Page 3 of 9
So Bergtatt is a ridiculously good album...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
A friend of mine sent me Hymne I- Wolf and Fear a while ago and I rejected listening to it because it was so raw and poorly produced.
But, I just got Kveldssanger and it is absolutely amazing. I also have Nattens Midrigal and it's raw as balls and hurts my ears, but the music itself it quite good.
Quote by RPGoof
A friend of mine sent me Hymne I- Wolf and Fear a while ago and I rejected listening to it because it was so raw and poorly produced.
But, I just got Kveldssanger and it is absolutely amazing. I also have Nattens Midrigal and it's raw as balls and hurts my ears, but the music itself it quite good.

Bergtatt > Nattens Madrigal > Kveldssanger
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Pretty much. Bergtatt is just absolutely amazing, few albums of any genre have ever left the same impact on me as that one. Nattens Madrigal is great, but I have to be in the right mood for it. Kveldssanger ranges from okay to good. There's a lot of European folk bands that do the style better (Vali, and Neun Welten, for example).
Last edited by Broadsword at Oct 15, 2008,
I actually saw Nattens Madrigal at a store, but I decided to get something else.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
I actually saw Nattens Madrigal at a store, but I decided to get something else.

pics or it didn't happen. you live in North England.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
massachusetts =/= north england

massachusetts = new england

ahh fack. I used to live in NE too...(Vermont)
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
pics or it didn't happen. you live in North England.

Exactly. We have Newbury Comics.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
yeah yeah my typo.

Anyways, Hymn 4 is badass, I might record myself playing it if I could learn it by ear
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
new england is for champions

Huzzah!

I just Blood Inside the other day. The music on this is so tripped out and crazy... It's like the most insane music I've ever heard. I really love it.

I don't even know what else to say about it because it's taken my thoughts away...

I found it at Newbury Comcis, too. Used and cheap. Someone in Boston has good taste in music.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
I've still never checked out any of Ulver's stuff after Nattens Madrigal.

Give me an album to check out.
Blood Inside. I only have it and Shadows of the Sun, but Blood Inside is much better.

I think I prefer Post black metal era Ulver to their Black Metal days... The black stuff is great, but it's a lot more predictable than this stuff. This is fucked up. That stuff's just great.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Blood Inside

edit: ^as do I, it took a while, but Blood Inside is probably my favorite album, right above Bergtatt

Christmas is such an amazing song
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Oct 26, 2008,
Thanks, I'll look into getting it.

Although I honestly doubt I'll like it better than Bergtatt, since I like that album more than 90% of the rest I own.
I have Blood Inside, just never gave it a full spin yet

Bergtatt just beckons every time I want some Ulver

granted I love Blinded by Blood and It Is Not Sound (Keith Emerson playing Bach ftw!)
HESSIAN HAREM
I don't mind the production that much of nattens madrigal (it's really raw, but you can actually hear what's happening, unlike a bunch of those myspace clowns trying to be kvlt), but the guitar tone is just waaaay too trebly.
I agree to a degree

However, what gets me is that it sounds like they recorded the album and went

"you know, the kids these days, they aren't into this great stuff. We should just add a layer of static noise over the whole album, and condense your guitar to a really narrow band of treble freqs. Oh, the kids will love this!"

I mean come on, you can't be necro if you can hear the bass underneath it all, so it seems to me they had a great thing and added the static afterwards to sound raw.

Why I do not know
HESSIAN HAREM
Turns out the vocals from Blood Inside are difficult to memorize and sing...

Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Nor is Your Call.

But freaking Operator, The Truth, and Dressed in Black are so hard due to how sporadic they are.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Not as good. At all.

It's more minimalisitc. All the songs are like Blinded by Blood. They're not bad, but it's far more boring.

It's still a very good album, especially for relaxation/sadness.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Last edited by BringMeTheCalm at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by progbass
I agree to a degree

However, what gets me is that it sounds like they recorded the album and went

"you know, the kids these days, they aren't into this great stuff. We should just add a layer of static noise over the whole album, and condense your guitar to a really narrow band of treble freqs. Oh, the kids will love this!"

I mean come on, you can't be necro if you can hear the bass underneath it all, so it seems to me they had a great thing and added the static afterwards to sound raw.

Why I do not know
Yeah, fugg'n sucks...Nattens Madrigal is such a good album too. I'd love to listen to it loudly, but it hurts my ears! I don't mean that in a 'it's too under-produced for me to appreciate' way, but in a 'my ear drums are literally in pain right now' kind of way.

I might load the album up onto Audition and see what I can do with the EQ...if it turns out well, maybe I'll upload it as the Remastered Version
no one ever talks about it, but ...Marriage of Heaven and Hell is awesome. A couple of the tracks are a little annoying but most of the songs are amazing.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
I really want to get it as I want to bridge the gap between black metal and crazy electronic ulver.

I'll probably order it from amazon or something eventually.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Not as good. At all.

It's more minimalisitc. All the songs are like Blinded by Blood. They're not bad, but it's far more boring.

It's still a very good album, especially for relaxation/sadness.

I have to disagree, I think Shadows was much better than Blood, Blood was way too unfocused to me, and I thought Bonded by Blood was the best track. I was actually hoping the next album would be more of an ambient thing, and low and behold it was. To each their own though. All of it is awesome at the end of the day.
I love Shadows of the Sun, brilliant album. Blood Inside is great too but I prefer the dark, minimalistic tracks on Shadows. I actually hope they'll continue in this style, though Ulver being Ulver, they will probably change styles again.
just got this band, listening to Bergtatt.

incredible

and, somethin funny I read on wikipaedia (not sure if already been posted here):

"The album [referring to Nattens Madrigal] is intentionally underproduced, akin to Darkthrone’s Transilvanian Hunger, with buzzing guitars and rather muffled drums. There are rumors surrounding this album and its recording, the most famous being that the band recorded this album in a forest. A lesser-known rumor is that the band purposely recorded the album on a four-track cassette recorder and used the money that Century Media gave them for other things, like Armani suits, haircuts, cocaine, beer, and/or a new car. When questioned on this matter, Garm only affirmed that the band have expensive tastes."

I likey the Bergtatt.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
don't believe everything you read...

and Drew, Marriage is interesting to say the least.
HESSIAN HAREM
Could someone recommend me an album similar to Kveldssanger?
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

from Ulver? Bergtatt.

from other bands....check out Agalloch's White EP and Drudkh's Songs of Grief and Solitude.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by linfield4466
Could someone recommend me an album similar to Kveldssanger?

I can't think of any particular albums, but you should check out the bands Tenhi, Vàli, October Falls, Empyrium, Nest, Neun Welten, and Of The Wand and Moon.
Thanks guys. I really love the idea of all acoustics and very little vocals.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

I really enjoy Svidd Neger and Lyckantropen Themes.
------------------