Page 1 of 2
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
ok....so now that i'm without a band (last gig was in november!), i'm free to explore a buttload of projects.a friend of mine called me up this afternoon with a proposal.
he wants to put out a cd of cover songs---not really punk tunes, and not something that's usually covered.just for gits and shiggles, he said.
he has some potential people lined up for the possibility.it would be myself, two other DC vets (one of whom hasn't played in almost 15 years!) and a Canadian, if all goes according to plan.
what i'm asking is for some suggestions by the regulars on what they they think might be worth covering.
here's what we have absolutely decided on so far:

Mongoloid---D-EVO
Oh!That's Too Bad---TUBEWAY ARMY
Spazz---KIM FOWLEY
Are You A Boy or Are You A Girl---BARBARIANS

and that's it.
there's a few other things we tossed around like Going Blind--KISS (Nemo would understand why i'd like to do this one, what with the lyric content!haha!), maybe a CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND tune..etc.
what do you think?any ideas?
coo-coo-cachoo
Banned
10 IQ
What the hell, all those songs suck balls, seriously im not just trying to get a rise.
newyorkdolls138
min
681 IQ
i'm pretty sure he was asking the punk forum regulars...

I really don't know what kind of stuff you'd wanna do, but i'll think about it.
Jizz is where it is
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
Fish Fight - King Khan and BBQ Show
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
Do a rap song or a surf song. Or do 96 Tears.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
can't say that i'm familiar with King Kahn, but i'll check it out. if it's ska, it's already a "no".
we're trying to go with 1980's and earlier.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
When I started reading I thought that we were gonna get the opportunity to be on this

Those all look interesting, particularly the devo.

I've always thought that the dolls' "Who are the mystery girls?" would make a good cover...
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
Somebodies Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight, I Fought The Law
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
Quote by Mach_Baron
can't say that i'm familiar with King Kahn, but i'll check it out. if it's ska, it's already a "no".
we're trying to go with 1980's and earlier.

oh, the album just came out but it sounds like it was recorded in Memphis in like 1962.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
"...head kicked in" and "96 tears" have already been discussed, and are on the short list. so is "Pychotic Reaction" by COUNT FIVE.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
that settles it, Whyvern---i'm gonna have to give those guys a serious listen, if they sound like you said they do!
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
I love 96 tears and Psychotic Reaction... you could also do "Put the Clock Back on the Wall" by the E-Types... another amazing psychadellic song.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Quote by Mach_Baron
Mongoloid---D-EVO

The Cd Kicks ass already!!

What are you're thoughts on Styrchnine by the sonics? That'd be cool.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
You should definitely cover "This Ain't The Summer Of Love" by BOC.
I have been dying to see or hear a punk band do that song.

Pink Fairies "Readin' Between The Lines" is a real rocker and while you're messing about with Twink's stuff, how about the Rings "I Wanna Be Free" or (definitely for fun)Hawkwind's "Silver Machine"?
travel sized
Let's Pretend You're Cool
114 IQ
I'd say do a Stray Cats song.
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
ScummerVacation
Foghorn Leghorn
18 IQ
People gonna think, people gonna think, people gonna think you a SPAZZ.

For sure, I would love to hear a cover of that song. I think the song could be done way better than Fowley did it. For sure.

I've never heard a cover of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - Shakin' All Over, that would be sweet.
SIZE]
Last edited by ScummerVacation at Apr 4, 2006,
Warm-And-Fuzzy
Ihatepunkrock/ithatesme
162 IQ
Quote by travel sized
I'd say do a Stray Cats song.

Yes!
...and I'd say do some Aces (D.Dekker) stuff, but you said anything ska was a "no".
So this was pointless.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
the dickies- nights in white satin
999- homicide
Anti Nowhere League- I hate people because I'm listening to it now

non punk stuff.
johnny cash- folsom city blues
and maybe do a zeppelin song, mix up the lyrics and take the pish out of a crap band.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
thanks for all the suggestions, guys! it's appreciated. as i stated in my first post, we trying to steer away from covering punk bands and typical artists/songs that covered way too much. so johnny cash and led zep are out. as are 999 etc.
we are, however considering billy joel's "captain jack" SS.

another one we've decidid on (suggested by my friend's 9 yeard old daughter) is "Tounge Tied Jill" by Charkie Feathers.

i don't know if Nemo was being sarcastic when he mentioned BOC, but it's not a bad idea.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
No, I seriously think that it's a shame that no punk band ever covered BOC's "This Ain't The Summer Of Love".
It would have been especially poignant the first time around, when the punks were rebelling mainly against the hippies and all their stupid so-called "ideals".
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
i seem to remember hearing Boyd and co. covering "ain't the summer of love" in some of their earlier gigs.i could be wrong, though.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Did they?
Seeing Black Market Baby covering that song would be the single greatest moment I would have spent in DC.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
afternoon delight was covered by the circle jerks back in the 80's, and although we considered it, we felt it would be reduntant. plus the Jerks did such a fine job of it.
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
Mach, my question is why you've not played a show for so long. Real punks don't take holidays

I've played one show and it was for school. I'm on a loooooooooong holiday

What about an elton john song? It would be hilarious.
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
well, SS...if you remember correctly, i was supposed to sit in with the SLICKEE BOYS a few months ago, but had to cancel out.
i've just been taking it easy for a few months, i'm not as young as i used to be!

and Nemo: i called up Wendel, and he seems to rememeber BMB covering BOC also.
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
crap mach, i forgot about the SLICKEE BOYS... That was depressing actually...
Mach_Baron
111 IQ
yeah, SS---------it's still depressing. and those tapes i mentioned in that other thread back then: there's a big ado over them, and it doesn't look like they are gonna get released any time soon. too bad, as they really kick a$$.

on a side note: best cover song EVER-----------a blistering punk version of the DIFFERENT STROKES theme song by Todd Bridges and the What You Talkin' Bout Willis Experience! yes---with Todd Bridges singing! classic!
i mention this because this was brought up to me earlier today, and of course i had to say that the ultimate version has already been recorded.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
If you're going to do theme songs, do the Jeffersons.

Get a Tambourine in there somewhere too.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Quote by Mach_Baron
and Nemo: i called up Wendel, and he seems to rememeber BMB covering BOC also.

Good on them !

Now I have even more reason to love BMB and more reason to lament that I missed seeing that live.
radio_schizo
don't look now
2,833 IQ
Do a Flipper song

Or do you want something a bit less chaotic? If so do something cool like a Stranglers song or a guitared up version of a Suicide song.

What kind of band are you? Electric or acoustic? I'm guessing electric right?
Last edited by radio_schizo at Apr 4, 2006,
bucky_2300
Onward!
1,344 IQ
I want to hear David Lee Roth's "Yankee Rose" done punk. Or take "Cum On Feel the Noize" back to it's more Slade-ish roots.
no
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
I say:

Fugazi-Suggestion

Agent Orange-Bored of You

Screeching Weasel-Zombie

The Evens-All These Governers

Low Self Opinion-Rollins Band

Jawbreaker-Boxcar

Rocket From The Crypt-Poison Eye

Ramones-I Believe In Miracles

Black Flag-Wound Up

AC/DC-Highway to Hell

Beatles-Come Together

Black Sabbath-Sweet Leaf

Ozzy Ozbourne-I Don't Know

Slayer-Necrophobic

Kid Dynamite-Heart A Tack

Reagan Youth-U.S.A

I'd like to here those songs.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Apr 4, 2006,
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker
862 IQ
just my opinion, but i believe you should do a cover of bad brains song "Banned in D.C.", possibly Coup D'etat by circle jerks, and Out of Step by minor threat.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.