Page 1 of 8
ac_indie
pawchikepawpaw
400 IQ
I was scanning through the forums and had this idea to start a thread about my favorite band, The Killers. They're new and they're totally amazing! [For all those who don't have the tiniest idea on who they are or unfortunately have not heard of their songs, I highly reccomend them.] Their kind of a mix between modern rock and '80s synth and I tell you the result is fantastic! So feel free to comment on them, praise them, insult them whatever. Your replies will be greatly appreciated [except if their disturbing, then you'll just get banned for that].

So peace to you all and more power!
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
I like indie rock but... I just don't like them. Oh well!
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
im_atheist
UG's Ibanez Expert
2,214 IQ
they got their name from the Iron Maiden album "The Killers" and Steve Harris helped produce them.... not many people know that
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
samlynch
UG Board King
673 IQ
I like them, their not really 'guitar' music though
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Pure_Morning
Boo
369 IQ
Quote by im_atheist
they got their name from the Iron Maiden album "The Killers" and Steve Harris helped produce them.... not many people know that

No, they got it from a New Order video

The Killers are one of my favourite bands but I have to admit they aren't that original soundwise, but Dave Keuning is a great guitarist.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
thegenerator
UG P90 Elitist
43 IQ
I hate how these modern pop/synth/new-wave bands like the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and most of the new British scene (Editors, Departure etc.) are classed as so independent.

Wow, they're so amazing! They're also cut/pasting Joy Division and The Cure.
My Rig

2004 Fender '72 Custom Telecaster reissue
2006 Cole Clark Fat Lady 1 Acoustic

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
rogue.orchid
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by thegenerator
I hate how these modern pop/synth/new-wave bands like the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and most of the new British scene (Editors, Departure etc.) are classed as so independent.

Wow, they're so amazing! They're also cut/pasting Joy Division and The Cure.

i think the goal is to take one idea and add another level on top of it.... if you listen closely enough to full albums you should realise that bands dont directly rip off another....

oh wait you must be one of the "post-2000 music is so 'un-cool' and im not even going to try to like it" classic rock dudes...
jallas
dying is fine
1,802 IQ
they're not that new are they? been around at least one year, 'cause I remember seeing them on the OC

*cough*

but anyway, IMO the album is listenable... but grows thin after a few listens. I'tsnot the kinda thing I can lsiten to over and over and over, but one or two songs every so often is good.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Zevious Zoquis
23 IQ
Can't say I like them much at all really. I saw them on ACL (think that's where it was anyway) and didn't think they were particularly interesting. The singer has some pretty annoying mannerisms too...
IsThereLoveInSp
A Monday Morning Lunatic
1,839 IQ
Theyre pretty fun live
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
rogue.orchid
Banned
10 IQ
there the singer does weird things like tap his breast with his hand while singing "gotta gotta be down..."
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
1,563 IQ
Quote by ac_indie
[For all those who don't have the tiniest idea on who they are or unfortunately have not heard of their songs, I highly reccomend them.]

Thats absolutely nobody. I think The Killers are one of those bands that over the last year and a half absoluetly everybody has heard.

I've got the album, and it's alright. The singles are good, but as somebody said the other songs do seem to wear thin rather quickly.

Mr Brightside is great though.
JET116
1,410 IQ
fun band but not indie...they were all over MTV. they have a huge label...theyre actually pretty old....
thegenerator
UG P90 Elitist
43 IQ
Quote by rogue.orchid
i think the goal is to take one idea and add another level on top of it.... if you listen closely enough to full albums you should realise that bands dont directly rip off another....

oh wait you must be one of the "post-2000 music is so 'un-cool' and im not even going to try to like it" classic rock dudes...

1. There's hardly any ideas being put on top of the bands The Editors take from, for example. It's carbon-copying with a different vocalist; same reverb-soaked guitar, Fender P-bass and two-sticks-on-the-hat drums.

2. No, 90% of the music I own is from post-2000. There's a difference between good modern music and directly copying the 70s/80s/whoever's in vogue.

