Page 3 of 13
Oh well, ignore them, it's generally know amongst fans as 'schmapp'n schmazz' as the burritos title is about twenty words long.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic

"Burritos, inspiration point, fork balloon sports, cards in the spokes, automatic biographies, kites, kung fu, trophies, bannana peels we've slipped on and egg shells we've tippy toed over"

Craziness
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Because that way, our ears don't bleed.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Yea Senses Fail is too cliche ridden and hackneyed to be essential considering he screams just so he can wake me up, for I have fallen asleep due to the boring and possibly pshychotic lyics. Seriously how many depression/pain killers/tranqs is that guy on?
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Quote by Leftover_Crack
Husker Du's album Zen Arcade pretty much laid down the foundations for what Embrace and Rites Of Spring we're going to do a bit later and I think we can all recall what happened after that.

andrewbiles is pretty much correct, emo is more of the lyrical styling of a hardcore band and the term emo was commonly used as a put-down to kids who listen to indian summer and other bands, it wasn't even a genre at first. A bunch of the first emo bands didn't even consider themselves emo, they all thought they we're hardcore punk. But nowadays with all the emo/screamo bands about, you can discern the exact styling alot easier and the characteristics are more notable since we have all the bands we do now.

Neh. I don't think you can say Zen Arcade was definitive of Rites of Spring sound. Most of the big bands on SST had a large effect on hardcore as a scene. Husker Du specifically added alot of indie rock elements from those bands that were popular at the time. I dunno, to say Emo is a direct derivative of Zen Arcade is extremely odd to me. You might as well include Minor Threat's Discography on there as well as countless other hardcore/post-punk classics. (Damaged,Closer,ETC.)
Quote by buried_a_lie
how can u forget about senses fail.....

I had to get surgery to help me forget
Quote by pixiesfanyo
Neh. I don't think you can say Zen Arcade was definitive of Rites of Spring sound. Most of the big bands on SST had a large effect on hardcore as a scene. Husker Du specifically added alot of indie rock elements from those bands that were popular at the time. I dunno, to say Emo is a direct derivative of Zen Arcade is extremely odd to me. You might as well include Minor Threat's Discography on there as well as countless other hardcore/post-punk classics. (Damaged,Closer,ETC.)

I said it was the definitive sound? Where? It established alot of the sounds (in other words; laid the foundations) rites of spring used later on. Please don't twist my words and treat it like I said it was the first emo album or something.
Last edited by Leftover_Crack at Feb 26, 2006,
Ok, in no way am I trying to put down "Emo" or anything but I just dont understand the attraction to it..........I see it as something that will fade out along with 95% of most new music and will never be viewed as a "great musical genre." To me it is like a crappy rap song that is number 1 on the charts for a month and then is never heard again and is in no way even comparable to any other genre..........could someone seriously explain the attraction?
Quote by 9mmpainpill
Ok, in no way am I trying to put down "Emo" or anything but I just dont understand the attraction to it..........I see it as something that will fade out along with 95% of most new music and will never be viewed as a "great musical genre." To me it is like a crappy rap song that is number 1 on the charts for a month and then is never heard again and is in no way even comparable to any other genre..........could someone seriously explain the attraction?

You mightn't like the music nowadays but the stuff from back in the 90's really made an impact.

Check some of those out
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Quote by Leftover_Crack
I said it was the definitive sound? Where? It established alot of the sounds (in other words; laid the foundations) rites of spring used later on. Please don't twist my words and treat it like I said it was the first emo album or something.

Way to not even respond to my argument and just criticize me of twisting words.
Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head should be on that there Emo Essentials list. Chris Martin's voice breaks sometimes and his lyrics are emotional.

On a side note, I hear from someone that Chris Martin wrote it about the affair he had with Michelle Nolan's boyfriend.
^Nope

Quote by pixiesfanyo
Way to not even respond to my argument and just criticize me of twisting words.

Please explain how Zen Arcade didn't influence Rites Of Spring at all. Another thing with your post that says you're getting emo mixed with post-hardcore/post-punk is kind of redundant seeing as emo is basically post hardcore.
But the bassist from Embrace has the same first name as the singer of Coldplay, so the musical links are there!

How can you say a band so related to one of the forefathers of this curse we call emo isn't emo!?
Close but not.
Post-hardcore relies more on tension, building up, and push an pull feel to songs.
They retain more voice control.
Plus there is more singing in post-hardcore.
Singing is rare in emo.
Very rare.
Even if there is, it is only brief.
Emo, the voice is more out of control.
There's more of a structure to post-hardcore.
(Chorus, verse, verse, breakdown/bridge/interlude)
Emo doesn't really have choruses or anything like that.
Just a massive build up of tension and a release of emotion or just the straight out screaming.
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
No.
Grindcore bases itself between new-hardcore and death-metal.
Its alot more techincal.
Has alot of the screaching chords
And a lot of blast beats.

