Page 5 of 111
Quote by Maet

For those who've heard Vapor Trails, what's your opinion on the production? It's a good album, but damned if those studio heads really fucked up in some places.

I havent heard it, but I have heard it is there heaviest album in a while...
The Vapor Trails production sucks, it's really distorted and could do with a lot of work. They were talking of remastering it but I don't think the original recordings exist anymore which would me completely rerecording it. There's a lot of issues with the album which is a shame because IMO it's actually one of the best things they've ever recorded.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Cool.

My last CD purchase, in fact, was Awake.

I haven't bought a CD ever.

I don't see why I should pay for things I can easily get for free.

Quote by Derigiberble
The Vapor Trails production sucks, it's really distorted and could do with a lot of work. They were talking of remastering it but I don't think the original recordings exist anymore which would me completely rerecording it. There's a lot of issues with the album which is a shame because IMO it's actually one of the best things they've ever recorded.

Indeed. The Stars Look Down, The Secret Touch, Earthshine, Sweet Miracle and Ceiling Unlimited are some of my favourite songs.

I find it quite funny that the title track has some of the worst production. For once, Alex Lifeson actually ruined a song with his guitar.
Quote by Maet
I haven't bought a CD ever.

I don't see why I should pay for things I can easily get for free.

I just like having the CD, so when the piles stack up I can show people my impressive collection.
I llike buying the DVD's. That's some hardcore fandom right there if you ask me.

If I ever feel like showing off my "impressive collection", I just open up iTunes or bust out the six spindles of a hundred CD's each that I have.
What can I say? I'm a pirate, through and through.

Take what you can, give nothing back.

EDIT --

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
That's pretty ****ty compared to mine.

I misread that. Do you burn as WAV, or mp3 or similarily compressed?
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
So what DVDs do you own, then?

Music DVD's, or everything (including TV Boxsets and Movies)?

My music DVD collection isn't that impressive, but I have ridiculous ammounts of TV.
I can tell you my Music DVD's easily, I just don't want to have to inventory on my TV DVD's until christmas.

Rush in Rio
R30
Rush Replay
Dream Theater, Live Scenes in New York
Dream Theater, Budokan
Rolling Stones 4 Flicks
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slane Castle
Oasis, Familiar To Millions
Foo Fighters, Everywhere But Home

That's all that come to mind right now. I might edit the rest later.
Quote by Derigiberble

Vapor Trails was flawed in the recording process. Things sound awfully loud and sort of distorted. It's a shame that the album had to come out that way . I am looking forward to their new album, though!
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Of those I only have R30, which is pretty awesome.
buy Replay and Rio now. Why don't other bands put out live recordings like Rush? Their live CDs and especially DVDs are generally great.

Quote by Maet

For those who've heard Vapor Trails, what's your opinion on the production? It's a good album, but damned if those studio heads really fucked up in some places.
great album, poor production.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by Maet
I misread that. Do you burn as WAV, or mp3 or similarily compressed?

I buy CDs from the store (well... I've bought about 10, the rest are actually my dad's CDs, but...), and then I have about 100-200 burned CDS.

Most of them are MP3 formatted onto CDs.
Just wondering. I compress everything and then burn them. So some CD's have 10 - 12 albums on them. The average would be about 9. Multiply that by 600, and I have around 5400 albums lying around.
uhhhh ok. someone said Alex Lifeson ruined a song with his guitar? thats one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. so whats everyones least favorite Rush song? I'm gonna go with Presto (though the CD is pretty good) and I think The Big Money is way overrated.
Quote by Maet
Just wondering. I compress everything and then burn them. So some CD's have 10 - 12 albums on them. The average would be about 9. Multiply that by 600, and I have around 5400 albums lying around.

Still less than me, but that's pretty awesome still.
Quote by Supreme WarHawk
uhhhh ok. someone said Alex Lifeson ruined a song with his guitar? thats one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. so whats everyones least favorite Rush song? I'm gonna go with Presto (though the CD is pretty good) and I think The Big Money is way overrated.

Subdivisions... the synth just drowns everything out in that song. There's almost no sign of any other instrument until you hear the bassline near the chorus (excluding Alex's solo, of course.) On the other hand, though, I really enjoy The Big Money.

Jacques
I agree.

I was surprised someone was actually able to tab out Subdivisions in its entirety because you really can't hear the guitar in that song.

I can hear the drums, but apart from the synth, that's basically it until (as you mentioned) the bass before the chorus and the guitar solo.
Quote by Supreme WarHawk
uhhhh ok. someone said Alex Lifeson ruined a song with his guitar? thats one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Have you even heard the song in question?
Quote by jac_murphy
Subdivisions... the synth just drowns everything out in that song. There's almost no sign of any other instrument until you hear the bassline near the chorus (excluding Alex's solo, of course.) On the other hand, though, I really enjoy The Big Money.

Jacques

I dunno, I like how the synth took the main role in that song. That's just my opinion though.

My least favorite Rush song..probably Lakeside Park or The Big Money.

PS

Does anyone know if Rush has announced any plans for a tour next year?
They've not announced tour dates yet but it seems likely as they're due a new album.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Quote by Derigiberble
They've not announced tour dates yet but it seems likely as they're due a new album.

Well, I remember hearing in an interview Geddy or Alex saying that for the past few albums Neil didn't want to tour, but decided to anyway.

I hope they do though. They came like 30 minutes from me last tour (before i liked them..)
From Wikipedia:

Future plans

During promotional interviews for the R30 Live In Frankfurt DVD, the band revealed their intention to return to the studio in early 2006. However, in January Peart comfirmed that they expected writing and recording to take up most of the year. In September, it was announced that the band had secured producer Nick Raskulinecz and engineer Rick Chycki for a new studio album. Chycki has worked previously with Rush on the R30 DVD, while Lifeson later revealed that the band would be co-producing and there would be eleven songs on the album. Preproduction would be completed by the end of October and recording should have commenced by November. Peart has stated the theme of the album will be based on his personal reflections of faith.
Quote by CornLord

I just got 2112 and Moving Pictures, and both are amazing. Lifeson and Lee are fantastic, and Peart is a genious.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Quote by Maet

i bet you have a bunch of Zeppelin and Hendrix.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I'd love to see Rush live. I hope that they do tour.

They'll tour. It's just a matter or when. Hopefully they'll have the album out towards the middle of next year, for a possible tour around the late-summer/fall? That'd be nice.
Quote by Thefallofman
geddy lee is a girl
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Quote by FreddieMercury
geddy lee is a girl

Geddy Lee is as girly as Freddie Mercury is straight.

Quote by BrainDamage
They'll tour. It's just a matter or when. Hopefully they'll have the album out towards the middle of next year, for a possible tour around the late-summer/fall? That'd be nice.

A new album has been in the talks for a while. But at this point, my patience is wearing thin. I don't think I can wait much longer than a year.

Quote by I Play Guitar!
i bet you have a bunch of Zeppelin and Hendrix.

Unfortunately. I dislike those two with a passion.
Quote by FreddieMercury
geddy lee is a girl

freddie mercury is a girl...shut your mouth
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by Maet

A new album has been in the talks for a while. But at this point, my patience is wearing thin. I don't think I can wait much longer than a year.
true, they did say many times that they expect to be in the studio by the end of this year, so it seems like it's very likely to be recorded soon.
Quote by Thefallofman
I'd like it to be released early next year, but if waiting another year means better sound quality, better lyrics, more songs, and so forth I'd rather wait.