Page 5 of 16
Quote by Erc
And that was staggeringly retarded.

There is the way that works, and the way that works better. Unanchored being the better.

The point I was getting at was that to define one style as completely wrong and the other as the opposite, is in my opinion really narrow minded. Obviously one style will work better than others for the majority of people, but I don't see that as a reason to completely reject different approaches.
http://ilikeshred.dmusic.com

Originally posted by blink_x41
d0oDd, gUrLs d0Nt lIk3 bOiS, gUrLs lIk3 cArS aNd m0N3y$$!!!!!!!11111L0L!!!!11111º1"·ª!"hArDc0r3
Quote by Erc
And that was staggeringly retarded.

There is the way that works, and the way that works better. Unanchored being the better.

It works better for some. That's what you need to realize.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
The point I was getting at was that to define one style as completely wrong and the other as the opposite, is in my opinion really narrow minded. Obviously one style will work better than others for the majority of people, but I don't see that as a reason to completely reject different approaches.

It works better for some. That's what you need to realize.

Holy hell that sounded so post-modern it wasn't even funny 0_o. There are truths and absolutes out there just to let you know. Not every thing is relative.

Hows this, you guys find me a video of SOMEBODY playing faster/cleaner/and more difficult licks then Shawn Lane while anchoring their hand and I'll retaract my statement. Until then my statement stands. There are those who can play well, and those who can play AMAZINGLY well. Those who are amazing don't anchor.
Quote by Erc
There are those who can play well, and those who can play AMAZINGLY well. Those who are amazing don't anchor.

hahaha, you have got to be kidding me? There's TONS of amazing players who anchor, so don't even try to pull that.

As for Shawn Lane, that guy shreds like no other, but I know I couldn't stand listening to shred for more then 10 minutes before getting bored .

Quote by Zamboni
No, it'll work better for anyone if they give it enough of a chance and don't punk out because it's difficult at first.

I agree, non-anchoring does increase speed, I never said it didn't. I'm a non-anchorer myself, however I do believe anchoring gives you better accuracy when you're not aiming for faster NPS.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by Jarrott
hahaha, you have got to be kidding me? There's TONS of amazing players who anchor, so don't even try to pull that.

As for Shawn Lane, that guy shreds like no other, but I know I couldn't stand listening to shred for more then 10 minutes before getting bored .

I agree, non-anchoring does increase speed, I never said it didn't. I'm a non-anchorer myself, however I do believe anchoring gives you better accuracy when you're not aiming for faster NPS.

That last statement is ridiculous. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

Also there arn't any "Amazing shredders" out there who anchor. Their all your average run of the mill shredder who technically are good, but don't have dirt on players like Guthrie or Shawn.
Quote by Jarrott

Christ, it's not all about speed, idiot. As Erc stated, speed most definitely a by-product of accuracy, and non-anchoring will allow you more accuracy than anchoring ever will.
Quote by Erc

Also there arn't any "Amazing shredders" out there who anchor. Their all your average run of the mill shredder who technically are good, but don't have dirt on players like Guthrie or Shawn.

you win the stupidity award.
^^ Awesome, I love awards. I don't get them much =(. The only reward I ever got that I remember is this writing contest in school that we had to do and that stuff in the 5th grade. I almost won state in it, I would have gotten to meet the governor too. Life is so dissapointing =*(

BTW I don't see what makes my post so stupid, I hold true to my award, I don't even see why I earned it.
Quote by Erc
^^ Awesome, I love awards. I don't get them much =(. The only reward I ever got that I remember is this writing contest in school that we had to do and that stuff in the 5th grade. I almost won state in it, I would have gotten to meet the governor too. Life is so dissapointing =*(

lolz0rz
Quote by Erc

lets just look at some of the players who anchor.

alexi laiho
micheal angelo batio
john petrucci
steve morse
yngwie malmsteen
tony macalpine
steve vai
eric johnson
van halen

somehow their opinion has more value in this arguement because

A. they're not teenagers who value their reputation on a forum.
B. they are known for their amazing guitar playing. period

I'm sorry zam, you're just going to have to cope with it. yes, there are people who do things differently than you.

anchoring is not the wrong way to pick.

Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Someone should close this thread - it's just like a versus thread - IT'S ALL OPINION.

apparantly you're wrong. its not opinion. its plain to see that there's a right and wrong answer to this. but if all my guitar heroes are wrong according to a couple kids on a guitar forum.

then by all means.

wrong is just dandy with me.
Quote by Inahrima
Why on earth do people keep asking this question?!? its the same thing as
"do i have shave my balls?"

ofcourse you have to

You do?
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by scheck006

alexi laiho

Quote by scheck006
micheal angelo batio

And why does he get away so well with it? Its been a matter of study for me, his picking technique, and you can see below if you want.

Quote by scheck006
john petrucci

Man, that guy tenses up - watch rock discipline. Do you really want to be able to pick that fast but put that much effort into it when you dont have to? You can pretty much see the exact moment he stops playing fast by the amount he relaxes.

Quote by scheck006
steve morse

Oh, good ol' carpal tunnel.

yngwie malmsteen

If you're going to be a circle picker, then anchoring matters **** all.

tony macalpine

Dont have a clue about the details of this guys technique, so i'll leave him alone.

steve vai

He doesnt anchor...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4086648236927930164&q=steve+vai&pl=true - 3:44

eric johnson

Yes, because he's a great alternate picker.

van halen

Yes, he was teh awesome.

A. they're not teenagers who value their reputation on a forum.
B. they are known for their amazing guitar playing. period

*cough*

You're putting words into their mouths there, homeboy. What ARE their opinions? I've never, literally never, heard any of them advocating anchoring.

Regarding malmsteen, he's said relaxation is key. MAB, well, he said that the bones of the hand should not flex at all. Course, being an oscillating picker, anchoring doesnt hurt his technique as much as it would others - he's using a "door knocking" motion with his right hand, from the wrist. Put your fingers on the table and thats pretty easy to do compared to a translatory or rotatory movement.

A) ?
B) Yes, but so is Hendrix. If you want to talk "perfect picking technique" then you have a different story...

I'm sorry zam, you're just going to have to cope with it. yes, there are people who do things differently than you.

anchoring is not the wrong way to pick.

You've said yourself, its got advantages and disadvantages. The only advantage you can give us is that it gives a reference point at the price of friction, tension and a decreased range of motion.

As opposed to using the last string you touched as a reference, looking, or perhaps even anchoring and then unanchoring once you find your bearings...

apparantly you're wrong. its not opinion. its plain to see that there's a right and wrong answer to this. but if all my guitar heroes are wrong according to a couple kids on a guitar forum.

then by all means.

wrong is just dandy with me.

We've noticed.
I'd like to mention that just because it LOOKS like they anchor on a video or whatever, it doesn't mean they do.

I LOOK like I anchor when I see myself on video, but I DON'T.

So don't be so presumptuous as to the details of those guys' technique... Because I can guarantee you're wrong on most.

... And GOD-DAMN, some of you blokes are bloody stubborn.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
lets just look at some of the players who anchor.

alexi laiho
micheal angelo batio
john petrucci
steve morse
yngwie malmsteen
tony macalpine
steve vai
eric johnson
van halen

Too bad none of them have dirt on Shawn Lane technically, though players like MAB come close. But in complexity

Lane licks > MAB licks

A.) I've long since stopped caring about what others think about anything. I'm happier this way ^_^
B.) Comparitevly (as I am now stating for the 3rd time) those players arn't nearly as technically good as Shawn Lane.

Which proves my point once again, you can become a good player with anchoring, but you can be MUCH better unanchored.

FP and Resi pretty much outline the majority of the rest of my opinions on this matter so I won't bother repeating them.
Quote by Resiliance
I'd like to mention that just because it LOOKS like they anchor on a video or whatever, it doesn't mean they do.

Absolutely right. Plus, what's also invloved, is playing vs practicing.

It's a bit similar to the wrist vs elbow debate. If you're just looking at video you
simply cannot tell. In my Jimmy Bruno picking video, he says right up front his
motion comes from the elbow. If you watched him, it looks like wrist. He explains
why it does look like wrist.

Besides, even if someone IS anchoring on a video, it's pretty much irrelevant.
As I've said before, floating hand is a PRACTICE device. When you have the
arm motion and control down from that, it doesn't matter so much if you do or
don't while PLAYING. The only thing that matters when playing is the music.
Quote by Freepower

Oh, good ol' carpal tunnel.

how can anchoring be the cause when he's got it in both hands?

