Page 1 of 2
mojorisin58
123 IQ
hey ok i havent found any threads really dedicated to Mojo Risin' so i thought it would be good to make a thread dedicated to Jim and all the other poets in Rock and roll History, so heres a place to just talk about jim his poetry and others like dylan, young, so forth
If the doors of perception were cleansed all things would appear as they truly are.....infinite...
mojorisin58
123 IQ
Jim is the reason i started writing
If the doors of perception were cleansed all things would appear as they truly are.....infinite...
igotabcrich32
Is Dan
1,431 IQ
Jim is awesoem and a great poet, i really like An American Prayer.

and Mojo, you should share some of your written stuff.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
Jim is one of the greatest songwriters ever. Personally I think Bob Dylan is better. And for comic relief, Frank Zappa can not be overlooked.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
Unreal Songwriter. Love his stuff....I don't have An American Prayer however, though I'm extremely interested in getting it soon.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
Messer
Drunk Naked Master of All
133 IQ
I love The Doors. They are one of my all-time favorite bands. Jim was an amazing poet and song writter. He is one of the main reasons I started writting poetry and songs. He has had a huge influence on me. The stuff he writes is unreal. One of the best poet/song writters ever. I love him.
"When I was just a baby, my mama told me, "Son,
Always be a good boy; don't ever play with guns."
But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry." - Johhny Cash, Folsom Prison Blues
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer
1,432 IQ
Honestly, i think Morrison is the most over-rated writer next to Gerard Way.

None of his stuff has ever really impressed me at all.

any suggestions to change my mind?
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
ledhead73
Defender of Good Music
14 IQ
Personally I think that Morrison was just a drunken dolt. But I can't really argue with that fact that so many people like his work, I guess I just never got it. I guess what I didn't like about him was the fact that I thought he was a total spaced out idiot, yet he acted like he was this great poet, such a noble being. What a crock of sh*t. That of course is only my opinion.
I also hate Bob Dylan, but I do think he is a great lyricist. He is a terrible singer, but I have yet to hear better lyrics from anyone else in rock music. Got to love Zappa as well. I am watching out where the huskies go, believe me.
I am Zosoian II, Archbishop of Bron-Yr-Aur, and Cardinal of Zeppelinism.

PM TheHeartbreaker to join Zeppelinism.

Long Live the Hammer of the Gods!
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer
1,432 IQ
Quote by ledhead73
Personally I think that Morrison was just a drunken dolt. But I can't really argue with that fact that so many people like his work, I guess I just never got it. I guess what I didn't like about him was the fact that I thought he was a total spaced out idiot, yet he acted like he was this great poet, such a noble being.

to that.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
Honestly, i think Morrison is the most ove -writer next to Gerard Way.

Off topic,but MCR doesn't write there own songs.

EDIT:I can't quote right.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
^who writes them?

i am not an enormous morrison lyrical fan (or ppl who share the root of his last name, i like morrissey more) but the doors are a very unique and excellent band.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
The Doors are one of my favorite bands, and while I respect Morrison as a songwriter, I try not to let his lyrics overshadow the talent of the other band members. I do listen and try and understand what, if anything, Morrison is saying, but Morrison isn't the reason I like The Doors; I like them because of everyone from the band - Jim Morrison, Robby Krieger, John Densmore, and Ray Manzarek - and what they contribute to the music they make.

Also, to stay more on topic, while I do still believe Jim is a great songwriter, I do feel as though there are better, and they have been given their respect so far in this thread, such as Bob Dylan.
KingBrendan5149
Banned
910 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
The Doors are one of my favorite bands, and while I respect Morrison as a songwriter, I try not to let his lyrics overshadow the talent of the other band members. I do listen and try and understand what, if anything, Morrison is saying, but Morrison isn't the reason I like The Doors; I like them because of everyone from the band - Jim Morrison, Robby Krieger, John Densmore, and Ray Manzarek - and what they contribute to the music they make.

Also, to stay more on topic, while I do still believe Jim is a great songwriter, I do feel as though there are better, and they have been given their respect so far in this thread, such as Bob Dylan.

mojorisin58
123 IQ
Personally i think Dylan is highly overrated, Zappa I think is a complete fool, and shouldn't even be put in the category as a poet, i think the reason some people dont enjoy jims writing is because they are too closed minded to understand the deeper meaning behind his words
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
Yeah. many people don't understand. In fact the majority doesn't.
How many of you people know you're alive?
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
Yeah. many people don't understand. In fact the majority doesn't.
Messer
133 IQ
^^^But when you do understand, you get the full meaning behind his lyrics and poems. I'm just glad I can understand them. But like you said a majority of the people can't understand them.
When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry." - Johhny Cash, Folsom Prison Blues
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
You'd be surprised how many people understand.
Messer
133 IQ
Have you ever read his book?
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
i've read the poems of "An American Prayer".
Messer
133 IQ
Did you like those?
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
Hell ya, I especially like The Movies.
Messer
133 IQ
Right the f**k on man. One of my favorite, too.

