Page 1 of 2
Stratocaster93
281 IQ
I'm like the only guy I know who likes the Dire Straits! They're good! Mark Knopfler is a great lead guitarist! I need people's opinions so I can see if I'm right or wrong about how awesome they are and if I'm right I can rub it in my friends' faces.
obliteratus
122 IQ
If you like them, they're awesome. Why care are about other people's opinions? Anyway, yes, I'm quite fond of them and I also like Mark Knopfler's solo project. They're pretty cool.
For those about to rock, I salute you!
dorian_mode
cool hand lukas
84 IQ
well dear it's a matter of opinion (as it always comes down to with music most of the time eh lads an ladies) some might appreciate the technique of Mr Knopfler but not like his songs to much or maybe like the drumming.. i personally really like the drumming in sultans of swing and love the lead infact the whole song is great anywho no point being a bastard about it all lol.

(beat me to first post hehe )

who else ya like?
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast on the back of a cat and dropped it?
Atreideslegend
UG Fanatic
820 IQ
its strange, i love mark knopfler but hate dire straits, maybe its just the guys voice....

...marky's a wasted talent if u ask me
thekevinfoltmer
UG Senior Member
379 IQ
dire straights is very good
qwtper?

Quote by capt_dammit
"i knew i shouldn't of drank the kool-aid..."

Gibson Les Paul 1958 Standard Custom Shop
Vox ac30
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
I've got a couple of their albums, and I'm pretty impressed with their stuff. Mark is indeed a good guitarists, but apart from that, he's very creative in what he does. I mean, some of the stuff he plays is definetly "different" sometimes. He's got a lot of different varieties of styles he plays in; one song could be soft and bluesy, and the next upbeat.

Good band.

And like the other guys said, it's a matter of opinion who you like. Just because no one else likes a band you do, doesn't mean you should question whether or not you should listen to them.
Calum_Barrow
(the return)
1,255 IQ
Of course I like the Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler is my all time favourite guitarist. I love the Straits, and I'm a big fan of his solo career, and of what I've heard of the Notting Hillbillies. Thing that surpises me the most is that they only had one number 1.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
yeah mark knopfler is one of the best guitarists ever. he really invented the laid back, clean tone.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
The Wanderer
I am the Boss
98 IQ
sultans of swing got me into guitar. i also love sailing to philadalphia and everything with dire straits.

Hey how much is that guitar worth on the cover of the greatest hits and brothers in arms?
Last edited by The Wanderer at Feb 11, 2006,
Calum_Barrow
(the return)
1,255 IQ
Quote by The Wanderer
sultans of swing got me into guitar. i also love sailing to philadalphia and everything with dire straits.

Hey how much is that guitar worth on the cover of the greatest hits and brothers in arms?

That's a National Style O 14 fret resonator. Dunno how much Mark's is worth, but for a 30s model like his you're looking to spend around £4000+ IMO
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
wilty00
From a Distance.
1,489 IQ
My dads a big fan so I ended up hearing them at a young age.. Walk of Life, Local Hero, and Sultans of swing are great songs and Money For Nothing is one of many songs that inspired me to play guitar.
rds0811
Lefty
307 IQ
My dad LOVES Dire Straits and over the summer I got a couple CD's for him. We listened to them in the car and I recognized some songs that I didn't know were Dire Straits. Then he told me he wanted Brothers In Arms played at his funeral, and it's a beautiful song. I love the mellowness and the slow soloing..
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
kaotik420
does anyone read these?
419 IQ
yup, i'm a fan.
and don't worry, most of my friends don't care for the straits much either.. that doesn't stop me from playing them, and saying Mark is one of the greats
"My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you."
- Ben Harper 'burn one down'
Svetlana
Banned
40 IQ
Dire Straits are so cool!

Sultans Of Swing is an almigthy song. So is Romeo and Juliet.
NineInchNails_0
Gentle Giant!
679 IQ
My dad has all their albums, so I've heard quite a few songs. Brothers In Arms, Walk of Life, Money For Nothing, Sultans of Swing, Heavy Fuel etc. are all great.

They're very good. You shouldn't give a **** about what your friends think. If you wanna listen to them, then do it. All my friends absolutely hate King Crimson, but they're my favorite band and I will not stop listening to them just because some other dudes don't like it.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
freewheelinbird
UG Addict
2,222 IQ
sultans of swing is the most annoying song ever written
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
blues_rocker
Behold my MSPaint skills!
93 IQ
Quote by freewheelinbird
sultans of swing is the most annoying song ever written

*insert o rly owl*

ON topic: I love Dire Straits, and Knopfler. Sultans of swing, Money for Nothing, Romeo and Juliet, and Walk of Life are my favorite Dire Straits songs.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Johnsonville
BLUES Boy
532 IQ
Quote by dr_john
yeah mark knopfler is one of the best guitarists ever. he really invented the laid back, clean tone.

I believe that was David Gilmour but I still Love his Brilliance
Quote by Frank Zappa
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music post
hippy12
Stop watching me Dan.
405 IQ
i love the dire straits... you're not the only person who likes them.
NineInchNails_0
Gentle Giant!
679 IQ
*OFF-TOPIC*

Did you guys know that Mark Knopfler NEVER EVER uses a pick? Weird...
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
no_comedy
35 IQ
Dire Straits are awesome. I must have the most ROCKIN' GRANDMA out there because she's the one that got me into them!
I'll kung YOUR fu!
born to run
10 IQ
i think dire straits is one of the best bands ever sultans of swings and tunnel of love are my favorite songs
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
first, there is no THE in front of dire straits.

second, you shouldnt need to prove anything about the music you listen to. the only thing that matters is that you know where you stand
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
Quote by NineInchNails_0
*OFF-TOPIC*

yeh he moulded his finger picking style on JJ Cale
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Which song is it has THAT saxophone line?

You know the one always used in adverts?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
AICriff008
freak out
199 IQ
I like a few Dire Straits songs...Knopfler has an interesting approach to the guitar with his sparse, fiery licks that I think is really cool. My favorite song by them is probably Six Blade Knife from their first album.
The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list...
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P
Sherman901
UG Senior Member
320 IQ
Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler are awesome.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Fenda
Eye of the Tiger
10 IQ
I love 'em, they do good chillout music aswell as some party starters.
Sex is like a game of Bridge; if you dont have a good partner you better have a good hand.
Tenacious Me
Huh?
1,045 IQ
Quote by NineInchNails_0
*OFF-TOPIC*

Another off question Did any of you know that Mark is left handed but plays like a right handed person.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Nobody's Hero
A cockatoo!...or three!
16 IQ
Yes
Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream

Member of the Beatlemania Is Not Phony Club...pm Sgt Pepper27 to join
Tenacious Me
Huh?
1,045 IQ
Wow I feel really unimportant now. I didnt know that for a long time.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
rds0811
Lefty
307 IQ
I didn't know that, and I'm a lefty who plays lefty...
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Steph Bets
Uncomfortably Numb
452 IQ
oh man mark knoplfer is one of the greatest guitar geniuses ever. i put him on par with jimi hendrix. he just totally reinvented what guitar could sound like and achieve. i mean there are so many DS songs where hes playing really complicated stuff, but it never distracts you from the rest of the song. it adds to it. gah! i love em to death and i cant put hat into words

rds0811: your dad is cool. when i read the bit about him wanting brothers in arms at his funeral i got shivers. such an emotional song. as for me i've already picked lover you shouldve come over by jeff buckley...

to the thread starter if you like em, sod what youre friends think.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
stiff-upper-lip
UG's Music Technologist
1,025 IQ
yes, Dire Straits are awesome. love jamming along to some of their stuff. my fav song has gotta be either Tunnel of Love or Telegraph Road. both got sweet solos
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
Quote by frenchyfungus
Which song is it has THAT saxophone line?

You know the one always used in adverts?

i think you are looking for 'your latest trick' from the 'brothers in arms' album

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix