Page 5 of 202
Got tickets in the 25th row for the Montreal show. Dead tired though.

What's you guys' favorite cd off of the Towering Above the Rest Collection?

I have to say #2...
Quote by Glen_Hansard
AMNESIAC IS NOT LEFT OVERS FROM THE KID A SESSIONS. FACT.

Listen to Kid A, then listen to Amnesiac. In Kid A, something bad is happening, but Amnesiac has a different feel. The band didn't write Kid A then put all the stuff that didn't make it on Amnesiac, they had a completely different idea for Amnesiac.

from atease

Jonny Greenwood speaking about the material which was omitted from 'Kid A'. He said: "We've got about 13 or 14 songs which we need to edit a little bit, maybe take a couple out, maybe remix one or two, put them in the right order, and then it is done."

However, bassist Colin Greenwood said: "I'm not sure they are two records. We had that group of songs to make one record, and the other ones are left over.

Jonny: "It does sound similar, because it was recorded at the same of time [as kid a] and there is some similar songs.
Last edited by starsnostars at May 5, 2006,
Quote by starsnostars
^from atease:

Jonny Greenwood speaking about the material which was omitted from 'Kid A'. He said: "We've got about 13 or 14 songs which we need to edit a little bit, maybe take a couple out, maybe remix one or two, put them in the right order, and then it is done."

[appropriate O RLY picture]

Quote by starsnostars

UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by Glen_Hansard
AMNESIAC IS NOT LEFT OVERS FROM THE KID A SESSIONS.

Listen to Kid A, then listen to Amnesiac. In Kid A, something bad is happening, but Amnesiac has a different feel.

I have to say I agree with this - I don't like either album, but my understanding of this was that they recorded all the stuff at the same time, and then took that and made both albums at the same time....just released them separately.

The "tale I was told at the time" was that they put out the first one to get rid of the "hangers on" from Creep / Bends / OKC and to make sure that their more complete album (Amnesiac) was then appreciated by the real fans and missed by those who didn't get what Radiohead "was all about"

Which made a lot of sense at the time. And yes I do realise that makes me a Hanger-On but hey we all have to fit in a box at some time
I listened to Kid A for the first time in a good while, and man, it is such a good record. Especially the opening and closing trakcs.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by tezhall
I have to say I agree with this - I don't like either album, but my understanding of this was that they recorded all the stuff at the same time, and then took that and made both albums at the same time....just released them separately.

Quote by starsnostars
from atease

However, bassist Colin Greenwood said: "I'm not sure they are two records. We had that group of songs to make one record, and the other ones are left over.

i'm sorry, but you made me
Quote by pumpkins_rule
I listened to Kid A for the first time in a good while, and man, it is such a good record. Especially the opening and closing trakcs.

Pablo Honey - Typical Debut.
Bends - Most Conventional, but with quirks
OK Computer - Experimental, move away from rock.
Kid A - concept album, single story flowing songs
Amnesiac - bit dischordant in it's structure, but nice counter point to the flow of Kid A
Hail To The Thief - Mix of Bends rockyness and Kid A and Amnesiac's quirkyness and experimentalism.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

I like "How To Dissappear Completely" and the last three tracks the most.

oh and radiohead tickets for MSG sold out in like two minutes and im pissed as **** because we tried to buy them right when they went on sale and couldn't.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Draken
OK Computer - Experimental, move away from rock.

that was their 'rock' album?

i know everyone says it's experimental, but fitter happier is really the only track that comes close to being so. or as i see it.
Quote by starsnostars
that was their 'rock' album?

i know everyone says it's experimental, but fitter happier is really the only track that comes close to being so. or as i see it.

The Bends is their rock album. Electioneering is the only song on OK Computer that is a bit rocky.
Quote by starsnostars
i'm sorry, but you made me

Not being an idiot I had already read that bit

However the point I made does still stand - shock horror maybe Radiohead said something once in an interview that wasn't 100% true in order to have their own private joke at the expense of the corporate music business

I'm not saying it's a fact, like my post said (the bit you helpfully didn't quote to lend your point more weight when you posted it the second time?) it's just what I was told at the time from quite a few people.

