make an SG sound like Les Paul.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

thekevinfoltmer
UG Senior Member
379 IQ
i like the feel of les pauls better and the sound as well but sg's sound are quite nice as well.
qwtper?

Quote by capt_dammit
"i knew i shouldn't of drank the kool-aid..."

Gibson Les Paul 1958 Standard Custom Shop
Vox ac30
Waterboy799
UG's Greek
1,310 IQ
les pauls own sg's in everyway, warmer tone, better sustain, nice body shape, nicer design
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Slash_HuDsOn
UG Fanatic
418 IQ
Quote by Waterboy799
les pauls own sg's in everyway, warmer tone, better sustain, nice body shape, nicer design

the only advantage sg's have over lp's is the double cutaway, some people have a hard time with the single, but dont make a diff 4 me
hendrix1194
UG Freak
197 IQ
Its the wood, SG's are made from JUST mahogany, Pauls are from Mahogany and maple. So a thicker sound would be produced IMO.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Because we all know grandmas have ballsacks

Co-founder of the 'undecided on a name but are aussie regardless' club. PM me, joel_grieve or bradbradbrad to join.
seanbaby
178 IQ
hmm... is the les paul worth the extra 1000 or so?
hotroderguy
79 IQ
Stratocaster.

ok sorry i shouldn't have said that here. but yea i'm an SG fan, but you have to get a good SG not a lower model.
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
GnGonzalesjoe
664 IQ
isn't the les paul heavier than the sg.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
ClassicAxe
510 IQ
Quote by Waterboy799

Lol, thats your opinion.

Les pauls suck. My opinion, right?

horrible upper fret access,heavy, fat/slow neck, uncomfortable to play, muddy.... Umm....

Id take an sg over a paul, but at that, gibson quality is not for me.

I play ibanez
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
colen
ug's #1 CANADIAN
421 IQ
i find sg's have more of a treble leadish sound while les pauls have a more rhythem type side.

but you could play both rhythem and lead on both.... i like my les paul
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
MavataR
The devils heart
88 IQ
I dont know anything about the sound of the two, But i have to say that an LP pwns a SG in the way of looks, sg's just dont sit right with me
Mui
Official Knight of Nit
166 IQ
Quote by Waterboy799

You obviously haven't played an SG. Les Pauls are too heavy, unbalanced, not as warm as you think they would be, and huge ass necks.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Mui
Official Knight of Nit
166 IQ
Quote by MavataR
I dont know anything about the sound of the two, But i have to say that an LP pwns a SG in the way of looks, sg's just dont sit right with me

Well that's a strange comparison, not a bad one, but strange. You really need to play one to make a proper judgement.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

MavataR
The devils heart
88 IQ
yeah i know, the guitar store i goes to doesnt have any SG's, they had a proper LP standard tehre but it was in a cabinet so i didnt play it.
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
If u can learn how to shred on a les paul it pays off. I do shred on mine and i have no problem on the higher frets. It takes getting used to.
Waterboy799
UG's Greek
1,310 IQ
Quote by Mui
You obviously haven't played an SG. Les Pauls are too heavy, unbalanced, not as warm as you think they would be, and huge ass necks.

hey asshat i own an SG, and ive played les paul countless times, i would choose a les paul over my sg anyday so now go sit in the corner and cry

classicaxe must always say bad things about les pauls when im around.

and Slash Hudson your correct, the upper fret access on the SG is amazing, its the only thing the sg's have over the les pauls
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Jarrott
KISS ME I'M A SHREDDER
939 IQ
I'd take an SG to a Les Paul anyday. I find LP's to be really clunky and comfort is a big asset to me. The SG feels great in my hands, better then any guitar has ever felt. The body contours to yours and just fits so nicely, I just love it. Plus the sound of an SG... oh my.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
tubadude
I do something. . .
1,797 IQ
the one thing i dont like about SG's is that they pivot when you are standing up (those with SG's knwo what im talking about) other than that, i love them. i would get one over a LP anyday (unless i get this 1964 LP for 500 dollars)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Mui
Official Knight of Nit
166 IQ
Quote by Jarrott
I'd take an SG to a Les Paul anyday. I find LP's to be really clunky and comfort is a big asset to me. The SG feels great in my hands, better then any guitar has ever felt. The body contours to yours and just fits so nicely, I just love it. Plus the sound of an SG... oh my.