He doesnt anchor...

i'm pretty sure he is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZC9QHc3gLQ&search=steve%20vai

You're putting words into their mouths there, homeboy. What ARE their opinions? I've never, literally never, heard any of them advocating anchoring.

um...but they do it? is that not advocating it?
^ no, advocating it would be advocating it.

I would avocate practicing below 60bpm quarter notes, but that doesnt mean i DO it all the time.

Speaking of Vai, crossroads was 86, and that guitar heros concert with brian may, if im right, was 92.

Its almost as if he got it out of his playing on purpose...

Never seen someone start to anchor though... apart from you, and if you want to believe your rhetoric, then your opinion doesnt matter because you're a teenage boy on the internet. Whether your personal experience with guitar matters or not depends on your fame and preference.
I don't really care what you believe. I'm just trying to get you guys to leave people alone and let them play guitar how they want to. telling them there's 2 ways to do something is one thing. its their choice whether or not to anchor. and most of the people we know to have amazing technique do anchor. stop telling them its a beginner thing, stop telling people its wrong. stop telling people its the lazy thing to do.

Quote by Freepower

Never seen someone start to anchor though... apart from you, and if you want to believe your rhetoric, then your opinion doesnt matter because you're a teenage boy on the internet. Whether your personal experience with guitar matters or not depends on your fame and preference.

I've been trying to play anchored for the last 2 weeks, i don't know why but i allways thought that other people do it so i should to, it was a real pain though and i hated it, thanks for letting me stop without feeling like a quitter.
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by scheck006
I don't really care what you believe. telling them there's 2 ways to do something is one thing. its their choice whether or not to anchor.

That's very true...

Quote by scheck006
and most of the people we know to have amazing technique do anchor.

This certainly isn't.

stop telling them its a beginner thing, stop telling people its wrong. stop telling people its the lazy thing to do.

It is.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by scheck006
I don't really care what you believe. I'm just trying to get you guys to leave people alone and let them play guitar how they want to. telling them there's 2 ways to do something is one thing. its their choice whether or not to anchor. and most of the people we know to have amazing technique do anchor. stop telling them its a beginner thing, stop telling people its wrong. stop telling people its the lazy thing to do.

Oh of course it's your choice. But don't for one minute think that anchoring is not the lazy way out, because it most definitely is. It most definitely is a beginner teqnique as well, because as most players progress and get more knowledgeable about their instrument, they start to seek out more efficient and advanced ways of playing.

Of course, there are always those who stay the same; never getting better, never advancing...
Quote by mrFood
I usually just rest my hand on the bridge.

I did that too. But I pick much faster now that I don't. Honestly, some of you guys are just stubborn.

It is a person's choice whther he or she wants to anchor, but I believe not anchoring works better. Ask anyone who doesn't play with an anchor with their picking hand. I bet none of them would say that they prefer anchoring over not anchoring.

People who say anchoring is better: Have you even tried not anchoring? And I don't mean playing 5 riffs without an anchor and saying "Oh, this doesn't work, I like anchoring better!". I mean actually trying to learn to anchor. It is uncomfortable first, but you have to give it a chance and "accept it". If you give up right away, no **** you're not going to get more accurate or speedier in picking. If you fight it thinking "No, this won't work it sucks! It is too uncomfortable!" then you aren't going to get anywhere either. You have to try and not be fooled by how not anchoring feels when you first start.

Like I said, I used to anchor, but when you learn to not anchor, I can bet you that you won't want to go back.

-KR
I do place my pinky on the body of the guitar, but not attached to anything like a pickup.

I video taped myself jamming and I only do that when I'm on the bottom strings and I naturally unhook myself when I start going higher or play something faster. Weird huh? Because I don't technically grab anything my picking hand moves similar to a joystick. There's no real pressure on my hands as some would say but I also have some loose ligaments and joints in my wrists so I'm a special case. I got out of the habit but since I adjust myself easily and trying to be a shreader is like trying to be a racecar driver in a Model T I don't see a big problem. I prefer to with whatever my hands naturally do, I tend not to think about it. Lately they tend not to anchor too often.

