Page 5 of 12
Its hard to narrow it down to 3 but I know that my number one musical influence is Vinnie Moore. Also Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman

Mike.
Wait what was the topic again? lol
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

1. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren
2. John Petrucci
3. Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield

Why does everyone hate Kirk Hammet?

Yeah, bloody oath. He deserves way more respect than he gets around here.

EDIT: Also, why would you put MAB in your top 3 influences? High nps/technical ability should be one of the LAST things you consider. MAB is fast, and that's it.
Last edited by gimme_fuel_89 at May 2, 2006,
In no particular order
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Devin Townsend
Mike patton.
These three are the main influences on my musical output, Now for shredders (again in no particular order)

Muhammed Sucimez
John Petrucci
Ron Thal
</IMO>
Quote by gimme_fuel_89
1. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren
2. John Petrucci
3. Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield

Yeah, bloody oath. He deserves way more respect than he gets around here.

EDIT: Also, why would you put MAB in your top 3 influences? High nps/technical ability should be one of the LAST things you consider. MAB is fast, and that's it.

Noone hates Kirk Hammett... Just most of his fans.

And dude, shut up about MAB... He's more than fast, just because you can't see it doesn't mean he isn't.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
1) Eddie Van Halen
2) Yngwie Johann Malmsteen
3)Luca Turilli
Clip, Clop, Clip, Clop, Clip, Clop.....BANG! BANG! BANG!.....clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop...

^ Amish Drive-By
1. Zakk Wylde
2. Dave Mustaine
3. Alex Skolnick
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Van Halen, Mark Tremonti.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Noone hates Kirk Hammett... Just most of his fans.

Lol, true. That makes it even worse........

And dude, shut up about MAB... He's more than fast, just because you can't see it doesn't mean he isn't.

I highly disagree. I can see that Shawn Lane is more than just fast.
Last edited by gimme_fuel_89 at May 3, 2006,
^Well you obviously don't know/care that he has a degree in jazz composition and each year at NAMM he plays some shweet jazzy stuff...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by gimme_fuel_89

I highly disagree. I can see that Shawn Lane is more than just fast.

can you? or are you just basing this off of what most of the people in this forum say...
also funny how everyone ignores the slower melodies mab has, like the theme for prog, or planet gemini.
ZZ Top
Joe Stariani
Jimmy Page
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Quote by metal_man12
can you? or are you just basing this off of what most of the people in this forum say...
also funny how everyone ignores the slower melodies mab has, like the theme for prog, or planet gemini.

dont talk without knowing. Many of us love mab, or at least i do.
I think he can be a wanker when he wants to be, but I've heard some pretty sweet stuff by him though.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by PooKoo

im not saying most people in the shred forum are biased, im just implying that the person i quoted might be...
Quote by metal_man12

No, I actually have heard Shawn Lane play. I've also heard MAB play, and what I've heard (while not everything) is pure wankery.
Quote by PooKoo

I know, people need to listen to more then one song by MAB.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Don't judge MAB after listening just No Boundaries.

I Do For You is an amazing song, just like Planet Gemini.
Quote by HammerForce
Hmm I'd be quite interested to see the Berzerker- I'm only 5'10 but I'm 16 stone 7 and I was an International rugby player...I think I'd be able to survive.
Freepower, sorry if this is a noobish question but does their actually solo at 330 bpm?

Im 6'2 and i weigh about 16 stone and i wouldnt go to one of those concerts...

My uni network wont let me use limewire or torrents which is a real bastard because the connection speed is unbelievable...

Id say my 3 influences are-
Gilbert
Vai
Hendrix

When im playing a rock solo, i cant help falling back into all the Gilbert stuff ive learned, when im doing amient stuff i ALWAYS end up doing some sort of Vai thing--think, I know Youre Here, Feathers, Boston Rain melody, tender surrender--and when im doin chords, i always end up doing Hendrix style slides, double stops etc--Castles Made of Sand, Little Wing, Angel, Wind Cries Mary etc...

Theres also quite a lot of SRV and Eric Johnson when i feel bluesy.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by PooKoo

He's awesome, i almost cant see why people DONT like him, he's got it all, really...

Including a sense of metal-related humour.
Last edited by Freepower at May 4, 2006,
Quote by wil
Im 6'2 and i weigh about 16 stone and i wouldnt go to one of those concerts...

16 stone?

I'd go and I'm not that big. About 6'1 and 130 pounds. It can't be that bad. Just stay moving and maybe get on top of the crowd. As long as you stay moving and don't swing at someone, I think you'd be fine.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

^ I'm 180cm tall and weigh 80 kg, and I got anahilated at a cannibal corpse show!
I would go to that show regardless, because it's teh berzerkah
</IMO>
i know i'm asking to be flamed but the 3 guys who really got me interested in guitar are:

1. hendrix
2. stevie ray vaughn

and...yes yes i know...3. slash

the guy is nowhere near the best guitarist by any means but his stuff just got me going and made me wanta play guitar. of course now my eyes are open to so much more.

come on i know theres someone else with the slash skeleton in his closet
Quote by bonchie1
i know i'm asking to be flamed but the 3 guys who really got me interested in guitar are:

1. hendrix
2. stevie ray vaughn

and...yes yes i know...3. slash

the guy is nowhere near the best guitarist by any means but his stuff just got me going and made me wanta play guitar. of course now my eyes are open to so much more.

come on i know theres someone else with the slash skeleton in his closet

Why would someone flame you? Just because someone might not like them, they're still your influences.

Besides, Slash is brilliant.
People get flamed for being ignorant asshats and saying that Slash is the best guitarist on the history of earth and if someone doesn't think so too, they're an ignorant moron. If you like him, that's fine.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by apocalypse13
16 stone?

I'd go and I'm not that big. About 6'1 and 130 pounds. It can't be that bad. Just stay moving and maybe get on top of the crowd. As long as you stay moving and don't swing at someone, I think you'd be fine.

i dont really think i look it--thats a pretty gay messaround photo but its the only recent one i have --but what i mean is, i know a lot of stuff about those type of concerts is hype, but i go to a concert to listen, not to be kicked/bled/puked upon--i dont have much of a temper so if some prick starts banging into me or bouncing off me id be liable to smack him one, then probably get killed by a bunch of psychos...THAT'S why i wouldnt go to one of those concerts.
Attachments:
me.jpg
Thank God im an atheist
I've been in a "zombiecore(www.sendmoreparamedics.com)" pit and I was like 165 cm at the time and 55-60 kilos and I didn't have any problems at all, but I doubt they are anywhere near as heavy as the berzerker and it was just an opening act so nobody was really that interested in their music.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by apocalypse13
People get flamed for being ignorant asshats and saying that Slash is the best guitarist on the history of earth and if someone doesn't think so too, they're an ignorant moron. If you like him, that's fine.

ahh i see. i've been a lurker for along time and i got the impression everyone hated him on this forum.

i don't think hes a top guitarist but he is a brilliant riff writer and i love his soloing even if it is raw and untechnically polished sometimes.
There are too many influences (big and small). But my top three at the moment would be Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrell, and Alexi Laiho.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
I have sooo many... but I'll post the ones I love the most.

John Frusciante, Flea and John Paul Jones.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
Quote by bonchie1

i don't think hes a top guitarist but he is a brilliant riff writer and i love his soloing even if it is raw and untechnically polished sometimes.

agreed
Quote by splice
1.kurt cobain
2.billy joel armstrong
3.jimmy hendricks

but seriously i dk who my influences are yet....im big into rhoads and satch but ive not been playing too awful long

Well thats obvious, saying Kurt Cobain and Billy Joe are "good" guitarists is kind of lame; cobain is a great song writer, but i can learn mostly every Nirvana song in like 22 seconds. And, it's spelled Jimi Hendrix =)

For Me,
Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, and Stevie Ray Vaughan