Page 1 of 2
Layne_cantrell
113 IQ
Im new to the shredder board because I'm not really a shredder so don't flame for a lame question However, I am curious as to whether Al Di meola is considered a shredder. Listen to Mediterranean Sundance on Friday night at san francisco and you will hear some incredibly fast playing. I'm just wondering if it counts as shred if it's acoustic and not really rock? I tried to learn it and even the intro which is a rhythm part is goddamn hard to play. Quick as hell.
Layne_cantrell
113 IQ
thanks for clearing that up and yeah he is better than just a shredder.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
He transcends all these "shredder" definitions. He can rip it up whenever he wants to.
And his 13 year old daughter is a major Eminem fan
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
~1954~
UG's guitar ninja
47 IQ
In terms of speed, i think he can be considered a shredder, hes up there with some of the fastest players of all time. but musically i think hes much more than just a shredder because of his knowledge of musical theory. his written some pretty good chordal paterns in the Classical style.
And i can play some of mediteranean sundance, although im not sure i can be bothered to learn all of Als lead parts, i prefer to improvise.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
he's the one responsible for the shred movement not yngwie malmsteen.

so yeah he is a goddamn shredder and a genius.

Race With Devil On Spanish Highway \ 4 Ever
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
^No one is responsible for the shred movement.

And yes, I'd say he is.

I also wasn't aware shredders had a set skill level so it can be transcended, but that's just me I guess.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
if it wasn't for holdsworth and dimeola there would be no term for (shredding)
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Genius.

(Al di Meola)
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3644445489661495368&q=romeo+guitar

OmG LiEk in TihS vid30 Mikal Angolo Bitio Tlks @bot Pag@neenih! He pl4y5 some and he is lIek TeH ROXoRZZ! Hoever Tis Paganinieehg Guy I5 h3s like A 600D GuitarI5T!!!!!
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

mr_clapton
Its JIMI!
517 IQ
um apoc....that was michael romeo maybe you should cut back on the noob talk a bit
Originally posted by dave_c2k2
Just shout really loud...

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
I know its Micheal Romeo!!!

DUH!!!!!!

It says "Micheal Romeo, The Guitar Chapter."

I watched it the other day and it's amazing.

Simply a response to the noob language PooKoo used. A good one I see. Must be good to fool even the regulars!
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
Can someone post some Di Meola stuff?
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
^Yeah, thanks a ton.
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
vid30 Mikal Angolo Bitio Tlks @bot Pag@neenih!

But you said michael angelo batio...or something close to it. =(...damn I suppose you are good at that noob speak.
rock_guitargod
Bagerk!
253 IQ
If you like Al De Meola, check at some stuff he did with Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin, its awesome stuff, in a sense its shred on an acoustic but its actually known as Flamenco Jazz
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
^Yeah I have an album of Paco De Lucia (Sirico), but haven't heard any Mclaughlin besides a video of the 3 somewhere.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by Erc
But you said michael angelo batio...or something close to it. =(...damn I suppose you are good at that noob speak.

That's the point. Can't you just see a noob saying that it's Micheal Angelo Batio? It's the noobs that make you think that are truly morons. Which I have succeeded in doing.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

rock_guitargod
Bagerk!
253 IQ
Quote by «ÃFireÏnside»
^Yeah I have an album of Paco De Lucia (Sirico), but haven't heard any Mclaughlin besides a video of the 3 somewhere.

there's a video of them on Google Video.....its realy good stuff glad someone else likes it
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
^No one is responsible for the shred movement.

And yes, I'd say he is.

I also wasn't aware shredders had a set skill level so it can be transcended, but that's just me I guess.

I said nothing about the skill levels, I meant he was much more than just a regular shredder.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
^^ im inclined to agree with you---ive seen footage of him where he does hardly any fast picking at all, just playing these gorgeous jazz chord in free form and it was captivating. Al elevated the technique of palm muting to an art form, his picking is flawless and his feel for melody is awesome.

I bought an album called Passion, Grace and Fire featuring Di Meola, John Mclaughlin and De lucia and its incredible.

The worst thing is, about a year before i came to this uni, Di Meola played here with Yngwie and Uli Jon Roth---i found an advert for it in an old magazine and i was completely gutted...tHat would have been the best show ever.
Thank God im an atheist
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
also don't forget he raised the sales of metronomes
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
^ which uni?
JackWhite1988
UG Addict
309 IQ
I met Al Di Meola about 2 years ago at a guitar store. He was doing an Ovation guitar clinic in a conference area. He played some tunes, told us about his career and afterwards people could meet him, get pictures taken with him, autographs etc. He was a cool dude, I got a picture with him.
Bow down to the king....the King of Kings
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
^That sounds sweet.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Quote by pavan
^ which uni?

Its called Aberystwyth which on the coast of Wales---the thing that ****s me off is that the concert was at this Arts Centre thing which isnt big at all, and i cant imagine thered be TOO many fans here so i bet id have got front row or something.
I bought Rising Force from this Arts centre--it was ridiculously cheap-and this little old Japanese lady behind the counter says--
' you like Yngwie? Over here he is not as famous in Japan-in Japan, my son, all day, plays Ynwgie.'
Thank God im an atheist
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
^ I've been to Swansea and Neath.
I love Wales
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
The welsh are, lets say, a unique breed.
Thank God im an atheist
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
catherine zeta-jones!
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Tom Jones.
Thank God im an atheist
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
cant forget mr.wil can we?
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
????^^^
Thank God im an atheist
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
i thought you were welsh.

hey look, we've hijacked this thread
Iboseth
396 IQ
He plays jazz... I thught shredders were only metal and rock players?
if thats not truth then paco de lucia is a shredder¿
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
As far as I'm concerned, the first hard-runner was a shredder.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Quote by pavan
i thought you were welsh.

hey look, we've hijacked this thread

I suppose im a half breed.
Thank God im an atheist