Page 3 of 7
I thought it was a typo
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
sorry in advance for double posting

in Acoustic Guitar magazine, December 2005:

What He Plays
Acoustic Guitars: 1975 Matin 000-18. Late 40's Gibson LG.

Strings: D'Addario phophor- bronze mediums

Pickup: Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural 1.

Electric Guitars: 1973 Gibson Les Paul Jr., 2000 Danelectro baritone, and "a lot of broken Fender Strats and Teles."

Amp: Vox AC30

Picks: Fingerpicks acoustic with Lee Press-On nails.
Plays electric with .73 gray or red flatpicks.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
I'm Wide Awake is best to get first.

I disagree.

It's probably the weakest album, bar a collection of songs and digital. They're all great; don't get me wrong, but the others are ****ing mind blowing.

Fevers and Mirrors

and

Lifted

for the win.

If you don't get them, you don't get Bright Eyes, in my opinion. Anyone can like the catchyness of I'm wide awake, but it takes a better ear to appreciate the integrity of the others.
Last edited by thepickups at May 22, 2006,
hm.. i think Im Wide Awake is actually the best start to finish album. It just reels off good song after good song

i love lifted and fevers but i dont think theyre quite as good as Wide Awake

and i agree, if you dont like lifted or fevers, Bright Eyes probably isnt your band. Its a somewhat acquired taste
Member #57 of The Weezer Fan Club
Quote by thepickups
I disagree.

It's probably the weakest album, bar a collection of songs and digital. They're all great; don't get me wrong, but the others are ****ing mind blowing.

Fevers and Mirrors

and

Lifted

for the win.

If you don't get them, you don't get Bright Eyes, in my opinion. Anyone can like the catchyness of I'm wide awake, but it takes a better ear to appreciate the integrity of the others.

he wasn't saying that IWAIM is the best album, he said it's probably the best to start off with.

which I agree with.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
he wasn't saying that IWAIM is the best album, he said it's probably the best to start off with.

I didn't say he was?

I just said that you shouldn't start there, and then went on to say that it's the weakest.
Quote by jallas

which I agree with.

Thank-you.

It's probably his most accessible album, meaning it is therefore the best one to get first.
Okay this is my opinion on Bright Eyes/ Conor Oberst.

Iv heard Conor is a "prick" but Iv never heard any good evidence of it. I know he gets wasted at alot of his shows and I personally think thats pretty lame for him to do that so often but whatever.

Now for his music, I downloaded a torrent for his WHOLE DISCOGRAPHY. Litteraly every single Bright Eyes Album, Split, you name it. Even all his side projects (desapericidos, park ave., commander venus, etc.). I can safely say the guy can write a good tune with some pretty cool lyrics. But by god hes got so many songs where he just rambles and they blend together and god almighty I get sick of them fast. Those are the songs that make to think hes overrated. Like I said before, hes got skill when it comes to writing good music with some very clever lyrics, but the guy has got a cult behind him where people listen to him and assume hes some sort of a genius after hearing a couple good songs. Hes good, but Iv heard much better in my life and I think hes just overrated. Thats my opinion atleast.
It's probably his most accessible album, meaning it is therefore the best one to get first.

That's why I wouldn't agree. People would expect more of the same, whereas his other stuff is alot more varied and different.

It's just my opinion, it doesn't end anything.
Hes good, but Iv heard much better in my life and I think hes just overrated. Thats my opinion atleast.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is much better?

sorry for double posting, but i don't have long!
Quote by thepickups
That's why I wouldn't agree. People would expect more of the same, whereas his other stuff is alot more varied and different.

It's just my opinion, it doesn't end anything.

I guess, same as it's mine, it's cool

Quote by thepickups
Just out of curiosity, what do you think is much better?

sorry for double posting, but i don't have long!

Elliot Smith?

I know it was directed at him, but whatev.
honestly, i haven't listened to IWAIM more than 10 times since i bought it, on the day it was released. it never stood out, for me. half the songs are a little boring and i usually skip over them. i've definitely always been a bigger fan of digital ash. less skipping.
Elliot Smith

Grr, I thought you were going to say some heavy metal group or something.
Quote by DirgeForTheSun
lifted is my favorite, then fevers

favorite songs are if winter ends, sunrise/sunset, and don't know when but a days gonna come....i get chills when the drums come in

Sunrise, Sunset may be the hardest Bright Eyes song to sing.
Quote by emomints
this is one of the more heated debates i've seen, connor sparks alot of different feelings obviously.

i absolutely love his stuff. you have to give him credit for being original, creative and loyal to his record label and not selling out to badly as of yet. I can see how most people are feeling and saying about his music. It is alittle folk sounding (just listen to 'Lua' or 'At The Bottom Of Everything'), but noone can say that he sucks or that he's not talented.
Originally posted by SuicideKing
.... so wtf is an emo? is it like an emu only rounder?
lately ive been listening to a lot of the 'there is no beginning to the story' ep (on vinyl, with the neil young cover and amy in the white coat) and i like it a lot.

that is all.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I like Bright Eyes. I'm from Omaha so I've seen him live a few times (I'm going to see him on June 16th...for free!) and it's always been a good show. He does get drunk on stage (drunker I should say) and it only seems to affect his performance towards the end of the show. He seems nice for the most part. As far as albums go, I think Letting Off the Happiness is one of my favorites.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by thepickups
Grr, I thought you were going to say some heavy metal group or something.

Why?
Quote by startingline
connor

At least you could spell his name correctly.
Quote by emomints
i like him, i was never bothered by his voice and his lyrics are clever. now to call him the new bob dylan is, i would say, an offense punishable by death. his lyrics have, y'know, meaning. connor's are very clever, but they aren't, say, society-changing anthems.

saddle creek records in general is a great place for music if you ask moi, and you didn't
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
I quite like him, although a lot of people say he's emo and the like. Great lyricist. The instrumentations' not incredible, but it works well with his voice/lyrics.
you tell me who's better. i think good charlote are better than the bealtes but that's only because their lyrics mean more and they are better musicians.

Member #4 of The Mars Volta fanclub. PM happytimeharry to join.
Emo my ass.

If he's emo, then emo's the ****ing epitome of good music now a days.

There's nothing worse than people labelling bands.

Who gives a ****?

If the emo's like him, then good, maybe their music taste is improving.

Becuase Oberst isn't some guy writing boring lyrics and sticking a catchy beat to them.

No, he's writing extremely clever lyrics, not repeating chorus' and putting amazing music to it.

Listen to- When the Curious Girl Realises She is Under Glass.

If emo's like that, then they can all suck me off for about 12 years with their bloody wrists cupping my balls.

So stop debating whether it's emo, or folk or rock or hip hop or whatever you people always say.

Let's accept the man's ****ing great and hope that he brings his album out soon.
Last edited by thepickups at May 31, 2006,
^Agreed.
Conor is a great lyricist and a great musician, it doesnt matter what genre it is if its good!
I think he sucks copious amounts of ass. But that dead horse has been beaten enough for me to quantify it.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
Quote by thepickups
Neely!

I like your voice.

Ever listen to Tilly and the Wall?
Quote by emomints
favorite album: fevers and mirrors then im wide awake it morning

favorite songs:
if winter ends
messenger birds song
poison oak
land locked blues
touch
theme to a pinata
Quote by thepickups
Neely!

I like your voice.

haha i guess its kinda obvious where i got my username from then, isnt it?
Ever listen to Tilly and the Wall?

You got msn?

Add me and show me some stuff, I like your taste so far.

thepickups@hotmail.co.uk

I really like Bright Eyes, and I'll be seeing him on the 7th. (much to the dismay of Jon )

Where?
Quote by iamjosh
i like him, i was never bothered by his voice and his lyrics are clever. now to call him the new bob dylan is, i would say, an offense punishable by death. his lyrics have, y'know, meaning. connor's are very clever, but they aren't, say, society-changing anthems.

saddle creek records in general is a great place for music if you ask moi, and you didn't

Some of his lyrics should be clever since his average song is a 6-7 minute free verse whine. After all, if you leave a chimp at a keyboard long enough, he might type a few actual sentences. He's the type of person who seems to be in love with what he has to say but doesn't worry about things like "hooks" or "dynamic variation." I go to a lot of open mics and a lot of people there are all over this guy's balls, but I just don't see it. His singing voice is terrible and the music is taxing to listen to.
Hi, I'm Peter
No, but they make for a better song. Hell, I'll find myself singing a song to myself that I HATE because the hook is clever. And I think coming up with a good hook or a good chorus is much more "clever" than writing 6 or 7 14-line verses with no chorus. There's a girl who goes to open mic who covers "Landlocked Blues" and "It's Ok We Can Still Be Friends" (or whatever) a lot and by the third or fourth verse it's like *YAWN*
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
No, but they make for a better song. Hell, I'll find myself singing a song to myself that I HATE because the hook is clever. And I think coming up with a good hook or a good chorus is much more "clever" than writing 6 or 7 14-line verses with no chorus.

In your opinion.

I personally like the depth of a long song with intertwined, unabridged deep meanings. If a hook is the only way you can appreciate a song, it's really too bad.

But I guess it's all subjective.
pfft, i disagree.

it's a relief to hear him instead of the other boring waste that's out there.
"Landlocked Blues" and "It's Ok We Can Still Be Friends" (or whatever) a lot and by the third or fourth verse it's like *YAWN*

Not exactly his ebst songs though...

In your opinion.

I personally like the depth of a long song with intertwined, unabridged deep meanings. If a hook is the only way you can appreciate a song, it's really too bad.

Well said.
Last edited by thepickups at Jun 1, 2006,
Quote by Zamboni
In your opinion.

It's not the only way, but let's put it this way to take it out of the realm of songwriting:

I'd rather read Robert Frost than e.e. cummings. Why? Because I think it takes more talent to nail a perfect rhyme every line and still convey meaning than it does to write "artsy" free verse poetry. Of COURSE you're going to get some "meaning" out of something when you prattle on and on endlessly. The truly creative songwriter will convey deep meaning with brevity. Stephen King isn't automatically a great author because he can write books that will give you a hernia. On the other hand, George R. R. Martin writes long novels but he's brilliant. And length doesn't automatically mean deep meanings. For example, in Landlocked Blues, he goes from talking about having sex on the floor in the living room to politics. It's like he doesn't really have one particular meaning, so he's all over the place. To me, this Oberst guy doesn't hold a candle to truly great songwriters like Dylan, Paul Simon, Thom Yorke, Willie Nelson, Warren Zevon, etc. Sometimes convention exists because it works; it doesn't just exist to stifle creativity. So if you think I'm missing something, please, set me in the right direction, because what I've heard thus far doesn't appeal to me at all.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 1, 2006,