New wave was crap the first time, let it die already.
My Rig

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
terrencemaddox
UG Fanatic
174 IQ
Quote by samlynch
I like them, their not really 'guitar' music though

It depends on what you mean by "guitar music." Its not all about the guitar but there is some excellent playing going on.
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
They suck. They're just a bad New Order rehash.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

angelicus
heil to me, yes.
111 IQ
I don't really listen to much indie music, but 'the killers hot fuss' album is quality. ''Somebody told me'' got me for weeks.
heil to the 'angel'
O RLY!!11. w00t! Ponce.
fiona23
Anyone Can Play Guitar...
10 IQ
theyre not new at all, i used to like em ages ago but after mr brightside got famous and i heard it about 10000000X i got bored and realised the rest of the album is pretty much the same, havent listened to them for ages though, i may like them all over again
"I'm not afraid of computers taking over. They're just sitting there. I can hit them with a two by four"

-Thom Yorke

member #2 of the radiohead fan club PM draken to join.
tezhall
This one goes to eleven..
669 IQ
Everything....will be alright, everything....will be alright....

Used to really like the Killers till some cowbag gave them horrific mental associations. I gave it away to work to use as hold music.
rogue.orchid
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by thegenerator
1. There's hardly any ideas being put on top of the bands The Editors take from, for example. It's carbon-copying with a different vocalist; same reverb-soaked guitar, Fender P-bass and two-sticks-on-the-hat drums.

2. No, 90% of the music I own is from post-2000. There's a difference between good modern music and directly copying the 70s/80s/whoever's in vogue.

New wave was crap the first time, let it die already.

ok then, what of your post-2000 cds do you own that are completely original (barr Radiohead)
ac_indie
pawchikepawpaw
400 IQ
Quote by Abe
Thats absolutely nobody. I think The Killers are one of those bands that over the last year and a half absoluetly everybody has heard.

I've got the album, and it's alright. The singles are good, but as somebody said the other songs do seem to wear thin rather quickly.

Mr Brightside is great though.

Yeah well where i'm from only 1/100000000 of the population has heard of them. Not a really BIG number
tezhall
669 IQ
A bloke in the pub last night said to me....have you heard that new song....I got soul but I'm not a soldier....

I told him yeah, about 2 years ago when I got the album. He was gutted
Burpin'Worm
773 IQ
I got the album ages ago, listened to it and shoved it in a pile. I came across it the other day and had a listen and quite enjoyed it. The singles have been played to death on TV and radio but I still quite liked the album. The first song whatever it's called was probably my favourite, I much prefer them to Kaiser Chiefs and a lot of the other bands around at the moment.

*Shoves back in pile to find again in a few years*
« »
thegenerator
UG P90 Elitist
43 IQ
Quote by rogue.orchid
ok then, what of your post-2000 cds do you own that are completely original (barr Radiohead)

I didnt say they had to be completely original. Using new ideas in CONJUNCTION with old ideas is good. Just recycling the old ideas, as was my point, is not good.

How much more simpler do I need to make it? Sheesh.

answer: Stephen Malkmus' Face The Truth, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Acme and Pretty Girls Make Graves' new one (Elan Vital) are three examples, I'm sure many more exist.
My Rig

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer
225 IQ
Quote by im_atheist

Hells no! They got it from a new order video, "Crystal" where the bass drum of the mock band was labeled "The Killers"!
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

ac_indie
pawchikepawpaw
400 IQ
Yeah, we get it. They got their name from the new order video! case closed.
l337_h4x0r5
14 IQ
does it matter where they got the name from....
All the songs after the first five are not even worth listening to after the first time...all the other ones are great...
tezhall
669 IQ
apparently they got their name from a New Order video.

ac_indie
pawchikepawpaw
400 IQ
right ok
It's been agreed the whole world stinks, so no one's taking showers anymore.
- Modest Mouse
ac_indie
pawchikepawpaw
400 IQ
Quote by R0CKER1220
i like them, i'm just wondering wtf the numbers in the video for "All of these things that i have done" are for. . .at random parts of the video, the chicks just hold up signs with numbers on them

To satisfy your curiosity, I found an answer... I got this from their message board/ forum on their site:

In the ATTID US video the numbers signify the right order for the video, because it's all out of synch (like Pulp Fiction).

Don't know exactly what that means but wish I coulda helped.
It's been agreed the whole world stinks, so no one's taking showers anymore.
- Modest Mouse
Burpin'Worm
773 IQ
Quote by ac_indie
To satisfy your curiosity, I found an answer... I got this from their message board/ forum on their site:

In the ATTID US video the numbers signify the right order for the video, because it's all out of synch (like Pulp Fiction).

I can't remember the video but from that I'd presume it's not in chronological order and that the numbers show the order it should happen in. Maybe
« »
R0CKER1220
UG Addict
523 IQ
Quote by ac_indie

yea that helped, now i just have to record it and reorder it. . .
ultimate guns
114 IQ
indie music is ok i got the killers album and smile like you mean it is the best song, but they were awful at live 8