Page 1 of 3
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
Okay I may get some **** for this cos i'm new and some of you may think this is a crap idea,but I wanted to know what non-Punk bands are liked by Punk Rockers. You see My record collection pretty much consists of Punk stuff, however with some exceptions. I Like Johnny Cash loads,The Who,The Kinks and for some reason i Kind of like Nine inch Nails (maybe cos my girlfriends a fan). I like some Folk and Reggae too. Tell me what you thinks cool thats not Punk
fcktheD
10 IQ
bob marley. he is one of my top 5 favorite musical artist's ever
aaron13
The ****ing goonies.
1,636 IQ
metalcore i love that pretty much anything thats different
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
waterproofpie
breakfast connoisseur
2,962 IQ
I listen to a bunch of not punk stuff.

I also enjoy stuff like (without listing ska/reggae):
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Beastie Boys
Lauryn Hill
Louis Armstrong
the Gorillaz
Fiona Apple
Motorhead
Beck
Chuck Berry
the Coral
13th Floor Elevators
the Doors
MC5
Joy Division
Johnny Cash

/me lost 100000 punk points
foil1212
Just one in the crowd
11 IQ
I dont know if you consider the dead milkmen punk, but I consider them retard-rock (in a good way)

but yeah, theyre awesome
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
Yeah I forgot I Like Beastie boys,The Doors and Motorhead too. I also like Bob Dylan,especially his folk stuff.The electric stuffs good but not as good the folk stuff in my opinion.
foil1212
Just one in the crowd
11 IQ
I love most metal. Particularly hardcore. Some oldies, some classic rock. Etc etc.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
I like The Doors, NWA, Ween, Primus, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Thelonious Monk, Pavement, Queen, Kanye West, The Cash-man, Ted Leo, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, among others.
travel sized
Let's Pretend You're Cool
114 IQ
My favorite non punk bands are: The Beatles, The Stray Cats, Mindless Self Indulgence, Chuck Berry, classical, jazz, The Cars, the Doors, Shiney Toy Guns, Elvis Presely, and plenty more.
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
newyorkdolls138
min
681 IQ
Chuck Berry
Elvis Costello
Bob Marley
Johnny Cash
I L0\/3-0Rz They might be giants
Jizz is where it is
Manos15
Doug
2,088 IQ
Johnny Cash
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allman Brothers
Run DMC
Beastie Boys
Nobuo Uematso
Doors
CCR
Talking Heads
Alice Cooper
the Animals
Buddy Guy
Last edited by Manos15 at Mar 26, 2006,
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
A lot of my favorite non-punk music has been mentioned, but I restate them.

Bob Marley
Black Sheep
Chuck Berry
Creedance Clearwater
The Jam
NWA
Rocket from the Crypt
Public Enemy
Elvis Costello
Johnny Cash
Talking Heads

Surf music is probably my favorite non-punk genre.
o-brien
citizen solider
59 IQ
The Tragically Hip, Ted Leo, Queen, the Mountain Goats, CCR, BTO, Dungen, Woody Guthrie.
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
Here's everyone I have listed on my MySpace without the punks:

AC/DC, Aerosmith, BB King, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, George Benson, Chuck Berry, Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Body Count, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Dave Brubeck, Roy Buchanan, Steve Caballero, Larry Carlton, John Coltrane, Robert Cray, Cream, Dick Dale, The Darkness, The Datsuns, Miles Davis, Deep Purple, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Dream Theater, Bob Dylan, Filter, Dizzy Gillespie, Goldfinger, Green Day (Yes really), Guns N' Roses, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, The Hives, Hoobastank, Lightnin' Hopkins, Immortal Technique, Iron Maiden, Jet, Eric Johnson, Robert Johnson, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Los Lonely Boys, Paco de Lucia, Bob Marley, John McLaughlin, Al di Meola, MC5, Metallica, Thelonius Monk, Wes Montgomery, Motorhead, N.W.A., North Mississippi Allstars, Oasis, Odd Man Out, OutKast, Outskirts of Infinity, Pantera, Charlie Parker, Pink Floyd, Puddle of Mudd, Rage Against the Machine, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rid of Me, The Rolling Stones, The Roots, Run-D.M.C., Joe Satriani, John Scofield, The Scorpions, Shovelhead, Sleater-Kinney, Stone Temple Pilots, Subhumans, Super Cool Tough Guys, UFO, Velvet Revolver, Weezer
Punk Rocker
I love amp
2,674 IQ
umm classic rock and some metal
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
I like all kinds of folk music... especially from the Appalachian Mountains... but none of that hippie bull****. I some non punk bands I like: A Silver Mount Zion, Jack Oblivian (solo), Japanische Kampfhorspiele, Jawbreaker, Phil Ochs, The Kind of Jazz Music that Kills, King Khan and BBQ Show, King Khan and his Shins, Mahi Mahi, James Chance and the Contortions, The Mountain Goats, Neutral Milk Hotel, Northstar, Ozma, The Parvarim Refugeez, The Streets, The Pine Hill Haints, The Postal Service (but I ****ing hate Death Cab for Cutie), Public Image Ltd., Q and Not U, Television and of course I like Power Violence, Grind, Crust, HC, and most of the offshoots of punk rock.... I think I'm pretty well rounded musically. oops, I forgot the Good Life and Cursive.... great bands.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Last edited by whyvern at Mar 26, 2006,
Wookiedude
Unregistered User
62 IQ
Rockabilly? I also like alot of alt-country music like Wilco, BR-549, and Steve Earl. Not shitty pop country like Garth Brooks and Brad Paisley. Hank Williams III rules too. I saw him last year and im going to see him again this week. He plays a lot of old-timey stuff but he also throws in punk like black flag.
waterproofpie
breakfast connoisseur
2,962 IQ
Quote by whyvern
I like all kinds of folk music... especially from the Appalachian Mountains... but none of that hippie bull****. I some non punk bands I like: A Silver Mount Zion, Jack Oblivian (solo), Japanische Kampfhorspiele, Jawbreaker, Phil Ochs, The Kind of Jazz Music that Kills, King Khan and BBQ Show, King Khan and his Shins, Mahi Mahi, James Chance and the Contortions, The Mountain Goats, Neutral Milk Hotel, Northstar, Ozma, The Parvarim Refugeez, The Streets, The Pine Hill Haints, The Postal Service (but I ****ing hate Death Cab for Cutie), Public Image Ltd., Q and Not U, Television and of course I like Power Violence, Grind, Crust, HC, and most of the offshoots of punk rock.... I think I'm pretty well rounded musically. oops, I forgot the Good Life and Cursive.... great bands.

Oh man,
Good list.

(And I thought I was gonna be called a pussy if I put that I liked Cursive!)
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
DEVO
New Order
Duran Duran
Ultravox
Trans-X
Classix Nouvaux
A-Ha
Blondie
T. Rex
Culture Club
David Bowie
The Smiths
The Cure
The Adverts
Joy Division
The Killers
AFI
Johnny Cash
Stray Cats
Nikola Tesla
As Astrea Falls

...Most of the stuff I like isn't punk, now that you mention it.
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
Motorhead, trivium, Johnny Cash are a few to name.
phobos
Ed
327 IQ
Quote by waterproofpie
I listen to a bunch of not punk stuff.

I also enjoy stuff like (without listing ska/reggae):
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Beastie Boys
Lauryn Hill
Louis Armstrong
the Gorillaz
Fiona Apple
Motorhead
Beck
Chuck Berry
the Coral
13th Floor Elevators
the Doors
MC5

Joy Division
Johnny Cash

/me lost 100000 punk points

huzzah! not to the lost punk points...

i love classical music and i'm semi-self-trained in classical piano, if that even makes sense...so i'm all for Chopin especially. and i'm with sargasm...a lot more of the music i like isn't punk...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
damn-right!
good for nothin'
1,643 IQ
Quote by newyorkdolls138
They might be giants

great band.

I'm also a big fan of suede, pulp, the beautiful south, gang of four, boomtown rats, stevie ray vaughan and most recently pop crooner jack johnson
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
I think The Cure are good,but i can't think for the life of me what the name of that song is. It's on the Crow film. Does anyone know the name of it?
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
^ Cure song on the Crow is called "Burn".

I listen to alot of bands that aren't considered punk, but the songs that I like by them could be considered punk songs.

Such as....
CCR's "Sweet Hitchhiker" and "Prodigal Son"
Lords of the New Church's "New Church" and "Lil Boys Play With Dolls"
Blue Oyster Cult's "Transmaniacon MC" and "This Ain't The Summer Of Love"
Alice Cooper's "Under My Wheels" and "Elected"
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
^ Cure song on the Crow is called "Burn".

DUH! what a dumb f**k I am some times.Thanx man.that songs great. The Waterboys, Jake Burns (from SLF) solo stuff,
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Quote by sargasm
DEVO
New Order
Duran Duran
Ultravox
Trans-X
Classix Nouvaux
A-Ha
Blondie
T. Rex
Culture Club
David Bowie
The Smiths
The Cure
The Adverts
Joy Division
The Killers
AFI
Johnny Cash
Stray Cats
Nikola Tesla
As Astrea Falls

...Most of the stuff I like isn't punk, now that you mention it.

I consider the bands I highlighted to have early material that is definitely punk.

BTW, big ups for not considering AFI punk.

Was interested in the Nikola Tesla thing.
Do you listen to the 80's hair metal band Tesla,
or does the spirit of Nikola Telsa come and sing the secrets of electromagnetics to you?
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
A lot of people have said Johnny cash. Anyone like the movie? you know the funny thing is,as I am writing this my mums got Johnny cash on downstairs.
Punk-ska-guy
Crazier than GG
21 IQ
i confess, Cypress hill and snoop dog....dont forget Run dmc
A prison ship lies waiting in the bay
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
Quote by johnnynemo
I consider the bands I highlighted to have early material that is definitely punk.

BTW, big ups for not considering AFI punk.

Was interested in the Nikola Tesla thing.
Do you listen to the 80's hair metal band Tesla,
or does the spirit of Nikola Telsa come and sing the secrets of electromagnetics to you?

There's a metalcore band in calgary called Nikola Tesla
NOFX-AquaCrack
335 IQ
i would say all beatles, grateful dead, metallica, megadeth, NILE, and decapitated.

I dont know why but i love death metal...i think its cause im a drummer and the drums are insane!
I HATE EMOI HATE EMO
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Wait, so DEVO isn't punk anymore?

I'm so confused! (Is it 'casue of the cookie commercial?)

Either way I enjoy Devo. (just not that commercial)