The biggest part of playing guitar well is trusting your hands.

Um... and there are way too many variables that go into playing that can affect growth and such that go completely unoticed. Not to say that trying something that could improve your playing is bad... Maybe the reason you're not playing as fast as Michael Angelo Batio is because there is some nuance of your playing that is hindering your growth. This nuance may not be as noticable or as discussed as anchoring and you might not even know about it throughout your whole life.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

It is a person's choice whther he or she wants to anchor, but I believe not anchoring works better. Ask anyone who doesn't play with an anchor with their picking hand. I bet none of them would say that they prefer anchoring over not anchoring.

well no **** seeing as that's how they prefer to pick.

People who say anchoring is better: Have you even tried not anchoring? And I don't mean playing 5 riffs without an anchor and saying "Oh, this doesn't work, I like anchoring better!". I mean actually trying to learn to anchor. It is uncomfortable first, but you have to give it a chance and "accept it". If you give up right away, no **** you're not going to get more accurate or speedier in picking. If you fight it thinking "No, this won't work it sucks! It is too uncomfortable!" then you aren't going to get anywhere either. You have to try and not be fooled by how not anchoring feels when you first start.

this is what you people dont' get.

noone has said anchoring was better. noone has tried to force you to anchor (unlike the other side of the argument). its just simply not the wrong way to play. its about how you want to play your guitar.
^ believe it or not, we cant actually force you, and nor will we actually force you into playing unanchored. We just dont see it as in any way on par with a floating hand as far as technique goes. Preference, sure. You really want to anchor? Read this thread, say, "Ok, i still want to anchor" and do it. Just dont tell us that its more accurate, faster, looser or easier to learn. It aint, and no-ones disagreed. (yet)

And personally, i would prefer fast and loose picking as opposed to...erm... whatever it is anchoring offers. Perhaps really odd chord picking patterns really DO need a reference point, but no-ones said it yet.

Quote by NotAJock2Day
Um... and there are way too many variables that go into playing that can affect growth and such that go completely unoticed. Not to say that trying something that could improve your playing is bad... Maybe the reason you're not playing as fast as Michael Angelo Batio is because there is some nuance of your playing that is hindering your growth. This nuance may not be as noticable or as discussed as anchoring and you might not even know about it throughout your whole life.

100% correct.

Shoulder tension being a major one, and my current arch enemy.
^ easier motion, and you have one less thing to worry about - ie, your anchor.

When you're playing fast your only realistic point of reference is your last string, anyway - otherwise a millimeter of anchoring being off would lead to all your picking being atrociously innaccurate. Really, when you anchor, you just add another stable point of reference to some others - because you simply havent learnt well enough where your strings are yet.
Riiiiiiight. No-one. I just assumed a point of reference would need to be a kind of stationary point that actually made picking easier - rather than just a point from which you then apply learnt spacial awareness to a whole new enviroment.

Ah. Well, if its the latter, then theres even LESS point in anchoring, if you dont even have a point of reference then why do it? There's actually no reason. Every time you pick you have to rely on the only really constant parts of string awareness - the strings.
Quote by Freepower
Riiiiiiight. No-one. I just assumed a point of reference would need to be a kind of stationary point that actually made picking easier - rather than just a point from which you then apply learnt spacial awareness to a whole new enviroment.

Ah. Well, if its the latter, then theres even LESS point in anchoring, if you dont even have a point of reference then why do it? There's actually no reason. Every time you pick you have to rely on the only really constant parts of string awareness - the strings.

since when did we start arguing about having a reason to anchor? I think this whole time we've tried to say it was personal preference.
We started arguing because you gave the following reasons for anchoring -

Quote by scheck006
you lose accuracy if you don't anchor.

You'll naturally start to come off if you pick too fast, so that's what I do.

just let it go free if you want to pick a million miles and hour.

usually if you are doing that you're not doing some mad inside picking or alternate picking an arpeggio. that's why you can afford a loss in accuracy.

and then we went down the long dark road of bringing guitar gods into it, and then the old fashioned "its just preference...errr, but ones better road" and now we're here, having finally decided that actually, there's no reason to anchor, and lots of reasons not to. Which is bizarrely, what always happens with these threads.