sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
holy mother of god. recently since i've been trying to listen to jazz, i've gotten very into the little music i have by john coltrane. this was the miles davis album "kind of blue" and coltrane's own brilliant "giant steps", and i have now added "a love supreme". his music is just the most spiritual thing i have ever heard. incredibly uplifting, even if you don't plan to have any of your own religious awakenings, and i don't, there's just something deeply spiritual and pure about his music. "giant steps" is just brilliant, from the impossible to follow be-bop of the title track, to indian flavored solos to the gorgeous Naima. anybody else completely blown away by this genious?
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Fargalas
UG's resident Fargalas
133 IQ
Totally and completely. I'm thinking about acquiring a Guitar Supreme, which is a whole bunch of his stuff covered by Jazz Fusion musicians like Eric Johnson.

You aren't alone in your love of Coltrane. He's that good.
les_paul_01
UG Freak
500 IQ
i play guitar in a jazz band at school so i naturally came across coltrane. hes one of the few musicians who can inspire audiences 40 years after his death. its good to know others my age respect such a great musician.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
INDUSTRIALMETAL
What is that noise?
133 IQ
I'm a really, really big fan. I first fell in love with his work when I heard his album with Kenny Burell about a two years ago. Ever since then I have become a relative fanatic.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
Quote by Fargalas
Totally and completely. I'm thinking about acquiring a Guitar Supreme, which is a whole bunch of his stuff covered by Jazz Fusion musicians like Eric Johnson.

I've heard it isn't very good.

Personally I love John Coltrane, although I do think that A Love Supreme is vastly overated...

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
^it's not as good as "Giant Steps" in my opinion, but it's still fantastic. I'd say it's more spiritual than Giant Steps and that was a sound Trane was really known for, but i do like a lot of the pieces on GS more.

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
Quote by les_paul_01
i play guitar in a jazz band at school so i naturally came across coltrane. hes one of the few musicians who can inspire audiences 40 years after his death. its good to know others my age respect such a great musician.

Same here. I atcaully transpose his work into guitar and when ever we arent doing anything in jazz band i sit in a corner and play coltrane.

Also check out some charlie parker. This guy is amazing.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
I just got some Best of John Coltrane and Miles Davis thing from the library. I already had a few by each, but this was really cool 'cause it was all colaborations between what are in my opinion the two greatest jazz artists. And yes, Giant Steps is brilliant.
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
My favorite Coltrane album is the one he did with Thelonious Monk. "Ruby My Dear" will get you laid.
Hi, I'm Peter
RhoadsSRV8290
Junko Partner
193 IQ
I'm a big fan of Equinox. I don't know why but that song just speaks to me.
If everyone liked what I did, I probably wouldn't be playing anything of depth.

—Joshua Redman
Dr. Hackenbush
Where's my Kayak?!
11 IQ
Quote by mexican_shred
Also check out some charlie parker. This guy is amazing.

Absolutely, Charlie Parker was incredible--same goes for Coltrane of course. I don't have any of his albums but I have a set called "The Classic Quartet" that is mindblowing.
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.

Founder of the "I have better taste in everything than you" club - don't pm me to join, we're full at the moment. Not enough folding chairs.
Gabuydachk
443 IQ
i love his stuff
his version of my favorite things and on green dolphin street (w/ M davis)
and nobody can deny the greatness of tunes like equinox, impressions, blue train, giant steps, and a love supreme

EDIT: listen to his version of Greensleeves

'tis life
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
John Coltrane + Thelonious Monk = the Pinnacle of Jazz collaborations.
FunFuBarMan
I play Geeetar good
389 IQ
I play sax so i love Coletrain
my blog gameruber.blogspot.com
Member #6 of ''Beatlemania is NOT Phony''
Gibson Flying V
New Yourk pro Strat
Big Muf Pi
Jimi Hendrix Wah
Boss PH-3
Vox AD100VT
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Quote by hellview_666
oh brilliant..ive learnt something new thanks man!
Steve Cropper
Blues Addict
63 IQ
I don't know about the most epic collaboration. I've heard Coleman Hawkins and Django Reinhardt jamming on "Body and Soul" for half an hour changed some lives.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
^do you have that jam? is it available anywhere?

deluxity
...leading to death
1,722 IQ
has anyone heard the bootleg from stockholm, i have walkin' on my ipod and it's amazing
VR2005
UG Addict
1,507 IQ
now reviving a thread from almost a year ago.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
VR2005
UG Addict
1,507 IQ
I'll agree with that though.

