Page 1 of 7
I'm just interested to see anyone's opinions of this lo-fi indie band. I, personally, can respect the songwriting, which is amazing, and Oberst's ability to be unique and yet keep it simple.

But you don't care what I think, I wanna know what you think.
the only band i can listen to all day every day without getting sick of.

amazing.

but saying that, i can see why people would not agree with me.

also sorry about dresden are pretty.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
I do love Bright Eyes, and most of his songs, there's jsut a few that I can't stand.

erm, that's about all I have to say.

but remember, he doesn't look like jake gyllenhaal guys!
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Bright Eyes aren't Lo-Fi. They're indie rock.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by frodoisdead
the only band i can listen to all day every day without getting sick of.

amazing.

but saying that, i can see why people would not agree with me.

also sorry about dresden are pretty.

Same.

Oh and about Sorry About Dresden, is their Let It Rest album any good?

I have their The Convenience Of Indecision album, just was wondering if Let It Rest was worth getting..

i cant stand bright eyes...i bought that one cd...listening to the ground or whatever it was called because everyone was so hyped up about him. i gave it a few weeks and i couldnt do it. he became very annoying. and then reading about how much of an asshole he is didnt make it easier to listen to the CD. then finding out he's a drunk and was totally oblilerated when i saw him live also didnt help.

he's a douche bag.
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
Quote by starsnostars
isn't he on trial for murder?

he should be for what he's done to music.

--
i can stand some of his songs.... but his voice annoys me... and in fact most of his songs annoy me...

theres a cpl i like on 'Lifted' and some of his mellower acoustic ones... but maybe thats just because he;s quieter?
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
I think that there are two sides to Conor, the passive-nice,shy, sad guy. And then there is the pretentious cokehead asshole.

But, his music is absolutely amazing.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
i really dont think his music is amazing. his lyrics can be clever and witty but folk music is not amazing. and having an awful voice is not amazing.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
now and then he turns a clever phrase...

...but how that makes up for the other 96.2% of the time when he's being a star-****ing, join-every-****ing-liberal-cause-ever-not-cause-its-intelligent-cause-its-liberal, whiny, childlike, drunkard...is beyond me
Quote by jallas

but remember, he doesn't look like jake gyllenhaal guys!

oh you know he did in that one picture jallas and you know it

well as you can tell by my avatar i love him in every way

the only bad songs I've heard from him were from the collection but he was like 14 so its forgivable and there are also some amazing songs on there to

his live show can either be amazing or a piece of crap depending on how drunk he is all 3 times i saw him it was amazing

Okay, honestly, where's everyone's getting this "he's a cocky douchbag" thing from?

I've read most of his interviews and he seems pretty modest for the most part.

Really, if you pay attention, it's usually the interviewer trying to make him look like a douchbag?

Interviewer: So we just listened to your album, and it's incredible. In fact, it's the best thing ever created. You are the next Bob Dylan. Your songs are so beautiful with flawless lyrics. You're pretty much God. So .........you're only twenty right?

Oberst :....uh...right, I'm twenty.

:Then editing comes:

Interviewer: So we just listened to your album, and it's incredible. In fact, it's the best thing ever created. You are the next Bob Dylan. Your songs are so beautiful with flawless lyrics. You're pretty much God.

Oberst :right.

You know the funny thing is the people who actually waste their time hating Oberst and telling everyone how they hate him are usually the people who take him so seriously.

Quote by dougiecrystals

Okay, honestly, where's everyone's getting this "he's a cocky douchbag" thing from?

I've read most of his interviews and he seems pretty modest for the most part.

Really, if you pay attention, it's usually the interviewer trying to make him look like a douchbag?

who said anything about interviews? listen to his songs, for starters try when the president talks to god
^ and his overall presence
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
I can't really enjoy his stuff. His voice doesn't appeal to me and he just comes off as pretentious, whether he is or not. I just don't like his whole delivery. And the hipsters who worship him often bother me for some reason so it just makes me not want to even try to like him.
^yes he is.
"Oberst is also guitarist and singer for the band Desaparecidos. The music and lyrics of Desaparecidos differ greatly from Bright Eyes, having more in common with punk rock than folk."

taken straight from wikipedia. bright eyes is folk. but wait, there's even more...

http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3115/6019/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4467515

"If Digital Ash sounds like indie kids breaking into pop, its sister disc, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, is a red-blooded folk album..."

^ taken from www.pitchforkmedia.com

http://www.rhapsody.com/brighteyes << check it. its filed under FOLK
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
no, and never use wiki as proof of authority, everything on that site is user submitted, a 12year old in his basement who flunked all his classes has the power to add Bright Eyes to the folk music page of wiki, I could go remove it right now if I wished

leonard cohen, early Dylan, joan baez, woody guthrie, etc are folk

devendra banhart is closer to folk, he's neo-folk, folk revival whatever

bright eyes is just indie. 100% indie, so he uses an acoustic guitar? that makes him folk, noooo.
Last edited by lo fi nights at Mar 15, 2006,
He has quite a few good collaborations, not to mention a lot of music behind him. he's got some talent obviously, but it is personal opinion. Some people can tolerate his voice and shaky style of singing and some can't. I can and I love it.
and wiki was only one source. what do you have to say about the other ones? nothing? and in one of them he is compared to bob dylan as a folk artist. oh, wait, didnt conor have a guest folk singer on one of his albums? oh why yes he did in fact. every source i cited describes Bright Eyes and folk or having something to do with folk. its distinct in his style of guitar playing and they way he sings.

you call him indie because folk died a long time ago. but no, he is, in his roots, a folk singer and artist.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
He has folk infulences yes, but surely that doesn't make him straight up folk.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

I think he's a pretty good songwriter... but, i don't think he's a very good performer. His lyrics tend to be really well written and thought out and he does do some interesting things musically. But, I think he's trying to hard to be the next John Lennon, Bob Dylan or whomever. Which he'll never be. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I don't dislike it. Some stuff is really good or great, but a lot of it to me is boring, a lot of it's been done before.
Last edited by cap'nkirk at Mar 15, 2006,
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Bright Eyes aren't Lo-Fi. They're indie rock.

Lo-fi-
Low fidelity or lo-fi describes a sound recording which contains accidental artifacts, like distortion, or environmental noise, or a recording which has a limited frequency response.

Like I said. Lo-fi Indie Rock. They're not separate things, lo-fi is not it's own genre, it's a style of recording. You can be indie and record lo-fi; in fact, alot of indie bands are that way. Although Bright Eyes is moving away from this style, listen to Lua or anything off A Collection of Songs 95-97, and you'll see it's lo-fi indie.
^^ Yeah, that's what lo-fi is. Do people really think it's a musical style? The White Stripes also used a lot of lo-fi recording, as did Guided by Voices. Apparently, they've all got different musical styles.
Bright Eyes is indie indeed, Conor Oberst is an indie icon. But indie is more of a lifestyle not a specific genre. Like grunge it was a scene not a genre. Bright Eyes is alternative in the fact he does do folk things for example I'm Wide Awake It's morning. But most of his stuff isn't so folky, he mixes it up.
to be folk conor would have to be trying to reach back to the music that represented his region. Im sure many Nebraskans rode on cattle with keyboards and wrote songs about Winona Ryder.

he'd also have to write a protest song, topical songs with positive outlooks.
Conor's favorite subjects; himself, and comparing our nations leader to hitler.

verdict: not folk.

as for your sources, pitchfork? right, because if theres anyone who can say "i was there, man" when it comes to folk, its pitchfork. you smurfin nailed it.

You call him folk because you are, in your roots, someone who believes everything he/she/n/a reads.
Last edited by lo fi nights at Mar 15, 2006,
no, the lyrics dont make a genre. its the style of which he sings and plays. i've listened to bright eyes. i know what it sounds like. and to me, its sounds pretty folky.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
Pretty good musician. I saw him live with the Faint, and it was pretty cool. I've heard from people who have met him that he is a cocky and pretentious bastard, and he does seem like it.

Also, the whole thing about being the next Bob Dylan is a bit of a joke.

Conor Oberst is good, but nowhere near Bob Dylan's talent.
Quote by lo fi nights
^what dosnt sound folky to someone who had to google folk to find out what it is!?

no, you are wrong again. there was no googling of folk.

maybe you should stop eating up your music so much.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.