Page 5 of 818
Emmm, if he hated them why would he play them live? He obviously likes them, and they are cheap so he can smash them.

BIG NEWS, MY WHORE ARMY
Quote by MTV

Muse Hope Fans Aren't Too Shocked By 'Genre-Morphing' New LP

Many bands will tell you that, long before they head into the studio to start recording a new album, they'll test the waters a bit. Maybe they'll experiment with exotic instrumentation, tinker with different musical styles and challenge the overall direction of the sound they've already established - ideally without alienating their fanbase.

Over the years, Muse fans have come to expect the band to push the proverbial envelope. And the thunderous British rock trio have abided, consistently expanding their sonic reach and releasing LPs that pull from diverse influences including Radiohead, Black Sabbath and Queen.

But even Muse's most adventurous fans might be surprised by the group's forthcoming LP, which was recorded in New York last October with Rich Costey (Franz Ferdinand, Cave In).

"The diversity of the album and some of the directions we've discovered and gone for might shock [our fans] in some way," drummer Dominic Howard explained. "Hopefully, it will be a nice shock ? ultimately all of them sound like Muse. We reached a point where we were looking at all these songs and how different they sounded, and we were wondering how this was ever going to sound like a band, like one album. But somehow it really does."

Muse ? who are currently mixing the yet-untitled follow-up to 2003's Absolution ? spent a number of months writing "in this old chateau that's hours away from civilization" in the south of France, Howard said. The band brought 16 tracks to New York, and the dramatic change of scenery helped shape the end product ? which will probably feature 11 cuts when it hits stores in July.

"When we moved into this crazy, claustrophobic, fast-paced way of living, we absorbed some of that energy and that affected the recording," Howard said of the move to New York. "If we had stayed in the south of France, we would have taken five years to finish the record. [There,] we spent a lot of time just discovering what we were going to do, sitting around and chatting about where we wanted to take the band and which direction certain songs should follow."

The material, Howard said, is a "very drastic" mix of musical styles: Some tracks border on "mellow jazz," while others are at the opposite end of the spectrum, sounding like "Prince-influenced, groove-based rock weirdness." The work of influential Italian film composer Ennio Morricone ("The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," "The Untouchables") inspired the space-prog tune "The Knights of Cydonia." And on "Take a Bow," which calls on world leaders to take responsibility for their actions, Muse move through three musical stages: starting off as a classical piece before moving into a techno mid-section and an "apocalyptic rock" ending.

Howard said the band is currently putting the finishing touches on the disc and deliberating which song to release as the first single. Muse will debut some of the new material this summer during a number of European festival appearances, and the group plans to tour the U.S. this fall.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Theres nothign wrong with Squires!!! (Fozzie shamefully hides his Squire bass away from peoples veiw and crys for a while, but then becomes happy knowing he has a Hofner Verithin 1964 bass worth a ****ing bomb!!!) hehe
For the longest time now I've been saying that I wasn't fond of Muse, but last week I finally gave in and bought Orgin of Symmetry. I have to say, it is one of the best CDs I've boughten in the past couple months or so. So then I went out and bought Showbiz; yet again, another amazing album. All I had ever heard of theirs before now was just their radio hits, which I weren't too amazed by, but they just blow my mind. Just wanted to say that Muse is officially one of the best modern bands out today.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Quote by Glen_Hansard
http://www.toazted.com/artistinfo.php?artist=433
Interview about the new album.

Everytime I heard more about it I get more excited. I'm actually happy now that I'll be in France in July. I can sit outside in the sun and listen to it

Thanx for the interview.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
I just downloaded a video of Micro Cuts at Montreux '02. I had heard that it was the best performance of Micro Cuts, but I didn't realise just how good it was. Get it.
Those ibanez guitars are DTX120. they are 'rare' in the sense that they aren't made anymore, i think they're awesome, bought one recently. They only cost £230. As for the new album, it's gonna be awesome. just some of the descriptions of them from the band, these songs sound special, but July 3rd, so far away........
Spiral Out
^It will be leaked before that, hopefully. I'm happy with DES, Debase Masons Grog, Burning Bandits and Crying Shame for now
Quote by grooved
Those ibanez guitars are DTX120. they are 'rare' in the sense that they aren't made anymore, i think they're awesome, bought one recently. They only cost £230. As for the new album, it's gonna be awesome. just some of the descriptions of them from the band, these songs sound special, but July 3rd, so far away........

I thought Ibanez brought Destroyers back about two-three years ago?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
that might be the other destroyer type, theres two, the one they still make, is bigger and more expensive.
Spiral Out
Quote by Glen_Hansard
I just downloaded a video of Micro Cuts at Montreux '02. I had heard that it was the best performance of Micro Cuts, but I didn't realise just how good it was. Get it.

