hi, is tremolo picking and alternate picking the same thing, just a different name?
Quote by greensand
Is it overdrive that gives that chugga chugga sound?
Sort of. Alternate picking is basically, down picking, then up picking, then down picking and so on in that order.

Tremolo picking is the same thing, but as fast as you can do it
Been away, am back
Tremolo picking uses alternate picking. Alternate is just picking up and down anytime.

Tremolo picking is just rapid alternate picking. Its hard to explain
Tremolo Picking = The use of alternate picking as fast as possible (or really fast)

Alternate picking = Picking the string(s) up and down; Not just straight down/up-picking
Quote by Refixer

Alternate picking = Picking the string(s) up and down; Not just straight down/up-picking

depends. With economy picking, your still picking up and down, but in a different way, depending on which string your on.
Been away, am back
so tremolo picking is the same thing as alternate picking, just fast?

so Slayer - raining Blood (@ 2 minutes & 50 seconds ) = tremolo picking??
Quote by greensand
Is it overdrive that gives that chugga chugga sound?
Well, tremolo is picking back and forth really fast. Alternate picking is a way to pick more efficiently by alternating up strokes and down strokes as you play a song. Alternate is a way to increase playing speed by not trying to always pick downwards (and hence having to move your hand back up between notes so that you can pick down again).
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Tremolo picking isn't just fast picking, it's fast picking of (usually) one note.
Say you had a 'whole note' that was tremolo picked, you would repeatedly pick that one note as many times as possible for the duration of a whole note.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron