Page 4 of 7
he goes from talking about having sex on the floor in the living room to politics. It's like he doesn't really have one particular meaning, so he's all over the place

Ever think that those thoughts and images are linked?

I certainly do.
Quote by thepickups
Ever think that those thoughts and images are linked?

I certainly do.

No. How much I hate George Bush never pops in my mind while I'm having sex with my wife. Nor do I watch TV news while I'm doing it.

But thanks for ignoring the majority of my post.
Hi, I'm Peter
No. How much I hate George Bush never pops in my mind while I'm having sex with my wife.

Really?

On a serious note though, it makes sense to me.

While he is having sex, and making loves, others are fighting and killing, therefore destroying families and breaking loves.

I think he's alot cleverer than you think.

But, I do also agree with some things you said, apart from the thom yorke thing, becuase conor is a much better writer in my opinion.
But thanks for ignoring the majority of my post.

I read it.

I was just nit picking.

You have some good points.
I dunno. To me, "Black Star" is an infinitely better break up song than "...Friends." Anything on either The Bends or OK Computer (with maybe the exception of Fitter Happier) pwns anything I've heard from Bright Eyes. Although one of the best break up songs I've heard recently is "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams.
Hi, I'm Peter
Red's in Edmonton

I'd swaer I've been there, where is it?

I dunno. To me, "Black Star" is an infinitely better break up song than "...Friends." Anything on either The Bends or OK Computer (with maybe the exception of Fitter Happier) pwns anything I've heard from Bright Eyes.

Anyone can do that, pick a great song from one band and then the worst from another.

Listen to Fevers and Mirrors for pure beauty.

I have thom's new album already btw, but i'll buy it when it's out too.

black star is so great though

so is come pick me up

and fitter happier
Dirk, you're spending so much time comparing Connor to people, you forget that he is unlike anyone else in this genre right now.

His musical and lyrical styling is completely different than anyone else. That doesn't mean it's better or worse than any one thing, it just means it's different.

Extreme example: Picasso was doing fucked up stuff with colours and shapes before anyone else even had the inkling of doing so. His art is some of the most brilliant and different stuff ever created. But at the time, it was frowned upon somewhat for it's originality.

Comparisons don't work to analyze or justify a point.
Quote by thepickups
Anyone can do that, pick a great song from one band and then the worst from another.

Well, I definitely don't have the catalog knowledge of Bright Eyes to say I intentionally picked "the worst" song; it's just the one I've been exposed to the most. I definitely get your point, though. I'll check out your suggestion. D/L some stuff after I get my home computer situation straightened out. BTW, are there tracks where his voice doesn't do that "I'm dying" warble thing?
Quote by Zamboni
Dirk, you're spending so much time comparing Connor to people, you forget that he is unlike anyone else in this genre right now.

Oh please. People have been doing the rambling singer/songwriter thing since the 60s.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, I definitely don't have the catalog knowledge of Bright Eyes to say I intentionally picked "the worst" song; it's just the one I've been exposed to the most. I definitely get your point, though. I'll check out your suggestion. D/L some stuff after I get my home computer situation straightened out. BTW, are there tracks where his voice doesn't do that "I'm dying" warble thing?

hahaha, sure.

But buy Fevers and Mirrors or Lifted.

A superb album, one of my favourites ever, by far.

Pure emotion.

And not an "emo" album.

**** that, it's pure music.
Oh please. People have been doing the rambling singer/songwriter thing since the 60s.

Please, find me someone as close to decent as he is, it'd make my day.
Quote by Dirk Gently

Please, if you can generalize an artist (with over 15 albums, by the way) to a "rambling singer/songwriter", you're nuckin' futs.
Well, I'm new to the whole folk music kind of thing, so I couldn't rip off a long list. But I find Iron & Wine and The Postal Service to be similar, although The Postal Service is a bit hit or miss to me. And of course Bob Dylan started the whole thing. "The Hurricane?" Come on... He's the grandmaster of really long acoustic-driven songs. Of course, it's hard to touch the brilliance of "Like a Rolling Stone" or the aforementioned "Hurricane." And he's actually borrowing a lot from the female singer/songwriter tradition, like Joanie Mitchell.
Hi, I'm Peter
Nice examples, yes.

But he's more contempary than Bob. Don't get me wrong though, I ****ing love Dylan, I have hundreds of his, 289 to be precise, but seen as Conor is making the better music of the moment, I don't see the problem in having a newer version. But it isn't even like they're the same, it's just because he plays some longer songs like Dylan. Who cares, length means nothing, it's what fills the silence.

I think it's silly comparing also, it needn't be done.

If you compare, you usually compromise.

I'd like it if you listen to more of his "better" music, before we dabate any more.

It'll be worth it, if you're open minded towards him. Don't listen to others.

Apart from me maybe...
I hear you. I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of his music is lacking, so I'm just speaking from first impressions rather than encyclopaedic knowledge. And I agree with you on Dylan. But as far as comparisons go, I think people gravitate towards what they're familiar with, and it's a basic part of human understanding to associate something "new" with something familiar. That's why many people are afraid of what they don't understand or something that's completely foreign to them. I personally love discovering new types of music, but at the same time, I'm a very critical listener. There have only been a handful of bands in my life that I listened to and on first listen was like "yeah, this is great." Last one for me was probably when I discovered Jeff Buckley's "Grace" about a year and a half ago.
Hi, I'm Peter
so i have a friend and she has never heard bright eyes so what cd should i give her

i was thinking either wide awake, Lifted or Letting off the Happiness
Lifted could sell a non-believer on Bright Eyes by False Advertising
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
Quote by Dirk Gently
But I find Iron & Wine and The Postal Service to be similar

How are Postal Serviced and Iron & Wine similar?

Iron & Wine is acoustic driven neo-folk and Postal Service is Electro-pop. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to know your reasoning behind that comparison.

...And I am aware that Iron & Wine covered "Such Great Heights" but it is completely different from the Postal Service original.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by YoungPilgrim
Iron & Wine is acoustic driven neo-folk and Postal Service is Electro-pop.

AAAAHHHH I'm drowning in subgenres!!!

Anyway, I know the music sounds different, it's more of a lyrical thing. But I get what you're saying. Actually, if the Iron & Wine guy were any more low key, he'd be comatose.
Hi, I'm Peter
sam Beam?

Cool guy.

Conor Oberst looks like Jake Gylllenhalll or however many l's there are.

And I would've said to get Letting Off but whatever.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.

So I heard Conor Oberst is bring out another Desaparecidos album, anyone else got some back up on this?

I heard from some kid on myspace, but he didn't say where he got the news, I should message him right now...

But it'd make sense right?

I dont' know about the other members, but well, Oberst I believe is taking a break with Bright Eyes except for a few shows here and there in the Summer, but...yeah, leaves lots of time to do other stuff.
does anyone else have those like "what happened this year" sections in the end of your yearbooks? where its got just like a little recap of movies and cds and random other **** that happened with everything? well on the music page of mine that i got today conor was in there. i kind of screamed like a little girl. its basically a picture of him on stage and this is the caption:

DO THEY SHOOT LASERS, OR ARE THEY JUST BRIGHT?
Conor Oberst and his band Bright Eyes release three albums in 2005 as part of their attempt at world domination.

pretty lame, i know, but damn. right in between mary j. blige and mariah carey.
and the opposite page has death cab for cutie. yeah. thought i'd share.
So I heard Conor Oberst is bring out another Desaparecidos album, anyone else got some back up on this?

I heard from some kid on myspace, but he didn't say where he got the news, I should message him right now...

But it'd make sense right?

I dont' know about the other members, but well, Oberst I believe is taking a break with Bright Eyes except for a few shows here and there in the Summer, but...yeah, leaves lots of time to do other stuff.

I heard he was building a house for a year with M Ward and mates, and won't record this year.

But then Alice told me he's due a CD this summer.

So I'm confused.

I'd be happy with a desa album, the first was superb.
i hear there will be another desa album, but not til after the next bright eyes record.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by MattDaviesFFAF

Conor Oberst looks like Jake Gylllenhalll or however many l's there are.

DOES NOT

Quote by thepickups

But then Alice told me he's due a CD this summer.

wtffff?????? no i didn't. i read on teletext a while back that he was to begin making a new album sometime soon but it didn't say when would be released.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
wtffff?????? no i didn't. i read on teletext a while back that he was to begin making a new album sometime soon but it didn't say when would be released.

Same difference.

But I did think you said summer.

My mistake then.
I'm not believing any news about a new Desa album because Payola was all set and due but then Conor decided to record two new Bright Eyes albums.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
I wouldn't say no to a new Desaparecidos album...

Ona different note:
I hear Conor can barely stand to play old Bright Eyes material anymore. I'll let you know if he plays any new material at the free show on June 16. Sometimes living in Omaha pays off...sometimes.
On the tour that they recorded the Motion Sickness disc on, didn't he play like Something Vague and a whole slew of older songs?
Quote by emomints
Quote by GuitarSlinger
On the tour that they recorded the Motion Sickness disc on, didn't he play like Something Vague and a whole slew of older songs?

Yeah, that was the Wide Awake tour. From what I hear, he got really sick of most of the old songs on that tour and the one after the Digital Ash tour, with the exception of a few from Fevers and Mirrors. He's been writing new material for a few months.
Ona different note:
I hear Conor can barely stand to play old Bright Eyes material anymore. I'll let you know if he plays any new material at the free show on June 16. Sometimes living in Omaha pays off...sometimes.

Bastard.

And so he should be writing new material.
Always better to move on than stay still.