Same here. I find Les Pauls overrated.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

piecies_81
Registered Loser
561 IQ
The weight of the SG's isnt balanced very well, If you let go of the neck, it drops to the ground. and the strap button is on the back of the body and tends to slip off quite a bit, Unless you use strap locks. You also have to reach out farther to get to the low frets as compared to the LP, but then again the high frets are wide open on the SG and easy to access. Its all about prefrence i guess. I would choose LP's over SG's anyday. To me the SG is better at AC/DC style rather then the LP. Also, the SG gives me sore nipples when I sit and pay it cuz the horn rubs right across my upper chest. And yes, I own and play both of them, so I have a clue.
tim_mop
1,688 IQ
i tried les paul and SG but i had to go for the les paul, the tone seemed so much better if you want a balance of rythem and lead
Revhain
ixnay on the ing-vay
140 IQ
In all honesty, I've found the Les Paul to be too heavy, and too fat a neck. The SG was far too light, comfortable neck but it felt like I was playing a wafer.

They both had an incredible sound though.
narmi
Into Cold Darkness
208 IQ
LP>SG imo

I really don't like the look of SGs, they sound great but I'd pick an LP over an SG any day.
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
seanbaby
178 IQ
Quote by Waterboy799
hey asshat i own an SG, and ive played les paul countless times, i would choose a les paul over my sg anyday so now go sit in the corner and cry

classicaxe must always say bad things about les pauls when im around.

and Slash Hudson your correct, the upper fret access on the SG is amazing, its the only thing the sg's have over the les pauls

hmm should have expected the usual opinionated arguing with sg's and paul's....
Waterboy799
UG's Greek
1,310 IQ
Quote by seanbaby
hmm should have expected the usual opinionated arguing with sg's and paul's....

dam right
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

tony_dyp26
Banned
250 IQ
Les Pauls are heavier than SG's, SG have easier access to higher frets so you could solo easily, while Les Pauls don't
Waterboy799
UG's Greek
1,310 IQ
but les pauls have better tone, better sustain, it looks better, and there much more comfortable imo
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

BottleOfSmoke
Ritual Killer
337 IQ
i prefer the SG Shape to the LP
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
love_O_rock
388 IQ
Figures that NOW its not "get what feels right", but every other thats usually the case. Damn Gibson!!! Deciding between a Les Pual and an SG is like deciding between Pam Anderson And Carmen Electra.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
Well i love em both. And techicly both of them are Les Paul's (did a work abotu the Gibson les Paul), the Sg was the 1961 Les Paul model, but Les Paul didnt like it. So they took back the old LP design and renamed the "new" Les Paul's to (listen to the fantasy): Solidbody Guitar (Sg for short). But anyway i love them both. I love the big chunky sound of the Les Paul and the fat 59' neck. But i love the lighwieght Sg, and anytime i hear AC/DC i almost get an an hearing orgasm when i hear Angus' s SG. And even if i love the sound of the Les Paul ive always wanted an SG. But i read that the SG Standard has a rounded neck profile, is it close to the 59' neck profile? Where gonna move and that will make us rich. So im probably gonna try to convince my parents to buy me an SG. Either the Standard or the 61 Reissue. Wich would you recommend?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
seanbaby
178 IQ
try them out in a guitar store i guess. they have different pickups so pick the one that you like best?
gibsonsg2006
478 IQ
lol ive heard this question before and i think tht an SG has a lighter sound than a LP. Les Pauls have a big, meaty sound, and SGs do not.
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
Quote by seanbaby
try them out in a guitar store i guess. they have different pickups so pick the one that you like best?

Hmm, true. But there is a problem. I live in Sweden, so i'll be lucky if they even have a Standard that you can try (and that i can reach and so on). But im leanng alot towards the stabdard, wich is said to be good. I have also tried a Standard, but it was thru a Vox AD30VT with low volume. But then again i have treid a Gibson LP studio thru my amp (same pups) and that sound is great. Plus that i love Angus sound on the AC/DC live album (were he plays a Standard SG, with stock pups). I love the feel of it so i thibk ill buy it soon (probably around April).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009