Page 1 of 16
camo9543
336 IQ
well I am just starting to learn how to shred and I wanna know if anchoring will limit my atlernate picking speed or not
Hypnot1st
Tap Master
407 IQ
I don't know if it really matters much, but I've heard anchoring slows you down.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
camo9543
336 IQ
yeah anchoring is either using your pinkie or three fingers for support i just wannt find out so i can change now so it wont be harder to change later if i need to and i dont want to limit myself
ferretman
Banned
181 IQ
Congratulations you have just posted thread number 100000000 on this topic. Do a search before you start threads.
But anyway there are to many awesome guitarists that anchor their pinkie or palm or whatever for it to be a problem. eg. John Petrucci, Marty Friedman, Joe Stump, Michael Angelo Batio, Steve Morse just to name a few.
steve vai82
50 IQ
i have read from several different sources that say anchoring is bad. Now, if virtuoso's like Pertrucci, MAB, and Marty anchor than obviously anchoring can be good too. But as for me, I was reading a different thread on this topic today and I tried to get used to not anchoring and I can tell you honestly my speed has already improved a little. Its hard to get used to not anchoring (primarily dealing with accuracy) but I think its worth it. That way your wrist is not restricted as much.
Paint
UG Addict
946 IQ
i was always told anchoring your pinky was good.
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
Rocket2D4
10 IQ
I anchor my pinky wihtout thinking about it, sometimes.

or do mean anchor your palm to the bridge sort of speak ?
Just a slight movement of my palm gose from mutting to ring.
I don't even think about it.
Last edited by Rocket2D4 at Apr 3, 2006,
steve vai82
50 IQ
I think though, in terms of shred its better to not have an anchor. That frees up your wrist and alternate picking is all in the wrist.
camo9543
336 IQ
alright thanks, i just needed to know because when i was picking sometimes my pinkie ankor would keep rubbing on the pick gaurd thus slowing me down so ill try both ways and see which one helps me better
Smokey Amp
Run.Stop.Fierce.
1,077 IQ
MAB doesn't anchor...Well, from what I've seen anyway...
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Sir Edwin CBE
539 IQ
It's preference. Any type of tension will make you slow down so just make sure that you're not creating tension. Also try playing without anchoring too - just see which one you prefer.
skydropsblue
21 IQ
i used to anchor. after reading a lot on the subject i decided to stop. it is a hard habit to break, but my speed went up 10 fold, there was LESS tension in my hand/wrist/arm, and my accuracy even improved. i would recommend not anchoring. i will be hard at first, but worth it in the end. btw, i have NEVER read anything on technique that said you should anchor. (really, the most important thing you can do with your playing is to work out/get rid of any tension. for me, although i didn't realize it, i was creating tension by anchoring)
Last edited by skydropsblue at Apr 4, 2006,
TeenBite
Your Acoustic Biatch
1,016 IQ
There are LOADS of these threads floating around, and please DON'T ANCHOR, for reasons that I'm sure have been explained above.

Seriously, don't.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by John Kimble
Anchoring will not slow you down, anyone who says it does is just being anal.

Of course it will. You're just looking for an exuse to not work on your free-hand play.

Don't anchor. It most defnitely slows you down and is a bad habit to get into. It gives you a false sense of stability and will only hinder you in the future.

If you want to completely open up your playing and increase your speed tenfold, don't anchor.
Rockon914
UG Member
503 IQ
I thin k I anchor with my Palm, is that possible or am i just resting my hand on the lower strings when there not being played?
The Dude abides
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by Rockon914
I thin k I anchor with my Palm, is that possible or am i just resting my hand on the lower strings when there not being played?

Yeah that would be an anchor.

I used to do both types of anchor actually, both finger and palm, but honestly, it's not that hard to stop doing, and my playing became so much less tensioned and more fluid.
Naboo
Zoot Allures
367 IQ
Resting your palm on the srings when not used is ushally an advantage because it cuts unwanted resonation and its alot less restricting than anchoring your pinky
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
is resting my palm on the strings considored anchoring? because ive stopped putting my pinky down on the body, but i still mostly put my palm on the bridge. i play metal you see... lots of palm muting and such....
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Naboo
Zoot Allures
367 IQ
Quote by Night_Lights
is resting my palm on the strings considored anchoring? because ive stopped putting my pinky down on the body, but i still mostly put my palm on the bridge. i play metal you see... lots of palm muting and such....

