Page 16 of 16
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
5,346 IQ
Quote by mikeman
^So what's the verdict on either anchor or no anchor, without reading through 30 pages?

Freepower and Zamboni's verdict is no anchor, but people keep arguing with it.
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
And theres no such thing as standing up straight in an non-akward fashion because gravity exists and there fore anything you do has tension on it holy Shizza let's all just give up playing completely because of that blasted God being trying to screw us all over.

Good one, Newton.

Everything anything does has friction and gravity acting against it. The idea is to get the least amount of friction acting against you. And that is only achieved by pulling your hand off of the guitar and picking freely.

But again, thanks for the rhetoric.
IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
10 IQ
So you think we should unanchor our thumb from the back of the nexk too to get rid of friction?
Is guitar playing about feeling the guitar in your hands or memorizing the location of a mass outside of your body?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
The friction of your thumb on the back of your neck is friction working in your favor... Not against you.

As for your second question... Pfff, very funny.

And Scourge441: everyone who has a clue knows anchoring is bad, not just two people.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
kirbyrocknroll
UG's Cannons King
2,342 IQ
When your thumb is against the neck it helps you, unlike anchoring which slows you down because there is more friction on you which means that you can't pick as freely. The friction on the thumb against the neck helps your keep control of your fretting hand.

-KR
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
The friction of your thumb on the back of your neck is friction working in your favor... Not against you.

As for your second question... Pfff, very funny.

And Scourge441: everyone who has a clue knows anchoring is bad, not just two people.

It's funny how you include the majority of shred guitar gods in your category of "not having a clue"
God withus
loves to play his guitar
256 IQ
Meh I don't think it makes enough of a difference to be honest.

If you're a devoted guitarist who puts in hours and hours on end, then whether or not you anchor isn't going to be much of a factor. You're gonna be good, plain and simple.

...*cough* petrucci
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by Freepower
Whoa, it aint a majority.

most of the main guys do.

but nonetheless, it's not worth changing a teacher over.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by scheck006
most of the main guys do.

but nonetheless, it's not worth changing a teacher over.

It's funny, too, how you can't read.

There's a difference between knowing anchoring is bad yet doing it out of habit and not having the time inbetween 15 clinics, 2 album recordings and 3 tours to totally change your technique and being ignorant of the fact anchoring is bad...

Ever thought about that?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
scheck006
202 IQ
I still haven't seen ANYTHING on one of the mainstream shredders who anchor but admits it's wrong.
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
^You still seem to be of the opinion that knowing how to play means knowing the right way to play. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

You know I like metaphors, so let's try this one out for size: Your arguments are like saying that just because Michael Schumacher (for example) is a world-class formula 1 driver, that means he knows how to build a race car. It's not the case. The fact that you can use an instrument doesn't mean you know the most efficient way of using it.

Quote by God withus
Meh I don't think it makes enough of a difference to be honest.

If you're a devoted guitarist who puts in hours and hours on end, then whether or not you anchor isn't going to be much of a factor. You're gonna be good, plain and simple.

...*cough* petrucci

Well, that'd be wrong. It does make a difference, and if you read through the last nine million posts in this thread, you might see why.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Quote by scheck006
I still haven't seen ANYTHING on one of the mainstream shredders who anchor but admits it's wrong.

What, you dont believe Resi when he says he saw a Morse interview where he said he would not anchor if he could have his time again?

Similarly, i haven't seen ANYTHING from a mainstream shredder who DOESNT anchor but admits it's wrong. If that argument counted for squat in the first place, and assuming resi's a liar, we're still back to even stevens for that particular point.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
it seems this is a never ending battle, me personally, i know unanchored is the way to go, if anyone were to tell me i am full of sh!t to my face, i would advise them to play unanchored for a month or 2 and reteach themselves how to play properly, then if they can't admit its still better i'd figure they just have one of those "i have to always be right" kind of complexes. it's a pain in the a$$ to relearn how to play unanchored (initially) but well worth it in the end. and all my hero's played virtually unanchored (dimebag, rhoads & hammett are just a few) so thats good enough for me.
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by Freepower
What, you dont believe Resi when he says he saw a Morse interview where he said he would not anchor if he could have his time again?

Similarly, i haven't seen ANYTHING from a mainstream shredder who DOESNT anchor but admits it's wrong. If that argument counted for squat in the first place, and assuming resi's a liar, we're still back to even stevens for that particular point.

but noone argued that playing without an anchor was bad

Quote by z4twenny

and all my hero's played virtually unanchored (dimebag, rhoads & hammett are just a few) so thats good enough for me.

rhoads and hammet both anchor
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
5,346 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

I know, but Zamboni and Freepower are the two main supporters of non-anchoring.

Quote by Zamboni
You know I like metaphors, so let's try this one out for size: Your arguments are like saying that just because Michael Schumacher (for example) is a world-class formula 1 driver, that means he knows how to build a race car. It's not the case. The fact that you can use an instrument doesn't mean you know the most efficient way of using it.

No offense, but your metaphor sucks.

Quote by Freepower

I watched the Jemfest Steve Morse interview (the only one that was availabel on the Jemfest website, at least), and I didn't see anything about anchoring. It's possible that Resi was mistaken about the location of the interview, though. Or, maybe I missed something; Resi, if you could find the interview again and point out where he talked about anchoring, it would be a big help.

Quote by scheck006

That's the point he was trying to make.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ resi never said the interview was on Jemfest.

Quote by scheck006

I'm pointing out that whether or not famous anchorers admit anchoring is wrong (assuming, once again, Resi's wrong/lying ), unanchoring has exactly the same argument in its favour, if it counted for diddly-squat.
PuppetOfTallica
124 IQ
There is/was yesterday a discussion about this in the archives, which detailed all this in about 5 pages, this thread is just getting ridiculous.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
I'm sorry you feel that way u_u Shall we discuss muffins?

you mean, like....these?

IThinkYou Smell
Ibanez
10 IQ
Most definately, but i must ask....are you into building muffins out of cow's droppings or do you just buy them like the every day pansy?
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref
4,054 IQ
I do believe 16 pages is enough.

*closed*

No muffins allowed.
Looking for my India/Django.