End of the day nobody knows what goes on in the band save the band themselves, but think for just one second about them as musicians - are they the sort of people who would put out an album of "leftover" tracks purely because their record company says so? Then when you've thought of that, pull your head out of your arse and start making some sense
Quote by tezhall
Not being an idiot I had already read that bit

However the point I made does still stand - shock horror maybe Radiohead said something once in an interview that wasn't 100% true in order to have their own private joke at the expense of the corporate music business

I'm not saying it's a fact, like my post said (the bit you helpfully didn't quote to lend your point more weight when you posted it the second time?) it's just what I was told at the time from quite a few people.

End of the day nobody knows what goes on in the band save the band themselves, but think for just one second about them as musicians - are they the sort of people who would put out an album of "leftover" tracks purely because their record company says so? Then when you've thought of that, pull your head out of your arse and start making some sense

they've said it more than once. i gave you three times. and i wouldn't believe it to be a joke. they're much more funny than that.

Quote by Glen_Hansard
The Bends is their rock album. Electioneering is the only song on OK Computer that is a bit rocky.

airbag, paranoid android: that's as balls to the wall rock as it gets for radiohead. the bends and just are the only two rock songs from the bends.
Last edited by starsnostars at May 6, 2006,
Thom likes jokes apparently and he gets bored with interviewers who ask inane questions, so he says silly things or random things.
Quote by sirpsycho85
I like "How To Dissappear Completely" and the last three tracks the most.

oh and radiohead tickets for MSG sold out in like two minutes and im pissed as **** because we tried to buy them right when they went on sale and couldn't.

Ha, that's nothing. I went online several minutes before they went on sale and just kept refreshing the page until the tix were available. To no avail, though, as they were sold out and it seemed even before 2 minutes! I haven't seen Radiohead live either so it really sucks. I am seeing some other acts at least, one band this month and a couple more in May. But, how the heck does a band's tickets sell out in under 2 minutes, huh?!?

Btw, there are a lot of organizations that get tickets and then re-sell them for three times as much. Just google Radiohead tickets for an example.
Just recently got into them. Don't know how i missed them for so long!
Quote by starsnostars
they've said it more than once. i gave you three times. and i wouldn't believe it to be a joke. they're much more funny than that.

airbag, paranoid android: that's as balls to the wall rock as it gets for radiohead. the bends and just are the only two rock songs from the bends.

Sorry, I honestly thoguth you'd given us the same quote three times - my bad

The Bends is all rock songs. That's pretty much a given as their "rock" album, OKC was their "transition" album, to the point that me being a self confessed "rocky Radiohead" fan I hated it for bloody years, so I should know if it's rock or not
Quote by starsnostars

Planet Telex, The Bends, My Iron Lung, Just, and Bones to a lesser extent.

Paranoid Android, Electioneering and to a lesser extent Exit Music are the only real rock tracks on OKC. The one's I just mentioned on The Bends are heavier then anything else on OKC.

Quote by tezhall
but think for just one second about them as musicians - are they the sort of people who would put out an album of "leftover" tracks purely because their record company says so? Then when you've thought of that, pull your head out of your arse and start making some sense

:goflclap:
Radiohead is the best band in the world.
--------------------------------------------------------
Kid A is life from waking up to dying. Amnesiac is the randomness yet also the bliss of the afterlife and stuff like that.
Kid A is about the first child after the apocalypse and how he reinvents music, isn't it? Then Motion Picture Soundtrack is him dying and entering the afterlife.

A new Radiohead song 'Bangers 'n Mash' was performed last night at KB Hallen in Copenhagen. The song features Thom on drums during part of the song

EDIT: I just watched the video. Very cool. Whe Thom gets on drums Jonny goes center stage for a while.

"I've got the partisaaaaaaan, the partisaaaaaaaan, partisaaaaan"

I think that's what he's saying anyway...
Last edited by Glen_Hansard at May 7, 2006,
That song is incredible.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
That song is incredible.

Yeah, my favourite of Arpeggi, Cymbal Rush and Bodysnatchers.
The new stuff that's been revealed so far is really good.
Anyone know what the deal is with their tour in terms of tickets?
I was trying to purchase some sixty seconds after their release and they were (and still are) "unavailable".
I'm guessing they sold more in the pre-sale than they anitcipated?
Quote by oblique
NEW RADIOHEAD SONGS YAY

From Copenhagen last night blahblahblah House of Cards blahblahblah

House of Cards has been around for a while. It sounds soooooooo much like old REM
^ I think this is a different version though, apparently some people barely recognized it the first time they heard it. I've never heard the older versions though so I'm not sure.

And every date on their tour sold out within minutes, it was pretty much luck as to who got tickets. And of course now there are hundreds of tickets being scalped by assholes on ebay for hundreds of dollars.
Quote by oblique
^ I think this is a different version though, apparently some people barely recognized it the first time they heard it. I've never heard the older versions though so I'm not sure.

*listens* Woah, that is so different. Better, IMO. You can still hear the REMness, though(I'm not complaining, I love REM)
i only have ok computer and kid a, but i gotta say my fav songs are probaly exit music for a film, idioteque, paraniod android, but yeah both albums are amazing. thom makes me wanna spell my name like that, but id be quite toolish if i did it just cuz he did it.
Bangers 'n' Mash is now probably my favourite song, besides Idioteque.
oh dear god i nearly cried when i didnt get tickets, but yeah i actually cannot wait for the new album.
favourite album: probably HTTT
favourite track: true love waits, talk show host or fake plastic trees
"I'm not afraid of computers taking over. They're just sitting there. I can hit them with a two by four"

-Thom Yorke

member #2 of the radiohead fan club PM draken to join.
Sad news, Phil's mum died RIP Mrs. Selway

The gig in Amsterdam tonight has been cancelled, but UK dates will go ahead.
Quote by Glen_Hansard
Bangers 'n' Mash is now probably my favourite song, besides Idioteque.

I'm really Loving Lucky at the moment that song is sexy.
how many people have seen the newish DVD?

its from london in like 94, and they play a bunch of songs from the bends before they were released, and most of pablo honey

the performance is amazing, they have so much energy

anyone, there is this one song called maquiladora and it completely pwns

does anyone know if its on one of the EPs or imports or something?
Yeah, I have that DVD. Great performance, Jonny is a great guitarist. They actually used the instrumentals from that nights My Iron Lung on The Bends.
Quote by DirgeForTheSun
how many people have seen the newish DVD?

its from london in like 94, and they play a bunch of songs from the bends before they were released, and most of pablo honey

the performance is amazing, they have so much energy

anyone, there is this one song called maquiladora and it completely pwns

does anyone know if its on one of the EPs or imports or something?

It's on High and Dry CD1

I haven't seen the DVD, but I've heard the production is crap and does not do it justice. I have a DVD I taped off VH2, Shepherds Bush (recent, not sure what year), and t'is pwnage.
Sorry for the double post, but some people will want to see this.

www.theeraser.net

It was posted by Thom on Dead Air Space. The domain is owned by Chris Hufford, Radiohead manager.

http://www.theeraser.net/movie03.swf That's yesterday's movie. The way they both end for some reason scares the **** out of me.
Last edited by Glen_Hansard at May 12, 2006,
Ive decided exit music is theyre best song along with bullet proof, everything is in its right place, the whole my iron lung ep, the whole of OK computer, all of the bends, all of pablo honey and more.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Anyone else pick up the 'Exit music' album? I'm sure I saw someone mention it a little earlier but I can't be bothered to search.

The versions of 'Paranoid Android' and 'Knives out' are top stuff. They were two of my favourite Radiohead tracks (but in the other order), and they have not put me off the originals one bit. The album as a whole is about a 5.5/10 to 6.5/10, but its one where the good are really good and the bad are terrible.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic