Page 1 of 2
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Allright Quick question as i have some money coming in pretty soon. IM looking for a good metal distortion like a Bogner Uberschall or a Mesa Triaxis i know the Triaxis is much much more versatile but i know the Uber has that dark distortion. does anybody knwo if i will be able to get a bogner esque tone out of the triaxis

THX
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
mikeh
UG's scapegoat
19 IQ
To be honest i'm hugely biased towards Bogner because of the sheer awesome and inspiring sound you can get out of pretty much all their amps.

Mesa are great too, but you'll just have to think of what you're primarily going to use the amp for.
mike` : for almost a year
mike` : les paul classic through an mg15
Craig||: lmfao
Craig||: thats like
Craig||: A starving african having a tin of beans
Craig||: and no tin opener

www.myspace.com/guitarplayinghoboe
Freddedonna
has licked your screen
530 IQ
Bogner = Boner
You'll get one when you try it. Believe me.
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Freddedonna
Bogner = Boner
You'll get one when you try it. Believe me.

wow, what a perfect way of putting it.

I love bogner, but i havent tried the mesa so im kind of biased (by default)

my suggestion, try them out.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Tim_Miles
On this road since 1989.
1,967 IQ
Bogner anyday...but i am also biased towards bogner lol
Spynal
Halt! Hammerzeit!
1,710 IQ
It's a simple equation:

(Bogner = Mesa^3) > Humanity
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Allrigth i think we see who the winner in this category is. Ya im just gonna be using it for heavy hi gain distortion rhythm stuff then probably with a tube screamer for leads. and ill probably by a seperate amp for cleans.

Thats a good question how are the cleans on the bogner
Spynal
Halt! Hammerzeit!
1,710 IQ
Pretty goddamn good.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
you're ****ing insane. Why the hell would you want an amp for cleans and distortion? the cleans on the uberschall are fine.

On another note- The Triaxis is a beast. I'd easily say it rivals the uberschall. Don't forget you'd need a poweramp as well.

on yet ANOTHER note-

What the hell is with everyone making 500000 amp threads?
JimiMan1535
61 IQ
I hope you're prepared to pay $4000+. If I could find a used or good deal on an Uberschall I'd get one, but for the long run I'd prefer a Triaxis. They are some of the most versatile pieces of equipment you can have, and much cheaper. Plus the uber only has 2 channels, which I don't like.

And yea you're right Genocide, everybody's got amp fever.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
you're ****ing insane. Why the hell would you want an amp for cleans and distortion? the cleans on the uberschall are fine.

On another note- The Triaxis is a beast. I'd easily say it rivals the uberschall. Don't forget you'd need a poweramp as well.

on yet ANOTHER note-

What the hell is with everyone making 500000 amp threads?

I personally like really nice cleans and i asked that because i know on the triple rec for instance the cleans arent that great so i was wondering if the cleans on the uberschall are good

im making this thred because im probably going to be getting about 17,000 dollars in a week(knock on wood) lucky me. and i know the uberschal and a triaxis with power amp are going to be about the same priceso thats why i put the two together

on a side note The Uberschall plus cab is going to run me 3757 USD Exactly
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Spynal
Pretty goddamn good.

wow i never thought i would see you here

but your right, the ubershall has quite a decent clean tone which is further enhanced IMO with a hint of analog chorus.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
ok well bogner it is then. ill post some pics and clips when i get it.

Thx guys
corgan33
399 IQ
I've heard bogners on stage before and the Triaxis can get extremely close with the bass shift on the power amp.
Gotta love 100+ channels too.
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
Quote by corgan33
I've heard bogners on stage before and the Triaxis can get extremely close with the bass shift on the power amp.
Gotta love 100+ channels too.

People very often underestimate the asskickery of the Triaxis.

To me the Uberschall is like a cross between a 5150 and a mesa/boogie rectifier, which is pretty close to the tone of a MK-IV or something as well, but alittle bit fatter.

In all honesty you shouldn't go out and purchase amps right away. You should spend as much time as possible trying them out before you buy because its no good to just WASTE a bunch of money on an amp you wont like.
nic_2090
One among the fence...
299 IQ
I've heard a ton of good things about the Mesa Triaxis. Although, I've heard quite a few Bogners, and they sound amazing. This is the way I'll put it:

If you want/need to have a nice, light overdrive rock tone, then you should probably go for the Mesa, although, the high-gain tones might not be quite as good (although, still amazing).

If you're ok with nice cleans, and a huge, full, and heavy distortion then the Bogner is a beast. And besides, if you decide that you do want a light overdrive tone, just run an overdrive pedal through the clean channel, and you got it. Also, the amazing high-gain tones that the Bogner give are a pretty good explanation of why it's so expensive.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
^ lol?

As if a bogner is a one trick pony or the mesa triaxis can only do low gain applications

You forget that the triaxis has channels modeled after the rectifier AND the mark-IV, both of which are nut-crushingly heavy.
Ka$h
the starcaster shredder
275 IQ
Syn im guessing you like avenged sevenfold? hence the amp and name? i might be entirely wrong though haha
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Quote by Ka$h
Syn im guessing you like avenged sevenfold? hence the amp and name? i might be entirely wrong though haha

Avenged Sevenfold are ok The name is actually from a video game

I chose the amp because i have tried alot of amps all the marshalls and peaveys. Randalls,Hughes n Kettner, Mesas. they all just dont seem to do it for me. I have unfortunatly never played the bogner or the Triaxis. and ive got a lot of money coming in (knock on wood) and im not gonna buy something if i dont adore it. i wish i had a chance to try some diezels(sp?) and Engl but im in america

The Recto was decent and i liked the JMP-1 nice classic crunch. but im looking for dark High Gain and i know the Bogners have Dark High Gain, but i am also appealed by the Triaxis because it has such a large array of tones it can cover
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You live in tampa.. there has gotta be one of each near you SOMEWHERE.

Guitar Center carry Diezel now..

What Are You Serious

If they do i love you forever for bestowing this knowledge on to me

ALL HAIL xxgenocide98xx
BlinkBlinkBlink
UG's Only Member Above 30
407 IQ
On the topic of Diezels, being an owner myself, i have 2 suggestions for you in terms of where to look. Im going to have to suggest the vh4, seeing as how i bought one for myself. The Herbert would i would also recommend, and i'll explain why in a bit. Both have great tone, but the vh4 has an extra channel that is just another increase in gain, tone is also different from the herbert, in terms of headroom i would suspect. Scroll down to my last paragraph if you dont want to read my story, but if you do, here it is:

I bought the vh4, and enjoyed it for a period of time. However, i did find the amp sounding much, much too dark for my liking. It was also lacking in some ways, but its hard to get my hands on what. I did a lot of tweaking, used an eq, and still could not get the sound i liked. So i returned it, got my money back, and set out to try and find a herbert. I did find one when i was vacationing in New York, and i thought it was absolutely fantastic, much better than the vh4 in my opinion. the tone was just a lot more fuller, and it wasn't as compressed sounding as the vh4. So i bought it on the spot and when i took it back home, i got a diezel 412 cab from my local store, the ONLY one, seeing as how the diezels were hard to get there.

If your too lazy to read that, ill summarize it for you: Vh4 - dark, much like an engl in some ways, with a compressed sound that you could get used to, depending on what amp you come from
Herbert - a lot fuller, a much better clean, and is supposedly built for metal, although it delivers much more

All else fails, you could look into Vht heads or soldano, which would probably still suit your musical tastes, although i've only tried soldano, and that was back when i was quite a big evh fan.
Good luck in finding your amp
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
thx guys Genocide do u have a kink about this diezel at guitar center thing
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
In all honesty you shouldn't go out and purchase amps right away. You should spend as much time as possible trying them out before you buy because its no good to just WASTE a bunch of money on an amp you wont like.

+1
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by BlinkBlinkBlink
On the topic of Diezels, being an owner myself, i have 2 suggestions for you in terms of where to look. Im going to have to suggest the vh4, seeing as how i bought one for myself. The Herbert would i would also recommend, and i'll explain why in a bit. Both have great tone, but the vh4 has an extra channel that is just another increase in gain, tone is also different from the herbert, in terms of headroom i would suspect. Scroll down to my last paragraph if you dont want to read my story, but if you do, here it is:

I bought the vh4, and enjoyed it for a period of time. However, i did find the amp sounding much, much too dark for my liking. It was also lacking in some ways, but its hard to get my hands on what. I did a lot of tweaking, used an eq, and still could not get the sound i liked. So i returned it, got my money back, and set out to try and find a herbert. I did find one when i was vacationing in New York, and i thought it was absolutely fantastic, much better than the vh4 in my opinion. the tone was just a lot more fuller, and it wasn't as compressed sounding as the vh4. So i bought it on the spot and when i took it back home, i got a diezel 412 cab from my local store, the ONLY one, seeing as how the diezels were hard to get there.

