Poll: what's the best way to hold a pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: what's the best way to hold a pick?
thumb-index
129 83%
thumb-index-middle
21 14%
thumb-index-middle-ring
1 1%
thumb-middle-ring
1 1%
other
3 2%
Voters: 155.
Page 1 of 3
mr. cool
welcometothefray
2,147 IQ
so i did a search and turned up nothing so i figure i would post a thread of my own

for shred (or hell general playing cause it should be the same right)

what is the best way to hold a pick?

and i ask because i used to do it thumb-index-middle but a lot of articles said to play with just thumb-index. now i started to question that because my pick is always turning sideways and even more curious is that i saw g3 and vai and satch both played thumb-index-middle and petrucci picked thumb-index-middle-ring on top of middle

so now that i have developed both styles of playing...

i was wondering (aside from personal preference because both are plenty comfortable) what is the best way to hold a pick?
Freddedonna
has licked your screen
530 IQ
I think the right way is the way you're confortable.
Vindication
Banned
232 IQ
Whichever way is comfortable and fsat for you.

It really all depends...the thumb-index way is kind of the traditional way, but like you mentioned, many people hold the pick differently.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by Freddedonna
I think the right way is the way you're confortable.

yes
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by mr. cool
vai and satch both played thumb-index-middle and petrucci picked thumb-index-middle-ring on top of middle

Wha..? Are you talking about anchoring their fingers on the body of the guitar? Because Vai and Petrucci both use their index + thumb only. Their middle fingers may come over their index fingers or something like that, but the pick is held between their index + thumb only.

Here's Steve Morse, who holds the pick with his thumb, index and middle:

And Petrucci (ok ok, he's not picking very fast here, but watch a live DVD, he only picks with index and thumb):

As for which one is best? I'm not too sure about that. It's not a great idea to go with whichever is more comfortable, while it can work well, there may be other ways that work better. I'd wait for someone more experienced with this kind of question to chime in (coughfreepowercough).
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Last edited by SnowballofDoom at Feb 21, 2006,
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
I think the motion that you pick with is more important then how many fingers you use to hold the pick.

I could be wrong though =)
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
As long as you don't use more than two fingers.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
and as long as your comfortable

people forgot to mention Van Halen
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
As long as you don't use more than two fingers.

What do you mean? Why is it bad to use more than two fingers?
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Well unless you have a gigantic pick I dont think its really even possible without having your hand in some really unpractical position...
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
I use Ibanez's Gilbert picks and I can hold it with my thumb, index and middle finger easily.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
I've got on of the Steve Vai ones and I can't figure how you could possibly hold it with 3 ... guess I'm accustomed to thumb+index....

though other than, it limits what you can do with hybrid picking and switching to tapping quickly
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by seljer
I've got on of the Steve Vai ones and I can't figure how you could possibly hold it with 3 ... guess I'm accustomed to thumb+index....

though other than, it limits what you can do with hybrid picking and switching to tapping quickly

I can do tapping that way pretty easily, but I guess you're right about the hybrid picking.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ

As for which one is best? I'm not too sure about that. It's not a great idea to go with whichever is more comfortable, while it can work well, there may be other ways that work better. I'd wait for someone more experienced with this kind of question to chime in (coughfreepowercough).

Lol, i spotted this thread but wanted to see what people thought.

Personally, i can see the advantages to almost all methods of picking...i personally hold index pad and thumb pad. Resi, you're index side and thumb pad, right?

Pretty uncomplicated methods.

I know someone uses middle and thumb, he doesnt seem to suffer from it - and i just showed him how to do classical style harmonics, so im sure he'll get something out of it even if his actual "picking technique" suffers.

Er, aside from that, i suppose one must mention that comfortable means loose as well - i can hold my pick with almost 0 tension, which is nice. I guess thats why resi says one finger? Im curious...

Anyway, certain picking styles would be near impossible with different grips. Lane's would be impossible for someone planning to angle and pick like Guthrie, and vice versa (or it would be almost ridiculous to try and do guthrie's style with Lane's grip, your elbow would be almost vertically above your guitar...).

I personally think its a matter of experimentation. Sometimes you need response, other times easy PHs, other times raw staccato speed...
paddyo
?
340 IQ
^Dont you ever get tired of people waiting for your "essay" answers which ends all debate? I know I would
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Stratwizard
What do you mean? Why is it bad to use more than two fingers?

Well it's pretty logical... It adds tension and to name something it takes away ease of tapping with middle finger if you use your middle finger as well... Not to mention hybrid picking... Etc...

It's always detrimental to hold it with more than one finger imo.

