Page 1 of 10
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
100 IQ
I searched for a thread on The Pixies but to no avail

I've just gotten back in The Pixies. My dear father bought The Pixies at the BBC last week and I've beeb listening to it. Great alt. versions of the songs.
I have Surfer Rosa, Doolittle(my favourite) and the B-sides collection. Favourite songs at the moment are Is She Weird, Hey and the alt version of Monkey Gone To Heaven with David on vocals.
I was at their gig last year in Dublin, t'was funky.

What does everyone think of them? Amazingly unique band IMO
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
PistolPeet
crack *****
10 IQ
there awesome!

Surfer Rose kicks Doolittle's ass tho. Just forf the simple fact that it has Tonys Theme on it!

THIS IS A SONG ABOUT A SUPER HERO NAMED TONY! ITS CALLED TONYS THEME!
Pistola
toha33
90 IQ
I love the songs 'Happening' 'Down the well' 'Ana' 'Dancing the Manta Ray' 'Where is my mind' and a lot more. That's all the songs I could think of at this moment.
denabob
231 IQ
Not my favorite band but I dig them. I have all their discs and break them out on occasion. It's really too bad that Kim and Black Francis couldn't put their creative differences aside back in the day. They could have been huge. Seems like Kim always gets the short end of the stick - The Breeders fell apart because she put the band on hold to wait for her sis to get off of drugs. Kim rocks...and she's cute too!
Monkeygone2hvn
10 IQ
the pixies are amazing, one of my favorite bands...

my favorite songs are hey, break my body, where is my mind, and gouge away...
public_witness
Banned
20 IQ
Quote by Raginscotsman
Surfer Rosa is the greatest album ever recorded - FACT

I kind of agree

but stating your opinion as fact makes you look like a retarded 13 year old gushing about slipknot.

grats on being an idiot.
Raginscotsman
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by public_witness
I kind of agree

but stating your opinion as fact makes you look like a retarded 13 year old gushing about slipknot.

grats on being an idiot.

Learn to appreciate the finer arts of exagerration. Then, just maybe, you won't come off as an asshole.
AusRottenApples
UG Newbie
10 IQ
I missed recording their live concert on Austin City Limits last summer. I thought I was going to cry. They're one of my favorite bands at the moment, and have been for some time.

Favorite Songs:
I Bleed
Gouge Away
Here Comes Your Man
Debaser
Wave of Mutilation

..and so many more.
Zevious Zoquis
10 IQ
Doolittles a far better album than Surfer Rosa. Surfer is great, don't get me worng, but the songs aren't as well-written and the band was still getting it's bearings. Doolittle is a band at the absolute pinnicle of it's creativity. Afaic, it's one of the 2 or 3 best (and also most influential) albums of the past 20 years.

Frank Black has also had a really solid career since the Pixies. In fact, I think some of his stuff since the Pixies is as good as anything he did with the band (songs like Headache, Los Angeles, Cult Of Ray...). Even his "rawk" band The Catholics had lots of great songs...
Last edited by Zevious Zoquis at Apr 1, 2006,
tossup
the complete 196
112 IQ
I LOVE THE PIXIES

i just recently got trompe le mond (sp?)

it's ok, but doolittle kicks ass!

"must be a devil, between us, or *****s in my head, *****s at the door, a ***** in my bed..."

EDIT: Zevious Zoquis, props to you about doolittle vs. surfer rosa
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
RHCPhysco8
UG's 3rd String QB
40 IQ
The Pixies are a great band. Haven't gotten around to buying an album yet, but they're a awesome nontheless. Gigiantic happens to be my perosnal favorite song.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
110 IQ
I really don't listen to them a lot, but Debaser is a great song.
Evan_lesPaul
a gentleman caller
60 IQ
i really like surfer rosa, but i also have doolittle. hard to say which one i like better, but im going for surfer rosa right now.
Monkeygone2hvn
10 IQ
Quote by Evan_lesPaul
i really like surfer rosa, but i also have doolittle. hard to say which one i like better, but im going for surfer rosa right now.

my favorite album from the pixies is surfer rosa, its the album i grew up on from them, and then i discovered doolittle which is amazing but i still love surfer rosa more becuase all the crazy memories i have attached to it.....

do u guys think the pixies will ever tour again or is frank black going to just continue with his solo stuff?
PIXIEFAN
Banned
10 IQ
Heck Yes! I love the Pixies! Debaser, Where is my mind?, Bone Machine! I really want to buy that new book about them: The oral history of the pixies. Sounds really cool.
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
100 IQ
I've been listening to Surfer Rosa again. Great stuff, and it holds memories [FLASHBACK SCENE]
ibanez901
UG Freak
10 IQ
i like trompe le monde the best actually
my fav songs are
letter to memphis
alec eiffel
where is my mind?
www.last.fm/user/michaelz92

Originally posted by 5sw0nt0n B0m8
IMMA POAST AZ MUTCH AZ I WUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITZ A FREEEEE KUNTRIE!!!!!
Stacked Actors
Registered Sex Offender
40 IQ
I think The Pixies are the most underrated band of all time. My favorite songs are basically anything off Doolittle

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

v-e-l-o-u-r-i-a
10 IQ
Quote by Zevious Zoquis

Frank Black has also had a really solid career since the Pixies. In fact, I think some of his stuff since the Pixies is as good as anything he did with the band (songs like Headache, Los Angeles, Cult Of Ray...). Even his "rawk" band The Catholics had lots of great songs...

Heads up for mentioning Frank man I heart Frank solo, some of it's easily as good as the Pixies stuff.

Back to the Pixies, anyone else think it would have been SO ace if Bam Thwok had been chosen for the Shrek soundtrack?!
No Cheap Thrill!
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
40 IQ
I just picked their BBC recordings and I've been enjoying that a lot. As far as studio albums go, I still only have Doolittle but it's a phenomenal album. Haven't gotten around to picking up Surfer Rosa, I've been meaning to get it for close to a year now.
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
394 IQ
Yeah, The Pixies are a great band, my favourite is Doolittle too, Here Comes Your Man is my favourite song of theirs, probably the only one I could listen to for days on end on repeat (don't ask).

Wave of Mutilation is also great.
mmm... ice
come again?
40 IQ
The Pixies are great I think it's a shame what happened to them in the end up. They were for a very long time my favourite band I only have the reunion tour DVD, their greatest hits and Doolittle. In my opinion I would say that Doolittle is one fo the greatest albums of all time and I don't think it get enough recognition. You have now made me want to find cool bootlegs and the such.

Anyone know any good bootlegs?
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
100 IQ
I'm still trying to find some. All the ones I've found don't work. You can get some stuff here, but if I remember right the quality is really bad, really low bitrates.
Andrewbiles
4,745 IQ
Join dimeadozen.org, there's a load of there (can't say I've bothered listening to any though).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
thepickups
UG Monkey
40 IQ
Yeh a really good band. It annoies me how some people just can't get it and suddenly label them as "****". They are so different to alot of stuff. I know some people don't like them, but some people could, they just don't try.

And also, where is my mind???Amazing. Chekc out my cover in my sig!
Glen_Hansard
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
100 IQ
Quote by denabob
Not my favorite band but I dig them. I have all their discs and break them out on occasion. It's really too bad that Kim and Black Francis couldn't put their creative differences aside back in the day. They could have been huge. Seems like Kim always gets the short end of the stick - The Breeders fell apart because she put the band on hold to wait for her sis to get off of drugs. Kim rocks...and she's cute too!

I dislike Kim now. I got a Breeders CD today. I turned it off half way through(a thing I rarely do to a new CD). It was just UTTER UTTER ****E.

If that's the style Kim wanted to introduce into The Pixies, I don't blame Black Francis for telling her to **** off(or whatever way he put it).

You ****ing die I said...I said you ****ING die, to her...huh?...what?...No no, I was talking to Kim. I said you ****in' die.... nonoehno I I we were just goofing around... no no it didn't have anything to do with anything... she said don't touch anybody touch this is my stuff and I said you ****ing die, like that. I was finishing her part for her....

... you know what I mean?

I love the Vamos Intro
Monkeygone2hvn
10 IQ
Quote by Glen_Hansard
I dislike Kim now. I got a Breeders CD today. I turned it off half way through(a thing I rarely do to a new CD). It was just UTTER UTTER ****E.

If that's the style Kim wanted to introduce into The Pixies, I don't blame Black Francis for telling her to **** off(or whatever way he put it).

You ****ing die I said...I said you ****ING die, to her...huh?...what?...No no, I was talking to Kim. I said you ****in' die.... nonoehno I I we were just goofing around... no no it didn't have anything to do with anything... she said don't touch anybody touch this is my stuff and I said you ****ing die, like that. I was finishing her part for her....

... you know what I mean?

I love the Vamos Intro

ya i got the breeders cd a few months ago, i listened to it once and i havnt touched it since, it wasnt too great but eh wutever....
Dom_H
10 IQ
Quote by PistolPeet
there awesome!

Surfer Rose kicks Doolittle's ass tho. Just forf the simple fact that it has Tonys Theme on it!

THIS IS A SONG ABOUT A SUPER HERO NAMED TONY! ITS CALLED TONYS THEME!

yeah i though surfer rosa was better than dolittle after listening to them both.