Page 5 of 24
The reviews seem pretty poor on it, and it is all laminated wood. I would look at the guitars listed in the first part of this thread, and pick from them. They don't have electronics in them, but you'll get a guitar that actually sounds good.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by mcease
What do you think of the Washburn D10 SDL? It is the Deluxe version of the D10s. Anyone played one of these?

Yeah I have. It's a comfortable guitar to play but I persoanlly just don't like it's tone. Thats just my personal preferance though, you would have to hear one yourself.
does anyone know if any of these models are available left handed, or any other lefty guitars in the price range that are worth considering?

currently i have a choice of 1, the Yamaha FG720SL

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/10099
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

President and founder member of the Squier appreciation foundation - PM me to join
what would be a good wood choice for a bassy/midrangey warm sound? i have a hohner starter guitar that, when i strum hard, turns the 4 bass strings into mush and the high e is kind of stinging--i dont know really how to describe it. maybe its just my playing?
I also just recently purchased a Yamaha FG730S and absolutely love it. I have zero complaints and definitely recommend it. If you're thinking about purchasing the FG720S I suggest that you save up the extra hundred bucks for the FG730S because the difference between the two is well worth the extra cash. Although the FG750S is indeed better sounding than the FG730S, I don't believe the difference is worth the hundred bucks. Yay for Yamaha. Happy shopping!
i have a washburn d10s and its one of the best guitars i have bought, and its still sounds great and it still has original strings. and i paid $230
I have a Silvertone Archtop Guitar from around the 1940's. everything on it is still the original except for a few scratches from over the years. Does any one know about how much a guitar like this would go for these days?
Hmm, i thought i read somewhere that's how you tell if it's solid. And i doubt that the D5's are laminate, at least for the back because it's clearly made of 2 solid bookmatch pieces, unless laminates come in something like that?
Are there any half-decent guitars for 100? Like an Epiphone or something? Because I can't find any Yamahas for $100 USD...
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Quote by Chigger Fruit
Hmm, i thought i read somewhere that's how you tell if it's solid. And i doubt that the D5's are laminate, at least for the back because it's clearly made of 2 solid bookmatch pieces, unless laminates come in something like that?

Well when the Greg Bennett website tells u its laminate, i think its something you should believe

http://www.samickguitar.com/acousticportal_worthington.html
Some acoustic guitars that have bookmatched back can be laminate because they only bookmatch one of the pieces in the laminate just for the looks. Same with laminate top.
Gear:
-Fender Mexican Telecaster
-Vox VR15 amp
-Yamaha FG-700S acoustic
-No name classical guitar with a stinky greasy fretboard
Thanks for making this thread. I recently purchased a new acoustic guitar, I tried out a couple of the guitars in this thread, and I decided on the Takamine GS330s.
Quote by Chigger Fruit

basically, yeah laminates come in "something like that." they can and do make laminate guitars that look like just about anything you can imagine.

Quote by Rianne
http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/espana_classical_cscr.htm

has anyone this guitar or played it ??

i absolutely loved playing it but i want some of yours opinions about it

i haven't played it... BUT cedar top with rosewood back and sides is my favorite combination of tone woods... and that fishman is a nice pickup.

Quote by savagerules
im lookin for a good acoustic guitar but with access to the higher frets like this one

are you looking for an acoustic-electric or just an acoustic? is it safe to assume that your price range is $300 or could you swing say $500?
Last edited by jimtaka at Sep 19, 2006,
sorry for the double post........

so i was at guitar center today and they FINALLY had an Ibanez AW40-NT ($299.99) in stock. for several months now i have been wanting to play one of these because somebody reccomended it really highly a few pages back. this guitar actually sounds pretty dang good. i was surprised. it is definitely an extremely attractive instrument, which is pretty common for the Art Wood line by Ibanez, but this is the first one i've played that sounded worth a crap really. anyway, long story short... here's another good review of the Ibanez AW40-NT.
Well for that classic rock sound mainly Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and other various bands what sort of guitar should I be looking for?

Also I saw these taylor baby guitars and they seem to be under $300.00 are they any good? Or is the small size a problem. I would prefer a standard size acoustic.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
That Taylor is not any good.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
the baby taylors are good guitars... but not for an "all the time" guitar. if you do alot of traveling, especially on airplanes, the baby taylor would be a great addition to any collection.... but you certainly shouldn't buy a baby taylor to play all the time. i'm guessing that you haven't ever seen one. it's quite small!
No acutally I have played one and know how small it is, but I just need an acoustic and need some recommendations.But if the taylor is not a good acoustic that suits my needs I won't get it.

Like I said before I like to play classic rock and that folk like guitar Jimmy plays, and Pink Floyd, other stuff to. I guess don't just want to limit myself to those bands. However that's what i'm mainly into.

And yes I need an all the time guitar this is my first and only acoustic for a little while.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 26, 2006,
I play probably 80+% Floyd and I got the A&L on the first page. Sounds great, feels great. I'd reccomend it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
I just got the Ibanez aw100nt and would like some opinions on it. I paid $350.00 and got a free deluxe gig bag with it.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well for that classic rock sound mainly Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and other various bands what sort of guitar should I be looking for?

Also I saw these taylor baby guitars and they seem to be under $300.00 are they any good? Or is the small size a problem. I would prefer a standard size acoustic.

Is it the baby or big baby you're talking about?

The Big Baby is around £300 here in the UK. It's a 15/16 size dreadnought and is more or less a full size acoustic. I stupidly sold mine for beer money for a holiday to Ibiza, and won't be able to afford another as I'm moving out (again!). I bought mine used from my cousin for £170.

I personally thought it was good, but I didn't like the tuners, and the strings I had on it were garbage.

There are other solid top acoustics that are cheaper and IMO, better. Try a Yamaha FG720s (Think that's right!)
Hey guys, what's the difference between the Alvarez RD8 and the Alvarez RD20S? They're similar in price and I noticed that the RD20S is mentioned here but not the RD8.

I also haven't seen much talk about the Alvarez's in this thread, but I'm assuming they are pretty good since one is included in the first post and the reviews on MF seem pretty good. Are they just less popular here, or not as good?

My second choice right now would be the Yamaha FG700S because I'd like to keep the price as close to $300 as possible including gig bag, strings, etc. Would the Alvarez be better than the Yamaha FG700S? How would the Alvarez RD8 compare to the Yamaha? I'm mostly interested in playing pop and folk type music. You know, the wimpy stuff
Quote by fsb_ben
RD8 no solid top, RD20S = solid top. Yamaha 700s = owns both of them in my opinion

How so?
I'd go with Epiphone on this for $150 and the Squier guitar by Fender for $100. But sadly the Squier only has 20 frets on each string, not including the 21st nearlly unplayable fret. If you are new at guitars like me then those are your top choices .
Quote by GrimReaperMort
I'd go with Epiphone on this for $150 and the Squier guitar by Fender for $100. But sadly the Squier only has 20 frets on each string, not including the 21st nearlly unplayable fret. If you are new at guitars like me then those are your top choices .

*shakes head*