Page 1 of 4
This is what I got. Crappy Black Pigonose Strat Clone that my mom got me for Christmas a few years back. (Cant find teh product page fer it, and no, I do NOT have teh amplified one) What I wana do is sand off the finish and stuff, burn on flame outlines, stain it a nice amber color, medium/low gloss satin finish, build a new fender-style neck (With an increased scale, so I have a 24 Fret 27 1/2 inch scale) paint the Pickguard black with red particles, and have a Tele Style S/S/H with 2 phase, coil tap, and 3 volumes.
And I have to do this ALL on a crappy 40$ a month budget.. (Crappy education, not in school, im 16, my emplyment options are EXTREMELY limited, and if your gonna ask, PM me, its a long story..)

What I have done is took out the DP3T "On/(ON)/On/(ON)/On" (Selector) swich that came with it, used my dremel to bore 3 holes into my Pickguard, and wire it 3 phase/3 volume with 3 DPDT "On/Off/On" swiches.

Heres an image.

(Sorry for low quality, im using a 15$ Webcam. I tried to make it look nicer though, using sunlight for lighting, reducing blur, ETC)

Now, my current problems are with the wiring. When I turn one of my volumes all the way down, it shorts the corcut, making my output go "Kaput", so what do I do, put a Cap/Resistor between the ground and the lug? (If your wondering, I want a high, bright twangy tone) And I think the4res a prblem with continuincity. Whats teh best way to test this? (Besides testing EVERY last tedious wire with my pain-in-the ass Multimeter.. I need Aligattor clip probes defintally) Also, for the hole left by my removal of the old swich, I have herd Epoxy is the best way to fill in the hole (Im gonna paint over it anyway..), opinions?
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Mar 29, 2006,
do u have any idea what wood this guitar is?
its important if ur planning on stripping off all the paint.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
(Cant find teh product page fer it, and no, I do NOT have teh amplified one) GOD DAMM IT.......ITS THE not teh...jesus...sorry i had to get that out, its annoying.

So all you want to do is put flames on it? and maybe do a bit of rewiring
Last edited by False_God at Mar 6, 2006,
And a new neck that im gonna make. And I dont wana paint on the flames, I wana burm em on. :P

Also, I didn;t sleep good last night, and I typed this after I had my chai/coffee thing! Waht do you expect me type like? Dont make me go super anoyying fanboy on your ass! :P
How about having a guitar like the burnt Les Paul Gilby Clarke uses on GN'R Live in Tokyo?

Just set the guitar on fire, making sure you don't do so to yourself and/or something else. Also make sure you don't burn it too badly, or you might end up with coal.

Just an opinion, have fun!

EDIT: Set the guitar on fire without taking the finish off, that would kick ass.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
You can't change the scale with just a new neck. I think you have to move the bridge down too.
Quote by False_God
So a vintage burn....foresay

I think he means taking a hot iron of some kind (not like a pressing iron or soldering iron, just the term for hot metal tool) and burning shapes into it, its kind of like painting except it looks really old/antique/western, I think its pretty cool looking if applied correctly.

If he fabricates his own custom neck he could scale it correctly, all you would have to do is calculate everything from the bridge and work the neck length out accordingly and of course spacing the frets correctly it could work out just fine.

You could also just buy a 24 fret strat neck.. they sell em on warmoth I think.
Yes, exactly it! I wan tto burn the outlines of flames into my guitar! I saw a kit at Wallmart for it. (Though, if its the same tempurature as my Soldering Iron, and the bits will mach, I'll just buy the bits)

And no, I REFUSE to buy the neck, because of 2 reasons.
1: Im a cheap bastard wth a limitedd budget
2: I have a few ideas (like red mother of pearl block inalys) that I need to do myself.
http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Guitar-Pickups-Humbucker-Rail-Style-fits-Single-Coil-Cutout--PROD347

I have been looking at this pickup for my new neck pickup (Yes I want that kinda configuration!) I am very short on money, so I cant really afford anything else.. Opinions? If you present something cheaper, keep in mind I do want to Coil Tap it.
Whell, I have decided, from sanding my guitar with the Dremel tool, that the guitar isn't going to have a flat surface, its gonna be uneven, rounded, and organic.

