Page 5 of 7
Quote by thepickups
Bastard.

And so he should be writing new material.
Always better to move on than stay still.

Personally, I would rather see a new Desa album than a Bright Eyes one, just for a little change of pace.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
uhm, best place to post this i guess
but i bought digital ash the other day, and wow. seriously, i never knew how good bright eyes were.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I love everything about him. There's quite a large thread on him in the pop-punk/emo forum.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
i tried searching and got this one. there was an 'the thread for all things conor oberst/bright eyes' but it didnt appear

Quote by metaldud536

I hope there's more to Bright Eyes than IWA,IM , because that sucked horribly. Should I bother to check out his other stuff?
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
download some stuff. its worth a shot, if you like it you'll buy them of course

i just bought on impulse really.

Quote by metaldud536

Personally in my opinion he is the artist of our times.
70's had the sex pistols , 80's had bowie and GnR 90's Nirvana. 00's I believe is bright eyes, he (although it is a band we should really just assume conor is the creative mind behind it) constantly changes and evolves his musical direction, not a great guitarist or singer but something is so compeling about him.
Awesome
Thats a pretty massive statement to make. There are many musicians far more talented lyrically, musically and vocally. Oberst hardly makes the grade compared to some of the greater singer song writers/bands.
^ I agree. Can you say "Tom Waits," kids? Besides, you're talking about legendary bands/artists who also enjoyed a lot of commercial success and were pioneers of their respective genres (even though I disagree with your picks as definitive artists of a particular decade). Oberst's name isn't really known outside the indie crowd, and he's not doing anything really ground breaking. There are a lot of 14 year old girls sitting in their bedrooms with their diaries setting free-verse poetry to music.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by jackbutt
Thats a pretty massive statement to make. There are many musicians far more talented lyrically, musically and vocally. Oberst hardly makes the grade compared to some of the greater singer song writers/bands.

Are you talking about contemporary artists?
Listen to my music here
i find that people who love bright eyes, can connect with it on a level that the casual listener will never understand.

he is up there with dylan, elliott smith + neil young as my favourite songwriters.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Quote by frodoisdead
i find that people who love bright eyes, can connect with it on a level that the casual listener will never understand.

Word, recogniiiiize.

But seriously though, it's true.

And I'm not talking about those wannabe indie girls that think khanur is soo hot as the people that 'love' Bright Eyes.

Quote by frodoisdead

That can be said for any artist from Bright Eyes to the Grateful Dead to Kiss.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
That can be said for any artist from Bright Eyes to the Grateful Dead to Kiss.

I think he was just making a point, it is indeed true for most bands. although its definately more prodiminent in bands that write songs, rather than 'write' songs

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Dirk Gently
There are a lot of 14 year old girls sitting in their bedrooms with their diaries setting free-verse poetry to music.

I agree to a certain extent , but I'm WIde Awake it's Morning really does have some exceptional lyrics.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I really do not know where he gets these lyrics from. Thats also what amazes me, how he can even think of things to write about! it's something i've NEVER been able to do

Quote by metaldud536

^ His lyrics can be interesting. It's his voice that turns me off the most. I don't even know why, since I like Tom Waits and other people without *good* singing voices.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I think he was just making a point, it is indeed true for most bands. although its definately more prodiminent in bands that write songs, rather than 'write' songs

^ I agree. There are bands/artists/groups that can appeal to the lowest common denominator better than others (i.e., boy bands, pop punk, disco, etc.), whereas with groups like Bright Eyes and other indie and experimental rock artists, people tend to have more of a love or hate relationship with. Few purely casual music listeners would pick a group like Bright Eyes, Sigur Ros, or bands along those lines over a mainstream band.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by martyr
Are you talking about contemporary artists?

Not at all. I'm talking about people performing and writing NOW. I wouldn't even include Oberst on a top 50 of the 2000s, let alone place him at number one. This is definately a matter of opinion, and my number one might not be the same as everyone elses, but I'm pretty sure the votes for Oberst would come from angsty preteens who haven't been into the music long enough to hear what else is out there.
Quote by jackbutt
Not at all. I'm talking about people performing and writing NOW. I wouldn't even include Oberst on a top 50 of the 2000s, let alone place him at number one. This is definately a matter of opinion, and my number one might not be the same as everyone elses, but I'm pretty sure the votes for Oberst would come from angsty preteens who haven't been into the music long enough to hear what else is out there.

Contemporary means parallel to whenever it was refering to, I guess I should have been specific. Contemporary does mean now, just so you know.

I totally understand your view, and appreciate it, because without it, I wouldn't have mine. I do think Conor's an amazing lyricist and composer, and definitely one of the more pertinent contemporary musicians. His music might not be complex, though I'd say a fair deal of his lyrics are, but there really aren't that many musicians that sound the way Bright Eyes does, except An Angle, lolzerz. I don't know you at all, but it seems like you have a sort of pre-determined idea of who should and does listen to his music. Which is fine, I mean we all have been conditioned to think certain ways, but I don't think that "angsty preteens" nessecarily dictate Conor or Bright Eye's career.
Listen to my music here
^^exactly.

my dad likes "i'm wide awake" a lot + he's past fifty.

i think the simplicity of his songs is what adds to the emotion he conveys.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
Well, it wouldn't be bright eyes if he was pulling off 500bpm shred riffs all over the place.

Quote by metaldud536

mike mogis is blatently the greatest shred guitarist ever.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
Quote by martyr
Contemporary means parallel to whenever it was refering to, I guess I should have been specific. Contemporary does mean now, just so you know.

Sorry, I've always associated Contemporary as a type of furniture, not a type of music. Not a phrase I use very often.

I'm not one to tell people that their taste in music sucks, although I might think so. I also find it difficult to understand how people can listen to something when there's something so much better to be listening to. But thats the way music goes, and you wouldn't catch me dead listening to Conor Oberst or Bright Eyes when I could be listening to Slint, From Monument to Masses, Sigur Ros, Elliott Smith, etc etc. Just the same, I'm sure some people wouldn't be caught dead listening to some of the things I do.
Quote by jackbutt
Sorry, I've always associated Contemporary as a type of furniture, not a type of music. Not a phrase I use very often.

I'm not one to tell people that their taste in music sucks, although I might think so. I also find it difficult to understand how people can listen to something when there's something so much better to be listening to. But thats the way music goes, and you wouldn't catch me dead listening to Conor Oberst or Bright Eyes when I could be listening to Slint, From Monument to Masses, Sigur Ros, Elliott Smith, etc etc. Just the same, I'm sure some people wouldn't be caught dead listening to some of the things I do.

So's the way of life.

Listen to my music here
Conor Oberst is definitely not as important or proficient as some make him out to be. He is certainly not in the caliber of the defining artist of the decade, but I think most will agree that he has evolved into a talented songwriter and has written quite a good album.(I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning)
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by system
anyone heard his new EP yet? it's interesting. i never would have said before that bright eyes "rocks".

Yeah, it's really good.

I especially like the title track, Four Winds, lyrically amazing.
Listen to my music here
The new EP is excellent. It's very bittersweet for me. I love the new sound, but on the other hand I miss the old acoustic guitar/almost crying in the mic thing that Conor did on some of I'm Wide Awake and his older albums. Stray Dog Freedom sounds kinda like something I woulda listened to before Bright Eyes got me into Indie (musically). Also, I don't get the huge hype around Four Winds, it's a decent track but it's not even the 3rd best song on the EP, and apparently Bright Eyes has a set line up now, it's not just Conor and a rotating crew of musicians.
Last edited by NGD1313 at Jan 28, 2007,
Quote by NGD1313
The new EP is excellent. It's very bittersweet for me. I love the new sound, but on the other hand I miss the old acoustic guitar/almost crying in the mic thing that Conor did on some of I'm Wide Awake and his older albums. Stray Dog Freedom sounds kinda like something I woulda listened to before Bright Eyes got me into Indie (musically). Also, I don't get the huge hype around Four Winds, it's a decent track but it's not even the 3rd best song on the EP, and apparently Bright Eyes has a set line up now, it's not just Conor and a rotating crew of musicians.

Yeah, which I'm really excited about, because I love the overall feel and texture of the EP.
Listen to my music here
I just listend to the ep and got kind of disappointed.... four winds was the best track without any questions but the rest, i don't no... hope conor has some great tracks on the actual album, even if he doesn't i'll just buy it because of napoleon's hat!
yeah it's conor, nate walcott + the god that is mike mogis.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
so i finally got a collection of songs and it is all over the place...crazy unfocused
oh and the ep is ok...the violin/fiddle part at the start of four winds is kinda dumb, fav track is tourist trap
I got Lifted...So far I think it's great. I really love "Lover I Don't Have to Love." Is this song similar to the other less "folky" things he has done, like Digital Ash In A Digital Urn?

I've avoided Bright Eyes for such a long time because a lot of douche bags that I knew went all crazy of Conor, but it is actually really good stuff.
I dunno, I feel like Lover I Don't Have To Love is different than anything on Digital Ash, but it is still sort of similar...
Which albums are more like digital ash anyway? i'm not too fond of the folk

Quote by metaldud536

^Check the b-side "I Will Be Grateful For This Day".
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.