Listen to Ed Gein or As the Sun Sets for grindcore.

The vocals are often indesipherable as well.
Quote by J Lock
Close but not.
Post-hardcore relies more on tension, building up, and push an pull feel to songs.
Singing is rare in emo.
Very rare.
Just a massive build up of tension and a release of emotion or just the straight out screaming.

Fair enough, but what about Trophy Scars? Im just curious because on pretty much every other site they're considered emo, but by that definiton they're a post hardcore band.
Damnit.
You brought the one band that flirts with both very well.

I throw 'em into post-hardcore mainly, but if you called 'em emo I wouldn't object.
im pretty sure there have been powerviolence bands named.
*looks at la quiete*

hmm, i guess envy's "dead sinking story" could fit in.

im all about name dropping so that the disadvantaged kids have some sweet bands to listen to.
If only they actually did instead of just name dropping.
Good thread. I've actually been listening to a lot of Texas is the Reason lately, so I think I;ll use this thread to yoink a few similar albums frmo the 90s sort of era. We needed a proper timeline thread, Andrew, so nice one for grabbing the bull by the horns. I mean, the 'What the Heck is emo?' thread is good, but I think this one just provides a few albums people might like.
...and while we are on the topic lets all stop and say thankyou to Andrew for the skies and all the cattle on our farms.

amen.
Quote by another_vandal
um...

*nods head like i understand*

You know.
The kids that don't ever actually listen to any of the music that's mentioned.
They just pick up the name and then drop it whenever possible.
transistor transistor - self titled..(LP. 32)
wolves - art.culture.work
off minor - the heat death of the universe/problematic courtship

orchid?
Quote by J Lock
No.
Grindcore bases itself between new-hardcore and death-metal.
Its alot more techincal.
Has alot of the screaching chords
And a lot of blast beats.

Listen to Ed Gein or As the Sun Sets for grindcore.

The vocals are often indesipherable as well.

Or you could say it's a balance of hardcore and grind, as the name suggests.

I think andrew should just make a EMO/SCREAMO thread and let us have it for our stuff. Thus giving a place for us to talk and such.
Quote by Leftover_Crack
^Nope

Please explain how Zen Arcade didn't influence Rites Of Spring at all. Another thing with your post that says you're getting emo mixed with post-hardcore/post-punk is kind of redundant seeing as emo is basically post hardcore.

It did. But Zen Arcade influenced the entire hardcore scene. It's like saying the Beatles are a derivitive of somebody like Modest Mouse. Yes, of course they are.. they're the big rock'n roll band, but it's kind of pointless to say since you can only draw a tiny bit of relation between the two bands.
Quote by J Lock
Close but not.
Singing is rare in emo.
Very rare.

Basically.. emo is centered around chaotic music with very loose structure, post-hardcore is very controlled chaos. centered on flirting with the line between loose structure and extremely tight structure. most of the new post-hardcore bands (My Disco for example) are very math-rock sounding, but some of the old ones like fugazi or drive like jehu messed around with sound alot. post-hardcore is just a pain in the ass to describe because it represent such a vastness of artists.
Quote by pixiesfanyo
It did. But Zen Arcade influenced the entire hardcore scene. It's like saying the Beatles are a derivitive of somebody like Modest Mouse. Yes, of course they are.. they're the big rock'n roll band, but it's kind of pointless to say since you can only draw a tiny bit of relation between the two bands.

So since it influenced the entire hardcore scene, how didn't it influence emo? Last time I checked emo was part of the hardcore scene...hence the emotional hardcore..
Quote by Leftover_Crack
So since it influenced the entire hardcore scene, how didn't it influence emo? Last time I checked emo was part of the hardcore scene...hence the emotional hardcore..

Yeah, exactly. But like I said, The Beatles have infulenced every rock and roll band. But, just because they have doesn't mean you cite them as one of the main infulences.
i was just listening to this and remembered.

comm. venus - "do you feel at home?" '95 (saddle creek records)

or maybe this one. i personally think "do you feel at home?" but this one has had more media attention in the past even though it has been very minimal.

comm. venus - "the uneventful vacation" '97 (saddle creek records)
Last edited by another_vandal at Mar 6, 2006,
I've screwed things up with a friend big time and I don't think I'll get to talk to her again. What song can I listen to during this time?
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
**** emo.

heh it's fun ****ing with you sad lil' kids...

us > you
our music > your music
our penis' > your "penis"
our usernames > your username
our dmusic > your dmusic
LOL@U

need i say more.