Page 1 of 4
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
My friend will not belive theyre is a thing as virtuso-nes as he says its impossible to master an insturment, then he compared becker to cobain, please help me get it into him?

Do you think it is possible to be a virtuso? silly question i know, but i firmly belive it I.E Holdsworth and govan

Lets talk
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
metal_man12
butt secks bandit
158 IQ
i think the definition of virtuoso is someone who has gained a certain level of technical abililty(which is entirely based on opinion) on an instrument, thing, etc, not that they have mastered the instrument. so yes, i beleive alot of players are virtuosos.
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Quote by metal_man12
i think the definition of virtuoso is someone who has gained a certain level of technical abililty(which is entirely based on opinion) on an instrument, thing, etc, not that they have mastered the instrument. so yes, i beleive alot of players are virtuosos.

..technical ability cannot be measured in opinion, its fact. How much you like the artist and how they play and how well you tihnk they use it is opinion.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
I don't think it's possible to master an instrument, and I certainly don't think virtuosity is mastery of an instrument.

Maybe some have come closer to mastery than others, but I don't think that should be a literal goal for any musician. A guitar virtuoso, to me, is one who's highly competent in all areas of guitar playing (though not necessarily speed), not one who's mastered every area of guitar playing.

Interesting question though..
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
yes of course there is such thing as being virtuoso. but you can prolly count all of the virtuosos in the world on your hands. Steve Vai for one is definetly virtuoso.
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
I tihnk it is possible, think about it, it is possible to learn and be able to play everything theyre is on guitar no? study the theroy, study all the styles learn to play in the styles and write in the styles, theyre is a limit to the amount of techniques and theroy of the instrument no?
Quote by ZanasCross

EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
but anyone who openly admits their virtuoso will get thrashed on and people say their arrogant. so its probably better not to be virtuoso. lol
EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
for example, IM VIRTUOSO!!!!!!!!!!!
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Quote by EV6
but anyone who openly admits their virtuoso will get thrashed on and people say their arrogant. so its probably better not to be virtuoso. lol

True dat, but i dont think anyone would admit to being a virtuso, people think they are however...

I.e yngwie and our favorite person here, The great kat.

But according to my mate you have to learn every song possible to be a virtuso, but if you learn sometihg like Road Games, would you need to learn smells like teen spirit?
Quote by ZanasCross

metal_man12
butt secks bandit
158 IQ
Quote by cliff_em_all
..technical ability cannot be measured in opinion, its fact. How much you like the artist and how they play and how well you tihnk they use it is opinion.

yea, your right, but wat i meant was the amount of technical ability you need in order to be considered a virtuoso.
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Quote by metal_man12
yea, your right, but wat i meant was the amount of technical ability you need in order to be considered a virtuoso.

Oh my bad, i think to me considered you would have to learn everything
Quote by ZanasCross

EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
ok im not virtuoso lol. and yeah youre right. if you can play.....for example....arpeggios from hell by yngwie, there is no need to learn smells like teem spirit. because, when you can play arpeggios from hell, everyone and their mother knows that you can play smells like teen spirit.
metal_man12
butt secks bandit
158 IQ
or maybe everything in a genre... like michael angelo, id consider him a virtuoso, hes mastered many techniques in rock context, so you could call him a rock virtuoso...
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Yeah i;ve fallen out with 3 people because of this subject aswell

the first person i told him that dimebag wasant a virtuso.
Second i told him that herman li and dimebag werent
Third because he wont listen to me that i think there is a possible thing
Quote by ZanasCross

mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
from webster
1 : an experimenter or investigator especially in the arts and sciences : SAVANT
2 : one skilled in or having a taste for the fine arts
3 : one who excels in the technique of an art; especially : a highly skilled musical performer (as on the violin)
4 : a person who has great skill at some endeavor

I'd say 1-3 is possible. IMO a virtuoso is someone with great/vast technical skill/knowledge. Of course how this is measure is opinon but we can certainly tell the level of difficulty between lets say 2 power chords and a full on arranged orcestral concerto with variety of licks.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
Quote by metal_man12
or maybe everything in a genre... like michael angelo, id consider him a virtuoso, hes mastered many techniques in rock context, so you could call him a rock virtuoso...

this is very very true. i couldnt have put it better myself. micheal angelo batio is definetely a rock virtuoso. some guitar players are virtuosos in many different genres ie.yngwie (classical, rock, and metal)
AngilasGuy
UG's Technique Nazi
508 IQ
Quote by cliff_em_all
True dat, but i dont think anyone would admit to being a virtuso, people think they are however...

I.e yngwie and our favorite person here, The great kat.

But according to my mate you have to learn every song possible to be a virtuso, but if you learn sometihg like Road Games, would you need to learn smells like teen spirit?

Yngwie, I think, was never a virtuoso, I don't think he could play in any style he chose. Although when it comes to technique with what HE does, then thats virtuosity in his own category, if that makes sense. Joe and Vai are definite virtuosos, I honestly think they could play ANY style, and well.