What do you think about Dylan's stuff, man?
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
Dylan's not bad. I don't know enough of his stuff to say much but what I've heard I've liked. He would fall behind in my list of favourite musicians. He's not bad though
Messer
133 IQ
What did you think about him lyric wis, tho?
deadhead313313
UG's Official Deadhead
333 IQ
Well, ok, lets get this straight. I appriciate and respect The Doors for what they;ve done. Now that thats out of the way, I'll say this: Jim was alright.

Don't get me wrong, Jim Morrison had talent, no doubt. I just think he relied alot of "chemials" to help aid some of his creativity. And some of his stuff was just a little too out there for me sometimes. I'm sure a hardcore Doors fan can prove me wrong on the chemical thing, but I don't want to get into an arguement here, and I'm just stating my opinion.

As for Dylan and Young, those guys were a little more down to earth, and I appriciate thier work far more than Morrison's
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
Dylan lyric wise is ok. It seems insighted. Now to the post ahead of mine. Jim did not necissarily rely on drugs for his creative mind. He did do them an aweful lot and spent most of his time before forming the doors spaced out on acid and writing poetry. Although i can't think of anything at the moment to change your mind all I can say to your statement is. not really. When in begin to think again maybe I'll write why.
Messer
133 IQ
^^That's what a lot of people say but for some odd reason The Door's stuff just speaks to me better then theirs. Jim's poems/lyrics just relate to me better for some weird reason.
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
I know what you mean. his Poetry is amazing(by poetry I mean Lyrics)
Messer
133 IQ
Yes, they are.
ZoSoII_13
The music elitest
347 IQ
I personally think that Neil Young is in the same tier as Dylan and Morrison, placing ahead of Morrison and about the same as Dylan. Also, Neil is such a down to earth person, and as my friend who is related to him has stated, spending time with him, he's just an ordinary shy person who just happens to have exceptional musical talent.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Sherman901
UG Senior Member
320 IQ
Quote by mojorisin58
hey ok i havent found any threads really dedicated to Mojo Risin' so i thought it would be good to make a thread dedicated to Jim and all the other poets in Rock and roll History, so heres a place to just talk about jim his poetry and others like dylan, young, so forth

In my opinion, I think Morrison is a bit overrated. I can't find anything that compares to Bob Dylan's poetry and lyrical mastery in any Doors songs. To me he was just a really drunk celebrity that died early. I hate seeing shirts that say 'American Poet'. I don't understand how he gets more attention than Bob Dylan. Not alot of people have heard much Dylan in my school and it frusterates me because Dylan has really important things to say and they transcend through the generations which is amazing.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Mr. Mojo Risin
10 IQ
I agree that Dylan is better, but Morrison is my second favorite when it comes to lyrics. My favorite lyrics are The Severed Garden. I don't understand why new bands can't write like this, most lyrics for new songs are so weak.
Messer
133 IQ
That's true. There are some bands out there that have some decent lyrics. The Vines and Stone Sour, IMO, have some decent lyrics. But they are nowhere as near as good as Morrison's and Dylan's.

I have another question. The other day my buddy and I were talking and he was trying to make a point that Kurt Cobain's lyrics were as good, if not better then guys like Morrison and Dylan. Now I'm a big Nirvana fan and I told, no that they weren't, even though some of his stuff was pretty good. Do you guys think is stuff was anywhere compariable to the greats like these guys?
mojorisin58
123 IQ
alright i think it was a bad idea for me to even bring up morrison and dylan in the same thread because of the fact that they are both such different styles, jim is more out there and tends to step over the bounds of reality, bob is more everyday situtations put into poetry and music, now if your going to say you havent seen any good jim stuff then you obviously have only listened to his music he is also a poet and has out two or three poetry books that is what you should read
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
That was a good explaination between Dylan and Morrison.
keefo
a man of wealth and taste
154 IQ
The doors were a great band, better than great but I don?t see Morrison as a poet, its nonsensical drug induced rambling from what I can hear not that there is anything wrong with that, but it was the doors that were great not just Morrison
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
most people tend to like dylan and young more than Morrison cause they're more related to things everyone can understand. Morrison did more 'higher things' and some people can't understand them, it seems.