And this is me after about 8 strait hours of sanding
Sanding for 8 hours! You're crazy! Neways... hoping to see some more progress!
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by Fast_Bear
From the neck pocket, it looks like low quality maple. :P

Dont worry about sanding though, I have some 3000 Grit sandpaper. (My mom buys and resells cars, so she often repaints them)

Your not stripping the guitar with 3000 grit sandpaper are you?
That would explain why you had to do 8 hours sanding.
You want to use something like 240 or lower. the higher the number the smoother the sandpaper.
I wouldn't sand with the dremel either the suface of the guitar will be all uneven
Quote by Fast_Bear
I know, I want it to be uneven. It gives a really earthen texture. It will go really well with the organic look im trying to get. Kinda looks like Thumbed Clay to me, and it fells really good on the skin.

And you could do the fretboard like this
http://www.shredaholic.com/images/m4448307-3012.jpg

sorry man just kidding.
Was there a thick black or gray coating inside the guitar? If it was you sanded out a like electro magnetic paint stuff that helps with the electronics.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
you can get foil tape at a hardware store for about 5$, it will be worth it, i reshield guitars when i buy them and it makes a big difference in the noise produced
Quote by ilovecanada1121
you can get foil tape at a hardware store for about 5$, it will be worth it, i reshield guitars when i buy them and it makes a big difference in the noise produced

But does it work aswell as pure copper foiling tape?
wow... that pick guard looks like... well to be frank, it looks like ****, im sure thatll be be fixed though :P
"Love is like an onion, the more layers you peel off, the more it stinks"
-Ed, Ed, Edd, and Eddy
when did you decide it would be easier to chop apart the pickguard than to unscrew a few nuts and take everything off? lol
Yes im crazy, and it would be eazirer than just "taking a few screws off" because this way, I dnt even have to detue my guitar if something goes bad.

Speakin-o-wich, I dun a bad! I lost the wires im supposed to solder with my pickup. I took off the wax, now how do I get to the wires so I can solder em to my cable?
Alright, my middle pickup now does not, and will not work. Ever. If anyone wants a broken pickup, tell me and I'll try an send it to you in a few days.

But now I got something good! I burnt an engraving onto my guitar. Everythings off it.

Now as you see, the flame design forms a line around teh guitar, I did this because my plan is to stain everything below this line amber-ish. And everythign above it sand smooth and leave it its natural color. Its gonan be sweet!

Front of my guitar.

Back

Details of "creature"

Sides
You had to get an artist to come up with that? I was expecting something more. I also think the cut in the pickguard could have been better so that when you put it on its hardly noticable.
that must be the weirdest project i have ever seen! i tell what i would do if i were in your situation. I would take the body and .... throw it in the bin!
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Quote by tabber666
that must be the weirdest project i have ever seen! i tell what i would do if i were in your situation. I would take the body and .... throw it in the bin!

**** you, the guitar is not done yet. Plus, this already was a crap guitar. I wouldn't take a 500+$ guitar apart! I got this thing at a Pawn shop for 20$!

Quote by HookInMouth
You had to get an artist to come up with that? I was expecting something more. I also think the cut in the pickguard could have been better so that when you put it on its hardly noticable.

Unfortunattly the artist could only do a quick sketch, he has his own projects. It wasn't exactly what I needed, but I still liked it enough to take parts from it (like the eyes) and put it into my design.
Ok first of all remind me why youd have to detune to fix something if "something went bad"
and second that design looks like **** imo......
Quote by XMetallica73X
Ok first of all remind me why youd have to detune to fix something if "something went bad"
and second that design looks like **** imo......

I mean with the electronics. If the electronics quit working, I wont have to take my guitar apart, to get the pickguard off, to fix that ONE loose wire! I can just take teh control panel off!

Also, its not stained, or sanded yet! It will look better! Trust me!
Page 1 of 4