Page 4 of 12
Hell yeah.

On the Nile forum though, Karl Sanders posted the scales that Nile play in some bulletin. I don't post there, but apparently he does, should be worth checking out. I think it's nilechat.net. Someday I'll get around to learning all of them

Here it is:

"The Double Harmonic Minor, the diminished, 5th mode Harmonic Minor, Phrygian, The Byzantine, The Snake Charmer, Hirojoshi, Kumoi, Hungarian Minor all see lots of action."
Last edited by SickMetal at Apr 13, 2006,
Sweet I'll check it out.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
synester gates of avenged sevenfold kills the guitar other two r probly Randy Rhoads and Slash
Rhoads, Slash, Vai, Satriani, EVH, John Sykes.

Those are the people I've actually broken down licks from and analysed some of their techniques and elements of style.
no
Quote by satorik
synester gates of avenged sevenfold kills the guitar

You would be right about that ......
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
Eww...an A7X fan. Honestly, what the crap is it these days with all the "new wave of metal" bands? They pretty much all suck. With most of them, they're either straight emo or some stupid "-core" genre. The way I see it, they've gotten halfway to where they should be - lead guitarists, check. Locking trems, check. Halfway-decent guitar solos, check. But they all have this weird thing with EMG pickups, huge amounts of distortion, and screamy vocals. Plus emo flops, or black nail polish in the case of Alexi Laiho. Yes Alexi, we know you can rip off a Bmin7b5 arpeggio at 240 BPM. But that doesn't stop you from being in a crappy band and ripping off Vai's whammy tricks.

I consider it my duty as a guitarist to form a band and set these whiny emo/metal/hard/emometal/hardemo/hardmetal-core buggers straight.

I'm done being opinionated now...
no
Last edited by bucky_2300 at Apr 22, 2006,
^Word.

If you're gonna try and be a heavy, ass kickin band, for God's sake DO IT!

COB's pretty good though IMO, hella better than A7X. Bands like them, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, etc should set the standards for modern metal.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Quote by apocalypse13
^Word.

If you're gonna try and be a heavy, ass kickin band, for God's sake DO IT!

COB's pretty good though IMO, hella better than A7X. Bands like them, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, etc should set the standards for modern metal.

Well, COB is still considered as death (?) metal and A7X is that homoXcore, so it's pretty obvious that COB are helluva a lot better.
Quote by Stratwizard
^Berzerker. That video is teh pwnage. I love those guys!

Third album is awesome. Some songs suck but others... other songs have some of the most destructive riff-drum combos i've ever heard. Just ignore the song titles...

And the masks are gone.
John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, and Steve Vai
"Hate is just baggage, lifes too short to be pissed off at everybody all the time." - American History X

Founder of the official Liquid Tension Experiment club, PM me to join!

In Soviet Russia, Acid Trips You!
Quote by Freepower
Third album is awesome. Some songs suck but others... other songs have some of the most destructive riff-drum combos i've ever heard. Just ignore the song titles...

And the masks are gone.

Yes, finally. I mean, they look enough evil already without them. The album's amaziing!
Quote by Freepower

And the masks are gone.

Is it up to par with dissimulate?
I've only heard all about you, and it sucked
</IMO>
Quote by Stratwizard
Yes, finally. I mean, they look enough evil already without them.

That's not the point! The point was the seperation from humanity... that and the fact the focus of the album was (speaking plainly here, from what i can gather) a nasty break-up...well, i had i my doubts. But still. The masks are rotting, what can you do?

And its certainly on par with Dissimulate, all about you is the most amazingly **** tune they've ever done, i have to skip it. Luckily, its a one off.

Seriously though, that song's about as heavy as an emo band's first single - and the title fits too. When you have double kick drums with samples that outgun the death star, your guitarist is happy at 330bpm, and your visage turns adamantium to water...well, if it sounds like pop you're doing something wrong.

Still, World of Tomorrow, Farewell, Afterlife, As the World Waits...definately up there with the best. Be warned though, the sound has changed a little, it doesnt sound like Reality, Deform, the classics. Still The Berzerker though.

Stratwizard, was it you i turned onto the berzerker or did you already know em? Someone i know i turned onto the berzerker for the first time...
Quote by Stratwizard
Well, COB is still considered as death (?) metal and A7X is that homoXcore, so it's pretty obvious that COB are helluva a lot better.
yeah fo sho.

But to the "?," they're usually considered Melodic Death Metal.

Death Metal's more like Nile, Morbid Angel, etc.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by Freepower

Stratwizard, was it you i turned onto the berzerker or did you already know em? Someone i know i turned onto the berzerker for the first time...

Umm... I've listened them for quite a while. Nice contrast to the more symphonic/melodic black metal. Damn, I wanna go to their gig!!

Quote by apocalypse13
yeah fo sho.

But to the "?," they're usually considered Melodic Death Metal.

Death Metal's more like Nile, Morbid Angel, etc.

COB's most recent album is far from melo-death. It sounds more like thrash with some industrial elements.
Quote by Stratwizard
Umm... I've listened them for quite a while. Nice contrast to the more symphonic/melodic black metal. Damn, I wanna go to their gig!!

I know someone, who knows someone who went to a glasgow gig on their last tour. Came back alive, but then, he's a hard bastard and 6 foot plus.
Steve Vai, Michael Romeo and David Gilmour.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Freepower
I know someone, who knows someone who went to a glasgow gig on their last tour. Came back alive, but then, he's a hard bastard and 6 foot plus.

Yes. Reads in Berzerker's website about the gigs: "This is not a musical event."
Wow, I think Ill pass on any Berzerker concerts then, out of fear of being mauled. Hahaha..being a skinny 5'6 kid isnt very smart in that situation. Berzerker are amazing, although I cant listen to them for very long for some reason I tire quickly of it, its amazing nonetheless.
For influences, Id say Petrucci, Gilmour, Hendrix. I thought hendrix was like the best guitar player ever until I heard a hendrix cover by yngwie, bought Rising Force and realized that I was an idiot. I still think Jimi has some serious mojo though. Gilmour's dynamics and slow melodic playing are just creamy, and I love Petrucci's melodic solos and compositions. As for the Kirk Hammett issue, alot of his solos sound like arranged noise, and compared to the really great players, his technique is crap... P.S. That guy from necrophagist is pretty nuts ...sick video, I had never heard any of their stuff.
^Muhammed is fukin awesome.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

I think my three main influences are Petrucci, Yngwie and James Murphy.

Very Honourable mentions go to: Chuck Schuldiner (RIP), Kirk Hammet, Dimebag (RIP), Dave Mustaine and Steve Vai.

Honourable metions go to: Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Alex Lifeson and Bill Steer
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
The Official Metal Recommendation Thread
Hmm I'd be quite interested to see the Berzerker- I'm only 5'10 but I'm 16 stone 7 and I was an International rugby player...I think I'd be able to survive.
Freepower, sorry if this is a noobish question but does their actually solo at 330 bpm?
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Quote by HammerForce

Freepower, sorry if this is a noobish question but does their actually solo at 330 bpm?

Pah, SOLOING at 330bpm is for pussies. They play insane riffage through songs at 330.
^Fair enough I haven't heard very much of them, I just think the idea of seeing a band so heavy would be quite cool.
Quote by Bill69

I'll give it a shot, if I can get hold of any, Limewire doesn't work on my Uni network, I think I can get torrents to but I'm not too sure about which ports are open....
Quote by Bill69

Quote by Freepower
Pah, SOLOING at 330bpm is for pussies. They play insane riffage through songs at 330.

And all downstrokes.
Quote by Stratwizard
And all downstrokes.

To be fair, massacre's 140. Course, its not exactly single string downstrokes. Bloody hard, you ever tried it?

Have you the dvd? Must-see!
^I got the dvd, the Makeing of the self-titled documentary is worth the money alone

man , Sam (Bass) falls asleep alot in that dvd
</IMO>