Page 5 of 7
I'm surprised I haven't posted here before. Summoning are fucking amazing! My favourites are Dol Guldur, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, and Stronghold, in that order. Minas Morgul is a great album as well.

Damn though, no other band has the same atmosphere as Summoning.

Quote by The Kreator
1. Binge on Summoning.
2. Don't listen to them for months
3. Listen again
4. Profit

So true, lol.
Last edited by AzureNight at Sep 8, 2010,
Been on such a HUGE Summoning binge lately. Land of the Dead is so beautiful.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Ok, i'm gonna try to bump this again xD I have always been a huge LotR fan, and I recently decided that I wanted to delve deeper into Tolkien's world. So, I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Fantasy-Reader-Silmarillion-Unfinished/dp/0345466462/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299341763&sr=8-4

I am very excited to start reading The Silmarillion, and since I am home sick from work today, today will be a perfect day of Summoning and reading. What's everyone's opinion on this book?
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

Never read it, but I'm a huge fan of The Hobbit an the LOTR trilogy. The movies are amazing too, but just can't compare to the books IMO. I might have to get that box set myself.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
I agree, the books are better. However, I also think Peter Jackson did an excellent job with the movies, and I enjoy all of them very much.

Doing any activity, be it cleaning, commuting or studying; no matter how mundane it is, Summoning will make it epic.
Waking up to South Away every morning ftw
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Behind Blind Guardian, yes
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by MoogleRancha
Summoning > BG

all day

never thought i'd ever make a comparison between the two but I kinda agree, not by much though
I have to agree. I love BG, but Summoning captures the LOTR themes perfectly
LastFM

The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold
Summoning are on another level; they are their own genre of music. How can Blind Guardian even be compared to them?
Yeah, Summoning is so much better, there's no band that has tred to replicate the scope and majesty of their music, with BG you'll have a myriad of clones, perhaps not very good clones, but the point is that their music is far more easily replicated than what Summoning produce.
Quote by MoogleRancha
Summoning > BG

Every day and twice on sunday

fix'd
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Dagor Bragollach is such a perfect fight song.

Quote by MoogleRancha
Summoning > BG

all day

The two evoke such different manifestations of Tolkiens work that I would never be able to judge them against each other. It just doesn't compute.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
^ Fair point.

Hopefully their new album is magnificent, whenever it comes out.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
How is it possible to compare bands as different as Summoning and Blind Guardian? I mean I can't pick one I enjoy more, but I do spend more time listening to BG total.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Gonna have to agree with Vag and Clyde on this one.

Thematically they both portray a dedication to LOTR, but musically, completely different realms. I guess we can compare the atmosphere each creates, but really, it stems from difference in musical qualities regardless.

To say the least, Hansi is also a sexier motherfucker than Protector and Silenius.
Quote by beadhangingOne
FAR FAAAR AWAAAYY
BEYOND MIGHT OF DAYYYY

There needs to be a dedicated holiday where everybody just listens to this song on repeat.

Oh god welcome to the club!

lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by beadhangingOne
FAR FAAAR AWAAAYY
BEYOND MIGHT OF DAYYYY

There needs to be a dedicated holiday where everybody just listens to this song on repeat.

That is one of the most magnificent five minutes of music ever. Well, really, the whole goddamn song is, but the end specifically...

I might even go so far as to rate it ahead of Ukraine, by a hair's breadth...
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Jul 14, 2011,
Updates on new album from official website:
We now have finished the composing and selection process of the songs for the new albums (7 songs and one intro). All songs that did not find the way to the album will hopefully be released on future limited releases. In the next months we will record the already composed guitar lines and work on the lyrical concept of the album.

We also collected some paintings for the new album and will work on the visual concept from now on. We hope to be finished with everything untill the end of the year, so that the album can be released by Napalm Records in the first quater of the year 2013.

We also have the news from Napalm Records that in the end of this year there will be a vinyl release of some older Summoning releases. More details soon.

In the end of the year we will make a big relaunch of our homepage, featuring pictures of all the missing releases (LPs, side projects, t-shirts), a reaktivation of the forum and a tribute section where people can link their summoning covers. But of course at the moment the work for the album has absolute priority.

I'm only speculating at this point, but it seems pretty clear to me that this album will FUCKING RULE! The real question is how much so? Will it reach or beat the bar set by Engram, or will it merely be better than everything else out there? I eagerly await this monument to transcendental perfection... no homo.
This is excellent news.

Considering the last few efforts, I can assume they will continue in similar fashion, which was nothing short of high pedigree.

Very keen.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
This is excellent news.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked, brah. I'm hoping for some crunchy bangin' tunes.

Some pretty kool brahsky made this wishlist a little while back:
I am excited as hell about the new Summoning. A few requests, if anyone is listening:

(1) Vary the melodies. Within each song. Like how on Ancient Trolltaar melodies go from dark to happy. Possibly even vary key! There are other helpful scales for the fills.
(2) Vary the song structures more. They're getting a bit formulaic. It's better to go full Tolkien and use visual or symbolic representations, then hammer them into a comfortable sound.
(3) More stuff in old Elvish or the Black Tongue of Mordor.
(4) Consider more Tangerine Dream like stuff where the drums get dropped or you get some true ambience
(5) Consider more organic sounds
(6) Consider an instrumental track or two, maybe longer tracks. Will Summoning ever do something like Metallica's "Orion," which has now been covered by two dozen non-metal bands and is still cited by many as a massive influence?
(7) Don't try to be current. Stick with what made black metal great.

And remember, SUMMONING is not a fascist band!

I think this is sage advice from a rather bodacious brah.
I downloaded Nightshade Forests today. My first one from these guys, and man it's good. Especially to play Minecraft to!
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
New album has leaked.

Old Mornings Dawn is primarily a merger of the approaches on Oath Bound and Stronghold with maybe a little Minas Morgul in there.

It's another solid release. I can't say they've ever been able to recapture the greatness achieved on Dol Guldur, but that's a high bar. I've always wished there were slightly more motion to their pieces, but ultimately it's still well done. They are basically a band that can do no wrong.
there's only a 198kps rip out there people, don't get tempted, i'm waiting until a v0 comes out or for the album to be in my mailbox
Quote by illuminatiano
there's only a 198kps rip out there people, don't get tempted, i'm waiting until a v0 comes out or for the album to be in my mailbox

I can respect this but not this. If you're going to try before you buy, don't engage in the proliferation of free, high quality music files. Sampling the music ahead of time should give you a general idea of what the album is about, not effectively a free experience of the real deal. I really only support 'pirating' low quality mp3s of music that is available for purchase. High quality music files (e.g. FLAC) should be used for out of print or otherwise free material.

But whatever, do what you want. I'm not a narc.
I listened to the new album, and it is most certainly good. I'm slowly working my way from Dol Guldur back up to it another listen to it, but it is definitely a worthy album to add to their string of other great releases.

Now,

The Bard's Song or Land of the Dead? Can you even decide between these two? This question does not make sense.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
That is not a difficult decision at all, haha. You're trying to make a distinction about how different they are and you've succeeded, but if I was forced at gunpoint for whatever unfortunate reasons, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Land of the Dead is easily the greatest song to have ever existed.
^Yes Severed, but you're obviously a wanker; thus, you are wrong. Land of the Dead is brilliant, but The Bard's Song is a timeless account of a bygone era; it is a true testament to the power of song and verse to transport mere mortals to a realm far beyond your reality. Plus it's really fun to sing along to at BG's concerts.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Any other time I'd probably say The Bard's Song, but I guess I've been in a "10+ minute, epic black metal song" mood lately. Land of the Dead is of such a larger scale than The Bard's Song. I don't know what's to gain from comparing the two though. They have completely different goals pretty much. If a power metaller sees a black metaller in the woods hes to draw sword.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?