The WHOLE Montreux '02 performance is awesome
Quote by grooved
that might be the other destroyer type, theres two, the one they still make, is bigger and more expensive.

aw okay, I just saw it in the issue of the Guitar World a while back and I didn't know there was two of them. Thanks for info

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by YAY_FOR_PIE
For the longest time now I've been saying that I wasn't fond of Muse, but last week I finally gave in and bought Orgin of Symmetry. I have to say, it is one of the best CDs I've boughten in the past couple months or so. So then I went out and bought Showbiz; yet again, another amazing album. All I had ever heard of theirs before now was just their radio hits, which I weren't too amazed by, but they just blow my mind. Just wanted to say that Muse is officially one of the best modern bands out today.

woosh!

only 20 million more people to go *plots*
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
They're headlining Leeds & Reading again this year along with Pearl Jam and Franz Ferdinand.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
They're headlining Leeds & Reading again this year along with Pearl Jam and Franz Ferdinand.

yay, and Feeder are playing

shame i aint going :-\

Quote by metaldud536

A friend told me about Muse so I picked up Origins Of Symmetry and it is absolutely amazing. These guys are crazy...I'm still in awe after listening to this CD...

Crazy...
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
^Origin is the best place to start out. Get Showbiz next

Thanks to MuseLive, a list of gigs coming up.

24th June - Southside festival
25th June - Hurricane festival
30th June - Werchter festival
1st July - Arras festival
2nd July - Belfort/Eurockenees
3rd July - NEW ALBUM RELEASE
7th July - Supporting Depeche Mode
8th July - Quart Festival

Mid-August -12th- Summer Sonic
- Lowlands
- Reading/Leeds

17th -18th August - Frequency Festival(they actually moved the Festival back a day or two so that Muse can play at it)
everytime i go on youtube and watch some of the live vids i can't help but shake my head and wonder why they are so unbelievably good and yet not huge. i became a fan a little after Absolution came out in the UK and i remember when I first heard Time is Running Out playing on the US radio, I was like excited haha cuz they were coming here. This is the first time I have to wait for an album from them, and wow it feels soooo long.
^but they are huge...They're not exactly unknown (especially in the UK, or maybe just devon ), they've been going fairly strong since Origin

Quote by metaldud536

yeah i am aware that they are in europe, but man the US are pretty lame for ignoring Showbiz, and in turn not even getting OoS until like last year. But it seems they are growing quite a fanbase here. and its great that probably it's not gonna be tooo hard to get tickets when they tour here.
Quote by oc325
yeah i am aware that they are in europe, but man the US are pretty lame for ignoring Showbiz, and in turn not even getting OoS until like last year. But it seems they are growing quite a fanbase here. and its great that probably it's not gonna be tooo hard to get tickets when they tour here.

you didn't get OoS til 05? jesus christ...!

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by oc325
but man the US are pretty lame for ignoring Showbiz

They were on a different label when they released Showbiz, that's why it's not in the US(yet).

In Kerrang this week

The World According To Matt Bellamy

My parents split up when i was 13.
The thing that shocked me the most about it was that I didnt feel anything. I couldn't feel gutted. I tried, but I couldn't. I found it a little disturbing about myself. Maybe playing music was my way of dealing with it.

Am I a millionnaire?
No, not quite. But thats what people often think. Most of the money we make we save to pay for more touring. And the website which costs us a ****ing fortune every month. Plus we've got a London office, with a couple of people working for us. Thats where our money goes.

Muse is my legacy
Being an atheist means you have to realise that when you die, that really is it. You've got to make the most of what youve got here and spread as much influence as you can. I believe that you only live through the influence that you spread, whether that means having a kid or making music.

I've had problems with stalkers
I had to change my mobile number and e-mail address because I was getting serious amounts of stuff, people writing to me saying they were going to kill themselves if I didnt **** them. I cant think of anything more unattractive than wanting to have sex with you because of who you are onstage.

I dont touch cocaine or heroin
Ive seen what those drugs do to people. I moved in with a drug dealer when I was 18. Our flat looked like a scene from Trainspotting, white powders and mirrors and tin foil everywhere. The effect those days had on me is that I dont do those kinds of drugs.

Theres whole sections of my life that I cant remember
Everything that was my life until I was about 20 is gone. Ive forgotten who I was before then. So Im trying to have things im going to remember in my life other than touring and making albums.

The point of taking magic mushrooms is to dig into your subconcious
To experience something thats not always on offer. Im not afraid of seeing something horrible. Its a way of connecting with yourself in a way that you cant normally do.

Im always disappointed with English rock music
Im still looking for something new, something really special from this country. At the moment im kinda lost in the world of mp3s, downloading all sorts of ****. I wonder if bands will even bother releasing albums in 10 years time.