Dont think its actually considered anchoring because unless your are sticking your palm behind the bridge then you are only really resting it there so it dosent really restrict your playing
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by Naboo
Dont think its actually considered anchoring because unless your are sticking your palm behind the bridge then you are only really resting it there so it dosent really restrict your playing

Resting= planting, and when you plant, you restrict your range of motion and you tense yourself up.

Palm muting does require a rest on the bridge, but after the mute, you should completely separate your hand from the bridge.
scheck006
202 IQ
you lose accuracy if you don't anchor.

You'll naturally start to come off if you pick too fast, so that's what I do.

just let it go free if you want to pick a million miles and hour.

usually if you are doing that you're not doing some mad inside picking or alternate picking an arpeggio. that's why you can afford a loss in accuracy.
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by scheck006
you lose accuracy if you don't anchor.

You'll naturally start to come off if you pick too fast, so that's what I do.

just let it go free if you want to pick a million miles and hour.

usually if you are doing that you're not doing some mad inside picking or alternate picking an arpeggio. that's why you can afford a loss in accuracy.

Wrong.

With time your accuracy becomes ten times better than when you anchor.

And on the contrary, not planting your hand or fingers on the guitar makes alt picking, and any other style of picking for that matter, much easier and more efficient.
scheck006
202 IQ
tell that to steve morse, i'm sure he'll agree with you. seeing as he's known for his super accurate yet anchored alternate picking.
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Quote by scheck006
tell that to steve morse, i'm sure he'll agree with you. seeing as he's known for his super accurate yet anchored alternate picking.

Yeah, because that's how we judge right and wrong: "X person does it, so it must be right!!1!!11!!onez0rZ!!1!!!1!"

Many people anchor. Many people get good at anchoring because it's all that they know, or it's all that they've been mistakingly taught. The reasoning behind anchoring doesn't matter, it's still a bad habit.

It's like saying "Hey, I can bite my nails off way faster than you can!" But it's still a bad habit regardless of how good you get at it.

The simple fact is that it's still not going to get you as good as you could get by not anchoring.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Zamboni is absolutely right.

You only lose accuracy because you haven't trained in doing it without anchoring... Duh.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
ok i would like to point out, anchor or no anchor, there is such a minute amount of movement from your wrist when shredding it shouldn't matter, and fyi, there shouldn't be any tension hardly when shredding, if yer muscles are tense then you're expending WAAAAY too much energy, i've been beating the crap out of a guitar for long enough to know this for a fact, yer wrist should be loose and the movement free flowing..... but that is something that comes w/ time
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by Zamboni
Yeah, because that's how we judge right and wrong: "X person does it, so it must be right!!1!!11!!onez0rZ!!1!!!1!"

Many people anchor. Many people get good at anchoring because it's all that they know, or it's all that they've been mistakingly taught. The reasoning behind anchoring doesn't matter, it's still a bad habit.

It's like saying "Hey, I can bite my nails off way faster than you can!" But it's still a bad habit regardless of how good you get at it.

The simple fact is that it's still not going to get you as good as you could get by not anchoring.

whatever, do it your own way and stop telling other people how to do things.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
^Thread author is asking for it, smartass.

And you're wrong, deal with it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ well, people HAVE asked, and it is an informed opinion.

What reason is there to anchor?

Lots of great players do it.

What reason not to?

Lots of great players do it. They also ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULDNT ANCHOR!
Have you ever heard any player any good say to you "Y'know, the best thing that ever happened to my picking was anchoring"? No. How often do you hear the converse?
And as far as goes tension, etc, well, thats obvious.

Finally, i'd like to point out that while it may be trickier to learn to change, so is the change to alternate picking from all-downs, and you wouldnt dispute that. Give it a go, suprise yourself.
scheck006
202 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
^Thread author is asking for it, smartass.

And you're wrong, deal with it.

I really don't give a ****. under your reasoning, wrong is ok with me
BFI
122 IQ
im sure everyone seen michael angelo anchoring, so? he shreds like hell and also sounds like arseholes.

IMO you shouldnt really anchor i guess, but if it helps you learn...
steve vai82
50 IQ
anchoring is a bad habit. look at it this way. Tiger Woods, a GREAT golfer and may be the best golfer when everything is said and done. A few years ago he realized that he had a flaw in his swing. So he completely dismantled his swing by each step and fixed this minute problem with his swing. He may have been a great golfer without fixing his swing but he would not have been the best he could be. Similiar to anchoring, sure you may be able to shred pretty well with that flaw, in fact you may be able to shred very well. But you won't be as good as you could be until you stop anchoring.