Page 1 of 2
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Now, obviously blues is one of the most (or at least I certainly find it to be) under-rated of all the genres, but I'm curious as to who you guys think are the most under-rated blues players? Don't have to be guitarists, but who do you guys think?
Side note: I know this is the 'Blues & Jazz Forum', but try and keep it blues.

For me, I'd have to say:
Snowy White - Saw him live last year, he's incredible. Voice isn't exactly great, but his guitar skills are brilliant.

R.L. Burnside - I picked up one of his albums yesterday. My gosh, this man is so unnappreciated. He is absolutely amazing, yet nobody seems to know or talk about him much. Definetly reccomended for any blues fan.
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'
2,782 IQ
I know I mention him all the time, but Billy F. Gibbons!! The man has got soul to spare.

And also Leslie West (his pure blues albums are great), Peter Green, and every other white bluesman who has never been taken seriously because some blues elitists only accept black guys as true bluesmen.

edit: But now that I think about it, ALL blues guitarists are underrated. Because even the best of the genre never recieve the widespread recognition that they deserve.
Last edited by SuburbanCowboy at Apr 17, 2006,
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
stan webb from chicken shack. i used to see him years ago playing pubs in the midlands, sadly he never quite made the bigtime despite being a brilliant electric blues guitar player. i saw him a couple of years ago and he has still got it, despite some eccentric behaviour at times eg including his version of the beatles 'she loves you' in the middle of an otherwise superb set.

have a listen to the cd 'stan 'the man' live' to see what i mean.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
I know I mention him all the time, but Billy F. Gibbons!! The man has got soul to spare.

How is he underrated? He's practically a god and anyone who disagrees is an idiot. Very few people disagree.

I'd say the most underrated is Willie Dixon. He's one of the best songwriters ever, he wrote songs for highly rated bluesmen like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. I know that Jeff Beck covered at least one of his songs and he was the first person to sue Jimmy Page for plagerism. He sued Jimmy more than once too.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
AxeAbuser#2
binned
31 IQ
chris rea and rory gallagher.

enough said..
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
I'd agree with Rea, but not with Rory. Rory is quite known.

But when talking underrated blues, you cant leave out Tinsley Ellis. The man has serious soul, choppage to the max, and a great voice. He's been around for awhile, and yet not many know of him.

And I'd have to say guys like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Chris Duarte also get the underrated bit. People tend to just look at them as being Stevie Ray wanabees, which maybe to some degree they are, but you cant say they dont have serious chops. I've never heard anyone else get tone such as them, specially Kenny Wayne. You know?

And cant leave out John Mayer either. People always diss him because of the pop stuff or other various reasons, but the man knows what he's doing. He knows theory, he uses fucking insane chords in his tunes, and the man sure can play. People just dont give him enough credit either.
Mudder
Sled dog extraordinaire
181 IQ
I was watching the tribute to the Strat on HDnet and John Mayer ran through Red House, in-frickin-credible.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Having seen a couple of the posts, I'd have to definately agree with Chris Rea and Willie Dixon. Both amazing blues players, and - moreso in Dixon's case - fantastic songwriters. Just a shame that bass players never seem to get much recognition...

I certainly wouldn't say John Mayer is under-rated. From what I've heard - which is albeit not much - he's not particularly great.
Steve Cropper
Blues Addict
63 IQ
Mississippi John Hurt transcends the skills of any modern blues guitarist. I have become very attached to Barbecue Bob's raggin blues.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by Steve Cropper
Mississippi John Hurt transcends the skills of any modern blues guitarist.

Agreed. And what soul that man had.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
John Lee Hooker. He's very well known and respected among us bluesmen, but you dont hear his name mentioned on the forums a whole lot.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Johnsonville
BLUES Boy
532 IQ
I'd say Pinetop Perkins
Quote by Frank Zappa
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music post
VR2005
UG Addict
1,507 IQ
I have to completly agree with WyldeGibsonPlyr, Tinsley has to got to be one of the most underated blues guitarist who has it all. I already suggested him for the list of Blues and Jazz Artists I don't know if it has been taken though.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
J.J. Cale!
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
INDUSTRIALMETAL
What is that noise?
133 IQ
Robert Pete Williams is often overlooked. He has some very intersting rhythms and chord structures.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
Id have to say Rory Gallagher becuase he does not get the fame the Stevie Ray and Clapton did even though I see Rory as one of the best Electric and even Acoustic Blues Guitarists of all time.

John Lee Hooker might not be the fastest or the flashiest but he plays the Blues and hes is damn good at it.

And also ive been listening to a lot of Melvin Taylor, hes pretty awesome and dont hear much about him.

And as far as John Mayer goes, I personally think he is amazing and even though he is popular I still think that the Blues community hasnt fully accepted him yet. Even though people like Clapton, B.B., and Buddy Guy all do.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Last edited by IrishBlues at Apr 21, 2006,
bluespunkmetal
A very BIG member
1,800 IQ
JL Hooker IS FAMOUS !!!

Now that they're discussed, are they still "underrated" ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Alarming Carrot
21 IQ
I don't see how anybody could possibly say John Mayer when he has two threads about on the first page, one which 124 posts. That's not underrated, that's vastly overrated.