SRV99
184 IQ
for the gutiar players who are into coltrane, listen to Derek Trucks, he was greatly inspired by coltarane and his playing style (his phrasing and the pauses he puts in his playing) are similar.

On Coltrane: I was introduced to him through listening to Trucks and I really like his style (especially Equinox, Mr. PC, and his version of Greensleeves).
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
^Also check out Duane Allman's solo in "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". He draws a heavy Coltrane style into them.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
Coltrane is amazing, the first jazz that I ever listened to was Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"
VR2005
UG Addict
1,507 IQ
^Definitely my favorite standard that John Coltrane ever recorded.

ledhed68
1,305 IQ
For SRV99, check out the Doors' "Light My Fire", it was influened by Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", it's how i was introduced to him.
SRV99
184 IQ
Quote by ledhed68
For SRV99, check out the Doors' "Light My Fire", it was influened by Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", it's how i was introduced to him.

Yeah, I recently got the doors guitar tab book, and they interviewed kreiger, who said coltrane was a great influence on him. The Am, Bm chord change in light my fire is really coltrane-like.
Agga
43 IQ
Got to love John Coltrane
Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join

Member of Kula Shaker Fan Club. PM darthbuttchin
MastaBassist10
Banned
4,134 IQ
Quote by sirpsycho85
holy mother of god. recently since i've been trying to listen to jazz, i've gotten very into the little music i have by john coltrane. this was the miles davis album "kind of blue" and coltrane's own brilliant "giant steps", and i have now added "a love supreme". his music is just the most spiritual thing i have ever heard. incredibly uplifting, even if you don't plan to have any of your own religious awakenings, and i don't, there's just something deeply spiritual and pure about his music. "giant steps" is just brilliant, from the impossible to follow be-bop of the title track, to indian flavored solos to the gorgeous Naima. anybody else completely blown away by this genious?

Sleepn_Giant
72 IQ
Giant Steps is really cool and is probably my favorite album by him. But I also think Blue Train is another one of his amazing albums that I noticed hasn't gotten as much mention as it should here.

I especially love the song Moment's Notice (of course) .
sinan90
2,455 IQ
I love Trane, but sometimes I think his soloing becomes incoherent and doesn't have the conciseness of someone such as Bird. It sometimes takes Trane a few minutes to say in a solo what Bird would do in 48 bars.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
samoo
Full-time snail racer
179 IQ
Why is there no discussion on Coltrane here? What's up with you guys..

Favorite albums anyone?
slidething31
375 IQ
My favorite things and a love supreme.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
Quote by samoo
Why is there no discussion on Coltrane here? What's up with you guys..

Favorite albums anyone?

Of the ones I have...
1. A Love Supreme
2. Giant Steps
3. One Down, One Up
4. My Favorite Things
5. Ascension
6. Blue Train
7. Impressions

But they're all amazing, really.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by ohhey9040

1. A Love Supreme
2. Giant Steps

Two of the greatest pieces of recorded music in the history of mankind.

And that is not hyperbole.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by sinan90
I love Trane, but sometimes I think his soloing becomes incoherent and doesn't have the conciseness of someone such as Bird. It sometimes takes Trane a few minutes to say in a solo what Bird would do in 48 bars.

I will agree to an extent, but I don't like comparing musicians, especially Sax players, that way. By that token, it takes Bird 48 bars to say what Mr. Porkpie Hat could say in 12. It's disingenuous to the artist.

That said, his outrageous stuff on Impressions takes some getting used to, but the first lick of A Love Supreme is tear wrenching.