Page 1 of 2
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
No thanks.

I used to like them also, but I learned that Ian was a jerk and in it for the wrong reasons. He hurt the D.C. scene pretty bad. Also, he started straight edge, which didn't begin negatively, but some of the kids who heard about it became militant and closed-minded (definitely doesn't refer to all straight-edgers).

So, I haven't listened to them in a while.
somepunkkid
I Ejaculate Fire
880 IQ
^ i had never heard that, then again i dont know much about the band. Amazing how much you learn on UG (maybe thats why its so addicting). So by straight edge im assuming you mean like Anti Alcohol and drugs? Like what did he do to start that?
Last edited by somepunkkid at Apr 18, 2006,
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
He wrote a song called Straight Edge. There's another song called Out of Step With the World (could be something else, I'm not sure) that says, "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't ****," blah blah blah.

So you get the idea, and there's lots of stuff on the internet about it.
the glue man
beep
649 IQ
I use to like them, they got kinda boring. I stopped listening to them before I learned he was a dick and all that. But I still like Fugazi, Minor Threat is just pretty boring though.
Gomorrah
Dissertation 14
577 IQ
Hardcore.

Amazing band.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
bloodstained
UG Board King
266 IQ
Thanks to Nemo and Mach Baron we have half this forum re-wording everything they say.

Yay to ignorance.
Prince
born to lose
390 IQ
i love hardcore, but minor threat just doesn't do it for me.

i would rather listen to NOFX and thats saying a lot
somepunkkid
I Ejaculate Fire
880 IQ
Quote by opivy21
He wrote a song called Straight Edge. There's another song called Out of Step With the World (could be something else, I'm not sure) that says, "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't ****," blah blah blah.

So you get the idea, and there's lots of stuff on the internet about it.

hmm yeah where i live we know those kids as pussies. Not because they dont drink or smoke, we them pussies cuz they think they are cool because they dont drink or smoke. But anyways i had never heard that before thanks for the info
Leftover_Crack
21 IQ
So basically you guys don't hate them for their music, you hate them for Ian Mackaye? Well unlike everyone else on this forum I don't follow whatever johnnynemo says like its the law. I like them and listen to them often.
China Groove
Reefer Madness
243 IQ
Aww dont even get me started, Ian Mackaye is a ****ing tight dude, ive met him a couple times in DC and down here in houston.. anyways quite possibly my favorite band..i even have a minor threat tattoo

if i can figure out how my sisters f*cking camera works ill try and post a picture of it or something
Last edited by China Groove at Apr 19, 2006,
LastCaress88
689 IQ
good band,i like them.

I'm not straight-edge,but i respect the straight-edge thing they have.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Warm-And-Fuzzy
Ihatepunkrock/ithatesme
162 IQ
I don't have anything against Minor Threat.
But there's something that get's me.
It's not Minor Threat's music (Some of the phrasing in the songs is great!).
It's not Ian Mackaye (Even though it's very easy, and fun to joke about him).

But it's what the lyrics in the songs have done to my friends, and other people.
I find that weak minded (usually adolescents) people who find Minor Threat follow the hypocritical bull**** in the lyrics and treat Minor Threat's music like it's some sort of god send, and defend the lifestyle choices that the lyrics promote with a close-minded approach. So it's nothing against the band, it's just... the fans.
(See also: Tool, a perfect circle, Metallica)
(But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's every fan, it's just the people who take these sorts of things too seriously, and forget that there's more out there, in life and in everything else.)
Circle that A, motherfucker!
bloodstained
UG Board King
266 IQ
Basically, so many people can argue Minor Threat's status, but they were a key band in the history of hardcore. You can argue...but you can't deny history.
Prince
born to lose
390 IQ
Quote by bloodstained
Basically, so many people can argue Minor Threat's status, but they were a key band in the history of hardcore. You can argue...but you can't deny history.

that doesn't mean that their music doesnt suck..... a lot.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
I like a couple of the songs... Fugazi, Embrace and the Evens (especially the Evens) are a million times more interesting than Minor Threat... of course I bet they kicked some **** live.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
bloodstained
UG Board King
266 IQ
Quote by Prince
that doesn't mean that their music doesnt suck..... a lot.

opinion anyone???
Prince
born to lose
390 IQ
Quote by bloodstained
opinion anyone???

exactly
stop complaining that people dont like them
Gomorrah
Dissertation 14
577 IQ
Quote by whyvern
I like a couple of the songs... Fugazi, Embrace and the Evens (especially the Evens) are a million times more interesting than Minor Threat... of course I bet they kicked some **** live.

