Page 4 of 24
Well in that case, if ur ears aren't trained.. go to a guitar shop and rate the guitars on how they "feel". Is the action too high (action being height between strings and fretboard)? Does the neck feel too wide/narrow? Can u slide up and down the neck with ease?
Okay, a couple of points after additional research. First, if you want to order from Long & McQuade and you live in the U.S., don't bother. I looked them up because they are listed in the first post as having the A&L GT for $250. I called the closest store, Toronto, and talked to a guy named Paul who took some information and called me back.

Current price: $295 CDN (at current exchange rated, approx. $266 USD)
Shipping: $160 CDN.

Plus chuck in $70 for the case. I got a quote from a local store to special order the GT for $350 (case included I believe). I think no matter how you look at it, the A&L GT is pushing the bounds of <$300 for everyone but people who live in Canada. I'm on a pretty limited budget this may be just outside of my current upper limit. I'm sure one of the other guitars in the first post will be about as good.
Last edited by ysaric at Jun 21, 2006,
If you live in the U.S., or even Canada, and you can save up a bit more cash, I would suggest getting a Taylor. I have one, and it is awesome. Check them out at http://www.taylorguitars.com You can get a Big Baby, which is 15/16 the size of a normal guitar, for $528.00 U.S. See if you can't find a dealer.
O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

Bell Ringer of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join
^--- yeah and for $550 you can get a full size guitar from another company that will sound just as good, if not better. irregardless though, this is the UNDER 300 thread
^- I was just giving an alternative, but hey, I guess you were right.
O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

I have a Baby, a Big Baby, and some others.

^-- a buddy of mine that works as a travel director has a baby taylor that he takes all over the country with him and that thing is sweeeet!

"and some others" <-- how many friggin taylors do you own?
Quote by jimtaka
^-- a buddy of mine that works as a travel director has a baby taylor that he takes all over the country with him and that thing is sweeeet!

"and some others" <-- how many friggin taylors do you own?

I own about 5, all various models. But my Baby is my favourite.

Well, I share some with my step-dad. I have three that are personally mine (a Baby, a Big Baby, and a new T5), and then my step-dad has four (I don't know which models). So instead of buying more guitars for ourselves, my mom said that we have to share because my basement is full of guitars.

^-- hahaha that's pretty awesome. how do you like that t5? a friend of mine is a taylor fanatic and has bought 3 of them so far, but he lives across the country so i haven't had a chance to play one yet. he loves them! which t5 do you have?
For a guitar under 300$ i would recomend a garrison, they sound good play very well and i personally think they smell good (inside joke with a close friend) i have an Ovation electric acoustic i paid 50 dollars for and i found out its worth over 1500 dollars. So dont knock used guitars, just watch what your buying and know your music.
any particular models from garrison that you have experience with and would reccomend?
well like i said, it was my friends guitar and i never really took the time to check, so i really have no idea, i suppose your best bet would to just shop around.
I started playing guitar on an Art and Luthrie about 5 years ago, it ran about $245 cdn. It was a great guitar to begin with, however, i have recently added two more acoustics to my collection; both being Crafter guitars.

The Crafter D6/N is a great begginer guitar and has unbelievable sound. The action is pretty impressive for a guitar in the $300 dollar range as well.

They are definately worth checking out!

Oh yah, i totally agree with the Tak comment....under $800 they're not worth it!
Anyone have experience with the Washburn D10SCE?

I checked one out the other day at the local shop and was very impressed.

I also am interested in the Takamine G340SC but it isn't available locally.

They're about the same price. The guy at the local shop had some Takamines in the $700 range, but he said he prefers the Washburn D10SCE to those!!

So I have a decision to make - buy the D10SCE which I was able to see and hear firsthand, or go with Takamine's reputation (despite what the guy at the shop said).

What sayeth you guitar sages?
i'd go with the guitar that i could play before i bought it myself.... especially considering you don't seem to have been able to even find anybody that has played that tak model.
Fullerton, it's 100 bucks, and it has a pickup installed. Not bad sounding either.
A good accoustic thats not ridiculously expensive is a Crusier model By Crafter, i got mine for £120 convert that into dollars if your in The U.S.A im sure it'll come underneath $300. Wont it?
In The Car I Just Cant Wait . . To Pick You Up On Our Very First Date
Last edited by Conormck at Jul 21, 2006,
i got the yamaha fg700s let me tell u for 200 this guitar is a steel everything on it is durable it stays in tune the tone and sound of this guitar is out of this world it provides a deep rich full sound that should be coming from a 500+ dollar guitar definate buy
^ nice. Thats the best bang for the buck guitar out right now IMO.

Just a reminder to people suggesting other guitars. Please include:

a) Make and model of guitar (ex. Yamaha FG700s)
b) Price and source ($199 @ musiciansfriend.com)
c) Picture of the guitar.
I didn't want to make a new thread for this so I think I can ask it here...
I recently played around with some acoustic/electric guitars at my local Guitar Center and I found Ovation guitars have a great sound/feel and I'm thinking about buying one, but here's my problem. I played 3 or 4 different models ranging in price from $299 - $999 I did fell and hear some difference, but it didn't seem big enough to make to much difference down the line seeing as all I'm really looking for is a guitar to mess around on in my spare time and something that can travel easy (already have my fair share of electrics). So finally my question is it worth buying a $600 or $1000 guitar when I can get similar sound and feel from a $300 one? If you read all that, thanks.
So Your Sickness Weighs A Ton And God's Name Is Smack For Some
God Smack by Alice in Chains

those boys in Mother Love Bone... They're like soup, they're like nothing bad
Holy Roller by Mother Love Bone

RIP Layne Staley and Andrew Wood
The Takamine GS330s are BY FAR the best out of this lot and any other lot of acoustic guitars. I went to Guitar Center yesterday and tried out almost every guitar there, acoustics ranging from $200 to $900, and trust me when I say that that this GS330s is the best out of any of these guitars I've tried and is definately great for the price. Its resonance and tone are amazing. I bought it immediatly.
Can anyone suggest a good (real wood) electro acustic for under $300. Preferably one without a cut away and most definately not bowlback. I made another thread but that was locked but im looking for an ELECTRO acoustic and this thread seems to be a acoustic thread.

So far ive come up with a yamaha apx 5a, although its not ideal as i prefer 000 shape bodies and no cut aways.

Can you guys help me?

Thankyou,
J.
^ If you mean all solid wood, then I'm afraid you'll have to spend at least $700.
Not sure if this guitar has been mentioned, but I have a Encore E402B Steel String Acoustic which cost me £80 from my local store, and it has a nice sound to it. So if your looking for a very cheap guitar with a good sound, pick up the Encore E402B.
I know just about nothing when it comes to acoustic(or basically electric as well) guitars...but I want to buy one and when searching(before I found this thread) I found 2 that stood out. Mostly in looks than anything else. So I figured I'd ask if they were even remotely worth my time or money.

Ibanez DTME Daytripper Acoustic-Electric - http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_dtme_daytripper_acousticelectric_guitar?full_sku=519709%2e012

Fender Dreadnought -
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product?full_sku=103574919

EDIT: I noticed the Yamaha FG700 went up $50. Does anybody know why? And also, it's overall rating seems to be higher than the FG730. So would the 700 be a better choice than the 730?
Last edited by LilVikingboy at Aug 11, 2006,
After reading the advice on this thread and trying some guitars out in the shop I went for a Yamaha FG730s. I love the guitar which plays like a dream (looks good too), I'd recommend it to anyone.
Quote by Dlawso
I like the gayiness of your style. You look like a pedophilliac on cocaine, with a handbag full och Twinkys....

My lifestyle determines my death style.

UG is clachan a choin
Quote by p2fyre

People always rant on about how great takamine's are.. but the ones under $800 have really sh** build quality.

takamine's aren't that great really, my friend's uncle is in the music industry and he has a $900 Takamine but he said that my $600 Cort is better anyway!

And whatever you do, DO NOT get Ibanez!!! I was playing one of those $350 Ibanez Acoustics the other day and it didn't sound any better then my first crappy $100 practice guitar from cash converters! They are really quiet too and just not a pleasant guitar.

Probably the best bet for a cheaper guitar is Yamaha... Cort is another excellent brand although I'm not sure about the quality of the less expensive ones.
well im starting a class for Acoustic but i like Electric better so i though i would get an Elctro Acoustic both so i can learn Acousticf and when i want play electric at least i think how that works not sure im new to this but wht do u experts suggest get an acoustic first and a electric later or just get both in 1 electroacoustic il doubt il ever get the electric im on a super tight budget like 200-300
^It doesn't really work that way, an acoustic electric will not work the same way as an electric. If you're on a tight budget, you're probably better off with an acoustic. Any of them at the top of this thread are worthy of your $300.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i see thanks well umm than which do u recommend i guess most important thing for me is sound i guess electric will have ot wait a few years

well which do u guys recommend
I have that Yamaha, I wanted an inexpensive guitar, a Yamaha, and that's the the one i chose. I love it.
What do you think of the Washburn D10 SDL? It is the Deluxe version of the D10s. Anyone played one of these?
After reading this thread i bought a Yamaha FG730-S (tobacco sunburst) and i love it! Before that my accoustic was something i got from ebay, 80? including shipping, a tuner and a bag. Theres no way to describe how much better the Yamaha sounds :p Looks great too!