Page 1 of 2
myvaliantleap
UG Freak
686 IQ
Basically I was just wondering what you guys and gals think of Thrice. I really liked the older stuff. The Artist In the Ambulance was ok, but wasn't my favorite. I really don't like the new album, Vehissu (sp?). I have only listened to it once but it turned me off from the get go. I really did not like how almost every song starts of with piano. That just got old. I do love the Image of the Invisible song though. Well, anyways I was just wondering what you guys thought.
pinion18
UG Member
178 IQ
I thought Artist in the Ambulance was a great album. I didn't like the two previous efforts at all, because to me they were boring and all sounded the same. Vheissu I have only heard twice and that's because I knew right off the bat they were going in the wrong direction. I wish they would have continued with their style from AITA. Only bad thing I can say is that I really don't like his voice.
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.
1,699 IQ
When I saw them live they were ohkay, a bit weak, but then they did come on after Circa Survive.

New stuff is alright.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

waldorphPRS41
quixotic
1,984 IQ
I personally like the new cd the best. I liked the first two alright, TAITA was not very good IMO minus the title song.
.:bleednomore:.
133 IQ
Theyre pretty good.
They were sick live live when i saw them
And i pretty much like all of their CDs so thats a plus.
Rabbits?

Quote by Grovermans
why would she suck your dick?

she's not related to you...
GuitarSymphony
UG Freak
1,206 IQ
I really dig Thrice. They really try to push their work. I was however dissapointed with Vehessieu or w/e. They're idea of change was not a bad idea, their excution however was lacking. I felt like a lot of the songs sounded to much the same, the guitar just lacked to much for me. I felt like Thrice turned into some Radiohead wannabes. On top of that the lyrics lacked so much compared to their previous stuff. AITA had some amazing lyrics, ever read the lyrics to Abolition of a Man? That's deep stuff.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
hXcMacbeth3
256 IQ
thrice is basically my favorite band...i think they are some of the most talented muscians ou there, they havent put out an album i didnt like...although i am in love with artist in the ambulance and vheissu
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
DeliriumTrigger
10 IQ
I love them. Vheissu is my favourite album, but I do get where GuitarSymphony is coming from when he calls them Radiohead ripoffs. I though TAITA was very weak, though, except for a couple of songs.
FlyingFuc!<
UG Newbie
824 IQ
it hurts my brain to understand how people can NOT like thrice. I mean anyone who listens to hardcore or heavier music should be able to appreciate how ahead of the trend they were, perfectly mixing punk and metal since first impressions and identity crisis. Personally my favorite was illusions of safety, every single song is great. and to ppl who say they AITA, yeah it's great, but defnititely give IOS a chance, i mean deadbolt, how much better can it get?
hXcMacbeth3
256 IQ
^ i know exactly what you mean...and for whoever said vheissu's lyrics are lacking or whatever...thats rediculous, i though vheissu had thrice's best lyrics to date
J Lock
318 IQ
Amazing.
Simply amazing.
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
scousertommy
Ro
604 IQ
Thrice are the best band existing under the 'hardcore' label. Their music is light years ahead of every other brand of punk or metal. What's great about Thrice is that they don't rely on any of the commercial gimmickry that other punk/metal bands do. The music is just far more mature and honest.
Breath of fresh air.
ρ
dead_kennedy
995 IQ
i love all of Thrice's stuff, identity crisis has to be my favourite record though. i still haven't seen them live yet, are they actually any good? from what i heard from my guitarist (who went to go see them with Coheed, and doesn't really like Thrice), they weren't all that great. may have just had a bad day though, it happens.
rites of nothing.
Kaney
UG Newbie
44 IQ
i have alot of respect for thrice, their old stuff was amazing but so many new bands are copying their style pretty unsuccesfully they decided to try something newer and maturer and it paid off as after a few listens you realise vheissu is their most mature album to date.
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.
1,699 IQ
Quote by dead_kennedy
i love all of Thrice's stuff, identity crisis has to be my favourite record though. i still haven't seen them live yet, are they actually any good? from what i heard from my guitarist (who went to go see them with Coheed, and doesn't really like Thrice), they weren't all that great. may have just had a bad day though, it happens.

I saw them with Coheed and they were weak as I said above.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

saga_7
Alexi Laiho Wannabe
795 IQ
im goin to see them in 6 days.. at ToC.. in london ontario.. ther new stuff suuckks
Quote by MedicreDemon
Metalheads aren't assholes.

It's the damn Blues fans.

Quote by Stimpomatic
one of my friends wouldnt let me play turok 2 for the n64 with him so i threw my controller at the back of his head and hit him pretty hard.

haha
Independent27
83 IQ
Illusion of Safety is my favorite, and it would be even if it just had TAAATD.

And to whoever, asked, they're great live.
myvaliantleap
UG Freak
686 IQ
Well when I saw Thrice live they were amazing. They were at Warped last year (yea, yea, bring on the flames) and I absolutely loved them. I pushed through the crowd for a good 15 minutes only to find out that MCR was starting late and almost died when 1,00,000 teeny boppers started pogoing around me. Needless to say I left and came back to see Thrice. Again, they were amazing. They were one of the best bands I saw there and they played alot of their older stuff off of The Illusion of Safety.
hXcMacbeth3
256 IQ
thrice is amazing live
ieatcellphones
32 IQ
One of my favorites EVER. Last time I saw them live was right after TAITA had been released. That was an amazing show.

I can rock Vheissu at certain moment, where their other albums I can put in at anytime and find something that feels right. Teppei is my god.
gunsn'pjs
198 IQ
i just saw them at taste of chaos and i loved them. i love most of there stuff. it took me a few listens to appreciate the new cd. it was only because i was anticipating the sound would sound like heavier thrice stuff. but when i really sat down and listened to it i relized how great they are as musicians. i would say they r one of the more talented bands around today.
Jetty
654 IQ
thrice pwns.

arist in the ambulance album pwns.

basically they'll pwn you.

i love em.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Unbending_Soul
..so you wanna make out?
10 IQ
i like all of their stuff that i've heard. their new stuff is good but it's not like them at all. i still like it tho just Artist is their best cd hopefully they'll go back to the heavy stuff but once again this is an EMO band they aren't hardcore or i dont consider them to be but theyre still one of the best out there now
reasonforchange
10 IQ
Quote by scousertommy
Thrice are the best band existing under the 'hardcore' label. Their music is light years ahead of every other brand of punk or metal....

I wouldnt go that far. Thrice are moreso screamo even then hardcore, and to call them the best thing ever to exist in the hardcore genre is just absurd.
AbsentiA
Fiddy-one-Fiddy
81 IQ
this is an EMO band

You are kidding right? I hardly think they would consider themselves emo.

These guys are absolutely amazing. And if any of you actually bothered to watch "If we could only see us now" then you would have heard them talk about how they aren't into making the same album twice, so quit asking them to do so. Quite frankly, I think they are some of the best songwriters of our time, and possibly for years to come no matter what they happen to be doing musically at the time. You can actually hear them maturing from album to album. It really is a wonderful thing.
Guitars: Agile 2800DLX (LH), Fender Standard Strat (LH)
Amps: Peavey 5150 II, Peavey ValveKing 112
Effects: Boss Ge-7, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Digitech Digi-Delay, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
shai_savant
212 IQ
better than every other band in their genre
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
Small Distracti
Jesus yo quiero que este
44 IQ
They seem like a pretty balanced mix of both hardcore and emo to me.
Either way, I enjoy them everyonce and awhile.
My Gear

-Epi Les Paul
-Peavey XXX 212 Combo
-Yamaha Magicstomp Box
-Digitech Hot Head Distortion
Smoothie
I am the eggman.
199 IQ
They suck live, they have no stage presence whatsoever.
Guitarrist living in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and looking to join a band.
J Lock
318 IQ
Who did you see them with?
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
mer_der_noms
Doesn't roll on Shabbos
396 IQ
Eh..I like Artist in The Ambulance...Vheissu was decent..pretty decent band...couldn't stand listening to thme all the time though.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
FireRage
FireRage
23 IQ
Personnaly, I LOVE thrice. I think they have a lot of great stuff, but yeah, Vhisnu wasn't the greatest. I'm a much bigger fan of Artist in teh ambulence. I still love the new stuff, but Artist is much better.

Mind you, Image of the invisible kicks @$$. Great video, too.
TommyWIg
UG's Under-Achiever
129 IQ
great band, illusion of safety is my fav.
Do a barrel roll!
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
I've heard a few Thrice tracks and they sound pretty average and not as talented as people are making them out to be, but can anybody recommend a few standout songs?
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
SilentSpectacle
.'_;.'./)'
5,781 IQ
Quote by LedZeppelin
I've heard a few Thrice tracks and they sound pretty average and not as talented as people are making them out to be, but can anybody recommend a few standout songs?

Harder ones: Deadbolt, Paper Tigers
Softer ones: Artist In The Ambulance, Stare At The Sun

At least those are my favorites.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
I love Thrice.

I said something in the other Thrice thread about them being great across every album, despite changing sounds. I think that's why I like them, they can do pretty much any sound. Vheissu has to be my favourite though, and this from someone who's been listening to Thrice for a good few years now.

I saw them live in 2003, but it was at Reading Festival, so I don't think it's really the same as a club or 'proper' gig. They were alright, but weren't helped by the tiny, uninterested crowd and looked lost on the big stage (something I actually find comforting because I prefer smaller venues). I met them and they were nice blokes.
Zamboni
is moist.
2,792 IQ
Thrice is my favorite band of all time.

Every album is a new experience, and builds upon the foundations laid by the latter album.

Always evolving, always impressing, and they are almost CD quality live.

(Plus, Dustin's lyrics are probably the best out there in modern music.)