Page 1 of 3
luv_led_zep
157 IQ
Well drugs inspired some fantastic rock songs but they also harmed and in some cases killed rockstars.....So did drugs make or break rock n roll?
!!!FREAK OF THE WEEK!!!
MuRph83
Man of the Hour
205 IQ
I would say it both broke and made it, but moreso made it. I think it is safe to say that without them, a lot of great classic rock that we know today would not have been created, but as well, many of those great artists would probalby still be alive.
so yea, there are two sides to it, hard to answer really
...but I would not want you any other way...
Infinite-Reason
Sold the World
566 IQ
Well drugs didnt kill rock and roll. They didnt force the artists to use them.
Pie?! Drunk?!...The?!
skydogzoso1986
430 IQ
drugs were part of classic rock so it definitely didn't...
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
luv_led_zep
157 IQ
Im really talking about the music, not the whole of rock n roll in its self...majority of classic rock songs were written while the artists were not on drugs, im not saying it didnt inspire lots like Jimi Hendrix's "purple haze" for example. Rock definately could have survived without drugs....well had a good chance
!!!FREAK OF THE WEEK!!!
Last edited by luv_led_zep at Jan 26, 2006,
Liam Alan
Come on feet
355 IQ
Quote by Infinite-Reason
Well drugs didnt kill rock and roll. They didnt force the artists to use them.

Exactly, Being an idiot killed people not drugs. If that is the case we need to ban flying. Because helicopters and planes killed musicians too.

Look at Keith Richards. He isn't dead.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
SoulStripper7
UG's AC/DC Expert #1
40 IQ
^^Well, he looks dead anyway. He's like a re-animated corpse, IMO.

But I think that drugs, however much I dislike the use of them, influenced rock n roll positively. Sometimes. Great songs have come out of drug use. But great songs have also come out of NOT using them. So its hard to say.
I'm a girl, dammit! Member #1 of the Angus Young Fan Club. PM Evil Kid 93 to join.
Quote by knerken
You're my hero, Soulstripper!
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by Liam Alan

you sure about that?

But I think that drugs, however much I dislike the use of them, influenced rock n roll positively. Sometimes. Great songs have come out of drug use. But great songs have also come out of NOT using them. So its hard to say.
I agree.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Evil Kid 93
UG's SG Rocker
17 IQ
Quote by SoulStripper7

That's exactly what I think, too. I mean, just look at Jimi Hendrix; half the stuff he wrote probably wouldn't have been so insane without drugs, and yet drugs also killed him...kinda a double-edged sword right there.
Founder of the Official Angus Young Fanclub! PM me to join in the worship of that crazy duckwalking midget with the SG!

"Let there be light......sound......drums......guitar......LET THERE BE ROCK!!!" - Let There Be Rock, AC/DC
November_Rain88
Axl's #1 Fan
160 IQ
I saw the Stones live a few months ago, and I swear they propped Keith Richards' corpse up, and had a puppeteer control his undead ass.
Maet
906 IQ
Drugs made it. Abusing drugs broke it. Simplist way to put things.
Punk Rocker
I love amp
2,674 IQ
Drugs sort of made the music and killed the musicians and then you have ppl like Ozzy Osbourne who are like undead freaks.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Drugs didn't do shit for music.

Music didn't do shit for drugs.

However, musician's did a shitload of drugs
thembones16
V is for Vagina
1,422 IQ
drugs are a beautiful disaster,they gave us songs by layne staley like down in a hole and then ended his life
Founder of The Reverend Maynard Club-save the carrots!
PM me or diminishedfaith to join.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
Maet
906 IQ
Quote by Ledhead V-2
Must I? Lol!

It amazes me how he's managed to survive his indulgence in drink and drugs and still be able to perform. Same thing with Ozzy. Of course, others (Bolin, Hendrix, Morrison, et al) weren't quite so fortunate.

btw -- I read an interview with Richards in the Nov. '05 issue of Guitar World where he said that Woodie might not be able to make their last tour due to his "severe crack addiction." Was he able to?

FYI, The worlds top doctors placed Keef's ETD (estimated time of death if you don't watch 'Dead Like Me') sometme in 1996. He's literally cheating death every single day of his life.
Maet
906 IQ
It was a factoid on a Much More Music show called 'Uncovered' where they discussed the effects of drugs on music, musicians and their lifestyles. I really don't know much more than that.
Liam Alan
Come on feet
355 IQ
Quote by SoulStripper7
^^Well, he looks dead anyway. He's like a re-animated corpse, IMO.

Quote by BrainDamage
you sure about that?

Quote by Ledhead V-2
Must I? Lol!

I was actually waiting for all of those.

Surprised I only got 3. Hhehe

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Still Life
Dr. Efficient
55 IQ
I don't think it made or killed the music that was rock and roll. Musicians may have all (or a good 90% of them) done drugs, but they were also famous people, so you knew about it. Ordinary people did/do them too you know. They are just a part of life for some people, and aren't for others.

I do not think they affected classic rock positively or negatively, they just affected it. If those people didn't do drugs, the music would have been different, but probably still just as good.
billzeebub
17 IQ
I think rock would be a lot different if drugs weren't about. The Beatles for example, completely middle of the road before they were introduced into drugs and then wen't on to make groundbreaking experimental music.

Drugs take ye on an adventure within yourself and if an artist thinks that they can translate that adventure through music well i'm all for it.

Drugs didn't do shit for music.

Music didn't do shit for drugs.

However, musician's did a shitload of drugs

I'd disagree with the first 2 lines but no-one could argue about the third. I think music does quite a lot for drugs, just look at the amount of clubs with hard dance music with the majority of people chomping at the bit on e's. Also, Spiritualized made an album called "Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to".
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by Maet
FYI, The worlds top doctors placed Keef's ETD (estimated time of death if you don't watch 'Dead Like Me') sometme in 1996. He's literally cheating death every single day of his life.
that's great.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
tHewHiteHendrix
strat abuser.
445 IQ
sex, DRUGS, and rock n roll. they were all hand in hand, and took some good lives but ultimately MADE rock n roll.
gibsonsg2006
478 IQ
i think tht the use of drugs could have inspired some great songs in the classic rock era. most musicians will tell you that when they have that buzz they write some of their most loved songs. of course, drugs didnt exactly help Axl Rose's career.
Leader of the We Hate Squiers Club

PM gibsonsg2006 to join

Jimmy Page
coolfrood2005
Blues dude
11 IQ
No. Without dugs, much of which we consider as "classic rock" would't exist. Anyway, look at Aerosmith- during drugs, great. When they went clean they SUCKED. I rest my case.
Origionally posted by Sargasm
Does listening to Led Zeppelin make you want to go on a quest to throw the ring of power into Mount Doom in order to destroy Sauron?
Mispeled
56 IQ
Hendrix didn't die because of drug overdose, it's all just a cover-up.
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
Look at it this way...when a rockstar that dies in their prime of drugs, we don't have to watch them go through a decline or whither into obscurity. For example, it would've been great for Michael Jordan's legend if he had just dropped dead right after hitting the game winner over Utah in the NBA Finals. We wouldn't have had to watch him in his mediocrity with the Wizards. Think about Eric Clapton. Has he really made any important music since the 80s? Or B.B. King. Yeah, it's cool that an 80 year old still tours, but his voice is weak and his guitar playing hasn't evolved at all in the last...40 years? What's tragic, though, is when musicians die before their prime, like Jeff Buckley, who only released one album before he drowned (not caused by drugs or alcohol, though).
Hi, I'm Peter
Buzz Saw
48 IQ
These men were great before they used drugs, drugs just propelled them into a certain direction of music. Drugs did not enhance their brain or their song writing technique, just gave them something to wirte about. So know Drugs Did Not make or brake Rock music.
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
Quote by Mispeled
Hendrix didn't die because of drug overdose, it's all just a cover-up.

didn't he suffocate on his own vomit?
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,292 IQ
Quote by Liam Alan

Every one of the rolling stones is dead. They just attach strings to them for all thier live concerts and get a few puppeteers.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
blues_rocker
Behold my MSPaint skills!
93 IQ
Quote by seljer

Yup but I think he vomited because of the drugs.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Liam Alan
Come on feet
355 IQ
Quote by seljer

Yep, Hendrix didn't overdose. He had an allegic reaction to pharmacutical sleeping pills, vomitted and drowned. It is in the autopsy report in London.

JackWhite1988
UG Addict
309 IQ
I don't think drugs ruined music as much as it ruined the MUSICIANS that took them.

Ozzy, Keith Richards, Keith Moon, Morrison, Hendrix...there are some other nuts that are still around but are so roasted that they might as well be dead.

The 80's metal scene is an example of the excess that comes with being a rock star...and ultimately they all fizzled out because the party no longer was fun and people started dying one by one.

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley...the list goes on. So no, drugs didn't ruin the music...it ruined the musicians.
Bow down to the king....the King of Kings
Mispeled
56 IQ
Quote by Liam Alan
Yep, Hendrix didn't overdose. He had an allegic reaction to pharmacutical sleeping pills, vomitted and drowned. It is in the autopsy report in London.

Huh, never knew that, I'd assumed he'd vomited because of something related to drug use as well.

Sounds even more like a coverup.
jase_connor
UG Member
218 IQ
i read a great interview with eric clapton a while back and he put it really well IMO. he said that the decadent lifestyle of musicians in the late 60's/early 70's (ie: heavy drug use of guys like hendrix, cream, zeppelin, the beatles, the stones, the doors etc.) led to them not taking any responsibility over what they were doing.

at first it opened all these doors for experimentation and innovation but after a while the musicians got lost in a world of drugs and stopped making great music any more. brian jones is a perfect example of that: great on the stones early stuff, but lost his way when the drugs took over. clapton went on to say that it was because of this that punk emerged as a sort of rebellion against that whole lifestyle and that it was such a stripped down, raw form of music as a protest against all the over the top, drug fueled music of the 60's. so yeah i think that classic rock from the 60's/70's was born from drugs but also ruined by drugs.

hope that made sense...
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
FireMoon
32 IQ
Hendrix died of choking on his own vomit ,primarliy ,cos the medic placed him on his back in the ambulance he was in a comatose state at the time, but still alive, after suffering an adverse reaction to sleeping pills.
hendrixrocks4
Banned
768 IQ
[FONT=Courier New]i think in many ways drugs ruined rock...i am a huge hendrix fan and all people see in hendrix is that he did drugs. He wasnt just a drug man not until he got his record deals did he even start using them. also many drugs were forced opun him. so in that way it did but i didnt entirly ruin rock it was the way they were used by the rock star
jeff666
12 IQ
drugs made rock and roll.
one example of that is aerosmith. when they were doing drugs they were a good band but now they dont do drugs and the suck.