I use a warm damp washcloth, then immediately wipe dry with a dry washcloth. I use a Q-tip to clean under my strings.
Strings: Rubbing Alcohol
Fretboard: Gibson Luthier's Choice Fretboard Conditioner
Finished body and neck: Gibson Luthier's Choice Hi Gloss Polish

Seriously, that stuff's great.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
I use a 100% cotton cloth to wipe down the entire body. You only want to put stuff on the fretboard annually at most.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by slashnmash
would regular furniture polish work?

I've never cleaned my guitar yet but I have heard that you should NEVER use normal (non guitar) stuff.
i use lemon oil and that stuff wich make it easier to slide but now just lemon oil since i lost the slidy stuff
ok well the first few posts are wrong.
no water. water and wood dont mix.
no alcohol, it cleans but drys out a guitar board.
no house furniture polish as it contains water.

for fretboards use dunlop lemon oil. or fretboard conditioner. 1-2 times a year.
maple fretboards are coated. so u use guitar polish on those.

for coated or "finished" painted parts. a guitar cloth (sold in stores) and guitar polish.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=polish
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Gibson Pump Polish for Guitars, Bajos and Mandolins.
Martin

Gibson 2004 LP Standard Limited Edition 60s Neck in Manhattan Midnight,
Fender 2005 American Stratocaster in Chrome Red with Maple Neck,
Squier Affinity P-Bass Metallic Blue,
Marshall DSL-401,
Fender Rumble 15.
^nope, i wouldnt use something called oil soap.
sound like it will dry out the board. put up a link for it if u want me to look at it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

wow there is some BAD advice on this thread! Holy **** guys what are u doing to your guitars!!!!!

- Lemon oil (can be bought @ any hardware store). Make sure it has no silicone or nething like that in it. Just lemon oil. Use that on the fretboard unless ur fretboard is made out of MAPLE (in which case all u need is a towel).

Apply a small ammount to your towel or whatever and run it along the strings. The lemon oil will break down the grease and grime.

- For the finish, any CAR WAX that is safe for clear coats will suffice. I recommend MeGuire brand.. u can even get stuff that buffs out small scratches while cleaning and protecting your guitar's finish.

Also, use microfiber cloths to buff your guitar's surface as regular cloths are too thick and will scratch your surface while you buff! I've heard of people using old t-shirts and regular dish cloths... not a good idea. GET MICROFIBER CLOTHES.
Oh f***........ I cleaned my guitar with ethyl alcohol... But only the finish! The fretboard wasn't touched at all. So a cloth is fine to clean my finish? And Lemon Oil for my guitar strings and fretboard.... Right?

But.... What the hell is Lemon Oil in italian!! I'll have to ask about it in a guitar shop.
Guitar polish for finish

pure lemon oil (nothing like cooking oil) on fretboard. (except maple)

keep strings clean.

and all these things can be bought in guitar store.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well i already mentioned that furniture polish contains water.

and i use a guitar cloth.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=420960
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Whoever mentioned rubbing alcohol for strings is correct. But you have to take them off the guitar first. So take the strings off, rub with alcohol and then put in the oven for a few mins to dry them out. Alternatively you can just soak in water but you must dry them quickly in a hot oven so they don't rust.
Quote by hothedgehog
Whoever mentioned rubbing alcohol for strings is correct. But you have to take them off the guitar first. So take the strings off, rub with alcohol and then put in the oven for a few mins to dry them out. Alternatively you can just soak in water but you must dry them quickly in a hot oven so they don't rust.

Or you could wash your hands before you play and wipe down your strings with a cotton cloth (or microfiber, I suppose. I use a $2 Wal-Mart bandana. 100% cotton and no loose fibers). I've never tried the above method but if you're strings are so bad that you need to wipe them down with alcohol, it's time for a new set of strings. I hope you're joking, hothedgehog.

I don't have any experience with polish because I have a faded finish guitar. I really don't see a reason to use polish other than cosmetics anyway (correct me if I'm wrong here).

fsb_ben: What's wrong with old t-shirts? If they are 100% cotton and don't drop lint/fibers all over they work rather well.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I've heard of people that have used cloths/tshirts that were not fine enough and it ended up scratching the finish of the guitar as they were buffing it! I dont think its the issue of loose fibers but rather the fibers aren't really thin so u run the risk of scratching up your surface while you try to clean.

I never risked it so i just bought 5 microfiber cloths from my local Canadian Tire for $10 :-P They're SOOOOOOO cheap and worth the investment. Nothing but microfiber touches my guitars :-P

And apparently, microfiber cloths can be used to wash your face too haha the microfibers pick up more dirt n stuff than regular towels. Can be used to safely buff your car finish as well.

I've heard that if you use microfiber steel wool to clean ur fretboard, it shouldnt scratch either. But i've felt the stuff and it feels kinda abrasive.. i guess its only supposed to be used to clean the metal.

OH and one last thing. When cleaning your fretboard, clean with the grain of the wood not against it.
I picked up 3M microfiber cloths at Walmart for about $2.50 in their eyecare department. I use the same cloth on my high-end digital camera lens, so I'm sure it's good enough for my guitar.
it says right on murphy's oil soap that it removes wax and shouldnt be used on unfinished wood.

i wouldnt use it at all, but if u do then u should oil ur board aftwards.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I useGHS Fast Fret guitar polish for the fret board which brings all the life back into the wood making it dark and shiny. For the body there are loads of products available - I've even used T-Cut car polish to remove minor scratches which seemed to work fine