Page 1 of 2
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Any opinions ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
I think he's amazing, although to me he sounds alot like Malmsteen with some of the things he does but regardless he is a very good player... I really like Symphony X so yeah, good guitarist.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
SlashHammett
Wannbe Shredder
348 IQ
amazing... he reminds me of Peter Kay with long hair for some reason
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
I really like him, Love Symphony X and I love watching him play. Everything he plays seems so effortless and smooth.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Smokey Amp
Run.Stop.Fierce.
1,077 IQ
Heh heh. It's funny you should mention him. I'm listening to The Divine Wings of Tradegy right now!

I think Romeo is a really good guitarist, very melodic, but at the same time can shred his fingers off...I also think his tone is awesome, nice and chunky.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Neon Knight
727 IQ
hes nothing special, hes very talented but fairly boring at times.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Last edited by Neon Knight at Mar 27, 2006,
Smokey Amp
Run.Stop.Fierce.
1,077 IQ
Quote by Neon Knight
nothing special, hes very talented but fairly boring at times.

And you said that with an Iron Maiden avatar in your profile...

Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Smokey Amp
And you said that with an Iron Maiden avatar in your profile...

did i compare him to anyone, did I ever say that Dave Murry could kick his ass? No, i said that he sometimes bores me, its called an opinion dumbass, learn to respect it.

I do like some of his stuff though, he just dosent click with me.
Last edited by Neon Knight at Mar 27, 2006,
scheck006
202 IQ
it seems that whenever someone has a classical influence they're labeled as a malsteen clone. I think romeo is 10x more interesting to listen to than malmsteen.

his solos are epic, the one in accolade ii is one of my all time favs
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Great flair.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Smokey Amp
Run.Stop.Fierce.
1,077 IQ
Quote by Neon Knight
did i compare him to anyone, did I ever say that Dave Murry could kick his ass? No, i said that he sometimes bores me, its called an opinion dumbass, learn to respect it.

I do like some of his stuff though, he just dosent click with me.

I didn't mean because he's "better" than Dave Murray. I mean Iron Maiden as a group are boring and repetative, that not an opinion, that's fact. C5 D5 & E5, anyone?

I do like Iron Maiden, but I wont tolerate saying another artist is boring when they listen to one of the mosst repetative bands on the planet. I'd respect your opinion if you weren't a hypocrite.

Igorek
(.)(.)
10 IQ
He is awsome, his tapping is so fluent and clean...
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Smokey Amp
I didn't mean because he's "better" than Dave Murray. I mean Iron Maiden as a group are boring and repetative, that not an opinion, that's fact. C5 D5 & E5, anyone?

I do like Iron Maiden, but I wont tolerate saying another artist is boring when they listen to one of the mosst repetative bands on the planet. I'd respect your opinion if you weren't a hypocrite.

I cant tell you the last time i listened to Maiden, i got bored of them, I get bored of all artists every once and a while and it takes me a few weeks or months to get back into them.

Notice in my post i said he is fairly boring AT TIMES, I'm not always bored with him, infact he has a few songs that i very much like, I just find alot of his other stuff unintresting.
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Quote by Smokey Amp

arent you the hypocrit if your bitching your opinions at him for having opinions? just let it be. We want peace.
canadianshred
Exoticness
10 IQ
Michael Romeo=pwnazage
Quote by A7xownz
o im gonna ban tupperware
A post from the former shred forums favorite mod

Member#10 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join.
paddyo
?
340 IQ
He kicks major Bollox if I may say so. His fluidity is on par with the greats easily.
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
shredfan
UG Member
111 IQ
Really like the guys style (and by that I don't mean his fashion sense ). Great allround shred/metal player- distinctive sound, great technique, licks, tone you name it. Really looking forward to the next Symphony X album.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
canadianshred
Exoticness
10 IQ
yes, that's out this year isn't it!?!
Quote by A7xownz

perpetual shred
UG Newbie
402 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
yup, havent really got into em though. Any reccomendations, more on the metal side?

yeah, rhapsody play alot of bull**** but some of their songs are awesome. luca turelli is awesome. statovarious are pretty good. not very heavy though and there singer can go as high as a kite
markenator
UG's Yngwie fan
235 IQ
michael romeo is awesome. i dont think he copies malmsteen but he has the same style as malmsteen and he does a lot more legato runs+tapping than yngwie
Member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join

I like chicken

My Gear:
Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez JS100
Jay Turser JT-300
VOX AD50VT
Digitech RP14D
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Quote by perpetual shred
yeah, rhapsody play alot of bull**** but some of their songs are awesome. luca turelli is awesome. statovarious are pretty good. not very heavy though and there singer can go as high as a kite

now stratovarious i like, damn theyve got some good ****.
perpetual shred
UG Newbie
402 IQ
jens johanssonn is an awesome keyboardist. i forget the name of their guitarist but he's pretty awesome too.
Robbie n strat
Dig it.
457 IQ
Symphony X are my favourite band, and Michael Romeo my favourite guitarist. Personally, I've never thought that he sounded like Malmsteen. In my opinion, Romeo has his own style. Symphony X are a very melodic band, and also because it's progressive you have parts which you're just not expecting and make you think about music in new ways.
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
^ agree.

Altough they may use some of the same modes/scales Romeo IMO uses more variation in the modes and styles and techiques.

Great band. Awsome Musicans.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
^u don't show up very much these days , are u working on an album ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
gtgram14
Hippymusicshredfestival
521 IQ
IMO Romeo is a little underrated, just cause someone on occasion uses the harmonic minor scale doesnt make them a malmsteen clone. I think romeo wipes his ass with Yngwie. Like others have said he is a very melodic soloer but christ that guy's fingers are fast. At times though Symphony X's stuff is pretty DT ish. The singer kinda sounds alike as well. The song Awakenings, In my opinion kicks ass, but it could have easily been on a dream theater album.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
^Michael Romeo is often compared to John Petrucci but i think that romeo beats petrucci in technical terms
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
Reemster
Vanilla Ice look-alike
21 IQ
Quote by gtgram14
IMO Romeo is a little underrated, just cause someone on occasion uses the harmonic minor scale doesnt make them a malmsteen clone. I think romeo wipes his ass with Yngwie. Like others have said he is a very melodic soloer but christ that guy's fingers are fast. At times though Symphony X's stuff is pretty DT ish. The singer kinda sounds alike as well. The song Awakenings, In my opinion kicks ass, but it could have easily been on a dream theater album.

I also think that he's an underrated player, but I don't think that Russel Allen kind of sounds like Labrie. Not at all actually...

Anyway, for those who like SX ( or Romeo's playing), here's the first part of a concert they did in Montreal a few years back. Quality is reasonable, and gets better as the concert progresses. It's a strange file name ( taken from a VCD), and if it doesn't open you just have to open it with WMP yourself ( or whatever it is you use).
If people like it I'll post the second half as well.
Enjoy!

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0CY6SRZ43FFH5053DCJ3ZYN8TT
Quote by rank-n-file
Spannious And The Homos has a nice ring to it.
or try the band name generator.

Quote by Resiliance
Where was I wrong? I WAS NEVER WRONG!

YOU WANT A WARNING BITCH?
shredfan
UG Member
111 IQ
Yeah, it is kind of annoying when people label anyone who uses the harmonic minor scale a Yngwie rip-off. It's not like he invented the scale and patented it for his use only.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
gtgram14
Hippymusicshredfestival
521 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
^Michael Romeo is often compared to John Petrucci but i think that romeo beats petrucci in technical terms

Agreed, Though I tend to like petrucci's music more, especially his non DT stuff like suspended animation and all the LTE albums, technically i think romeo's a bit more solid. For an example Petrucci doesnt seem to sweep nearly as much, and when he sweeps live its way sloppier than what he records. Romeo from what ive heard is pretty much flawless, all the time. BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by gtgram14
Agreed, Though I tend to like petrucci's music more, especially his non DT stuff like suspended animation and all the LTE albums, technically i think romeo's a bit more solid. For an example Petrucci doesnt seem to sweep nearly as much, and when he sweeps live its way sloppier than what he records. Romeo from what ive heard is pretty much flawless, all the time. BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.

I think petrucci's sloppyness is due to the "buzz" of being on stage, it happens to me to, i get seriously anxious when playing for people and i end up playing sloppier than i usally play.

I think I am going to look into more of his stuff, I havent really given him (MR) much of a second chance.
Reemster
Vanilla Ice look-alike
21 IQ
Quote by gtgram14
BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.

I don't have any live albums of theirs ( original or bootleg) but if you're into live footage I suggest you read my previous post, which is two posts above yours
Quote by rank-n-file
Spannious And The Homos has a nice ring to it.
or try the band name generator.

Quote by Resiliance
Where was I wrong? I WAS NEVER WRONG!

YOU WANT A WARNING BITCH?
perpetual shred
UG Newbie
402 IQ
Quote by Neon Knight
I think petrucci's sloppyness is due to the "buzz" of being on stage, it happens to me to, i get seriously anxious when playing for people and i end up playing sloppier than i usally play.

I think I am going to look into more of his stuff, I havent really given him (MR) much of a second chance.

i agree, sometime i just play **** anyway like today ive been playin **** we recorded a version of the wicker man (iron maiden) we wern't at our best

have a gander if ya like

http://shredmaster.dmusic.com/
mingles
I am beautiful
864 IQ
he's just a killer guitarist. Awsome style and technique.
Read my post. Not this.
canadianshred
Exoticness
10 IQ
Anyone happen to have his instramental CD??

Jut got it today, got some wicked stuff on it.
Quote by A7xownz

apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by Freepower
Romeo is teh awesome.

That pretty much sums it up.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join