Page 3 of 27
O Man, does anyone else think Hoppipolla is one of the most beautiful songs ever made?
"Great music completely obliterates any conceptions of genre"

Recordnerd
Dont have any albums, anywhere I can listen to em? download?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I remember seeing them live at Coachella 2 months ago or so. They were good live, except they were experiencing "technical" difficulties during their set. It was good nonetheless.
Yeah that sucked. Also people that watched the webcast say it wasn't very good in comparison to their other gigs.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Yeah that sucked. Also people that watched the webcast say it wasn't very good in comparison to their other gigs.

They have had other gigs webcasted?
Not that I know of. I'm just saying that people that have seen them live before say that what they saw from the Coachella webcast was disappointing.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Not that I know of. I'm just saying that people that have seen them live before say that what they saw from the Coachella webcast was disappointing.

ooh... haha ... I read that wrong. Oohh yea your right, it really didn't do them jusitce.
Anyone else notice the amount of shows and ads with Sigur Ros' Takk... songs on them?

Loads of football ones, especially on BBC (I heard one tonight after football (I don't like football)) and RTÉ
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Fecking amazing band. I'd say the first time I heard them was at the end of The Life Aquatic when Staralfur was playing. God, what a beautiful song.
Wade in the water, child.
They really are great live. The visuals and the music work together very well, and the guy's voice actually sounds like it does on record.
Quote by Cirrus Minor
O Man, does anyone else think Hoppipolla is one of the most beautiful songs ever made?

yup.

Quote by nigelthronbery
They really are great live. The visuals and the music work together very well, and the guy's voice actually sounds like it does on record

yeah I agree,.. the visuals really complement the music and augment the images that the music brings up. The overall atmosphere of a Sigur Ros gig is enchanting... It's as if the music takes you over, and actually places you in a different realm of sorts... Nothing like any other live gig I experienced

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
the first time i heard them all i said was "wow"
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
numbers 1 through 4 on ( ) are all I need to put me to sleep. Of course, I have listened to the album and stayed awake, but I think they are superb for chillin', too. I think that Takk..., however, is about as mainstream as the band can get. However, it is still a beautiful album. However, I prefer ( ), and I only recently acquired Hlemmur and am about to get Von sometime soon.
I don't see why everyone in this thread thinks Takk is so bad... Mind you I haven't heard much else, but some of these songs are just extremely beautiful. I can't wait to smoke a bowl and put this on the stereo.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^I didn't think it was a bad album, but I guess in comparison to their other work it's not as good. I don't find the songs on it as powerful for some reason. Mind you, if you like an album I don't see why you should stop all of a sudden just because someone thinkgs it's a bad record.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
When you see them live... they fill the room with inscents (spelling?). So the room smells great. I saw them at MSG and the room smelled very nice from it.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone
^they didn't do that either time i saw them

Quote by pumpkins_rule
I don't see why everyone in this thread thinks Takk is so bad... Mind you I haven't heard much else, but some of these songs are just extremely beautiful. I can't wait to smoke a bowl and put this on the stereo.

i'm one of those people, and i only think it's bad because i compare it to agaetis byrjun. which i should stop doing, because at this point in their career, i don't think they can top that record.
Last edited by starsnostars at Jul 31, 2006,
i'm not gonna use the term 'sell out' because i hate it more than most other things, but i was very very disappointed when they signed to geffen of all labels. takk is still decent, but sadly it just feels like tv trailer music. i still rate ( ) slightly higher than agaetis byrjun though.
Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
Anyone else notice the amount of shows and ads with Sigur Ros' Takk... songs on them?

Loads of football ones, especially on BBC (I heard one tonight after football (I don't like football)) and RTÉ

I was at the movies, and Hoppipola's played during the preview for "Children of Men"
I got Takk and ( ) and i love them. The Opening track of ( ) is simply beautiful.
I think that Sigur Ros is pretty much the perfect background music band. I think that Staralfur and Hoppipolla could work in any movie. The music is just so beautiful, dramatic, and enigmatic. Truly blissfull.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by AWA
I think that Staralfur and Hoppipolla could work in any movie.

i think staralfur is used at the end of 'the life aquatic'. it fits the scene it's used in so well as well.
in Australia they aren't known as well I don't think. A lot of people i know heard of them, but overall they don't have such a following here. So I don't see them being used in commercials or tv shows here any time soon.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
They are truly beautiful, my friend gave me the album ( ) and i turned on the first track and skipped halfway through and was like "uhh this is shit" and turned it off. Then a few months later I was going through my iTunes collection and I saw it, so i played the first song and it made me cry, yes thats right. It was purely beautiful, it just makes me so depressed when I listen to it, the video clip is amazing as well.

I think to find some like-minded musicians like the ones in this band, would be extremely difficult.
Love the band. () is my favourite album, but I haven't heard Von. Is it worth getting?
Quote by Forced In
Love the band. () is my favourite album, but I haven't heard Von. Is it worth getting?

If you really like them then probably.

It's not their best however.
Sigur Ros are certainly an interesting and innovating band but honestly, thier music kind of bores me as does Godspeed! You Black Emperor's music. As far as post-rock goes I'm all about Mogwai and Bjork.
Lots of good bands out of the same mold as Sigur Ros:

Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Album Leaf, El Ten Eleven, The Sea and Cake, Dirty Three, The Coach and Four, Six Parts Seven, Verbal, Larval, Lanterna, etc.

Live for this genre of music...so good.
oh god. i would never put sigur ros and explosions in the sky in the same genre, let alone the same thread
Quote by zeddenia
and why is that?

I think the trouble is alot of people are used to categorizing bands that sound "similar" together. They're not used to having two groups (Explosions & Sigur for example) that sound wholly different yet "are in the same vein". It would be nice if we could try and not "genre-ize" at all, but that's never going to happen...

Chances are, if you like Sigur Ros, you'll like Explosions, so why they shouldn't be mentioned in the same thread is above me.

As for takk, it is a little more commercial than the other records, but that doesn't make it bad, it's still worlds better than alot of the crap that's put out these days...Definitely my favorite music to see live, Explosions are an insanely good act to see in the flesh.
Last edited by lessthanthree at Dec 12, 2006,
I agree man. I saw Explosions up in San Francisco a few weeks ago and even for just a half set, they were amazing. My roommate saw them at Austin City Limits and was just blown away as well.

Sigur Ros and Explosions differ in that Sigur is more vocally/string driven whereas Explosions are more percussion/string driven. They both use rock and orchestral instruments to create what I'd term "musicscapes" so in purpose, they are comparable. Their storylines are instrument driven, too, since Sigur Ros' vocals are in a made up language.
Quote by zeddenia
since Sigur Ros' vocals are in a made up language.

It's not in Icelandic?