What about Teen Idles?
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
JohnnyNapalm
UG Board King
1,727 IQ
I used to like them a lot more than I do now.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
bloodstained
UG Board King
266 IQ
Quote by Prince
exactly
stop complaining that people dont like them

I'm not complaining, just everyone in here, basically will agree with Nemo and Baron on any matter including or referencing Ian Mackaye?s name in it, cause apparently they came from the same area and the same era. I don't care if you don't like Minor Threat, I don't like them either. They are a part of punk history, like it or not, you can't change the past, anyone trying to sway someone?s perception on the bands take in hardcore is arrogant. Many people will agree that Mackaye was an ass, many people won't.
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
meh, Im not well enough learnt on Ian Mackaye to make any judgements. I used to be really into their music, but I kinda got burnt out on it, I find it repetitive a lot of the time. They do have a few decent songs though.
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker
862 IQ
who the **** cares if he was an asshole, its music and if you like the music, you dont really have to like one person in the band...

thats like me saying, man ROBO from black flag was the biggest douche bag ever, now i hate black flag because of robo.

truth is, i love black flag, and i dont know if robo was a douche bag or not, its just an example. but Minor Threat is a quality band IMO.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
glm
Banned
2,364 IQ
Just started listening to them, I orgasm everytime I listen to them.
Lexicon Devil
262 IQ
Minor Threat makes me want to break things...
Quote by CousticStrangla
I know I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder too.

Quote by Raz_Steroid
So you're a Transformer?
captain_jack
call me Caleb
429 IQ
I just recently started listening to them and I like them a lot. I'm not straight edge or anything but I think the songs that are anti alcohol, drugs and one night stands do make some good points. and yeah, they make me want to break things too.
TheAdict310
1,355 IQ
Their lack of any melody makes me want to break things.

They have a few good songs though.
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User
283 IQ
Minor Threat is awesome. It's kinda annoying how you get stereotyped for listening to them. I'll wear a Minor Threat shirt and people will come up to me and say "Are you sXe?" and I say "**** NO!" and they say "Then why do you listen to Minor Threat?" and then I say "Cause they're ****ing awesome!" and they say "Oh." and I say "Yeah."

Yeah.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
asbestospie
sweet.
157 IQ
Quote by Lexicon Devil
Minor Threat makes me want to break things...
ahaha!! Are you me when I was 13 by any chance?

anyways...
There's so much silliness surronding minor threat and their fans. I guess I am a "fan", but... First off, if Ian Mackaye was a dick, well that's unfortunate but it's not going to stop me from listening to the music. Second, straight edge kids who think their way is the only way and impose their beliefs on others need a kick in the teeth. I think people take some of the lyrics WAY too literally. In my opinion, songs like straight edge and out of step have pretty good points, but that doesn't mean you have to worship every word. But those who aren't straight edge should just lay off and not call the kids who don't want to do drugs pussies. It's all about choice. People need to lighten up.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Ghandhi was the greatest shredder ever.

Quote by Siftings
Ian Mackaye confuses a shot of heroin with his insulin, and hilarity ensues.
M3LL0NC0LL13
Banned
190 IQ
I really like them, even though they're a little preachy on the whole straight edge thing.
Lexicon Devil
262 IQ
I'm not a huge fan, but Minor Threat is just one of those bands that get you pumped, I don't even care about Ian MacKaye and his drama...

And I'm not 13 or straight-edge
Quote by CousticStrangla
I know I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder too.

Quote by Raz_Steroid
So you're a Transformer?
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
F*%$ing servers.
See below.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Quote by bloodstained
I'm not complaining, just everyone in here, basically will agree with Nemo and Baron on any matter including or referencing Ian Mackaye?s name in it, cause apparently they came from the same area and the same era. I don't care if you don't like Minor Threat, I don't like them either. They are a part of punk history, like it or not, you can't change the past, anyone trying to sway someone?s perception on the bands take in hardcore is arrogant. Many people will agree that Mackaye was an ass, many people won't.

Buttstains is back and he's still a lil crybaby, who doesn't know sh*t.

First of all, plaenty of people here disagree with me about a multitude of things.
When I debate someone on a point, I am able to back up my points with actual facts.

You don't have those facts because YOU WEREN'T THERE and you're so dumb that you make the banjo boy in "Deliverance" look like Einstein.

Minor Threat is a band that I saw live (actually I stood outside whilre they played, because they suck live AND in the studio) and you read about in a book.
Why would anyone listen to you, when you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about?

Mach Baron was/is on Dischord Records, so what he said about Ian is from personal knowledge.
What you say is from mindless hero worship, which is what hardcore fans do, because they're stupid.

Mach was incredible in Government Issue and he should be the one people admire, not Ian MacCash.
Remember how GI were live?
Oh, that's right....you weren't even born when they were playing, loser.

And for the millionth f*cking time.......Minor Threat is NOT PUNK, they are Hardcore.
They went way out of their way to show the difference by screaming and making sh*tty metal.
There is a hardcore forum where you could post all about how you want to hump Ian MacKaye's leg, but instead you come here and cry, because you're a bedwetting little b*tch.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.