Where is Blind Blake, Lightnin Hopkins, Bukka White, Skip James, Blind Willie Mctell...? Anything on an acoustic guitar gets zero mention on this board unless played by SRV or Eric Clapton.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^That's not completely true. I love my delta blues. It is a shame it isnt talked about more around here.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
Quote by ufossuck
J.J. Cale!

right on!

very underrated especially considering some of the classic songs he has written.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Quote by Alarming Carrot
I don't see how anybody could possibly say John Mayer when he has two threads about on the first page, one which 124 posts. That's not underrated, that's vastly overrated.

Where is Blind Blake, Lightnin Hopkins, Bukka White, Skip James, Blind Willie Mctell...? Anything on an acoustic guitar gets zero mention on this board unless played by SRV or Eric Clapton.

Because the delta blues can get a bit too much in high doses. I love a bit of it every now and then, but it does get really heavy after a while.
That said, Robert Johnon, Son Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins are amazing.
Sgt. Pepper19
55 IQ
Michael Bloomfield. Far better then Clapton, Page or Hendrix in my opinion.
Alarming Carrot
21 IQ
Quote by SomeEvilDude
Because the delta blues can get a bit too much in high doses. I love a bit of it every now and then, but it does get really heavy after a while.
That said, Robert Johnon, Son Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins are amazing.

I fail to see how this makes sense. 1) Not all of the people could be listed as "delta" blues although I think classifying blues like delta, texas, etc. would get you laughed at by a real blues player. I think a general term such as "acoustic blues" works when discussing the aforementioned. 2) Because you tire of it easily means it shouldn't be discussed at all? I doubt that. I think the real reason why they're hardly ever mentioned is a lot of people have heard of the early acoustic blues just never listen to them. I think it's a shame for such die hard blues fans to ignore such a large and diverse part of their music.

By the way; Bloomfield...great, not better than Hendrix though.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^I agree with practically everything said there. (I just dont think calling it delta or acoustic blues either way is a very big deal. )

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
Speak of the devil, I forgot about the very man on my tee shirt currently. Mr. Albert Cummings. The man has serious soul.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Now if only my internet was fast enough to stream that stuff.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy
627 IQ
Quote by Alarming Carrot
I fail to see how this makes sense. 1) Not all of the people could be listed as "delta" blues although I think classifying blues like delta, texas, etc. would get you laughed at by a real blues player. I think a general term such as "acoustic blues" works when discussing the aforementioned. 2) Because you tire of it easily means it shouldn't be discussed at all? I doubt that. I think the real reason why they're hardly ever mentioned is a lot of people have heard of the early acoustic blues just never listen to them. I think it's a shame for such die hard blues fans to ignore such a large and diverse part of their music.

By the way; Bloomfield...great, not better than Hendrix though.

Hm, I see your point. But what I was getting at (solely the delta blues stuff, fine laugh at me) probably doesn't get discussed much because people don't listen to it particularly much.
I'll admit now, it is kind of stupid to class the blues into various sub-genres, but it happens to everything, so it's just become a habit I guess.
And, sorry for the misunderstanding about acoustic/delta stuff. I don't know why acoustic blues doesn't get discussed much, there's some real gems there. I guess it's just more people today are so used to full bands and electric, so acoustic blues (and folk and classical) go pretty much unnoticed and not listened to.
Sorry the mix-up there though. I agree that it's a damn shame acoustic blues doesn't get listened to much.
Falcatarius
956 IQ
James Taylor could play an extremely badass blues guitar. (and good vocals too) Just listen to "Steamroller" on his Best Of album.

But his skill with an electric was over-shadowed by his song-writing ability on an acoustic. Not to say his song-writing should be pushed out of the spotlight.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Alarming Carrot
21 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Now if only my internet was fast enough to stream that stuff.

Just save it and delete it, that's what I do.
rod koc
160 IQ
Kenny Wayne Sheperd!?
HEY!!, hey ....
Lets not say things we can't take back!
southaustin
14 IQ
Chris Duarte? He's pretty badass, don't ya think? Oh I agree with ya Falcatarius James Taylor's steamroller kicks it.
joeseppy
oriont618
10 IQ
Hey guys, first post. I'm not really into solid blues, but do know a little about guitar and guitar music. I noticed somebody said KWS as well, and don't understand why anyone would ever consider him underrated when he's one of the only "blues" (more like blues rock to "pop blues" (I made the genre up...but because of players like him and John Mayer it will become a genre lol)) players, besides the EXTREMELY overrated John Mayer (he truly is a terribly arrogant untalented SOB), that's recognized by a lot of the general public today. I also don't think Mr. Sheppard is that great, although I do enjoy his Voodoo Chile cover.

What about Scott Henderson? I know a lot of his stuff is jazzy blues or bluesy jazz...but he has a little bit of straight up blues and it's pretty awesome! He's semi-known but, given his talent, not know even close to enough! Or what about Derek Trucks? Do you guys like him? He's an amazing slide blues player as well and I can't find his CDs anywhere in stores! What about Michael Landau? I'm not a huge fan of his...but the man has a bit of talent and not too many of his CDs are in stores either. I'm just trying to get to know the thoughts and feelings of this community a little better. Thanks!
AxeAbuser#2
binned
31 IQ
Scott Henderson is awesome, he can cover jazz/fusion/blues blues rock so fecking well! very underated
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
love_O_rock
388 IQ
Has anyone everheard roy buchannon's(think thats his name) rendition of hey joe, he gets my vote
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
Quote by love_O_rock
Has anyone everheard roy buchannon's(think thats his name) rendition of hey joe, he gets my vote

Roy Buchanan ... yeah his cover of Hey Joe is awesome.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste