SuicideNation
UG's Doom Child
472 IQ
I have to say i was pretty surprised by what i've heard from Mr. John Lowry or the man better known as 'John 5'. I was told that he had recorded a solo album and that he is a pretty unique and creative guitarist outside his most popular projects like Marilyn Manson. I seemed uninterested and uninspired for some reason but today i felt the urge to check him out, out of sheer randomness and i was pretty shocked. He is to me a pretty interesting guitar player and Vertigo is a very good experimental/shred album with alot of bits and pieces of other music genres mixed into the fold. I know their have been some mixed reactions about him especially since his guitar playing is so "out their" (considering he plays really twangy country-shred sometimes). I still have yet to listen to the other album Songs For Sanity.
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
didnt he work with avril lavigne???
NevermorePsalm
Steven Wilson's Hippy
556 IQ
Hes very good and creative. Just a bit weird. Although he's moving far away from the marilyn manson era weird.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
He pwns

Fesity Cadavers and Needles, CA are focking pwnage.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
I've heard Vertigo (the album) and to be honest I didn't like it at all...
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Master Of Shred
Banned
470 IQ
^Yeah same, I heard great things about it, but I was kind of dissapointed when I heard it.

He sounds like a bad version of IA if you ask me.
Tom Martin
Busy busy busy
1,157 IQ
I loved that album, especially the track 'Thin Lines, Flatlines'. It's such a different album compared to what else is around nowadays. I havn't looked into Songs For Sanity yet, and I probably wont, but Vertigo is still good, despite the awful album cover.
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
John 5 was the first shred artist i ever listened to, so i've developed into a big fan.

I've listened to both his albums about 20 times in all, partly because my record collection is crap, and partly because they are really good.

He has some killer choruses on his two albums, just check out 'Thin Lines Flat Lines' of Vertigo or 'Blues Balls' from Songs of Sanity but he gets a bit familiar when you listen closely. Still, his style of music is very refreshing and i hope he will diversify a bit more on his next album.
Need.New.Sig.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
I found him boring
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
I like his stuff..it's quite weird but it's cool, he's quite creative and uses some weird noises and techniques to a cool effect.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
malmsteen61
UG's jim morrison fanatic
182 IQ
hes a great player i like his bluegrass stuff the best if you like him you should check out rob zombies educated horses album he doesnt play as good as he does in his solo albums but it has the right mood for robs voice
mingles
I am beautiful
864 IQ
He's really good, but only plays for the paycheck it seems. I would too though if i was in his position.
Read my post. Not this.
Avril_Is_Girl
13 IQ
Quote by splice
didnt he work with avril lavigne???

no
AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL AVRIL
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by mingles
He's really good, but only plays for the paycheck it seems. I would too though if i was in his position.

Er...what's that supposed to mean?
Need.New.Sig.
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by Stratwizard
^It means that he doesn't play with emotion.

Phhft...must be one of those annoying Yngwie bashing n00bs....
Need.New.Sig.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
I just don't think scales should be counted as music.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by pavan

Peace man! Peace!
Need.New.Sig.
JkHalen
175 IQ
Quote by pavan

Well learning scales helps on technical stuff which is..pretty much shred..and shred is "a type of music"..scales are not counted as music, but they are part of the music.
Quote by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by pavan

Don't quote my sig!
JkHalen
175 IQ
^ that was...nice
Quote by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
^yeah he was joking btw,
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
TheI7ark
Guitars Suck
110 IQ
I wasn't the biggest fan of his first album, but his second was quite good. Especially the duet with Vai.
Doubleday
Sailor Scout
611 IQ
^ 2nd. First album isn't too hot, second rules.

Scales are music. Get used to it, or go play some Slayer.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
paddyo
?
340 IQ
^Eh,it was a joke...They're not that stupid,does the fact that this is the Shred forum not mean anything to you people anymore!?
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
TheI7ark
Guitars Suck
110 IQ
Quote by paddyo
^Eh,it was a joke...They're not that stupid,does the fact that this is the Shred forum not mean anything to you people anymore!?

This is the shred forum?
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
I thought this was the "no emotion 789nps wankery forum" Oh wait, but that's shred! Silly me!