And ew... Great Kat... She's no virtuoso, am I the only one who thinks shes sloppy? The notes sound jangly and mushed together. But she apparently thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread. What a douchebag.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by cliff_em_all
I tihnk it is possible, think about it, it is possible to learn and be able to play everything theyre is on guitar no? study the theroy, study all the styles learn to play in the styles and write in the styles, theyre is a limit to the amount of techniques and theroy of the instrument no?

No.

There has never been a limit, and there never will be a limit. And for that reason, virtuosity is not a club you gain access to when you reach a certain level of proficiency.

Virtuosity is subjective.

Imo*
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
And ew... Great Kat... She's no virtuoso, am I the only one who thinks shes sloppy? The notes sound jangly and mushed together. But she apparently thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread. What a douchebag.

no your not alone. she maeks bastardized version of once great classical pieces. At least Malmsteen does them some justice.

plsu her arrogance makes YNgwie seem like mother Theresa
cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Quote by AngilasGuy
Yngwie, I think, was never a virtuoso, I don't think he could play in any style he chose. Although when it comes to technique with what HE does, then thats virtuosity in his own category, if that makes sense. Joe and Vai are definite virtuosos, I honestly think they could play ANY style, and well.

Im not saying they are, but the great kat seems to reckon she is amazing, i dont like her
Quote by ZanasCross

cliff_em_all
2,963 IQ
Quote by SnowballofDoom
No.

There has never been a limit, and there never will be a limit. And for that reason, virtuosity is not a club you gain access to when you reach a certain level of proficiency.

Virtuosity is subjective.

Imo*

Touché and loving the IMO bit on the end isnt it weird virtusoty although it should be based on technique is based on opinion?
Quote by ZanasCross

mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
^everything in music is abotu opnion.
EV6
UG Newbie
43 IQ
nay, i believe yngwie is virtuoso. he can play classical very very very well, rock very very very well. metal very very very well. and yes, i have seen a few videos of yngwie playing blues very very very well. your right about vai and satch. theyre just probably the most perfect guitar players to live. i bet they wipe their asses with silk.

EDIT: they probably get their asses wiped with silk for them by hot sex servants that voulenteer for it lol.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by cliff_em_all
Touché and loving the IMO bit on the end isnt it weird virtusoty although it should be based on technique is based on opinion?

Yeah, it definitely would make things easier for us

Arguing virtuosity, to me, is like arguing over who the best guitarist is -- you can make some good points, but you'll never convince everyone.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,292 IQ
from dictionary.com, interpret it yourself.

virtuoso - A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.

the Great Kat is in no way a virtuoso, she transcribes pieces from the violin then shoves them down your throat on guitar. And either way, all she shows us is that she can shred which certainly doesn't come in under masterly ability, since that's only one technique used on the instrument. I don't believe Yngwie has achieved virtuosity either, for many of the same reasons. The 3 people that really come to mind for me are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Steve Vai. Also, I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but David Gilmour I believe is near the status of virtuoso as well.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
^ except yngwie doesnt make bastardized versions of classical pieces and atcually makes his own classical creations which IMO are up to par with alot of Baroque songs.
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,292 IQ
^^ you bring a valid point, but he doesn't compose the entire orchestral pieces the way chopin, mozart, etc. did in thier era.
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
^ true but thats why i said up to par. The average onesand the little above average , not the superb ones. But ge has some exception in his Guitar Suite cd like Andante and Fugue IMO.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
You know....while were on the subject of the Great Douche(er...Kat, if you prefer)....does she(or it) even have any fans? I mean, every single person I have ever met has hated her guts and believes she sucks. Does she just pretend to have fans or something? Does it go with her arrogance? her suckyness? Anything?
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
^ im pretty sure there someone with no ears that is a fan
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,292 IQ
I think she has a small fanbase, but to me it looks like its the media that likes her controversial style, and we're basically doing exactly what they want us to by talking about her.
perpetual shred
UG Newbie
402 IQ
i would say guthrie govan is the nearest guy to have mastererd his instrument.... ever really, to my knowledge anways. i would say vai was a virtuoso not satch or malmsteen although they are freakin amazing at the styles they play. like other people have said its down to personal opinion. vai's probably took the guitar "the furthest tho" in my opinion.
oh.. an the great kat sux, why would you call yourself great, sadistic bitch.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Quote by mercedesisbenz
I think she has a small fanbase, but to me it looks like its the media that likes her controversial style, and we're basically doing exactly what they want us to by talking about her.

I know that much. But what I mean is like, I've never heard anyone ever say "so are you getting the new Great Kat album? It's awesome!", or anything like that. It's always "Pff, Kat sucks"(and rightfully so) or varients of that. I just find it amusing.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
Paganini was a virtuouso.

I win, wheres my cookie?

Im sorry all we have are muffins....
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
no. Peacans
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T
724 IQ
...you know i've never thought of it that way......

Im seeing satch also ,on the 29th yays