Page 1 of 35
lo fi nights
last night in town
379 IQ
IMO the best release of 2005 was Animal Collective's "Feels". Experimental/indie/folk. Often catchy. The best song I thought was "Turn into something" which has inventive as all hell lyrics and a swooning chorus.
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Love Animal Collective. Hopefully seeing them Feb. 24th....
noops
Banned
10 IQ
i've only got sung tongs, but i absolutely love it.
MyMetalHeart<3
No more panty lines
10 IQ
feels is so ****ing cool.
the alb art is really interesting too.
Meow.
Rhinosaur Bones
89 IQ
Okay, here's a story. One night, I'm lying in bed watching Rage, and thinking "Damnit, music sucks nowadays." It was just song after song of lame modern punk and hardcore. I was just about to turn off the tv, when suddenly this song comes on. There are these weird vocal harmonies, and strange dissonant guitars and things. The whole video is in vibrant negative colours. "Whoa! What the hell is this?" It was Grass by Animal Collective. They saved my faith in modern music. I still haven't bought an album, but I'm going to soon.
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
Rather than starting a new thread, I decided to revive this year old one. Yes yes...double post. But I think since a year and two days has passed since the last post, it is excusable.

Now a lot has changed with me in that year. Animal Collective is just about my favorite band these days. I have almost every album of theirs (not including EPs, because those are so hard to find). But this is what I have now:

Feels
Sung Tongs
Here Comes the Indian
Hollinndagin
Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished
Danse Manatee
People EP
Prospect Hummer EP

You guys don't understand how amazing they are. I don't understand how amazing they are. But they are, indeed, amazing. I can't even write more, because I'm too busy dancing to Alvin Row.
RyanEck
Music Snob
65 IQ
Sung Tongs is really neat. I think that's the album most of what I have heard of Animal Collective has been from. I've been trying to hear a lot more of them and (of which I heard mostly heard Brighten The Corners) Pavement (and Wilco, too, although I've already heard a lot more of them than the other two), cause they left a good impression on me, but I don't think I have heard anything from "Feels". Very neat band, anyway. How varied are their albums? Are they all like Radically different from one another or anything? What would I like if I enjoyed things from Sung Tongs, eh?
Last edited by RyanEck at Feb 4, 2007,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
Young Prayer is alright, but from the two songs I have heard Person Pitch is going to be amazing...and also overlooked come its release in March being that it has some huge bands to compete with
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
^lots of albums
Arcade Fire
Modest Mouse
Andrew Bird
Bright Eyes EP

so there is some stiff competition there as far as indie land goes
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
I didn't realize Arcade Fire. My English teacher was playing some during lunch. I guess it must have been leaked stuff.

Anyway: Animal Collective.

They have some may tour dates, but unfortunately for me, no California ones yet.

05-14 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center
05-15 Newport, KY - Southgate House
05-16 Lexington, KY - The Dame
05-17 Chicago, IL - Metro
05-18 Iowa City, IA - Picador
05-19 Omaha, NE - Sokol
05-21 Denver, CO - Cervantes
05-22 Salt Lake City, UT - In the Venue
05-24 Albuquerque, NM - Launchpad
05-25 Marfa, TX - The Marfa Ballroom
05-26 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Tea Room
05-27 Austin, TX - Antone's
05-29 Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
you'll get 'em anyway...

I liked that Panda Bear track a lot Dorkus, really neet
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
hollinndagin has the best cd sleeve thing...i just wanted to let you all know that
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
It made me very happy when I opened it since it reminded me of vinyl albums, but that is only logical being that it was a vinyl only release
Godzilla1969
UG's Pretentious Asshole
546 IQ
I love Animal Collective. Such great, creative music. I'm more partial to Sung Tongs myself, but I still think Feels is brilliant.
WhereArtEsteban
I'm Hungry
890 IQ
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I didn't realize Arcade Fire. My English teacher was playing some during lunch. I guess it must have been leaked stuff.

Anyway: Animal Collective.

They have some may tour dates, but unfortunately for me, no California ones yet.

05-14 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center
05-15 Newport, KY - Southgate House
05-16 Lexington, KY - The Dame
05-17 Chicago, IL - Metro
05-18 Iowa City, IA - Picador
05-19 Omaha, NE - Sokol
05-21 Denver, CO - Cervantes
05-22 Salt Lake City, UT - In the Venue
05-24 Albuquerque, NM - Launchpad
05-25 Marfa, TX - The Marfa Ballroom
05-26 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Tea Room
05-27 Austin, TX - Antone's
05-29 Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre

THE GYPSY TEA ROOM IS SHUTTING DOWN , all shows that were lined up were moved to the Granada Theatre...I'm goin though with a few of my friends.
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
THE GYPSY TEA ROOM IS SHUTTING DOWN , all shows that were lined up were moved to the Granada Theatre...I'm goin though with a few of my friends.

That's really a bummer. The venue where I saw Animal Collective last year, The Temple Club, has since shut-down too. It sucks because that was pretty much the only venue in town for good independent music. I saw mewithoutYou, Make Believe, and Cursive there as well.
system
916 IQ
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

Feels
Sung Tongs
Here Comes the Indian
Hollinndagin
Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished
Danse Manatee
People EP
Prospect Hummer EP

wtf, i had no idea they released so many albums. out of those i'm missing danse manatee, people, and hollinndagin, are they worth getting?

weird that this thread is still around for you to revive it, a year later.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
Quote by system
wtf, i had no idea they released so many albums. out of those i'm missing danse manatee, people, and hollinndagin, are they worth getting?

weird that this thread is still around for you to revive it, a year later.

People is really good, half of Hollinndagin is really good, don't know about Danse Manatee...
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Just got my People EP today. It's a good teaser for the new album, though I still need to pick up a few things from their back catalog.. I only have Feels, Prospect Hummer, and People.
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
If you can, I'd say get Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanish/Danse Manatee before Sung Tongs on the grounds that it is way better.

And by the way, does anyone know where I can get the original copies of Spirit and Manatee rather than the reissued ones? I really want to the orginals (I already have the reissue).
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
So yeah...I just got the Grass EP with the DVD in it and everything. And I'm confused, at the moment.

On the DVD the video for Fickle Cycle is the same as Must Be A Treeman on the CD. It's hard to explain through words. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?
Doolittle
:liplick:
844 IQ
do you think i could find Animal Collectiv cds at like FYE, cause i wanna get Feels