If your too lazy to read that, ill summarize it for you: Vh4 - dark, much like an engl in some ways, with a compressed sound that you could get used to, depending on what amp you come from
Herbert - a lot fuller, a much better clean, and is supposedly built for metal, although it delivers much more

All else fails, you could look into Vht heads or soldano, which would probably still suit your musical tastes, although i've only tried soldano, and that was back when i was quite a big evh fan.
Good luck in finding your amp

Didn't you make a thread when you got the VH4 saying how it was the best amp ever?

Also, the VH4 sounds nothing like an engl, IMO.

Quote by Syn Harvest
i wish i had a chance to try some diezels(sp?) and Engl but im in america

er, isn't rocksolidamps in florida? Granted, judging by you americans, Florida is probably the size of western europe + Africa (joke), but it's worth a shot... You could try out engl, framus, madison, and splawn there.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
^ i have never heard of this rocksolid amps do u have a link. also florida aint that big its only about 200 miles across at its widest. then from the south to north its abotu 500 miles
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Quote by Erock503

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/main.php

Rock Solid Amps
7300 S.W 16th St.
Plantation, Fl 33317

OMG This is near me

Ok now quicl question how does the Framus Dragon Sound in comparison to the Cobra

and how does The ENGL Savage Sound and the ENGL Savage SE
Last edited by Syn Harvest at Mar 22, 2006,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ I haven't tried them, but from what i hear the dragon is more organic, while the cobra is more metal, and has a few more options.

I don't think rocksolid have any savage se's, they've been discontinued.

Listen to the soundclips, they give a reasonable indication.

Also, I recommend downloading some manuals for the engls to familiarise yourself with them before you go: www.engl-amps.com

They're easy if you're familiar with them, but complex if you're not. It's very easy to not have it on the high gain setting, and then wonder why everyone thinks they're so heavy-sounding, lol.

for the savage, you want it on rough, and lead mode, with the gains up high on both crunch2 and lead channels (the gain on crunch 2 affects the gain on lead). You want to try as many amps as you can get your hands on there, though- powerball too- and try the se if you think you can try without having to buy, lol.

Quote by classicrocker01

Erock503
Gear \m/hore
1,629 IQ
I haven't gotten to try the Dragon or any ENGL's for tht matter unfortunately, but the Cobra is just supposed to be a souped up higher gain version of the Dragon from what I was told.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Bulletbass man
Banned
330 IQ
They're both great. I'd take the mesa for more channels oh. A channel for soloing is always a plus.
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
how would it sound if i used an AB switch and Run an Uberschall and Cobra together would it be smart
Erock503
Gear \m/hore
1,629 IQ
hehe, I don't know about smart, but definitely fun! That would be a badass setup to play through.

Personally though, if I was going to use 2 high quality amps on an A/B/Y, I would get one to cover cleans->blues->rock, then one of the rip your face off metal amps to cover the rest. That's just what I would do though, it's your loot, so do what's going to get you jazzed to play.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
^ Ya but if i got it i would layer a metal tone and have one just be deep and chunky and the other have a bit more mids and highs and overlap them
Erock503
Gear \m/hore
1,629 IQ
sure man, I didn't say it was stupid or anything. I really liked what corgan33 did with his JMP-1 and Triaxis. He just had a thread with both together, and I thought it sounded pretty badass.
amp clips
amp vids
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
ill search for it and see if it has what im looking for that sounds like a badass combination too
BlinkBlinkBlink
UG's Only Member Above 30
407 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
Didn't you make a thread when you got the VH4 saying how it was the best amp ever?

Hehe that might have been someone else....the only time i talked about that was when Ibanez4life was working on the concept of getting a mesa. And about the vh4 engl comparison, i was speaking mainly on the presence, although i may be dearly incorrect in saying so.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc

Seconded.

I agree with whoever it was saying you shouldn't spend that much money without checking the options first. For a metal amp check out the Engls, Diezels and stuff that's been mentioned before plus:

-Koch Powertone (I think that's the name of the metal one)
-Rivera Knucklehead (A sort of Recto vibe but way more versatile and with Fender-ish cleans)
-Soldano (Most models would do you fine personally I like the hot rod for heaviness but the choice is yours.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details