And yesh fp, yesh I am.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Last edited by Resiliance at Feb 21, 2006,
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Well, okay... I tried picking with using just two fingers and it wasn't more difficult than what I've used to do, so I might use that way as well.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Pad of thumb, side of index finger. Works for me.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Caressing Death
Virtuoso in training
1,176 IQ
I go for index and thumb.
Off the topic, those Paul Gilbert picks don't look so comfortable to play with, are they?
I'm considering buying a pack and making them my official pick off choice, solely because of Paul Gilbert name on it because I'm so easy to be won over by the media.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
I use the pad of my thumb and the side of my index finger. I started using my thumb, middle and index finger, then I played with the pad of my thumb and the pad of my index finger, then I started playing with the pad of my thumb and the side of my index finger, then I started playing with the pad of my thumb and index finger again and now I'm back to using the pad of my thumb and side of my index finger...
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
mr. cool
welcometothefray
2,147 IQ
i found that the playing thumb-side of index added a great deal of distortion noise to my playing almost like an extremely distorted wah on every pick
Freepower
3,277 IQ
Quote by paddyo
^Dont you ever get tired of people waiting for your "essay" answers which ends all debate? I know I would

Lol, im just flattered someone cares. I know none of my guitar pupils are interested in that level of detail. And really most of what i say is just obvious but needs to be said.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Caressing Death
I go for index and thumb.
Off the topic, those Paul Gilbert picks don't look so comfortable to play with, are they?
I'm considering buying a pack and making them my official pick off choice, solely because of Paul Gilbert name on it because I'm so easy to be won over by the media.

They're the best picks I've played with. I can get a nice tone with them, and they're accurate too.
wynter
UG AfroMulletHead
22 IQ
I hold a pick between the side of the tip of my index finger and the tip of my thumb.
http://ilikeshred.dmusic.com

Originally posted by blink_x41
d0oDd, gUrLs d0Nt lIk3 bOiS, gUrLs lIk3 cArS aNd m0N3y$$!!!!!!!11111L0L!!!!11111º1"·ª!"hArDc0r3
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

It's always detrimental to hold it with more than one finger imo.

hahahaha
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Aziraphale
Blaster of Muppets
829 IQ
I tend to use my thumb and side of index finger, I usually angle the pick Paul Gilbert style. When I tried holding it this way at first, it seemed pretty stupid cuz I couldn't get up to any speed or accuracy with it. The thing was, I was using Fender Medium picks. Now I use Fender Extra Heavy picks, and now this picking style works great. I play a whole lot faster and more accurately now.
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP
224 IQ
Quote by mr. cool
i found that the playing thumb-side of index added a great deal of distortion noise to my playing almost like an extremely distorted wah on every pick

Are you doing pinch harmonics?

Personally I do thumb pad side of index. I've always played like that besides some moments I practised different picking styles or pushed it in a different angle to change tone . With more than two fingers I'm not picking well at all. Resi's one finger... hey thumb is no finger blah hehe forget it... Then it's possible to pick with 0 fingers aswell for some old school blues .
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Read it in context you bunch of anal retentives, ofcourse the thumb is a finger, but it's obvious I'm on about fingers on the other side of the pick, who doesn't use his thumb when holding it?

Click.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
I've been holding it between my thumb and index finger with my thumb bent back in an L shape lately.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Tom Martin
Busy busy busy
1,157 IQ
Well it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

Think about it this way, one of the greatest guitar players of all time - EVH - played with his thumb and middle finger.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Yea but to get really fast picking with minimal tension, you should probably hold between the thumb and index.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Tom Martin
Busy busy busy
1,157 IQ
Blah, to be honest none of it matters that much. People say you shouldn't anchor either, but look at some of the fastest players in the world - Fareri, Batio, and more which don't immediately spring to mind - they all anchor! Having a flawless technique does help, but its not the end of the world if you do something slightly wrong.

Don't worry, I do agree with you though, I've always help my pick between thumb and index, I've always found it much easier.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Yea you can still go fast and all with anchoring, but if you don't it's easier.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
And less harmful for you, Steve Morse for example.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Tom Martin
Blah, to be honest none of it matters that much. People say you shouldn't anchor either, but look at some of the fastest players in the world - Fareri, Batio, and more which don't immediately spring to mind - they all anchor!

Stop using that tu quoque logical fallacy already, I expected better from you, once again.

Click.
Freepower
3,277 IQ
Quote by Tom Martin
Blah, to be honest none of it matters that much. People say you shouldn't anchor either, but look at some of the fastest players in the world - Fareri, Batio, and more which don't immediately spring to mind - they all anchor! Having a flawless technique does help, but its not the end of the world if you do something slightly wrong.

I'd agree with the last sentance.

But seriously, fareri has awful picking technique, as a lot of the "fastest" players in the world do. Tiago has even worse. If you heard either without their masking tone you'd be deaf in a few seconds...

Anchoring is not the be all and end all of picking, nor is it even the most important thing out of the multitude of factors - but to treat it as generally irrelevant just isn't on. If you don't care, great - some people do.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,043 IQ
thump,index and middle.

it's more comfortable and lets complex parts easy.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
C.C. Deville
McMammaries
2,702 IQ
eddie van halen uses his thumb and middle finger because he taps with his index finger, that just feels wierd to me
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.