Page 2 of 39
Quote by reef_d
The Crusher is an awesome album. Fate of Norns was too melodic

Nah, Fate Of Norns was brilliant, but I do enjoy the rawrer, earlier stuff.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
To me, Fate of Norns just doesn't have the same "magic" about it that I find when listening to Once Sent and Vs. The World.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by frozen-dirt
Thousand Years of Oppression

Out of my five favourite songs, that's definatly on there.

1. Annihilation of Hammerfest
2. In Pursuit of Vikings
3. Thousand Years of Oppression
4. Versus The World
5. Beheading of A King
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Why cannot death just SET ME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Okay, I need some help from all you guys who know more about Amon Amarth and Norse stuff than I do. I'm doing an extra credit paper on a song that has to do with oppression (we're reading To Kill a Mockingbird and doing some civil rights stuff), so naturally I thought a good choice would be Thousand Years of Oppression. Anyways, we have to explain the lyrics, and I ran into a problem. I don't know who this is talking about:

He hung on the windswept world tree
Whose roots no one knows
For nine whole days he hung there pierced
By Gugnir, his spear

Swimming in pain he peered into the depths
And cried out in agony
Reaching out he grasped the runes
Before falling back from the abyss

He gave himself unto himself
In a world of sheering pain
Go that we all may live our lives
By the wisdom that he gained

You doubted him, and spread their lies

Who's "he", and what are the lyrics here talking about?
Quote by LedZeppelin
The drumming in Death In Fire = sick.

the intro drums to Bastards Of A Lying Breed are pretty br00tal

to Frozen Dirt, I guess my post is pretty useless since it doesn't offer much help at all, but just for the sake of it Amon Amarth is Mount Doom in Lord Of The Rings (which is where the names Gorgoroth, Nazgul and Sauron come from too on that note). And the lyrics, unless they're metaphorical, seem to be pointing in that direction. The impression that I got was it was talking about the slaying of Isildur after he cut off the finger with the Ring off Sauron's finger. But this is probably nothing to do with what the song is about, so definitely look for other opinions and info

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Mar 21, 2006,
frozen-dirt: I'm pretty sure it's Oden (Odin in the american way of spelling). I know Gugnir is Oden's spear, so I'm pretty sure they're referring to him.

EDIT:^I don't think it has anything to do with LOTR at all. It's all Norse Mythology. This would be the story of how Oden got the runes that gave all the vikings a code to live by. Or something like that. But it has nothing to do with LOTR.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Quote by reed
frozen-dirt: I'm pretty sure it's Oden (Odin in the american way of spelling). I know Gugnir is Oden's spear, so I'm pretty sure they're referring to him.

EDIT:^I don't think it has anything to do with LOTR at all. It's all Norse Mythology. This would be the story of how Oden got the runes that gave all the vikings a code to live by. Or something like that. But it has nothing to do with LOTR.

yeah I thought it was far fetched thing too. Well, guess I'm off to read some Norse myths...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by reed
This would be the story of how Oden got the runes that gave all the vikings a code to live by. Or something like that.

Aha! That's what I was looking for. Cool, I guess I'll google this to see if I can get some more info. If anyone knows the details of the story, feel free to elaborate. Thanks reed. you > intercourse.
Quote by frozen-dirt
Okay, I need some help from all you guys who know more about Amon Amarth and Norse stuff than I do. I'm doing an extra credit paper on a song that has to do with oppression (we're reading To Kill a Mockingbird and doing some civil rights stuff), so naturally I thought a good choice would be Thousand Years of Oppression. Anyways, we have to explain the lyrics, and I ran into a problem. I don't know who this is talking about:

Whose roots no one knows
By Gugnir, his spear

And cried out in agony

He is Oden (Odin), as Erik said.

He hung himself for nine days off Yggdrasil (the world tree), impaled on his spear to be hacked on by ravens and such. All to gain the wisdom of the gods. He was gained the knowledge about the secrets of the runes and (I think) through those discovering the secrets of magic.

Also the title I believe refers to the fact that it is about 1000 years since the nordic coutries were christianised.

It's nothing about LOTR, it's just their name that comes from LOTR.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
He is Oden (Odin), as Erik said.

He hung himself for nine days off Yggdrasil (the world tree), impaled on his spear to be hacked on by ravens and such. All to gain the wisdom of the gods. He was gained the knowledge about the secrets of the runes and (I think) through those discovering the secrets of magic.

Also the title I believe refers to the fact that it is about 1000 years since the nordic coutries were christianised.

It's nothing about LOTR, it's just their name that comes from LOTR.

Poetic Edda for the fucking win.

Quote by Magero
Quote by narmi
Why cannot death just SET ME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Rainbow Bridge, the riffs, the lyrics, EVERYTHING.

Why does no one else seems to love that song as much???
Everyone loves that song, what are you talking about haha. It's one of the more over-fellated AA songs IMO. That and 1000 Years of Oppression.
THE TREND IS OVER
Quote by frozen-dirt

Whose roots no one knows
By Gugnir, his spear

And cried out in agony

The 'world tree' is also known as Yggdrasil which is a tree which connects all 9 worlds. This probably also links in with the 'For nine whole days he hung there pierced'. I'm not sure of all the worlds, but I know Asgard and Nifelhel are definately connected by the roots of the tree. I'm sure you can find out more by searching Yggdrasil.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Quote by reed
Everyone loves that song, what are you talking about haha. It's one of the more over-fellated AA songs IMO. That and 1000 Years of Oppression.

So little appreciation for pre-VTW stuff around here. I remember when I first discovered AA (late '97), and it seemed like NO ONE had even heard of them.

Quote by Magero
Quote by Spynal
So little appreciation for pre-VTW stuff around here. I remember when I first discovered AA (late '97), and it seemed like NO ONE had even heard of them.

The Avenger was practically my first "true" metal CD. Hasn't climbed down from number one on my list since. VTW, while an excellent CD, hasn't had the same staying power. (I think it's partially the guitar tone TBH lol)

Anyway, The Avenger and back is Amon Amarth at their best.
THE TREND IS OVER
I'm gonna get The Avenger and Once Sent From The Golden Hall soon. Looking forward to that. Is The Crusher any good?
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
It's ..... different. I prefer the other four albums myself. It's by no means bad, just not as "driven" as the rest I'd say. After Bastards of a Lying Breed it's sort of sloweer, heavier, more crushing songs. Still a fucking fine album that any fan should own, just not my personal favorite.

Quote by Magero
The first two songs are awesome, get's a little sub-par after that (which by no means, is a bad thing )
From what ive seen i like most of their less famous songs:

Thor Arise
A Fury Divine
Bleed For Ancient Gods
Valkyries Ride

And the popular stuff too: DIF,IPOV,AOD etc..
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
I dont get whats so special about this band, I've listened to about five songs and they are just boring as hell.
Your mom was boring as hell!122328940elevenbangedyourmomelheit!!!

Meh, different strokes for different folks I guess. One of my absolute favorite bands since I first heard them almost 9 (gulp) years ago

Quote by Magero
There's something special about Amon Amarth that makes them un-boring. The instrumentation isn't awesome or anything, but everything is just done so perfectly that it works. Listen to Death In Fire, doesn't it just sound like you're being thrown into a pit of fire? The drums and the guitar just work so well together and the vocals seal the deal.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
^ Dude, I totally didn't know you sigged that, fucking awesome!!!

Yeah, there's a certain magic with Amon Amarth. Every time I hear "Dragons Flight Across The Waves" or "North Sea Storm" I just get chilled to the bone by the atmosphere.

Quote by Magero
I don't find Dragon's Flight too incredible compared to some of the other songs on the album, but that gradual fade in is awesome. Kind of like The Moor by Opeth - it's just mind blowing.

From what ive seen i like most of their less famous songs:

Thor Arise
A Fury Divine
Bleed For Ancient Gods
Valkyries Ride

Thor Arise is a bad ass song.
Quote by SGRocker0791
I love Amon Amarth. I listen to either "Pursuit of Vikings" or "Death in Fire" everyday.

yeah Death In Fire was the first song i heard, and that just drew me in

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Sanitarium24
I don't find Dragon's Flight too incredible compared to some of the other songs on the album, but that gradual fade in is awesome.

It's one of my personal favs, the fade-in, the atmosphere, the solo...great.

A question for you Swedish speaking people here: What does Johann say in the spoken part of "Ride for Vengeance" and what does it mean? It sure sounds like Swedish, or is it even an ancient language of the Norns?
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
"Mäktiga gudar,
i gyllene salen.
Hjälp mig i striden
mot sondräparna,
Den höge skall
For huggen hämnas
och blod skall gäldas
i blod"

"Mighty gods,
Of the Golden Hall.
Help me in the battle
Agains the slayers of sons,
The High One shall
For the stabwounds avenge
And blod shall be repaid
In blood."

That's my rough translation.
Quote by LedZeppelin
There's something special about Amon Amarth that makes them un-boring. The instrumentation isn't awesome or anything, but everything is just done so perfectly that it works. Listen to Death In Fire, doesn't it just sound like you're being thrown into a pit of fire? The drums and the guitar just work so well together and the vocals seal the deal.

I agree with that statement
Well, the DVD has been delayed by a month...
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Quote by frozen-dirt
Wow....

Beheading of a King....

Catchiest Riff....

EVER.

Its been in my head for a month...