People either love or hate muse
I guess it just means we're different. Offending people is better than no reaction at all. I do think we exercise musical freedom more than any other band at the moment. Theres a lack of shame in what we do which is probably what offends people.

And in another magazine(or something)
Looking forward to Reading And Leeds?
Yeah. It'll be quite nerve-wracking coming back after having not played for a while.

You're on after Arctic Monkeys. Are you a fan?
I saw them play in New York. They've got good lyrics and they're pretty cool. I met one of their mums. I think it was one of their mums. Came up to me in a bar and said, 'How's it going?'

How did you spot an Arctic mum?
She was pretty hot - surprisingly young!
actually Showbiz is released in the US, it was always available on Amazon, while OoS was available for import for awhile, until it was released just last year. of course I bought an import of OoS way before cuz I didn't even expect it to come out here. Muse toured in the US during Showbiz too, but they didn't really get much publicity.
Quote by Glen_Hansard

How did you spot an Arctic mum?
She was pretty hot - surprisingly young!

You know what I am thinking?
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
haha fun to spot this thread actually i am a hudge muse fan so i will be chekking out this forum more often.

some things i'dd like to say about muse are:
Showbiz is their greatest album with ofcourse absolution comming in on 2. and my favorite song would be the title song of my fav album which is showbiz.
and i am waiting the hell out to their new album i surely do
Quote by oc325

I bought my copy of 'Showbiz' in New York in 2000 (I pretty sure it was 2000 anyway). It was probably an import, but it was easily available from what I saw.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
finally bought showbiz today, woop woop woop

now i need to stop being lazy, and get a real copy of absolution

Quote by metaldud536

Yes, that's right folks, another interview for you all. This is translated from a French magazine.

Quote by MuseLive.com
Discussion In London
Rumour spoke of the 18th May, it will be the 3rd July. With Muse in the full swing of the album release, ROCKMAG meets the trio in their London studios and uncovers 6 world première tracks.

London, 3rd March. A taxi takes me to the west of the city, a stone?s throw away from Earl?s Court, to the Townhouse studios where Muse have decamped. In the middle of mixing, the group receives us in order to treat us to 6 fresh new titles. Having hardly got out of the taxi, I?m sat down in a living room, the crucial info: the album will be released on the 3rd July, and the as-yet-unknown single, the 19th June, its artwork and title will be chosen after the mixing, even if some ideas are still pie in the sky. What is certain, is that the extracts offered to us here in advance will feature on the album.

The interview which follows comprises three sessions of twenty minutes, with Chris Wolstenholme first, then Dominic Howard, and finally Matthew Bellamy, who is rather worn out after firemen arrived at his place at 0400 to deal with a torrent of water that was flooding the ground floor restaurant. After the experiences of Origin of Symmetry, recorded on the go, and of Absolution, more fiddly because it matured longer, the group has taken its time for the fourth album. Amongst Provençal vineyards and bats that haunted the studio by night, the sessions at Miraval allowed them to develop their initial ideas. The trio went over things, drank wine and? swatted hornets with badminton rackets. After a month, the urge to radically change their surroundings was felt, as Dom explains, ?In the end, our conversations at the table were all about the end of the world and post-apocalyptic survival, it wasn?t very healthy.? Muse jetted off to New York, on the home ground of their producer, Rich Costey.

?My dad?s music, which I?d never listened to before last year, really influenced me.? ? Matthew Bellamy

From Hendrix to Tornados

The recording took place in the Avatar studios and at the legendary Electric Lady, which the drummer remarked upon, ?Nothing has moved since Hendrix?s death. Even the pictures on the wall are the same. We wanted (pictures of) blues, Strats and Marshalls?? In New York, the trio experimented, recording in a goods-elevator, isolated the drums in a narrow nook and mixed guitars with synths. The lyrics, as always, are written by Matt, inspired by his trip to the Kingdom of Bhutan shortly before the recording, and by? ?50s music, ?It was an era of worldwide tension, of nuclear fear and of war. Today, we?ve come back to this feeling, like at the end of a cycle. There?s even been a rise in the interest in space. This theme, the connection between current tensions and those from long ago, can really be heard on the album. My dad?s music (in the ?60s, George Bellamy officiated in the heart of The Tornados, editor?s note) which I?d never listened to before last year ? before then, I?d found it uncool ? really influenced me.? Twenty tracks have been recorded, but, to this day, Chris doesn?t know which will be kept, ?Our problem is definitely in the last three or four (tracks). You can?t put them all on, an 18-track album, it?s too much. It?s better to limit them and keep the ten or eleven we prefer, and finally deciding once it?s all mixed. We?ll work it out after that. The clips, for example, which we more or less screwed up in the past. They don?t really fit, neither with our music, nor the themes of the corresponding album. This time, we would really like to make something decent, which we can look back on later and say to ourselves, ?Yeh, that one was good.? After the release, the tour. The festivals ? of which one is Eurockéennes in France ? have been announced, as well as a European tour in the Autumn and a date at the Boldeva Eden Project, the hall closest to Teignmouth, responding to a request from the local government in January. As Matt is telling his latest CD purchases (Dépêche Mode, Lightning Bolt and Arctic Monkeys) the fire alarm suddenly floods our ears. We evacuate the studio with the other guys. ?It?s the guys from Take That who are recording here as well,? the frontman tells me with an air of I-don?t-think-I?ve-seen-a-celeb.

The real end to the interview follows the false alarm, I found myself again in the hall, waiting for my taxi. Our photographer arrives for the afternoon session (she, too, will be interrupted by another alarm), Dominic returns from the kebab shop. In the corridor, we hear a seventh track being mixed, a falsetto Bellamy singing atop a mad piano, accompanied by epic violins. My taxi arrives, and I leave the studio in the sure knowledge that we?ve not yet reached the end of the surprises.

The Preview

Firstly, even more grandiloquent, researched and experimental than Absolution, the new album is becoming more impressive than its predecessors. ROCKMAG listened to six tracks before talking with the trio. (Here?s the) commentary:

Hex (4:47)
Chris Wolstenholme, ?Hex could be the opening track, we?ll see later. We wrote it at the end of the Absolution sessions, and it sounds similar (to Absolution tracks). It has evolved a lot since then, but it?s principle remains the same: a change of periodic agreements which are at the brink of exploding. Its structure is mathematical, the main idea being a formula with neither chorus nor verse. Dom?s never played like that, with very jazzy rhythms, slow ones, followed by more chaotic bits integrated into the whole.?

A Soldier?s Poem (2:12)
Dominic Howard, ?It?s about a soldier in prison, who feels abandoned by a country that?s falling apart. We didn?t know how to play it and, finally, we made into a melodramatic jazz style. It?s big and minimal at the same time. We were surprised to see that you can play jazz and make it sound good. We?ll probably keep it, because we?ll have a whale of a time with it.

Supermassive Black Hole (3:32)
Matthew Bellamy, ?It?s the most different to anything we?ve ever done. We?ve had some Belgian influences: Millionaire, dEUS, Evil Superstars, Soulwax? These groups were the first to mix R&B rhythms with alternative guitar. We?ve added a bit of Prince and Kanye West. The drumbeat isn?t rocky, with Rage Against The Machine riffs underneath. We?ve mixed a lot of things in this track, with a bit of electronica; it?s different, slow, quite funny??

Starlight (3:59)
Chris Wolstenholme, ?Starlight was written in the practice studio at the end of 2004. It was a simple idea, stemming from a piano impro (he hums, editor?s note)[Me: This is probably the improv they do after Citizen Erased. It's on the Glasto DVD I do believe]. We wanted to keep it as simple as possible, and that was very difficult to do. Starlight had to be spontaneous, unleashing an energy that was difficult to capture. It?s influenced by The Strokes, on a drumbeat and basic basslines. Its structure is simple, and its melodies catchy. There?s a pop element in each of our albums, a simple bit, very melodic, like Time Is Running Out on Absolution. Today, Starlight is that one.?

Invincible (5:20)
Matthew Bellamy, ?I wrote in the Great Lakes area. There was snow everywhere, we were holed up in a small town in the Twin Peaks. We had rented a boat to go fishing, the weather was horrible and we were all ill. Once in our pathetic motel, without TV or anything, I was bored stiff, and I wrote the beginning of the song. I don?t know if it came from the boat, the weather or the seasickness, but it was very optimistic. We recorded it at Miraval, in a total rage: we were annoyed that we hadn?t succeeded (in recording) Hex, and Invincible came all by itself. The recording is almost entirely live. In fact, the energy in the title is true: the performance of each represents its lyrics.?

Knights of Cydonia (5:50)
Dominic Howard, ?Matt was at the back of the bus in Arizona, repeating the jerky riff to death, outside we could see the desert rolling ? all that went very well together. Galloping horses, Texas, trumpets? We wanted to depict a journey, to make it sound like Joe Meek. We found the title recently. Cydonia is the name of the Martian site on which you can the face of Mars.?
The Small Print came on my PC about 10 minutes ago, great song. Anyway, nice info Glen.
Just downloaded the amazing Sunburn. Ooof, chills down my back. Love it.
From what I heard from Glen, Muses' no. 4 looks set to be amazing. Lets BLOODY WELL HOPE it is.
^ it is.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
I can't wait to hear Debase Masons Grog on the album. It's probably my favourite Muse song.
well this thread has reverted me back to muse. *goes and listens to the few muse tracks i have*
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
So far I only heard Stockholm Syndrome and I'm impressed.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
^ i know its great. But i dont like time is running out that much...
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman