gtrfrk123
R.I.P. Syd Barrett
3,477 IQ
I'm starting a band. We should be playing very very soon. I was wondering if you have to be a certain age to play gigs. If so what is it.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Last edited by gtrfrk123 at Apr 8, 2006,
MoBscene
UG Member
195 IQ
probley not , but if there was it would be 16, or 21
16 being able to drive
21 being able to drink
young_is_god
cha-rite
176 IQ
check with the venues, some might be funny wi having under 18's play
keep blues alive
i8ababy
ROCKIN...[ahem]...geek
44 IQ
Well, first of all, it just depends on where you want to gig. For example, a bar might maintain their policy of not allowing anyone under the age of 21 in, which would make you exempt from playing a gig there. But you just have to ask and see. I think you need to worry about playing together and making sure you guys can do it first though. I've been in bands that just don't work well together and I've been in fantastic bands, like the one I'm in now. You just never know how things are going to work before you guys actually work together. All the same I wish you guys the best of luck!
"Sleep with one eye open,
Gripping your pillow tight"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman"
JoHNNERz
The Man With The Plan
231 IQ
Some bars will let minors play gigs, so long as the underage players get their hands "exed". That said, I've only been to like three places that do this, so don't count on anything.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
GuitarGod610
Marauder of Slaughter
249 IQ
Where I live, it's almost like you can't even really be a successful local band without being 21+ because no one will let you in if you're not (even if you're just a performer)

It's really been pissing me off because it makes it really ****ing hard to find gigs for my band that aren't at stupid teen centers where the audience is just a bunch of 14-year-olds that don't know jack about good music.
Dan Steinman
279 IQ
why can you only find live music in bars/clubs/restaurants? god forbid someone would want to listen to music without being drunk, or that teens would like to hear something besides MTV ****...
gtrfrk123
R.I.P. Syd Barrett
3,477 IQ
Quote by GuitarGod610
Where I live, it's almost like you can't even really be a successful local band without being 21+ because no one will let you in if you're not (even if you're just a performer)

It's really been pissing me off because it makes it really ****ing hard to find gigs for my band that aren't at stupid teen centers where the audience is just a bunch of 14-year-olds that don't know jack about good music.

That isn't a good sign for me, because I see you live in Wisconsin as well.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor
1,354 IQ
GuitarGod610,

You just described my area pretty much. My band is 18-21 year olds and I'm not waiting for them all to turn 21. That's why I'm trying to have 2 bands going at once. Honestly, at the end of this month we have a gig at a bar we are being (sneaked into.) the next day, a gig at a university, and then a few days after that... a gig at a former Scuba diving place that will most likely be filled with 12-17 year old Emo kids. How's that for Variety?
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
RainMustFall
116 IQ
What do you mean by "tour," being a bunch of 13/14-year-olds?
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
hes in an alternative band.....check his pv......thats not the most skilled genre.....but i think that the age you start gigging doesnt matter much xcept for venues and such......although i do think that you should have a real good grasp on the instrument....and gigging aint easy either.....its scary as hell...any ways have fun!!!lol
Shorrock
489 IQ
Quote by r a c e t h e
i mean we tour

who drives you around then?? your mum?
quinny1089
61 IQ
im 16 now, im in a band with another 2 16 yr olds and 2 17 yr olds and we play in 18+ plus places, i played in em when i was 15.

If you have any website with the word 'young band' or your ages or anything take em out, and then dont apprach venues with 'we are a young band' and if they dont ask your ages then thats their problem, its unlikely that they will stop you playing the night of the gig...

thats what my band does...some venues wont even care as long as you put on a show and bring in people....
the only problem is if you have fans under 18 (or 21)...they wont be able to get in
guitarshark2099
UG's Heineken Lover
233 IQ
there may be bro, maybe at like night clubs or something but other than that if there really is no age limit, their gonna go on your band's abilities, or how well you guys play songs
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
acidity
245 IQ
its 16 in england usually, but i think most places are a bit generous, and would let you play if only 1 or 2 of the members on the band were 16+.
life_247
Rock N Roll Life
478 IQ
18 in the uk to get into all the clubs, and a lot allow under 18's in anyways. (my local rock club does)

There are also places run for those under 18 - yeh its tough but try and find actual music clubs rather than pubs.

Uk drinking age is a sensible 18 btw. None of this daft 21ness
evansut7
610 IQ
its not so much your age thats going to discourage these places from letting you play, its the age of the people that are going to want to see you play. if none of your friends can get in, who is going to go watch you and then go and buy drinks or spend money at the place you are playing? you have to be marketable if you are going to get paid to play and its kind of hard when your young. practice every day, write some good songs, and good things will eventually come.
~~cemetary~~
rabid silverchair fan
147 IQ
find where you can get into
if you can't get into a club, play in the parkinglot
if you can't get into the bar, play in a warehouse and spread the word yourself

you want this abd enough, you'll figure something out
can I worship you now? girls with hawks are fucking sexy.

as someone earlier in this thread said, go with one bat. HWAT.

I love you.
coralfankevin
The Dancing Bassist
56 IQ
Obviously I don't know about the US, but in the UK if a place is registered as a 'live music venue' they're allowed to let you in if you're aged 14+
Originally posted by Chapman
And for the dancing bassist...Go dance your ass off a bridge.

Member of the UG Law Students, Inns of Court.
IbanezPlayer27
UG Member
458 IQ
GuitarGod where in wisconsin do u live?
Underage kids can play in the bars here but usually none are good so noone in the bars wants to see them live. lol. I haven't got a band together yet but almost there.
Nybb
▓▒░
345 IQ
Around where I live, most bars will let you play if you're under 18 (Canada, so you can drink at 18) as long as you stay backstage and don't go onto the floor and drink.
Quote by Nybb
Dude, I'm going to sig myself and see if anybody notices.
Slash Jr.
1,046 IQ
I think you can probably play anywhere you want to as long as you bring business. The owner will NOT turn you down if you bring like 50 people wanting food,etc.